VWVortex.com - Criagslist To Start Charging To List Vehicles.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Criagslist To Start Charging To List Vehicles.

Vehicles
      German Vans, British cars, and a motorbike.
      04-12-2019 10:34 AM #1
      https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...ar-seller-fee/

Craigslist is a haven for the car-obsessed. The site's car buying and selling section is a simple, easy way to find cool cars for sale, or sell a car without fuss. In the 20-plus years of the site's existence, the service has been free, whether you were buying or selling a car, truck, or anything else. Well, that's about to change. Starting April 15th, 2019, Craigslist will now implement a $5 fee to list a car or truck for sale.

The news comes from Craigslist's listing page. If you go to list a car or truck by owner, a message on the side of the selection box reads "please note - $5 fee per ad starting April 15." The news first appeared on Reddit, and I was able to find the message myself when going through the listing process.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '15 TLX. 13 TSX-W, '01 S2000
      04-12-2019 10:35 AM #2
      This means I can continue to list my sexual services for free?

4. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      04-12-2019 10:43 AM #3
      Shocking but fair and will reduce the number of reposts, especially for "local" cars that are actually way out of region.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Vehicles
      2011 SAAB 9-5, 2013 Ford Fusion
      04-12-2019 10:55 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      Shocking but fair and will reduce the number of reposts, especially for "local" cars that are actually way out of region.
      Amen to that. Maybe if it costs somebody $5 each time, they will finally update their existing ad instead of creating ten copies of the same one.

Learn what the bible really says about the End Times:

http://www.bibleprophecytruth.com

6. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      04-12-2019 11:01 AM #5
      It’s been that way for dealers for years. It actually made things better and it made the site more effective.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Vehicles
      the kidney people wouldn't take it
      04-12-2019 11:02 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by MontoyaF1 View Post
      Amen to that. Maybe if it costs somebody $5 each time, they will finally update their existing ad instead of creating ten copies of the same one.

I'd guess it is because of dealers using the platform (in some cases exclusively) to list their vehicle. Quite a few small-time dealers listing in "by owner" as well, a big pet peeve of mine.

Craigslist started doing the same thing in the mid-2000s with real estate listings in some markets. Realtors (including one I worked for, for a time) also used the platform exclusively for their sales and I am sure that many still do.
      call it potatography

Vehicles
      2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport
      04-12-2019 11:04 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      And possibly spammers listing every car model under the sun to pop up in every result.
      The taxes...the finger thing means the taxes.

Vehicles
      04-12-2019 11:16 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by VarianceVQ View Post
      And possibly spammers listing every car model under the sun to pop up in every result.
      It won't fix that. Pick a keyword or two that's irrelevant to your search , add a "-" before it and it will exclude results that include that keyword.
      call it potatography

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 128i, 2007 SV650
      04-12-2019 11:37 AM #9
      I probably won’t describe this very well, but I feel like there is a category of car listings on CL usually defined by some combination of “NO TEXTS, NO EMAILS, CASH ONLY, WILL ONLY DEAL FACE-TO-FACE” statements in the listing. Sometimes minimal and/or poor quality pics and information, poor grammar and spelling, etc.

I get the sense that these listings are made by people (or a proxy) who maybe don’t know a bunch about the car, or maybe are uncomfortable or unfamiliar with technology and are hesitant to put personal information on THE INTERNET. But, it’s free and they’re willing to put aside their discomfort to unload a car. IMHO this category contains some of the more fun discoveries and interesting cars on CL. I wonder if the payment requirement will now be one step too much for these sellers and the stuff I’m most interested in will drop off.

Vehicles
      Handed in my car enthusiast 'card'.
      04-12-2019 11:40 AM #10
      Now people will list cars in a “free” category...

Vehicles
      German Vans, British cars, and a motorbike.
      04-12-2019 11:50 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by turbo_nine View Post
      It won't fix that. Pick a keyword or two that's irrelevant to your search , add a "-" before it and it will exclude results that include that keyword.
      Agreed. It might keep people from ruining your search in neighboring cities, though...

If there was only a way for the site to limit the search to only titles and/or a limited number of tags.

Vehicles
      997.1 + 190E
      04-12-2019 01:53 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by someguy123 View Post
      I'm sure they will be monitoring all other categories to see if vehicles start getting listed where they aren't supposed to be. Could be a quick way to get your email/account blocked for repeat offenders.

I am looking forward to seeing how this will change my daily searches where I frequently see: multiple listings for a single vehicle, spam/bot-like listings, and listing that have basically no information or photos at all. I hope this will help generate more complete and better quality listings for vehicles overall.

Vehicles
      2002 VW Golf, 1996 BMW 328i
      04-12-2019 02:04 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Hofmeister Kink View Post
      I probably won’t describe this very well, but I feel like there is a category of car listings on CL usually defined by some combination of “NO TEXTS, NO EMAILS, CASH ONLY, WILL ONLY DEAL FACE-TO-FACE” statements in the listing. Sometimes minimal and/or poor quality pics and information, poor grammar and spelling, etc.

I get the sense that these listings are made by people (or a proxy) who maybe don’t know a bunch about the car, or maybe are uncomfortable or unfamiliar with technology and are hesitant to put personal information on THE INTERNET. But, it’s free and they’re willing to put aside their discomfort to unload a car. IMHO this category contains some of the more fun discoveries and interesting cars on CL. I wonder if the payment requirement will now be one step too much for these sellers and the stuff I’m most interested in will drop off.
      Yeah, that's what I'm concerned about. It isn't the money here that's a potential problem, it's the convenience/ sense of security. Is listing a car worth $5? Sure, I could probably vacuum $5 worth of loose change out of my couch right now. Is listing a car worth putting my credit card information into Craigslist? Eh...

Vehicles
      04-12-2019 02:06 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by t_white View Post
      spam/bot-like listings
      I bet this is something to do with it, too. Bots are definitely posting in the Seattle craigslist these days. Excluding the rare luddite trying to list their cousin's neighbor's car is a small price for cleaning up a whole lot of other junk.
      call it potatography

Vehicles
      2013 GTI/9-5 Aero SportCombi/993
      04-12-2019 02:10 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Hofmeister Kink View Post

This. All of the random stuff (which often fits the above description) that I love browsing for will likely disappear. The cheap clunkers, etc. Kinda sad .
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

Vehicles
      '16 e-Golf SE, '00 GTI 1.8t, '15 Accord Sport CVT, '92 F-250 4X4
      04-12-2019 02:11 PM #16
      My last two vehicle purchases were found on CL - one private party and one small car lot. I have two I want to sell this summer. Guess I’ll need to add $5 to the selling price.

18. 04-12-2019 02:41 PM #17
      Seems like they're happy to just hand over this portion of their traffic to Facebook Marketplace. Ah well, nobody uses craigslist up here anyways, it's all Kijiji in eastern Canada.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 GTI, '18 F22, '13 E88, etc.
      04-12-2019 02:48 PM #18
      $5? I'd say this is great news. If I want to sell on ebay or something I would pay far more than that, but $5 is enough to get the CC involved and prevent some junk posts. If I list a car on craigslist it's always serious enough that $5 makes little difference, and along those lines the times I've sold cars on craigslist they've given me far more than $5 in exposure and value.

Quote Originally Posted by t_white View Post
      I'm sure they will be monitoring all other categories to see if vehicles start getting listed where they aren't supposed to be. Could be a quick way to get your email/account blocked for repeat offenders.
      Agree, and I'd add that they have the 'report' button so that users can self-police.

Vehicles
      04-12-2019 03:14 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Chazwozza View Post
      Seems like they're happy to just hand over this portion of their traffic to Facebook Marketplace.

Is this still available?
      call it potatography

04-12-2019 03:15 PM #20
      I'm with it. Reduces that trash tier posts hopefully. I think they should charge more for dealers, though.

Vehicles
      13 Highlander Hybrid Limited, 06 Miata Sport, 05 Sienna LE, 02 Ninja 250
      04-12-2019 04:26 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by someguy123 View Post
      They can try, but I won't be looking there for a car, so I will literally miss every single car that is posted that way.

There are lots of other free options if people don't want to use CL to post their cars because of the $5 fee.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      small car that does it all, incredibly reliable too
      04-12-2019 04:37 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Karl O. View Post
      This means I can continue to list my sexual services for free?
      They don't have a section for sex ads.

Vehicles
      2002 VW Golf, 1996 BMW 328i
      04-12-2019 04:41 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by turbo_nine View Post
      Is this still available?
      It is, but like the rest of Facebook it's pretty inept. There's good stuff listed there and it gives you the advantage of seeing who is actually list things, but boy is it difficult to navigate. It seems to be mostly posts of items that have been sold for months that people just haven't taken down, and there isn't any obvious way to sort listings by date posted, so if you search for something 95% of the ads were posted "over a week ago." At least that's my experience with it.

25. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      04-12-2019 04:42 PM #24
      I think this is fine. $5 isn't sufficient to deter someone who is serious about selling a used car.

Vehicles
      2005 Jetta Wagon TDI manuel 1.5 Malone, 2014 Tiguan 4MO
      04-12-2019 04:44 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by antilock View Post
      They don't have a section for sex ads.
      Skilled trade?

Lessons?

Labor?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast