VWVortex.com - Service reminder at 5,500 miles? New MK7 Jetta
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Service reminder at 5,500 miles? New MK7 Jetta

1. 03-28-2019 06:02 PM #1
      today I got the 29 days left for service reminder at startup. My car only has ~5500 miles. purchased in august 18. I was under the impression that the service interval was 10K for the first service...

I have also been getting letters from the dealers that it was time to come in for the first service?

Nothing is wrong with the car and the oil level checked on dip-stick seems fine... what gives...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 VW Jetta Execline
      03-28-2019 06:33 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by kasher_khan View Post
      today I got the 29 days left for service reminder at startup. My car only has ~5500 miles. purchased in august 18. I was under the impression that the service interval was 10K for the first service...

I have also been getting letters from the dealers that it was time to come in for the first service?

Nothing is wrong with the car and the oil level checked on dip-stick seems fine... what gives...
      Your dealer likely did not reset the time in days after the car was assembled. Have them reset it at the appropriate time when you get your first oil change.

Dave
      2019 Jetta Execline (aka SEL) 1.4L
      Dave
      2019 Jetta Execline (aka SEL) 1.4L

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Jetta Execline (SEL-P)
      03-28-2019 06:36 PM #3
      Or like lots of dealers out there they don't set it according to the manual.

Mine wanted me to come in at about 7500km and 1st service is 15000km. I did since I had to get winter tires on anyways but I have seen people complain that it is getting set wrong from the dealer.

TL;DR Dealer wants more money from service/oil changes/etc.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 03-28-2019 07:20 PM #4
      I'm going to make the assumption that they are starting to find out that these engines consume oil quicker then the 10,000 mile service can cover. For example my SEL gave me a low oil level message right around 5,500 miles. Took it into the dealer next day sure enough the oil level was low. My dealer told me it was normal for these engines to consume a large amount of oil as they are in the break-in period. He said they should level out to a normal consumption after the first oil change.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

7. 03-29-2019 10:03 AM #5
      I got a notice in the mail today again from VW USA.

Apparently there is a problem with some sort of sealant in the engine bay on something ... can't remember exactly where.

So they want me to come in for the recall. I don't know if they can remotely tell the car to push out the service reminder.

Anyways, I will go in and have them check out oil level as well. I am not planning on changing the oil before 10k.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 VW Jetta S, 2007 BMW R1200R
      03-29-2019 10:47 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by kasher_khan View Post
      In the US, the interval for the first service is 10K miles or 1 year, whichever first occurs.
      Last edited by fudgeripple!; 03-29-2019 at 12:00 PM.
      David
      Santa Cruz CA