VWVortex.com - What does this light do?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What does this light do?

1. 03-28-2019 02:01 PM #1
      Any idea what this little orange light is for? Appears to only be on NA models

https://i.postimg.cc/jSKKX7Q9/Screen...1-13-37-AM.png

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2016 GTI 6MT Performance
      03-28-2019 02:08 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by g_f View Post
      Any idea what this little orange light is for? Appears to only be on NA models

https://i.postimg.cc/jSKKX7Q9/Screen...1-13-37-AM.png

It is the orange side marker required by the DOT when low beams are turned on, in US and Canada. There's corresponding red ones in your tail lights also. Some people who don't like the look code them out with OBDeleven/VCDS.

Vehicles
      2017 GTI/Sport, 2015 Golf/S
      03-28-2019 02:20 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by dunkelweizen View Post
      It is the orange side marker required by the DOT when low beams are turned on, in US and Canada. There's corresponding red ones in your tail lights also. Some people who don't like the look code them out with OBDeleven/VCDS.
      If I may add to this... coding out the front side markers will also code out the led's in the inter light housing too, as they share the same channel.
      Join Date as cooloregon: Aug 9th, 2001, now as VWoregon.
      MY17 CSG Sport; DSG, RSe12 hyper black's, CSS muffler, Bilstein B8/H&R sport springs, H&R 26mm rear SB; Ed's LED tails; 35% ceramic tint; OBDeleven coding.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 GTI Performance
      03-28-2019 02:26 PM #4
      And another option for disabling them without coding is to pull the corresponding wire from harness connected to the headlights. DIY on here somewhere...

7. 03-28-2019 02:38 PM #5
      Ok this makes sense. Although considering how close the light is in the assembly to the DRL's and Hi/Low Beams, it seems useless. I suppose it would make sense if it was actually on the side of the car around the wheel arches, but putting it in the headlamp assembly seems to serve no purpose than to tick a DOT checklist box.

Vehicles
      2015 GTI | Autobahn | CSG | DSG | LP | OEM+
      03-28-2019 02:56 PM #6
      Or swap to E-codes for the full effect. Bye bye amber.

500_4480 by Adam Sheikh, on Flickr
      2015 GTI | Autobahn | CSG | DSG | LP | OEM+ | MTM | Delivered June 2, 2014

S F L M K 7 / / /

A D A M S H E I K H . C O M

9. 03-28-2019 03:42 PM #7
      In 1982, also 14 years after the side markers were mandated, DOT conducted a study to analyze the effectiveness of the side marker lamps.

They found a reduction of 106000 side offset accidents (about 16%) and a 21% reduction in non-fatal injuries in those accidents.

Think about that before you deactivate your side markers.

Vehicles
      2015 GTI | Autobahn | CSG | DSG | LP | OEM+
      03-28-2019 04:25 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
      In 1982, also 14 years after the side markers were mandated, DOT conducted a study to analyze the effectiveness of the side marker lamps.

They found a reduction of 106000 side offset accidents (about 16%) and a 21% reduction in non-fatal injuries in those accidents.

Back when sealed beam headlights were a thing, this might hold some water. But modern cars and modern headlights have essentially relegated the amber sidemarkers to mere formalities. Our cars and their DRLs are infinitely more visible than a tiny amber LED will ever be.
      2015 GTI | Autobahn | CSG | DSG | LP | OEM+ | MTM | Delivered June 2, 2014

S F L M K 7 / / /

A D A M S H E I K H . C O M

11. 03-28-2019 04:31 PM #9

in general, i tend to agree; but to the golf (specifically the mk7.5 lamp assembly) these side marker lamps seems useless. Personally i'm not sure i'm comfortable deactivating it - but in my opinion it doesn't look very good.

12. 03-28-2019 05:47 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by AdamSheikh View Post
      Back when sealed beam headlights were a thing, this might hold some water. But modern cars and modern headlights have essentially relegated the amber sidemarkers to mere formalities. Our cars and their DRLs are infinitely more visible than a tiny amber LED will ever be.
      And I'm sure you have a study to support that assertion.

13. 03-28-2019 05:53 PM #11
      in general, i tend to agree; but to the golf (specifically the mk7.5 lamp assembly) these side marker lamps seems useless. Personally i'm not sure i'm comfortable deactivating it - but in my opinion it doesn't look very good.
      You're right, some manufacturers integrate them nicer - but - they are still required.

If you are in an accident and you've deactivated a mandated safety device, then your insurance company can refuse to pay your damages and you can be cited. In addition, you can be found "at fault" because you didn't have all of the safety devices even if the lack of the devices wasn't the cause of the accident.

14. 03-28-2019 05:58 PM #12
      Here's the bottom line:

You now know the law
      You've seen the study showing they are effective
      You know some of the consequences

Now you can decide what you want to do.

15. 03-28-2019 06:50 PM #13
      as a side note to this - how exactly do import cars from Europe/rest of the world work legally speaking, that don't appear to have these lamps or any other feature(s) for that matter.

16. 03-28-2019 07:03 PM #14
      as a side note to this - how exactly do import cars from Europe/rest of the world work legally speaking, that don't appear to have these lamps or any other feature(s) for that matter.
      Huh? In order to register a car in the US, it must comply with all of the regulations. Imports have all of the required equipment - including the sidemarkers.

17. 03-28-2019 08:31 PM #15
      Huh? In order to register a car in the US, it must comply with all of the regulations. Imports have all of the required equipment - including the sidemarkers.
      I Must have been wrong, I thought only the NA Golf's had marker lamps.

18. 03-28-2019 08:46 PM #16
      I Must have been wrong, I thought only the NA Golf's had marker lamps.
      Correct. VW makes a separate headlight and taillight for NA to meet the US/CDN regs.

Oddly enough, sidemarkers aren't permitted in Germany and the German modding community buys US lights to get the sidemarkers.

The grass is always greener on the other side.

Vehicles
      '16 Golf R, '08 Z4M coupé, '17 Kawasaki Versys 650
      03-28-2019 09:00 PM #17
      +1

I can't fathom why anyone would want to remove or code these lights out. They serve a purpose and they are VERY unobtrusive. It's the old change for the sake of change thing. No actual logic applied.

I remember years ago when euro guys were adding DOT-spec side marker lights to their euro cars that didn't come with them. Why? Same reason - because of change for the sake of change. I doubt anybody had safety in mind, though that was an actual side benefit.

'16 Golf R 6MT
      '08 Z4 M Coupé
      '17 Kawasaki Versys 650

Vehicles
      '16 Golf R, '08 Z4M coupé, '17 Kawasaki Versys 650
      03-28-2019 09:05 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by AdamSheikh View Post

'16 Golf R 6MT
      '08 Z4 M Coupé
      '17 Kawasaki Versys 650

21. 03-28-2019 09:46 PM #19
      Guess this spells trouble for anyone with/thing about the euro style tail lamps over here? Although technically speaking, you can see the light from the side as the tail lamp curves round the body?

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 GTI Performance
      03-29-2019 01:18 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
      I can't fathom why anyone would want to...

I remember years ago when...
      I feel like there should also have been a “this is absolutely ridiculous” somewhere in there.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 GTI Performance
      03-29-2019 01:20 AM #21
      Guess this spells trouble for anyone with/thing about the euro style tail lamps over here? Although technically speaking, you can see the light from the side as the tail lamp curves round the body?
      Potentially problematic, yes.

The euro incandescent outer tails that I have are reflective in the same way on the sides, but they do not have the little red LEDs like the NAR ones do.

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R Tech/DSG
      03-29-2019 02:09 AM #22
      Correct. VW makes a separate headlight and taillight for NA to meet the US/CDN regs.
      Which is one reason why Mk7 didn't get the LED tails.
      Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta Gti
      I lose brain cells coming in here everyday.

25. 03-29-2019 10:32 AM #23
      There are a couple of things to consider here:

The actual requirement in the regulation
      The enforcement of that regulation
      The intent of the regulation
      Workarounds that may meet the intent of the regulation
      Your risk tolerance for a particular mod and consequence
      and
      Decide if the benefits outweigh the downsides

Let me give you an example:

The regulation on headlights prohibits any covers including films
      Some states check for covers during periodic inspection
      The intent is to prevent degradation and light scatter
      A clear film, placed on a new headlight, and replaced if it gets damaged. This may actually keep the lens clearer for a longer time period
      A very low risk tolerance is required. A properly installed film is invisible.
      and
      The benefits (longer clear lens life, additional resistance to damage) outweigh the downsides (violating the letter of the regulation)

If you go though a similar decision making process with your mods, then you'll most likely end up with a more reliable and effective mod with a lower possibility of getting into warranty or legal trouble.

Vehicles
      2018 GTI
      03-29-2019 11:08 AM #24
      And I'm sure you have a study to support that assertion.
      Quoting a 37 year old study is hardly what I'd call relevant in the era of people snapchatting while driving and people sleeping behind the wheels of Teslas...

27. 03-29-2019 11:25 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by HBird View Post
      Quoting a 37 year old study is hardly what I'd call relevant in the era of people snapchatting while driving and people sleeping behind the wheels of Teslas...
      It is a lot more relevant than "nothing" or "although I know nothing about the subject, I'm jump in and give my expert opinion"

Some moron snapchatting or napping has nothing to do with lighting.

Do you know the reason that sidemarkers were mandated?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast