VWVortex.com - If you have this stalling problem with your 2019 GTI, then please report the issue to NHTSA
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: If you have this stalling problem with your 2019 GTI, then please report the issue to NHTSA

1. Member
      Vehicles
      02 JCW(sold), 04 R32, 07 e91, 15 gti(wife’s), 19 CFB rabbit
      09-17-2019 12:50 AM #126
      Checking in too, mine has been fantastic. When there’s issues that can be super frustrating so ppl freak out. When it’s smooth sailing you don’t hear a peep.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      @Michael_Ü_the_Car_Guru
      09-18-2019 03:53 PM #127
      Funny thing is my Rabbit which is equipped with the DSG just stalled on me as I was slowing down in a parking lot and rolling into a spot. Mind you the auto stop/start was OFF (button illuminated amber in color) and I was not stopped, just slowing down enough to jump into the vacant parking spot. Roughly 900 miles on the odometer and on my 2nd tank ever of 93 octane gas with this car.

Went to file a complaint over at the NHTSA website and it says my VIN is not valid?
      2019 Golf 7.5 GTI Rabbit Edition Pure-Weiß 2016 Golf 7 Variant R-Line Pure-Weiß 2011 Golf 6 TDI BLUEMOTION Highline Candy-Weiß 2008 Golf 5 .:R32 Deep Blau Perleffekt DSG 4-MOTION 2006 Golf GTI DSG Tornadorot 2002 Indigo Blau Perleffekt Passat 3BG Trendline. I Euro-spec Mods!

4. 09-18-2019 04:04 PM #128
      Quote Originally Posted by quailallstar View Post
      Funny thing is my Rabbit which is equipped with the DSG just stalled on me as I was slowing down in a parking lot and rolling into a spot. Mind you the auto stop/start was OFF (button illuminated amber in color) and I was not stopped, just slowing down enough to jump into the vacant parking spot. Roughly 900 miles on the odometer and on my 2nd tank ever of 93 octane gas with this car.

Went to file a complaint over at the NHTSA website and it says my VIN is not valid?
      I think when all is said and done, the real issue will end up being that requested timing and actual timing is off significantly due to the the lower wait oil.

Most cars have stopped stalling after 400 to 1000 miles, but I doubt they're actually "fixed" in that they are running as designed.

My car was so far off, it was stalling and running terribly. Timing was so far off I was getting 25 mpg at 70 on the highway and the car destroyed the O2 sensor. They switched to 5w-40 oil and it got better, but still didn't drive right and got a random stall here and there. . They just reset all the adaptions and now it appears to be driving normally, but only time will tell.

I don't think the DSG is unaffected, I just think something to do with DSG makes them less likely to stall.

I also don't think switching to 5w-40 and an ECU flash is going to be acceptable to NHTSA.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Silver_arrow12!; 09-18-2019 at 04:25 PM.

Vehicles
      19 GTI - 16 Passat SE
      09-19-2019 08:21 AM #129
      I'll chime in as well, on the good side. I had one random stall while moving through and intersection at <20 in 2nd gear, flipped it into neutral to come to a stop and the car was off. That was with less than 500 miles on the odometer. That's my only stall and I'm approaching 4700 miles now. I took delivery in early April this year.

The car pulls great, and I've been averaging close to 30 mpg on almost every tank and run strictly Shell 93 gas.

6. 09-19-2019 09:09 AM #130
      Quote Originally Posted by MGs05GLI View Post
      I'll chime in as well, on the good side. I had one random stall while moving through and intersection at <20 in 2nd gear, flipped it into neutral to come to a stop and the car was off. That was with less than 500 miles on the odometer. That's my only stall and I'm approaching 4700 miles now. I took delivery in early April this year.

The car pulls great, and I've been averaging close to 30 mpg on almost every tank and run strictly Shell 93 gas.
      Is this your first mk7 GTI?

I have a 2018 too. The 2018 averages 32 calculated. The 2019 same route driving even easier averaged 30 indicated, 29 calculated.

This is exactly what I've been talking about. Unless you compare back to back with a car that drives normally, it's difficult to tell that your car has a problem.

7. 09-19-2019 10:24 AM #131
      Is it only affecting the valve lift EA888?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. 09-19-2019 10:48 AM #132
      Quote Originally Posted by jthj View Post
      Is it only affecting the valve lift EA888?

It's only affecting 2019 GTI's and GLI, mostly manuals, but a couple DSG's have reported the issue too.

Last edited by Silver_arrow12!; 09-19-2019 at 01:51 PM.

Vehicles
      19 GTI - 16 Passat SE
      09-23-2019 09:56 AM #133
      Quote Originally Posted by Silver_arrow12! View Post
      Is this your first mk7 GTI?

I have a 2018 too. The 2018 averages 32 calculated. The 2019 same route driving even easier averaged 30 indicated, 29 calculated.

This is exactly what I've been talking about. Unless you compare back to back with a car that drives normally, it's difficult to tell that your car has a problem.

