VWVortex.com - Need to lease a SUV for my dog for 24 months. Suggestions on a VW?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

View Poll Results: Which car would work?

Voters
    0. You may not vote on this poll
    • VW Golf

0 0%
    • VW Golf Wagon

0 0%
    • VW Golf Alltrack

0 0%
    • VW Tiguan

0 0%
    • Something else

0 0%
    Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Need to lease a SUV for my dog for 24 months. Suggestions on a VW?

Vehicles
      2014 Audi S5
      03-31-2019 02:05 PM #1
      I own a 2014 Audi S5 (6spd, prestige pro, all the fixings) that I'm trying to sell right now (https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto...854111821.html). It's such a great car, but I got a puppy recently that will be closer to 80 lbs and is going to be somewhat tall and big (24" at her whithers). The audi is not a great car for her at all, even at her current age and size.

I am going to go for the Tesla Model Y when they're available in 2021 (realistically), so I'm looking into a VW or Subaru to lease in the meantime. I don't want anything fancy, since it's only a 24 month lease (the terms are actually almost better for 36 months, so considering that too).

I wanted to see if anyone here had any suggestions on what would be a good lease!

Here's what I need:

1. All Wheel Drive
      2. Fits a 38" x 25" (wide) x 28"(tall) crate for a dog
      3. Pretty good gas mileage

I don't need the back seats necessarily, but it would be nice to not need to fold them down, since I know a lot of cars these days don't fold flat (which would be a dealbreaker anyway, since the crate needs to be flat.

Some other questions:
      - Would a regular Golf fit the crate? I doubt it, but I wonder if the seats fold down flat
      - Would a Golf Wagon or Alltrack fit the crate without the seats down? Again, will they fold down flat?
      - Tiguan looks nice, will that fit the crate?

I can't seem to find accurate cargo dimensions, they always are listed with seats folded down.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Subaru Outback & 2017 Subaru Outback
      04-01-2019 03:11 PM #2
      I can't seem to find the exact crate we used to use for our lab but I think it is close to the dimensions you gave. I used to put it in the back of my Sportwagen and it would fit fine but it was touching on all sides. I'd be willing to bet I'd have more room in our Outback. With the AWD requirement I would lean towards the Outback lease over an Alltrack.

4. 04-02-2019 03:43 PM #3
      well the quintessential dog cars are

Subaru Outback, Forester ( in the outback the rear seats can tilt forward. we passed on this car until we learned it. 2.75" makes all the difference )
      VW Golf Wagon/Sportwagen/Alltrack
      Ford Transit connect, platinum/titanium if you want the rear ac consoles.

Honda Element. Just buy a used one, sell if for what you paid in 2 years.

take the dog crate with you to test drives and make it fit or not. That's how we did it.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2014 Audi S5
      04-03-2019 01:52 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Aseras View Post
      well the quintessential dog cars are

Subaru Outback, Forester ( in the outback the rear seats can tilt forward. we passed on this car until we learned it. 2.75" makes all the difference )
      VW Golf Wagon/Sportwagen/Alltrack
      Ford Transit connect, platinum/titanium if you want the rear ac consoles.

Honda Element. Just buy a used one, sell if for what you paid in 2 years.

take the dog crate with you to test drives and make it fit or not. That's how we did it.
      Thanks for the recommendations! I think if I were buying, I would go for the Outback. But being that I'm just trying to find a 2-ish year lease, the Subaru lease prices have been really bad. Might be a bad time to look right now.

Anyway, I'm trying to negotiate with a bunch of different dealerships on different cars, I'll see what I can come up with!

Thanks!

Vehicles
      '13 ES 350; un Altima llamado Manuel
      04-03-2019 07:51 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by artchang View Post
      Thanks for the recommendations! I think if I were buying, I would go for the Outback. But being that I'm just trying to find a 2-ish year lease, the Subaru lease prices have been really bad. Might be a bad time to look right now.

Anyway, I'm trying to negotiate with a bunch of different dealerships on different cars, I'll see what I can come up with!

Thanks!
      this guy has what looks to be some good advice on leasing a subaru, an ascent specifically:

edit: probably better deals on outback or forester, not sure if they're big enough but at least outback would be bigger than golf sportwagen. regular golf wouldn't work for dog, no way (i have one - it's small in the back).
      Last edited by potownrob; 04-03-2019 at 07:54 AM.

8. 04-03-2019 11:44 AM #6
      So I went and made you a quick overview of my cars/dogs and roadtrips.

2010 VW Sportwagen TDi
      To start in the VW, they are not cupholders, they are footholes.

Many trips over the years, > 200,000 miles with 4 dogs in the back.

2017 Subaru Outback Limited ( limited has the rear ac ducts like the sportwagen )

How we initially tested the fit

We borrowed the car overnight to test the crates
      Before we knew the rear seats could tilt forward

We did end up getting the Outback and still use if for in town/state trips without all the dogs.

I ended up caving and going RV, one slide has 9 dog crates and it'll also sleep 8 people comfortably.
      No more piling stuff and dogs to the celing and having a cargo topper on the cars.

Vehicles
      2014 Audi S5
      04-04-2019 01:53 AM #7
      OMG this is the absolute best reply I've ever gotten on any forum in the world.

I love all the pups, especially the footholders =)

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Aseras View Post
      So I went and made you a quick overview of my cars/dogs and roadtrips.

2010 VW Sportwagen TDi
      To start in the VW, they are not cupholders, they are footholes.

Many trips over the years, > 200,000 miles with 4 dogs in the back.

2017 Subaru Outback Limited ( limited has the rear ac ducts like the sportwagen )

How we initially tested the fit

We borrowed the car overnight to test the crates
      Before we knew the rear seats could tilt forward

We did end up getting the Outback and still use if for in town/state trips without all the dogs.

I ended up caving and going RV, one slide has 9 dog crates and it'll also sleep 8 people comfortably.
      No more piling stuff and dogs to the celing and having a cargo topper on the cars.

10. 06-22-2019 08:30 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by artchang View Post
      OMG this is the absolute best Xender Discord Omegle reply I've ever gotten on any forum in the world.

I love all the pups, especially the footholders =)

Thank you!
      I am going to go for the Tesla Model Y when they're available in 2021 (realistically), so I'm looking into a VW or Subaru to lease in the meantime. I don't want anything fancy, since it's only a 24 month lease (the terms are actually almost better for 36 months, so considering that too).
      Last edited by SAILITY; 06-26-2019 at 04:09 PM.