Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My First Car, a 1983 Rabbit GTI

Vehicles
      84 gtis
      06-20-2019 10:10 AM #26
      Hey buddy, welcome to the forum and to MK1 ownership. Great find with the 83! looks to be very solid overall...I like the corrections/fixes you have already jumped on. 84 with red interior was my first car too...bought it before I could drive it...brings back a lot of memories. Looks like this car was lucky enough to find a home in a garage full of siblings! Keep up the good work...maybe I'll see you on the road or at a CT show some day
      For trade: my motorcycle for your girlfriend...email

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      1983 Rabbt GTI
      06-22-2019 08:44 AM #27
      Hey man, looks like I'm not the only one crazy enough to buy a GTI before I can drive! Mine is sooooooo close to being done, all it needs is some gas. Can't wait to drive it and maybe we'll see each other on the road sometime.

4. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      1983 Rabbt GTI
      06-23-2019 10:52 PM #28
      Done???

The car is on the ground, and its finished mechanically... well actually its not because the shift linkage is giving us headaches, but its basically done. It needs an alignment, other than that its mechanically sorted. I spent 4 hours wet sanding the rims, trying to clean up the pitted aluminum which worked fantastically. Well, on all except for one rim which is pitted beyond repair without sending it out to be done professionally. (possily looking for a clean snowflake if anyone has one???)

Untitled by C Orr, on Flickr

The interior is next on the list. And its, yet again fixing things the previous owner did. I'd like to have a uhhh..... coversation with him...
      The speakers were mounted on top of the speaker panels, rather than underneath how the original speakers were. Mounting the rear speakers on top of the speaker panels meant destroying the panels, not just the top but the entire thing. Each side was cracked badly around the bolt holes, and someone added new bolt holes instead of using the exististing ones....

So... I think I might have found some already but those pieces are definitely something I am looking for.

Last thing to do that isn't in the interior is the A/C. Its all there but not hooked up. The condenser leaks, we found the source. However the clutch is bad. It's a York compressor.

If anybody knows where to find/ has a working clucth I would be happy to buy it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12