Yes, it's my first GTI. I've done the MPG calculations by dividing the number of gallons on a refuel to the miles driven on the trip computer, I don't normally use the MFI. I always fill until the pump stops, and do the math from there. The only fluctuations in tanks I've noticed is when I've driven the car harder than usual, which drops me closer to 27-28 per gallon. With the weather cooling down here in FL soon, I'm sure I'll be getting even fewer miles per tank now.

I'm hoping that VW does a TSB or recall soon, so if there are any issues I'm not noticing beyond the obvious lack of stalling, they'll be corrected.

10. 09-23-2019 08:48 PM #134
      Got delivery of 2019 GTI SE manual in bay area, CA. Car was delivered on Monday. Engine first stalled at 120 miles. Then subsequently stalled everyday during rush hour commute. On the first weekend, I took it out for a drive to test the stalling and was able to reproduce it consistently.

Went back to the dealer and car is now at service with hardly 300 miles. Dealer took the car early morning and called me back within 2 hrs telling they fixed the issue through ECM update and the car is ready for pickup. Couldn't believe that after reading all forums and reddit. Went to pick up the car in the evening, and the CEL comes on when the car was driven into the delivery area ! Car is still with the dealer, now with a check engine light as well.
      Luckily they provided me with a loaner car.

This was my first car and was really excited. Took the plunge with a manual thinking the issue was not this widespread.

I'm unable to file the NHTSA complaint, giving me VIN not valid.

What should I do? What are the next steps if the dealer cannot fix the issue. Should I open a separate case with VWoA through phone?

11. n00b
      Vehicles
      2019 GTI SE DSG, 2011 Prius, 2009 Miata, 2003 TRD Taco 4x4, 73 MGB/GT
      09-23-2019 09:20 PM #135
      Quote Originally Posted by mhn10 View Post
      Got delivery of 2019 GTI SE manual in bay area, CA. Car was delivered on Monday. Engine first stalled at 120 miles. Then subsequently stalled everyday during rush hour commute. On the first weekend, I took it out for a drive to test the stalling and was able to reproduce it consistently.

Went back to the dealer and car is now at service with hardly 300 miles. Dealer took the car early morning and called me back within 2 hrs telling they fixed the issue through ECM update and the car is ready for pickup. Couldn't believe that after reading all forums and reddit. Went to pick up the car in the evening, and the CEL comes on when the car was driven into the delivery area ! Car is still with the dealer, now with a check engine light as well.

This was my first car and was really excited. Took the plunge with a manual thinking the issue was not this widespread.

What should I do? What are the next steps if the dealer cannot fix the issue. Should I open a separate case with VWoA through phone?
      Setup a case with VWOA as soon as possible. This will help get the vehicle off the dealership's flooring as your next move should be to meet with the sales manager and have them unwind the deal. Keep emphasizing that you purchased a new car that is unsafe to drive. Do it right and they will cave.

12. 09-24-2019 08:58 AM #136
      Quote Originally Posted by mhn10 View Post

I'll bet the cell is O2 sensor.

13. 09-24-2019 09:02 AM #137
      So the reason I was asking if it’s valve lift engines is I believe they were already using the lighter oil on the bcycle ea888 used in the Tiguan and Passat. Obviously that engine does have different timing but more crucially it doesn’t, afaik, have valve lift which is oil actuated.

14. 09-28-2019 04:22 PM #138
      Adding one more voice to the choir.

2019 GTI SE with DSG (Bay Area California). Build date 6/19. Bought car with 10 miles on odometer.

Car has less than 300 miles on it, and have had stalling incidents over the last three days. All occurred at low speeds when rolling to a stop, with car in manual mode of DSG and Auto Stop turned off.

In first incident A/C was on; last two series of stall episodes with A/C off. All occurred at "normal" engine operating temperature.

First stall episode was during normal stop at last stop sign before home. Thought that one was maybe fault with Auto Stop (even though it was turned off at the time). Next two days, purposely tried to induce stall (slow rolling speed in 1st or 2nd, then a normal stop), all with Auto Stop turned off. First incident of stall, the engine just died (manual restart light came on). All subsequent induced stalls, car had momentary rough idle, then a shudder and then the engine died, "manual restart" light came on. Induced stall occurred after 30-40 attempts, and then repeatable after first stall on that drive. In total, witnessed 6 stalls in three days.

Took video on last stall episode and taking that, with posts off this forum, to dealer next week. When I called to make service appointment, advisor wasn't aware of any such problem.

Will update to the forum as this evolves. Also NHTSA site won't recognize my VIN, so will call them on Monday to register complaint (after multiple attempts to enter complaint online, and yes it is the correct VIN).

Really hoped a DSG equipped GTI wouldn't become a part of this discussion, but there's support in numbers.

