VWVortex

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: My First Car, a 1983 Rabbit GTI

Vehicles
      MK1TDI, BoltEV, G8GXP
      04-27-2020 11:41 AM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by orrcj View Post
      This picture is the bottom of the gasket channel, full of sand

Does anyone know if GTI windshield seals are different from 83-84 Rabbits?
      I believe the GTI windshields were glued in from the factory, while the other Rabbit trims from those years were rope in.
      IG: @geeofff
      MK1 TDI Swap

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Junior Member
      04-27-2020 02:20 PM #77
      So the 83-84 GTI's should both be glue in windshields. I just had the one in my black one replaced because it came with a seriously cracked one and I talked with the tech who did the install about my red one, because I am having a similar issue with that one that your having. The guy who did the install has been doing it for like 25 years and has done tons of MK1 VW's What i learned is the my red one (which I purchased in 2018) has in all likely hood had a windshield, or multiple replacement over the years. The gasket is not so much a gasket as trim/gasket. And it is a universal trim type thing and not specific to VW. The trim/gasket gets put on first and sort of tucks in a bit under the glass with some adhesive, then the main lip of the metal windshield frame gets the glue and they press in the new windshield with that rubber trim/gasket.

What he thinks happens is that over even just a few years, the heat and cold cycle make that trim gasket start to separate from the glass some, then water/road debris starts to get into and under that. My guess is that may be where your sand is coming from. The PO may have added some silicone or whatever to try to get that trim/gasket to stay down better. That's what I'm going to try on my red one because the windshield is new and I don't want to pay $275.00, the installed price, for that to just happen every few years. Meaning I want to extend that out as long as I can. The issue is that you can't really get it down perfectly because that should be put on before the glue in.

When I picked up the black one the guy did give me a rope in windshield to try and replace it with from a Cabrio. It was pretty de laminated so it broke when I tried to put it in. However it looks like, and everything I read, is that a rope in would fit just fine with the correct gasket. It does need to be a rope in windshield, you can't use the rope in gasket on a glue in windshield, they are not the same size.

I wound up being happy with the glue in anyway, it's what should be in there and i think may actually provide some structural support from what I have read.

Quote Originally Posted by orrcj View Post
      I've been neglecting the GTI for the past few weeks to get some other projects done, like sorting out our VW special tools from when the dealership opened in 1951.
      Back on topic, my dad and I took the windshield out because the P.O. "glued it" in with some kind of putty to fashion a makeshift gasket. The glass was separating from the "gasket" and could be pushed up enough to fit a finger between the glass and the rubber.

[IMG]Untitled by C Orr, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here's a pic of the rubber stuff. There was also like an 1/8th inch of sand in the gasket channel, I assume this happened during shipping, or maybe its just accumulated over time.

This picture is the bottom of the gasket channel, full of sand

Does anyone know if GTI windshield seals are different from 83-84 Rabbits?
      Last edited by mslz22; 04-27-2020 at 02:25 PM.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      4 clunkers & 2 nicer clunkers
      04-27-2020 07:16 PM #78
      In 83/84, all trim level Rabbits were glue in, other than the cabriolets. I’m 99% positive the cabbies were all rope in.

Any windshield installer should be able to obtain aftermarket windshield trim, as the OE trim is now NLA. It’s been years since I had a windshield glued in, but if memory serves correct, the windshield was installed first, then the trim was bed into the uncured urethane.

-Todd

5. Member
      Vehicles
      81 S, 84 GTI, 86 16V, 92 Cabby
      04-28-2020 10:10 AM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by ToddA1 View Post
      Any windshield installer should be able to obtain aftermarket windshield trim, as the OE trim is now NLA. It’s been years since I had a windshield glued in, but if memory serves correct, the windshield was installed first, then the trim was bed into the uncured urethane.
      The guy who installed the glass on my GTI used the universal type trim being discussed and pressed it around the glass first, then glued it all in.

AFAIK the trim is just there to look good. It clearly doesn't achieve any sort of seal, and it seems inevitable that wet muck would accumulate under the trim over time and cause rust. For that reason, and it feels cheesy in retrospect, I added a thin bead of black silicone between the trim and the metal surround, and a thin bead of clear silicone between the trim and the glass. I avoided spreading it with a finger knowing that feathered silicone peels.

If I had to do it again, I would use rope-in glass and tweak the interior trim pieces as needed. I'd consider that an incorrect but acceptable upgrade, like a stainless exhaust.
      It's hard for me to know exactly what these things cost me. I'm guessing a LOT, but I like them, so that's that.

Vehicles
      84 Rabbit GTI 95 Cabrio 1.8T 12 Golf TDI
      04-28-2020 11:13 AM #80
      I'll need to look at my 84 GTI. Mine has the thick rubber gasket around the glass not the thin factory trim. I think the PO changed all the rubber around the car before I got it, it still looks great.

Took a picture when I got home
      Last edited by BMAN; 04-28-2020 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Picture

7. Member
      Vehicles
      04-28-2020 05:47 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by echassin View Post
      If I had to do it again, I would use rope-in glass and tweak the interior trim pieces as needed. I'd consider that an incorrect but acceptable upgrade, like a stainless exhaust.

Don’t think the rubber gasket will keep moisture and muck out of the windshield channel... there’s a reason those weep holes are there. My 81, which came with a factory rope in windshield had the worst windshield frame rot I’ve encountered, in any of my Rabbits.

Quote Originally Posted by BMAN View Post
      I'll need to look at my 84 GTI. Mine has the thick rubber gasket around the glass not the thin factory trim. I think the PO changed all the rubber around the car before I got it, it still looks great.

That windshield appears to be a glue in. The black ceramic border is designed to hide the urethane that may squeeze out. Rope in windshields don’t have that.

-Todd

8. Member
      Vehicles
      81 S, 84 GTI, 86 16V, 92 Cabby
      04-29-2020 02:50 PM #82
      Ref: channel rot, maybe use a rubber gasket plus a thin bead of sealant under the outer edge? That would look better than what I did. I tried to keep it discreet but it is visible. That larger rubber seal above used with the glue-in glass looks like a good option too.
      It's hard for me to know exactly what these things cost me. I'm guessing a LOT, but I like them, so that's that.

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1983 Rabbt GTI
      05-13-2020 03:04 PM #83
      Don’t think the rubber gasket will keep moisture and muck out of the windshield channel... there’s a reason those weep holes are there. My 81, which came with a factory rope in windshield had the worst windshield frame rot I’ve encountered, in any of my Rabbits.

That windshield appears to be a glue in. The black ceramic border is designed to hide the urethane that may squeeze out. Rope in windshields don’t have that.

-Todd
      How many drain holes are there supposed to be, and where in the channel? None of mine are visible, at some point they were covered by bondo and painted over.

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1983 Rabbt GTI
      05-13-2020 03:09 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by mslz22 View Post
      So the 83-84 GTI's should both be glue in windshields. I just had the one in my black one replaced because it came with a seriously cracked one and I talked with the tech who did the install about my red one, because I am having a similar issue with that one that your having. The guy who did the install has been doing it for like 25 years and has done tons of MK1 VW's What i learned is the my red one (which I purchased in 2018) has in all likely hood had a windshield, or multiple replacement over the years. The gasket is not so much a gasket as trim/gasket. And it is a universal trim type thing and not specific to VW. The trim/gasket gets put on first and sort of tucks in a bit under the glass with some adhesive, then the main lip of the metal windshield frame gets the glue and they press in the new windshield with that rubber trim/gasket.
      Does he still install windshields? I will likely have a brand new one installed by a glass company, if this guy has done it for years I'd trust him more than the guys from safeite or other companies.

