VWVortex.com - Idle issues, high fue consumption
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Idle issues, high fue consumption

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      02 Astra Coupe (worked) - Sold, 06 Subaru Impreza - Written Off, 2000 VW Passat B5 1.8T (SS Passat)
      04-12-2019 03:21 AM #1
      Morning all, thank the stars its Friday!!!!!!

So recently my 2000 B5 Passat has been giving me a few hassles.
      I got the car in December 2018 and the first thing I did a service (didn't do oil as the guard under the engine bay was bent and needed to be elevated to get it out.
      car ran well and we took a 400km drive to Kzn, car ran beautifully and did roughly 15.5km/litre

Back home, it started of with a slightly erratic idle and after a few weeks that lead to what felt like a miss fire while driving and a power loss.
      will driving I would put my foot down and the car would hesitate and then rocket off (both auto and manual mode), so mainly as lower rpm.
      The fuel consumption went for a ball of sh!t nad there was a HUGE smell of fuel in the cabin.

I did an oil change (there was a heavy fuel smell in the oil and the filter) last weekend and cleaned the AFM, the miss under acceleration is 99% gone, the fuel consumption has gotten better, there is power again and the power delivery is smooth and no more furl smell
      This is, once the car hits 90 Degrees, it starts to hunt slightly during idle, in my mind, it feels as if it happens more when I press the brake pedal.

Someone suggested changing the temperature sensor or the 02 sensor. Has anybody had similar issues and how was it resolved.

TIA

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 04-12-2019 01:56 PM #2
      I'd check for vacuum leaks, although those usually cause problems at idle at any temp.

Best bet though would be to get an OBDII reader and scan the car for any trouble codes.

4. n00b
      Vehicles
      02 Astra Coupe (worked) - Sold, 06 Subaru Impreza - Written Off, 2000 VW Passat B5 1.8T (SS Passat)
      04-15-2019 04:11 AM #3
      firstly, apologies for all the spelling errors (that was terrible)

noted, will get a vacuum diagram and have a squizz.
      I changed the water temp sensor this weekend and I must admit that the car has never felt smoother (maybe [psychological) but as soon as the heat gauge hits 90 deg, the miss/idle hunt starts again.

Could it not maybe be an injector issue due the to fuel smell in the oil?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 04-15-2019 04:04 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by UreeBee View Post
      Could it not maybe be an injector issue due the to fuel smell in the oil?
      Could still be anything I would think that a fuel injector running rich would trigger a code of some sort, especially if it was bad enough to mess up the idle. Having VCDS would allow you to track the fuel trims, etc and would be a huge asset for this type of problem.