15. 09-30-2019 12:41 PM #139
      2019 GTI S w/ DSG. Build date 6/19. 350 miles. This happened when the engine was on for about 10 minutes. Auto Start/Stop was ON. My Wife pulled into a parking spot at a roadside farm stand because we were taking turns driving. She put the car in Park once in the spot. The Auto start/stop feature then turns the engine off as per normal. The key was in the ON position and the AC was also ON. We both got out and switched seats. I put the car into reverse to pull out of the spot and I get this message: "Manual start required". So I put the car back into park and turn the key and it starts up. When you park and open more than one door with Auto Start/Stop ON does it require a manual restart or was this not normal?

16. 09-30-2019 01:24 PM #140
      Quote Originally Posted by and49rew View Post
      2019 GTI S w/ DSG. Build date 6/19. 350 miles. This happened when the engine was on for about 10 minutes. Auto Start/Stop was ON. My Wife pulled into a parking spot at a roadside farm stand because we were taking turns driving. She put the car in Park once in the spot. The Auto start/stop feature then turns the engine off as per normal. The key was in the ON position and the AC was also ON. We both got out and switched seats. I put the car into reverse to pull out of the spot and I get this message: "Manual start required". So I put the car back into park and turn the key and it starts up. When you park and open more than one door with Auto Start/Stop ON does it require a manual restart or was this not normal?
      This is normal operating behaviour. If you open a door/hatch/hood it forces a manual restart .

'19 GTI Autobahn 6MT - Dark Iron Blue
      Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

17. 09-30-2019 01:36 PM #141
      Quote Originally Posted by oXRagin MooseXo View Post
      This is normal operating behaviour. If you open a door/hatch/hood it forces a manual restart .

'19 GTI Autobahn 6MT - Dark Iron Blue
      Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
      Thanks a lot !

18. 10-10-2019 11:09 AM #142
      I have a 2019 GTI 6MT with a 05/19 build date. Today was the only the third time I've driven it. It stalled at 105 miles while waiting at a light to make a left turn and again about a half mile later waiting to make another left turn. This was after 30 miles of freeway driving. It still has the dealer supplied tank of gas. Going to take it back to the dealer service to get the paper trail started... NTSHA.gov doesn't recognize the VIN, so I'll be calling them.

19. 10-10-2019 06:26 PM #143
      I’m following up on my initial post regarding engine stalling on a 2019 GTI SE with DSG.

I brought the car in for service, and took the service advisor for a test drive so he could confirm the issue. Over the course of a 15-20-minute test drive (low speed runs to a full stop), the car stalled twice. Oil and coolant at normal operating temperatures. A/C was off, as was Auto Stop. DSG was in manual mode.

I left the car with the dealer after a long conversation talking about options and the information from the forum. Dealer provided me daily updates on the car. The dealer service advisor did several calls with the Tech Group at VW, and they advised resetting all adaptions. A subsequent test drive repeated the stalling. He was advised to again reset all the adaptions, with a subsequent test drive seeing the stalling behavior. After the third reset, the car continued to stall, but it took much longer for it to happen.

The service advisor reset the adaptions for a fourth time and repeated the test drives twice more one day later, and there were no stalls. Repeated again the following day with no stalls. I picked up the car after his last test drive on the fourth day, and made a long test drive myself (operating temperatures for both oil and coolant, DSG in manual mode with Auto Stop off, air conditioning off, and then on), all with no stalling.

Now several days later after repeating test drives the car has not stalled again. I had some rough idle issues on the first drive home from the dealer, but that has not happened again since then.

With all the driving at low speeds and use of a manual DSG setting, the MPG is low (about 20MPG) but hope this improves with engine wear and more “normal” driving. My GTI currently has 491 miles on it.

While I hesitate to say the problem is resolved, however given the car had stalling episodes on all the previous drives, and now have multiple subsequent long drives all without stalling, it is very promising. Hopefully this helps get VW on the path to getting this issue clarified and then fixed for us all. I wanted to post this to the forum as a point for reference. Incidents have been reported to VW and with NHTSA

20. 10-11-2019 08:32 PM #144
      My car is driving amazingly well now. I'm wondering if this was a problem of adaptions not being done properly at the factory?

21. Yesterday 11:58 PM #145
      My wife's 2019 GTI DSG, (350-ish miles) which we picked up two days ago, wouldn't restart tonight when she was stopped at a light. Normal driving to the stop - roll to a stop, foot firmly on brake and the engine turned off per usual. When she released the brake it did not restart. She needed to put the trans in park and start again. She is shaken by the incident, which I couldn't duplicate while on a 10 minute drive. I will report this to VW and the dealer tomorrow.

22. Today 12:15 AM #146
      My wife's 2019 GTI DSG, (350-ish miles) which we picked up two days ago, wouldn't restart tonight when she was stopped at a light. Normal driving to the stop - roll to a stop, foot firmly on brake and the engine turned off per usual. When she released the brake it did not restart. She needed to put the trans in park and start again. She is shaken by the incident, which I couldn't duplicate while on a 10 minute drive. I will report this to VW and the dealer tomorrow.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456