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1983 Rabbt GTI
      09-18-2020 10:31 PM #85
      Hi all, after a 5 month vacation from the vortex, I am happy to announce I now have a mostly completed and registered GTI. I drove it to school Wednesday to the surprise of a lot of my teachers. One of them told me she had a mk1 scirocco and a rabbit. She crashed the scirocco when it was only a few years old. I was able to get the windshield put in. I was trying to find a good OE window but the one I had was cracked and I never realized it, so when the glass company came to install it, they said they couldn't legally put that one in. I ended up buying a brand new windshield which I'm pretty glad I did, I feel better about that. I've driven 150 miles so far, some of that was with my friend Mason who got his first car, a 1999 bmw 3 series. There are some new problems that started after I got the car to temperature/ long drives. Its started to make a high pitched scraping noise that goes away on left turns, it shouldn't be wheel bearings because I got new ones this year. I also had a poor idle after hard driving. It would sometimes die if i put the clutch in or went to neutral, other times it would almost shut off, but then go to 900 RPM for a second, and then almost shut off again. I somewhat remedied it by adding a vacuum line that wasn't there before but the problem still exists except not as bad.

Looking forward to seeing other GTI drivers/ enthusiasts on the road. Already getting thumbs up from people around town.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      09-19-2020 08:30 AM #86
      Your car looks great! I love the black GTIs.

I looked at your bay pics and it appears you’re missing an idle valve. I’m used to seeing two, on AC equipped cars. There should be a black one next to the white one. This may be the cause of your stumbling idle. I forget which one does what, but the Bentley goes into detail.

-Todd

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1983 Rabbt GTI
      09-19-2020 08:24 PM #87
      Your car looks great! I love the black GTIs.

I looked at your bay pics and it appears you’re missing an idle valve. I’m used to seeing two, on AC equipped cars. There should be a black one next to the white one. This may be the cause of your stumbling idle. I forget which one does what, but the Bentley goes into detail.

-Todd
      I tried looking around for a pair of them, best I could find was one off a vanagon, which I can't tell if it even works. My dad and I found that there was no vacuum at the port on the throttle body and when we make vacuum the idle gets fixed. I don't know how it goes from making vacuum to not making vacuum after the car gets hot.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      09-19-2020 08:36 PM #88
      This will at least get you an application list, if you’re in the JY or spot a part out. If you have another white one, I’d think it could be used. I think they’re closed, until they see 12v.

https://www.mk1autohaus.com/Idle-Spe...ve_p_6515.html

-Todd

09-25-2020 04:35 PM #89
      The 83/84 GTI uses the JH engine which should be similar in setup to the 85 Cabby, it means you should be able to use most of the stuff in Cabby-Info site. I know there are a few differences with the fuel pump (no pick-up pump in GTI) and the fuel supply (some strange inline valve that the cabby doesn't have) setup but thats the biggest difference AFAIK.
      Both my cars pictured should have the same engine, although the GTI came with a 16V PL which I am attempting to get running.

The 90-92 Cabriolet uses a Glue-in windshield which should fit all MK1/A1 cars. I need to do the windshield tray at some point on this GTI so I may try to use one of those later model Glue-In Windshields.

Last edited by gereonb; 09-25-2020 at 04:43 PM.
      1984 Rabbit GTI [USA] - Diamond Silver
      1985 Rabbit Cabriolet - Helios Blue
      1971 Super Beetle Convertible - Iberian Red
      1970/1972 Yamaha DS7 and R5 in parts

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1983 Rabbt GTI
      10-22-2020 10:46 PM #90
      It's been a great 2 years and awesome experience building my GTI, but as winter is coming I need something I can daily in the winter. So the time has come to sell it. As you all can see the work i've put into it i don't need to explain that. Link to the facebook listing here https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...34803360564464 I go over it in the listing, but i am asking 12,000 for it. Car is TMU (True Milage Unknown), more on that in the ad.

Thanks everyone,
      -Carter

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234