VWVortex.com - If you have this stalling problem with your 2019 GTI, then please report the issue to NHTSA
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: If you have this stalling problem with your 2019 GTI, then please report the issue to NHTSA

1. 05-19-2019 10:01 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by dietcokefiend View Post
      Has your dealer ever brought up the oil swap back to 5w40?
      I had 3 brand new 2019 cars fail - nothing to do with oil. Every dealer says they never heard of this problem, their service advisors find zero VW published bulletins or guidance. Until they recognize the problem - many many people could be unexpectedly stalling

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 05-19-2019 10:58 PM #27
      This may have everything to do with oil. The huge thread on GolfMK7 has been tracking this across many affected GTIs. Itís narrowed in on the intake camshaft, and the oil has been the most recent push by VW, with the 508 spec oil being a possible culprit in the timing component being unresponsive. Camshaft adjustment goes full advance, doesnít retard as the engine goes back to idle speed and it stalls out.

All fixes to date have been aimed at the timing section. In the past 2-3 weeks VW regional techs have been having dealers push 502 spec oil in affected cars while a software fix for the lower pressure and weight behind 508 oil is sorted out in this particular engine.

There are a lot of theories behind why some cars get it and others donít, or why some get it at a higher frequency. Right now VW is the only one with total knowledge behind the fault tracing. But given they have been pushing oil across plenty of cars now, it looks like the main attempt beyond the magnet.

4. 05-20-2019 07:28 AM #28
      This may have everything to do with oil. The huge thread on GolfMK7 has been tracking this across many affected GTIs. Itís narrowed in on the intake camshaft, and the oil has been the most recent push by VW, with the 508 spec oil being a possible culprit in the timing component being unresponsive. Camshaft adjustment goes full advance, doesnít retard as the engine goes back to idle speed and it stalls out.

All fixes to date have been aimed at the timing section. In the past 2-3 weeks VW regional techs have been having dealers push 502 spec oil in affected cars while a software fix for the lower pressure and weight behind 508 oil is sorted out in this particular engine.

There are a lot of theories behind why some cars get it and others donít, or why some get it at a higher frequency. Right now VW is the only one with total knowledge behind the fault tracing. But given they have been pushing oil across plenty of cars now, it looks like the main attempt beyond the magnet.
      Very Interesting - thank you for the information!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 05-20-2019 08:45 AM #29
      I personally have a road trip coming up and will have plenty of highway and start/stop movements going through Chicago. Iíll be playing around with your test plan and have some logging software running to see whatís going on.

7. 05-20-2019 09:39 AM #30
      I personally have a road trip coming up and will have plenty of highway and start/stop movements going through Chicago. Iíll be playing around with your test plan and have some logging software running to see whatís going on.
      Thanks bud - I saw the posts on the 'other' forum and have requested a login account so I can better share my experiences there. For some reason my prior post about stalling here was deleted with zero explanation. I'll be over there once my login info gets activated.

8. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2019 GTI Rabbit
      05-20-2019 02:51 PM #31
      Happened a few weeks ago 3x in quick succession. Less than 200 miles on 2019 Rabbit edition in 6MT (of course).
      I was flogging it down some tight, twisty 2 lane and stopped hard at at turn-around. Something flashed 'red' on the dash and lost all power - console went black and engine died too.

Turns out the flashed 'red' was the "rear collision/proximity" warning that I've seen spurious occurrences a couple more times.
      Hit the engine start - fired right up. Tried to pull away and it flashed red again and died. (trust me I know how to drive a stick)

Drove for a bit (20 minutes?) and did another quick stop and another flame out.

The car went to the dealership for it's first oil change (yes with 300 miles on the clock) and I mentioned the stall. *blank stare*
      I doubt they did anything (they don't strike me as all that 'smart' on the maint line) but it hasn't happened since, but I did see a bogus rear-collision warning flash one time since. Oh, I specifically requested the 5w30 weight oil but I'm not remotely confident that they complied with my instructions.

What I would guess is the rear proximity sensor is flaky (loose connector?) or prone to mis-reading distance (or needs time to 'learn') and as a proactive SAFETY measure (natch) VW programs the engine to stop so if you really were hit and plowed ahead into something, the engine would be off and mitigate damage and chance of fire. My money is on loose connector or inconsistent voltage/ground generating spurious readings.
      Last edited by shogun44a; 05-20-2019 at 09:08 PM.

9. 05-20-2019 03:41 PM #32
      I don't remember lights going off when I stalled in 3 different new 2019 GTIs
      But here is how I recreated the problem every time. The trick is to be able to recreate it, with a service advisor in the car.

Hope this helps people having this issue.

