Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Speaker Upgrade No Amp

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2017 VW Jetta SE
      04-11-2019 07:34 PM #1
      I have a 2017 Jetta SE with the MIB II unit. Don’t like the sound stage of the standard speakers.

Has anyone upgraded the door speakers without having to use an amp and got much cleaner sound with better bass response?

The standard speakers are about $25 so I’m willing to spend double that to get better speakers.

VW uses 2 ohm speakers and most aftermarkets are 4 ohm so a lot of people who do upgrade complain about poorer bass because the speakers are underpowered.

Any ideas?????

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta GLI; 1987 Cabriolet
      04-12-2019 06:59 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by B5Bud View Post

The standard speakers are about $25 so I’m willing to spend double that to get better speakers.

Any ideas?????
      If that's all you're willing to spend, don't bother.

I am using Focal Integration VW specific components in the front doors and VW specific coaxials in the rear doors. Still using the factory radio with no amplifier and the sound quality is excellent.
      2012 Jetta GLI
      2010 BMW 135i
      2005 MINI Cooper S
      2004 Volvo C70 LPT
      1987 Cabriolet Bestseller

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2017 VW Jetta SE
      04-13-2019 04:31 PM #3
      I’ve heard of those but they are pricey if you want to do all 4 doors. At that point you might as well get an amp installed and replace the speakers.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      04-13-2019 06:19 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by B5Bud View Post
      I’ve heard of those but they are pricey if you want to do all 4 doors. At that point you might as well get an amp installed and replace the speakers.
      They're not cheap, but I was able to find them at significantly discounted prices on eBay. My goal is to not have any cut harnesses, so getting an amp installed is not as easy as it sounds. I'm probably going to add the VW/Helix Soundbox next. My tastes aren't for everyone, but they work for me.

For my MINI Cooper, I installed 2 ohm Infinity Reference speakers in all four corners. Those are closer to your pricing goal. I am happy with them, but they're not in the same league as the Focals.
      2012 Jetta GLI
      2010 BMW 135i
      2005 MINI Cooper S
      2004 Volvo C70 LPT

7. Junior Member
      04-13-2019 10:18 PM #5
      Do the Focals lose the lows? Most any aftermarket speaker looses bass compared to factory. At lest this is my experience.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Jetta SEL
      04-13-2019 11:06 PM #6
      Just an fyi, the Helix soundbox doesnt play nice with aftermarket speakers. I put those Focal integration speakers into the front and it must of triggered some load protection and the subwoofer/lows stopped working on the Helix. When I put the OEM speakers back in front the Helix Soundbox worked and has worked normally since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. 04-14-2019 06:56 PM #7
      I don't know if this applies directly to your model, but I previously had a 2011 MK6 Jetta in which the stock speakers were constantly blowing and just overall provided poor sound quality. I was able to get the Fender speakers from the SEL trim level and although I didn't have an amplifier/any additional modifications beyond the replacement of the speaker, I found that it sounded significantly better and didn't blow for the remainder of the time that I had the car. I now have a MK6 GLI with the Fender speakers and it sounds quite different than my prior Jetta, but I find this is mainly due to the different tweeters and is mainly visible in the representation of spoken word within songs. The fender speakers were like $30 a piece or so on eBay, don't know if they're still available or being sold by another user.

------
      I've gone ahead and attached a photo found online of the speakers that I placed in my 2011 Jetta without any necessary modification:
      Last edited by Ryan3571; 04-14-2019 at 06:58 PM.

Vehicles
      04-14-2019 09:04 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Nillious View Post
      Do the Focals lose the lows? Most any aftermarket speaker looses bass compared to factory. At lest this is my experience.
      I can't answer that question. I bought my car used and the previous owner obviously had a huge stereo in the car. He removed everything and left 2 sets of poorly installed Kicker speakers in the doors before he traded. But he did not cut the wires...

