VWVortex.com - Lift Kit
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Lift Kit

1. 03-29-2019 07:15 AM #1
      Is anyone here familiar with Pro Comp Lift Kits? Should I consider it or go for another brand instead. I will be installing it on my Ford Raptor.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2010 CX-7 Turd-bo
      04-09-2019 05:27 PM #2
      No experience with Pro Comp but I've always heard good things about ReadyLift and BDS.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      I cannot begin to imagine the amount of gas that has gone through both the engine and those seats.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic View Post
      I've pulled 1.2g on the toilet so color me unimpressed.
      FEELTHEBERN

4. Member
      Vehicles
      18 Ara Blue S3, 98 Cherokee offroad toy, 08 Duramax, 91 GMC Syclone
      04-10-2019 11:31 PM #3
      Pro Comp are okay.

I think that there would be way better options for a raptor. I would jump on the Raptor forums and start researching.
      18 Audi S3 Ara Blue, magma red interior
      91 GMC Syclone
      98 Jeep Cherokee- Caged offroad toy
      08 Duramax tow rig

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Chevy Tahoe LT
      04-11-2019 03:30 PM #4
      It seems to me with a truck like a Raptor that Pro Comp would be a step down compared to the stock suspension but I don't have any personal experience with them.
      If it was me in a Raptor I would be looking at King and Fox but I know they're pricey for sure... but a Raptor is pricey

7. n00b
      Vehicles
      1981 Rabbit
      05-20-2019 02:44 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by cruisenow84 View Post
      Is anyone here familiar with Pro Comp Lift Kits? Should I consider it or go for another brand instead. I will be installing it on my Ford Raptor.
      Having worked at 4 Wheel Parts for several years (but that was like a decade ago) and have kind of a bastard ProComp lift on my XJ.... I'd say ProComp products are generally fine. The core components are as good as any of the popular lift companies- I've yet to break or have any quality concerns. My customers (back then) had no issues. There's certainly a lot worse out there. The springs and dampening components are where you'll notice a difference, so ride quality is where lots of these kits differ. ProComp shocks and coilovers are made by somebody else and branded as ProComp, but I don't remember who and it may have changed by now. Again- it was rarely a problem, but we would upgrade people to Bilsteins or something else if they had ride comfort complaints.

Without knowing enough about the kit you're looking at or the kits for a Raptor, I would say you're likely downgrading from the Raptor's OE. The problem is the Raptor uses pretty high quality stuff from the factory.

In general... lift kits are a labor of love. Things are never the same, and everything seems to wear faster when you've got a bigger tire torturing the remaining stock components. I wanted my XJ to look bad ass and not like a family cruiser (which is now is anyway) but it handle worse, stops worse, steers worse, and is marginally better offroad (I can take less forgiving lines). Is it really worth it? I think the Raptor is generally pretty awesome stock.... but it's up to you...

8. 06-22-2019 08:31 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by ThePOWERtoRULE View Post
      Having worked at 4 Wheel Parts for several years (but that was like a decade ago) and have kind of a bastard ProComp lift on my XJ.... I'd say ProComp products are generally fine. The core components are as good as FileZilla UC Browser Rufus any of the popular lift companies- I've yet to break or have any quality concerns. My customers (back then) had no issues. There's certainly a lot worse out there. The springs and dampening components are where you'll notice a difference, so ride quality is where lots of these kits differ. ProComp shocks and coilovers are made by somebody else and branded as ProComp, but I don't remember who and it may have changed by now. Again- it was rarely a problem, but we would upgrade people to Bilsteins or something else if they had ride comfort complaints.

Without knowing enough about the kit you're looking at or the kits for a Raptor, I would say you're likely downgrading from the Raptor's OE. The problem is the Raptor uses pretty high quality stuff from the factory.

In general... lift kits are a labor of love. Things are never the same, and everything seems to wear faster when you've got a bigger tire torturing the remaining stock components. I wanted my XJ to look bad ass and not like a family cruiser (which is now is anyway) but it handle worse, stops worse, steers worse, and is marginally better offroad (I can take less forgiving lines). Is it really worth it? I think the Raptor is generally pretty awesome stock.... but it's up to you...
      I cannot begin to imagine the amount of gas that has gone through both the engine and those seats.
      Last edited by SAILITY; 06-26-2019 at 04:23 PM.