Preface:
      All 2019 GTIs
      Tested on Manual transmission only, however, there are reports of DSG stalling as well
      Manual GTIs do NOT Have Auto Start/Stop functionality
      Does not seem to matter if car is cold start or up to temp.
      AC was on in all cases - however, cannot say if this is connected to the stalls
      All stalls occurred at very low speeds / at idle
      Once a stall occurs, they seem to come more frequently
      It does not matter if clutch is in or out, if you are in neutral of first gear - stall has happened under all combinations
      Have tested incline, decline, speed bumps - it does not matter. Stalls have occurred on perfectly flat surfaces.

1. Drive to an open lot
      2. Spend the next about 15-20 minutes simulating stop and go traffic. Just drive normally. Drive 50-100 yards, come to a stop. Alternate clutch in + stay in 1st gear, stop and clutch out + put it in neutral, stop. Then drive forward, repeat, repeat, repeat.
      3. Each time we got failures, it took about 10-15 minutes of driving and 30-60 stops-starts.
      4. When the car stalls, it feels like it passively conks out (goes to sleep) vs an abrupt jerk as if you had popped the clutch. Can must be restarted after it stalls.
      5. Be careful and aware of your surroundings so you donít get rear ended.

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Golf R Lapiz Blue 6MT
      05-20-2019 07:46 PM #33

I think theres a lot of truth to what youre saying. I "have" a 2019 GTI DIB 6MT with the stalling and with the hidden camshaft code P0011. I have a build date of 1/2019 iirc

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      05-20-2019 07:49 PM #34
      When I first got the car, I thought the stalling was because I hadnt driven a manual in a little over a year and maybe I was lazy shifting. I had a 2012 Camaro SS (that i really loved and wish I hadnt traded in ) manual so for 6 years so I would say I was pretty good at driving a stick since I lived in the city the whole time. It makes sense now that you guys are saying this. It was stalling as I was coming to a stop and i knew the shifter was in neutral.

12. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2011 BMW X5 35xi / 1991 VW GTI 16v
      05-20-2019 08:45 PM #35
      Ok, l thought it was me.. picked up a 2019 manual S last week, and l have the low speed stalling issue. Iíve been driving manuals for 25 years so l was truly perplexed. Time to make a trip to the dealer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2019 GTI Rabbit
      05-20-2019 09:03 PM #36
      This may have everything to do with oil. ... with the 508 spec oil being a possible culprit in the timing component being unresponsive.
      putting 0w20 in this engine is asinine IMO. Typical legislative dictat overruling engineering requirements for the g*d-damn CAFE and fuel-mileage "requirements" picked out of somebody's arse.

I like my "imminent rear-crash sensor" theory better, or there is something really whack-a-doodle in the dash logic that would trigger that graphic while experiencing an engine timing malfunction. Though I guess there is a perverse logic to that since a sudden engine-shutoff is likely to result in an impact from the rear... Maybe it's prescient?

14. 05-20-2019 11:11 PM #37
      See if my prescribed method recreates your stalling - the techs have to witness it. I am 3 for 3, hopefully everyone can recreate it and force VW to take some action. It is not you. My son had the problem - like most people you blame yourself or like me I discounted it as driving style - then it happened to me in his car, now I believe. It is the 2019 GTI - there is a defect, and it is a safety issue. What are the chances I was able to replicate the problem on 3 different 2019 manual GTIs? 3 different trim levels? Pretty unlikely it was a bad build week affecting only a small # of cars.

ReCreate the issue
      Bring it to service
      Prove to them, with them present, that it can be recreated
      See if they can fix it - they cannot.
      Get your car bought back.

15. 05-21-2019 07:33 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by shogun44a View Post
      putting 0w20 in this engine is asinine IMO. Typical legislative dictat overruling engineering requirements for the g*d-damn CAFE and fuel-mileage "requirements" picked out of somebody's arse.

I like my "imminent rear-crash sensor" theory better, or there is something really whack-a-doodle in the dash logic that would trigger that graphic while experiencing an engine timing malfunction. Though I guess there is a perverse logic to that since a sudden engine-shutoff is likely to result in an impact from the rear... Maybe it's prescient?
      No one else has been mentioning the rear crash sensor or systems activating during this. The drivers assist document doesnít even call out the engine turning off as a thing. Considering a stall may limit brake boost power, you wouldnít want the engine to shut off prior to an impact anyways.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...58729-0001.pdf
      Last edited by dietcokefiend; 05-21-2019 at 07:35 AM.

16. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2019 GTI Rabbit
      05-21-2019 12:13 PM #39
      The drivers assist document doesnít even call out the engine turning off as a thing. Considering a stall may limit brake boost power, you wouldnít want the engine to shut off prior to an impact anyways.
      There are a billion things left undocumented in consumer-facing so-called "documentation". Hell Boeing can't be arsed to tell their pilots about a critical safety "enhancement" either. (sorry, OT)

A rear-end impact almost always happens at rest or slow speeds and your brakes are already on. I can fully see VW software engineering being handed a spec that says "kill the engine moments before collision to lessen risk of fire". My flame outs coincided with the collision graphic which is why I mentioned it.

17. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2019 GTI Rabbit
      05-22-2019 10:04 PM #40
      I went to NVCC parking lot. 20 lanes wide, each 40 spaces long at 8.5' wide for an end to end length of 340 feet. I did one pass stopping half-way down the lane which doubles the start/stop to 20x2=40. then I did the lot the other way running the length of a lane.

The short ones I stopped from 2nd gear in a police-approved zero-motion stop. The long runs I stopped from 3rd gear. About 70% of the time I came to rest at the same time I was moving the shifter into 1st, cluch in of course. The other 30% I came to a stop in whatever gear I had been in and then shifted to first before pulling away.

1/4 of the runs were done in Sport mode. The rest were evenly divided between ECO and Normal.

Engine was fully up to temp - been driving for an hour.
      Each stop the RPM readout was consistently 1/2 a needle width under 800RPM. I wish I had had my OBD dongle with me and I could have read out the value on a track application to get precise numbers.

Absolutely no hiccup, no waver, no drop in RPM, nothing.
      To recap, I have (should) 5w40 oil, 1300 miles ODO, and oil changed at 300miles. My 3x flame-outs were back when I had around 200 miles on ODO and whatever oil that comes default from the factory. I run exclusively 91 or 93 octane.

When I first got the car I do remember the drop to idle was occasionally ragged.
      If the car is new, new it's possible the ECU is in some kind of learning mode but I should think an hour of driving should have gotten that all cleared out.

Sorry I can't confirm your observation.

18. 05-24-2019 09:30 AM #41
      So this has been happening In my GLI ever since I got it. They said that it was a software fix with no replacement or adjustment to the camshaft that everyone else seems to be getting.

I’m going to pick it up this morning and I’ll be sure to let you all know if that does the trick.

Vehicles
      GTI
      05-24-2019 11:54 AM #42

I'd be worried that if there isn't enough oil pressure for the cam to switchover or switch back then what other issues due to lack of oil pressure are happening in the rest of the engine from this replacement oil spec. This is also curious because I thought the camshaft changeover was done by the inductive actuators that are on the oil filler end of the engine. So what part of the camshaft issue is being driven by oil pressure or is it the pressure isn't enough at the top of the head to allow the camshaft to move back and forth properly?

There is a lot of questions that, if I was an owner that was going through this, would be asking.

20. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      05-29-2019 12:44 PM #44
      So if I understand correctly, the consensus on this stalling issue is that it is happening to 2019 Mk7.5 GTIs. Hypothetically due to different ECMs from previous model years. Any chance this is happening to R's? As far as I know, the R engine has been unchanged.

21. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      18 VW GTI-AB DSG
      05-29-2019 04:31 PM #45
      Someone with or who had the issue should try and hit up a reputable VW YouTube'r and do a video on the problem. Would be pretty compelling if recreated on multiple vehicles and multiple drives. Might kick VW in the pants to address sooner, if it's an across the board problem. Good luck, all, hope it gets sorted out.

22. Internet Lighting Police cb1111's Avatar
      05-29-2019 04:39 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDanimal2008 View Post
      So if I understand correctly, the consensus on this stalling issue is that it is happening to 2019 Mk7.5 GTIs. Hypothetically due to different ECMs from previous model years. Any chance this is happening to R's? As far as I know, the R engine has been unchanged.
      There have been no reports of this issue with R's. There are reports of problems with Jettas.

23. 06-12-2019 08:59 AM #47
      I picked up a 2019 Rabbit last Friday. Noticed some stalls, but thought it was me getting used to the car. Started making sure clutch was fully in when coming to a stop. Happened six times in a row yesterday. I pumped the brakes and clutch and it stopped doing it.

I notice it starts doing it when I've been cruising at a steady speed for a while. It also didn't doesn't do it if I'm in 1st or 3rd, only 2nd gear coming to a stop with the clutch in.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

24. 06-12-2019 09:12 AM #48
      Filed a complaint.

25. n00b
      Vehicles
      2019 GTI
      06-13-2019 03:01 PM #49
      Has anyone found a way to fix this problem? Is it still happening? Mine stalled few times and i have taken it to dealer twice. Since I wasn't able to recreate the issue they haven't really done much. I talked to VWoA and they know about this issue but, they wont do much until the issue is recreated by their mechanic. Im really frustrated because i dont feel comfortable driving my car and the service at the dealership wont do anything about it.
      Last edited by pinky071; 06-13-2019 at 05:17 PM.

26. 06-13-2019 05:38 PM #50
      I have no idea if it's just a coincidence, but mine sporadically started to stall from day 1 at least a couple times a day, then started doing it nonstop on the 5th day. The clutch felt like it had a catch in it. I pumped the clutch quickly and fully like 15 times and pumped the brakes. Hasn't happened again, and it's been 3 days. Is it possible this problem is hydraulic in nature?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast