Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: '07 Rabbit 2.5L Auto – Central NJ – 186k mi

Vehicles
      Rabbit, Ninja
      03-28-2019 02:27 PM #1
      Everyone always wants to know, 'why are you selling?' and 'what's wrong with it?' So let's get right to it.

This past summer I brought it to the dealership to have rust on the hood and hatch looked at under the 12 year rust warranty. They agreed to replace the hood and fix the hatch, but a back order on parts led to them having it for nearly a whole month. My wife and I had a loaner the entire time, which turned out to be a brand new Jetta. As much as my wife loves the Rabbit (and we've been the only owners), all the new bells and whistles were too much to ignore and she started on me about getting a new car. I pushed her off for the last few months but I can't ignore her anymore. To be fair, it's been 12 years since she's had a new vehicle.

Up front, I'll let you know the issues the Rabbit has. (1) I have a VAG-COM and it throws one code for an intermittent radiator fan issue. The fans work and I've never had an issue with it overheating so I suspect it is a sensor or connector issue. (2) The vacuum pump seals need to be replaced. If you're familiar at all with the 2.5L engines, this is the most common issue I have found in my reading and time on the forums. The pump itself is fine, but it's leaking. The seal kit is around $40. If you're curious as to how big of a job this is, I watched this Youtube video in preparation for repairing it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=TvMWRCR7y_E

She got new rubber just before this winter, so there are probably fewer than 3,000 miles on the tires. I did the rear pads and rotors last year, and front pads and rotors the year before. I did new struts and shocks around the same time as the front brakes. She's been bullet proof the entire time we've had her. Around 100k miles I had coil pack go out on me (suprise!) and I limped home from work on 4 cylinders. I replaced all the coils and plugs at that time.

Oil changes have been done between 5k and 10k for the entire life of the vehicle. I had the trans filter and fluid done around 130k miles. (For anyone that's familiar with this, VW originally stated this was a “lifetime” transmission situation and then a few years later decided that was a bad idea and changed it to a 60 or 80k interval.) The only major issue she had was that around 45k miles the transmission was replaced with a brand new unit. There was apparently a bad seal that couldn't be fixed, so while the rest of the car, engine, etc. has 186k miles, the transmission is sitting around 140k.

She's been stock her entire life. I've made a few quality of life improvements, including aspherical side mirrors, an auto-dimming rear view mirror, WeatherTech rubber mats, and a few years ago I reupholstered the headliner (it started sagging, as they all do) and the pillars. Typically the headliners are gray, but I redid it in black. I also have the Gorilla mat in the hatch and the storage tray under the hatch deck lid.

All other maintenance was done religiously and I keep solid records and receipts for most purchases.

Exterior paint and body are what you would expect for a vehicle of this age and mileage and the interior is better than normal as I'm serious about having a clean ride.

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.

Asking $1900.

Last edited by OettingerGTI; 04-01-2019 at 02:58 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      Rabbit, Ninja
      04-01-2019 03:00 PM #2
      I replaced the passenger side half-shaft this afternoon to address a wobble I had under acceleration. The wobble is gone and she's riding smooth again. Both front axles have been replaced this year, so one less thing to worry about.

4. 04-04-2019 06:01 PM #3
      I may have a serious intreset in this. How far are your from the zipcode 18951

Sent from my 306SH using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      Rabbit, Ninja
      04-05-2019 08:32 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Doobie Howser View Post
      I may have a serious intreset in this. How far are your from the zipcode 18951

I'm in Bridgewater, and according to Google Maps it looks like an hour and change. I also frequently travel to Easton, so it's possible I could meet you some time.

7. 04-05-2019 05:21 PM #5
      are you planning on fixing the oil leak from the vacuum pump? Its my understanding that there is more than one way to fix this issue. I belive there is a vaccum pump delete kit which may make the job easier....

Vehicles
      Rabbit, Ninja
      04-05-2019 07:21 PM #6
      are you planning on fixing the oil leak from the vacuum pump? Its my understanding that there is more than one way to fix this issue. I belive there is a vaccum pump delete kit which may make the job easier....

You are correct that there is more than one way -- 3 in fact. You can straight up replace the pump, which in this case is a lot of money spent on something that's not actually broken; you can pull the pump and replace the seals; or you can install the pump delete plate, and in that case you have to tap off of the manifold to get the necessary vacuum pressure. All 3 require you to access and remove the pump, so I don't see any one way being easier than the others, but that's just opinion. Right now I'm not in a rush to replace it. It leaks about a half quart between oil changes, over the course of 7500 miles or so, and the pump itself works fine. With warmer weather coming it might be something I tackle sooner rather than later.

9. 04-05-2019 08:15 PM #7
      is there any other major or minor maintenance that is notable... say prehaps the waterpump or valve cover gasket or any other recalls or warranties that were fixed by the dealer? also what year were the pictures taken? are they recent pictures?

Vehicles
      Rabbit, Ninja
      04-05-2019 10:06 PM #8
      is there any other major or minor maintenance that is notable... say prehaps the waterpump or valve cover gasket or any other recalls or warranties that were fixed by the dealer? also what year were the pictures taken? are they recent pictures?

The pictures were taken the morning I posted the thread. That's exactly how she looks right now.

I'm not sure what you mean by major maintenance? Does anything else need to be fixed? No. The only issue is the vacuum pump seal.