VWVortex.com - Mazda says 'sayonara' to manual transmission in Mazda 6...
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mazda says 'sayonara' to manual transmission in Mazda 6...

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '13 Optima SX-L, '11 MKX, '06 ER-6N
      03-29-2019 09:46 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Here we have exhibit #1 on why manuals are being removed from most mainstream vehicles. Manual buyers tend to be picky on body styles, trim levels, options, and exterior colors. It's like "ohhh I have cash in hand for a manual Mazda6 but only if it comes in wagon form with cloth ventilated seats without seat heaters and in phoenix metallic puke brown!"
      I think a lot of online manual advocates have no plans to buy any of these cars in the first place, and just work backwards to create a narrative to justify their decision.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Banned by John until they unbanned me zukiphile's Avatar
      03-29-2019 09:49 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Beanboy View Post

Manual transmission enhances attention and driving performance of ADHD adolescent males: pilot study.
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17085632
      Outstanding; a study about me.

It shouldn't be a mystery that consumers amongst whom more choice is generally regarded as good would generally regard the deletion of the simpler and less expensive option as bad.
      Unofficial Feelings Manager for OT.
      Quote Originally Posted by vwtool
      You called me a "moron" on the Vortex, which is clearly in violation of the terms of use. I reported you.

4. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      03-29-2019 09:53 AM #28
      Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo*

*I wouldn't have bought one anyway

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Lincoln MKZ AWD
      03-29-2019 11:12 AM #29
      I thought that I wanted to buy a new 2018 base 6 until I drove one. Despite being the supposedly sporty option in its class, the seats are so flat that they might as well be a bench and the driver's seat bottom is so high off the floor that it feels like an old Buick.

The car itself handles well, looks good, is nicely equipped and priced... But that seating ruined it. My old man Lincoln has more sporty seats and a more sporty seating position.

6. 03-29-2019 11:16 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      I think a lot of online manual advocates have no plans to buy any of these cars in the first place, and just work backwards to create a narrative to justify their decision.
      Either that, or the continuing reduction in models offering a manual option leads them to believe that they'll be left with no option but to take an automatic at some point. Which isn't what they want.
      Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kirk, The Final Frontier
      Damn it, Bones, you're a doctor. You know that pain and guilt can't be taken away with a wave of a magic wand. They're the things we carry with us, the things that make us who we are. If we lose them, we lose ourselves. I don't want my pain taken away. I need my pain.

7. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      03-29-2019 11:24 AM #31
      I'm shocked anyone still offers a manual transmission in this class of car.

I wouldn't have bought a 6 with a manual because that'd mean not getting the 2.5T and nicer interior features/appointments. And it's clear 99% of other purchasers don't care either.

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      03-29-2019 12:31 PM #32
      When I was in my early 20's, a manual transmission was a top 3 want. A big part of that was because the manual got the most out of small 4cyl motors, and it usually cost a GRAND less than the automatic version.

Now that I'm in my very late 40's, it's about #15 on my list of wants/needs. A big part of that is because the manuals aren't even offered in a lot of cars I like, and modern automatics are so much better than they used to be.

Seems a manual will always stick around in real sports cars, so I'm good with that.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 GTI, '18 F22, '13 E88, etc.
      03-29-2019 12:35 PM #33
      I can't say I'm upset about this, it's Mazda's Camcord.

If they stopped making the Miata in stick, now that would be unsettling news.

Vehicles
      03-29-2019 01:03 PM #34
      The 6 really is a very pretty sedan though, a standout visually in this segment imo.

The interior also punches above its class, with a clean design and top notch materials.

Mazda's automatic is a really good one (not a CVT) and well matched to the current 2.5 engine. Honestly, these are good cars that probably should be selling better than they do.

Given that the Manual was only available on the base "sport" trim, I doubt this move effects sales at all in the long run.

11. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      03-29-2019 01:08 PM #35
      Sad but not totally unexpected.
      I was actually surprised when the 2013 Mazda6 had a manual.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 GTI, '18 F22, '13 E88, etc.
      03-29-2019 01:21 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      The 6 really is a very pretty sedan though, a standout visually in this segment imo.
      Not sure if this is directed at me, but fwiw, hands down the 6 would be my choice in the Camcord segment. I just think this will affect a small percentage of those buyers, whereas for the Miata it's probably more than half.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporin
      Honestly, these are good cars that probably should be selling better than they do.
      Sadly, I think this is true for Mazda's entire lineup. It's a sad truth that superior marketing can at times beat superior design and engineering.
      Last edited by ghost03; 03-29-2019 at 01:24 PM.

Vehicles
      A domestic and an import, but not beer.
      03-29-2019 01:22 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Zunflower View Post
      Or is it bull**** enthusiasts pipe in when trying to present an argument about manual superiority?
      Quote Originally Posted by ForTheWin View Post
      Either that, or the continuing reduction in models offering a manual option leads them to believe that they'll be left with no option but to take an automatic at some point. Which isn't what they want.
      Modern autos are quite good these days, with some exceptions (Ford DCT, I'm looking at you.) Sometimes it does, simply, come down to personal choice. That's all. No agendas, no crazy rationalizations, some people just like manuels for whatever reason they have.

I'm one. I'd buy another manual given the choice, but if my next vehicle that suits my needs and wants had an auto, so be it.
      Smooremin: "Dont worry. My corset really fills me out ."
      Sold Over Sticker: "The only difference between innuendo and flirting is the desired result. "
      KidL: "Dammit, Chippy! You're making bad choices!"

