VWVortex.com - MK Jetta (Bora) front interior lights not working
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: MK Jetta (Bora) front interior lights not working

1. 03-28-2019 03:58 PM #1
      Hello guys,

I got myself a 2003 mk4 Jetta Estate two months ago and here is my issue that I am trying to diagnose for some while. Basically, my front interior light is not working when opening any of the front doors. When turned to ON position, so basically turning the light on manually, it works perfectly, so the issue is somewhere else. The interior lights work perfectly when opening any of the rear doors or the boot. Also, when opened, the red lights in the front doors doorcards do not light up. I first thought that I have a bad door lock switch somewhere, yet the door locks are not acting funny at all, the car locks and unlocks as it's supposed to be. I want to mention that also, maybe linked to this problem, is that my windows do not roll up and down when holding the key in door in lock/unlock position.

Maybe one of you has an idea of what to look for.

Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      04 Jetta 1.8t
      03-28-2019 06:52 PM #2
      Hey so I believe the fact that the lights in the door and interior lights don’t come on is because they are triggered by a microswitch when the door is opened. It’s a very common issue on the MK4 for the car not to know when the door is open to send the signal for the lights to turn on. Both of my Mk4s have this problem with the driver door. I believe replacing your door latch mechanism with a fully functioning unit should solve the issue, it’s just quite a pain to get to as the window has to be removed

4. 03-29-2019 02:54 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by raamzz View Post
      Hey so I believe the fact that the lights in the door and interior lights don’t come on is because they are triggered by a microswitch when the door is opened. It’s a very common issue on the MK4 for the car not to know when the door is open to send the signal for the lights to turn on. Both of my Mk4s have this problem with the driver door. I believe replacing your door latch mechanism with a fully functioning unit should solve the issue, it’s just quite a pain to get to as the window has to be removed
      I know that there is quite a bit of work to do to get the door latch mechanism off, but I also read online that the one of these micro switches go bad, that car locking system starts to act funny, locking/unlocking by itself. Mine does not do that, so that's why I was wondering if the door latch is bad or not.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      1999.5 Jetta MKIV 2.0 dead
      03-29-2019 08:40 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by calin.stefan94 View Post
      I know that there is quite a bit of work to do to get the door latch mechanism off, but I also read online that the one of these micro switches go bad, that car locking system starts to act funny, locking/unlocking by itself. Mine does not do that, so that's why I was wondering if the door latch is bad or not.
      When my microswitches went bad in my MKIV Jetta the locks didn't act funny right away. Eventually they started acting funny and then got to the point where the drivers door would not lock or unlock anyway but manually. The funny thing is that the alarm still worked the whole entire time.
      Quote Originally Posted by a sneaky panda View Post
      its not a whip, its a car...your not driving a jdm tin can. use proper english

and before you say anything else stupid they are WHEELS not RIMZ

7. Member
      Vehicles
      04 Jetta 1.8t
      03-29-2019 09:22 AM #5
      Mine does not act funny or anything it just doesn’t enable the lights when the door is opened. It also locks after 30 seconds of unlocking even when the driver door has been opened because again it’s not getting the signal. Quite an annoying issue to chase but there are plenty of MK4s at the wreckers you could grab a few door latches and hope for the best