The Focals have plenty of low for me, but I'm a 50 something guy who doesn't drive around trying to shake the car next to me.
      2012 Jetta GLI
      2010 BMW 135i
      2005 MINI Cooper S
      2004 Volvo C70 LPT

Vehicles
      04-14-2019 09:05 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by builtospill View Post
      Just an fyi, the Helix soundbox doesnt play nice with aftermarket speakers. I put those Focal integration speakers into the front and it must of triggered some load protection and the subwoofer/lows stopped working on the Helix. When I put the OEM speakers back in front the Helix Soundbox worked and has worked normally since.

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to do some more research I guess.
      2012 Jetta GLI
      2010 BMW 135i
      2005 MINI Cooper S
      2004 Volvo C70 LPT

12. 04-15-2019 12:19 AM #10
      The stock speakers are riveted in. Drill the rivets out and simply bolt on some new speakers. Add a butyl material between the speaker and car door.

I used these in my 2016
      https://www.amazon.com/Alpine-SPS-61...gateway&sr=8-1

Butyl
      https://www.amazon.com/Noico-deadeni...gateway&sr=8-7

Vehicles
      2012/Vokswagen/Jetta GLI
      04-15-2019 03:32 PM #11
      I have recently upgraded my whole sound system and I didn't get an aftermarket amp for the door speakers. All you have to do is get a drill bit to drill out the stock rivets and then measure the holes and buy some metal screws from home depot to mount the aftermarket speakers. Also if you use crutchfield.com, you can search by your vehicle and it will give you tips on how to replace everything. They also sell an adapter that has a positive (+) and negative (-) terminal on one side, and the oem speaker connector on the other side so it requires no jerryrigging. I personally like songs with a lot of bass so if you're interested in my speakers, this is what i got. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB5...io-DB-522.html

if you have any other questions, let me know and I'd be happy to help. I like to think that I'm pretty knowledgeable on this topic.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Jetta SEL
      04-20-2019 07:44 PM #12
      Recommend the Noico 80mil, i think I got 36sq feet? That was enough to do all 4 doors. I got super silly and did the inner door skins, inside door metal, and did door panels. Also applied this closed cell vinyl foam self adhesive stuff used for dampening aircraft on inside the plastic door panels

https://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalog...oofinstall.php

Sounds nice!

15. 09-11-2019 10:31 PM #13
      I just had some Pioneers installed in the front doors of my 2015 GLI which I purchased from a second tier dealership without recognizing that the speakers were blown - duhh!

Anyway, found a dude named Bob who operates a place named All Audio in San Rafael Calfornia who did a fantastic job installing the new speakers - system sounds great, and I am happy!

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-dbXSjT...TS-A1686R.html

I'm thinking about going back to All Audio to have Bob replace the rear door Fender two ways, but at this point it's not necessary. It's interesting how the front door speakers were both failed though - both cones separated from the perimeter rim/cushion. Perhaps that's standard fare on a blown speaker.

Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      09-12-2019 09:41 AM #14
      I replaced all my door speakers with Infinity Kappas.
      Fuelly | 2012 GLI M/T | APR Stage 2 | SouthBend Stage 2 Daily | Forge Short Shift / Side Shift | CTS Turbo Intake | GFB DV+ | AWE Tuning Touring Turbo-back | Unibrace UB | CTS Turbo Catch Can | NeuSpeed TOP | ECS Throttle Pipe | ECS Pendulum Mount w/ BFI Stg 2 Insert | I have VCDS if you need it!

Vehicles
      2010 jetta s
      09-12-2019 10:48 AM #15
      seems a little silly to me that one would go through all the trouble of replacing the stock speakers with higher quality aftermarket speakers and not provide amp(s). If nothing else by adding amp/loc you can resolve the bass management of the factory head unit. Of course the amp(s) also provide many other benefits as well. and not just to be able to achieve higher volume.

18. 09-12-2019 09:53 PM #16
      I would definitely go with component speakers, there more expensive but there worth every penny, the 2/3 way speakers sacrifice a lot of miss and bass. I ran type r alpines in my last car with a cheap 4 way amp and the sound was fantastic, I'll be doing the same to my current car at some point.