14. Banned by John until they unbanned me zukiphile's Avatar
      03-29-2019 01:29 PM #38
      Not transmission related, but I concur. In this generation and the prior one, Mazda used creases in the sheet metal to make the basic box shape less boxy, prettier and better proportioned. The prior generation was probably better at this.

On the other hand, many competitor designs look as if someone made a car and an editor said "We need MORE creases!". MB and Hyundai put out some rough looking sedans.
      You called me a "moron" on the Vortex, which is clearly in violation of the terms of use. I reported you.

Vehicles
      03-29-2019 01:52 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      Not transmission related, but I concur. In this generation and the prior one, Mazda used creases in the sheet metal to make the basic box shape less boxy, prettier and better proportioned. The prior generation was probably better at this.

On the other hand, many competitor designs look as if someone made a car and an editor said "We need MORE creases!". MB and Hyundai put out some rough looking sedans.
      They claim to use more clay than anyone else, and thus, more "handmade" design. If that's true, I think it shows.

16. 03-29-2019 01:59 PM #40

Even with the black plastic in the front, I still say Mazda made the best looking hatchback overall.
      Last edited by ForTheWin; 03-29-2019 at 02:12 PM.
      Damn it, Bones, you're a doctor. You know that pain and guilt can't be taken away with a wave of a magic wand. They're the things we carry with us, the things that make us who we are. If we lose them, we lose ourselves. I don't want my pain taken away. I need my pain.

17. Banned by John until they unbanned me zukiphile's Avatar
      03-29-2019 02:08 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by ForTheWin View Post
      Even with the black plastic in the front, I still say Mazda bade the best looking hatchback overall.
      I thought about a Mazda3 for a while.

The basic shape isn't great; the hood looks long in a way that seems pre-modern and the roof is a bit low, but the notable thing about its appearance is the way the whole thing tied together. In contrast, I would describe a lot of auto styling of the past decade as not just busy, but also disjointed.

How a car is styled may be amongst the least important of its attributes to its driver, but Mazda is due a compliment for its good work.

18. 03-29-2019 02:14 PM #42
      I thought about a Mazda3 for a while.

The basic shape isn't great; the hood looks long in a way that seems pre-modern and the roof is a bit low, but the notable thing about its appearance is the way the whole thing tied together. In contrast, I would describe a lot of auto styling of the past decade as not just busy, but also disjointed.

How a car is styled may be amongst the least important of its attributes to its driver, but Mazda is due a compliment for its good work.
      Same with the Mazdaspeed 3.

Agreed on all counts there.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      '13 Optima SX-L, '11 MKX, '06 ER-6N
      03-29-2019 02:43 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      Sadly, I think this is true for Mazda's entire lineup. It's a sad truth that superior marketing can at times beat superior design and engineering.
      I think Mazda may have the best marketing narrative of the mainstream companies. A lot of Mazda owners I know are like cupcake dog. JINBA ITTAI. ZOOM ZOOM

The cars are reliable, beautiful and great to drive. But Mazda still suffers from sparse dealership networks and a general lack of brand recognition. It is what it is. They are still around, available and doing OK. About all I can realistically ask for.

Vehicles
      '15 TLX. 13 TSX-W, '01 S2000
      03-29-2019 02:59 PM #44
      Honda will be happy to sell you an Accord Sport with a 1.5T or a 2.0T.

21. 03-29-2019 03:03 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by Karl O. View Post
      Honda will be happy to sell you an Accord Sport with a 1.5T or a 2.0T.
      Too fugly.

Vehicles
      2014 Mazda3 Sport GS - 1982 Honda CB750K
      03-29-2019 05:04 PM #46
      Mazda's automatic is a really good one (not a CVT) and well matched to the current 2.5 engine. Honestly, these are good cars that probably should be selling better than they do.
      couldn't agree more. Dare I say it's the only conventional automatic worth a damn in an affordable car? It's quick, yet it's smooth, and yet it has a torque converter. It puzzles me how other manufacturers haven't made something similarly good.

And I have no idea why these cars don't sell better than they do. They drive so well, and are now quite comfy too.
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/286588.png
      Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 1997 Jeep ZJ
      03-29-2019 10:00 PM #47
      Back in the day you could get a manual for a couple grand less. The automatics would always shift all over the place and be in the wrong gear, hence it was better to row your own. Thieves and people that want to drive your car don't know how to drive stick either.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Chevrolet SS 6M
      03-29-2019 10:30 PM #48
      1) You guys must know a few people who have been driving automatics for years, but say they'd like to have a manual again, right? They keep saying this, and yet they keep buying ****ing automatics. If all of the people who say they want a manual again and are able would buy them new, the manual transmission wouldn't be in an iron lung.

2) All too many enthusiasts who do buy manuals only buy them used. You talk about depreciation hits? Look at your interest rate.

3) I'd be more than happy to accept a market reality of manual transmissions being a cost option, reversing what used to be the case. Again, this would require both enthusiasts and regular consumers who say they'd like a manual to actually buy them... New.
      Quote Originally Posted by Broduski View Post
      TCL would suggest a Bi-Turbo to a single mother of 4 just for sh*t's and giggles.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Here we can all drive like Colin McRae in his prime, earn $25k a month and bang super models. We can also text and drive.
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      The manual may be in an iron lung, but it isn’t dead yet.

Vehicles
      98 BMW M3
      03-29-2019 11:48 PM #49
      I have had a manual for all my life, but after driving my mom's Mazda 3 with the 6 speed auto, I don't think I would care if I had to scrap the manual. It's that good.
      Last edited by esrballa; 03-29-2019 at 11:55 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12