VWVortex

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars IX

1. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q; '18 UBM Q3q
      12-18-2019 03:19 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Some reviews I've read state TLJ strayed from the way while IX goes back to form. Sounds like it may be another TFA type movie with a predictable plot to please traditional fans.

Regardless my tickets are ready for 10:30 PM Thursday night.
      problem is the predictable plot was trashed by traditional fans.

and as everyone knows, but most don't understand the meaning, you can't go home again. Nothing new will ever capture the nostalgia of the OT. It happens in every long-running franchise.
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"
      If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious
      SRT__________________\_________________________SRT

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2013 Charger R/T Road & Track, 2015 Mini Cooper S 4Dr
      12-18-2019 04:02 PM #52
      Sounds like it may be another TFA type movie with a predictable plot to please traditional fans.
      Everything I've read seems to indicate this. The trailer even has Emperor 2.0, so there you go.

Anyway, I might catch it next week. My 8 year old son isn't really interested.

4. 12-18-2019 04:14 PM #53
      Some reviews I've read state TLJ strayed from the way while IX goes back to form. Sounds like it may be another TFA type movie with a predictable plot to please traditional fans.

Regardless my tickets are ready for 10:30 PM Thursday night.

The Last Jedi was actually a lot better flick than The Force Awakens (not saying much). JJ Abrams can suck it and most reviews say this is a big mess, that being said I have tickets for 6:00 tomorrrow night.

G&C is right that you can't go home again, but at least you can visit your home town. As I stated earlier, Rogue One felt like a Star Wars film, unlike the rest of the house of mouse films.

5. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q; '18 UBM Q3q
      12-18-2019 05:48 PM #54
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"
      If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious
      SRT__________________\_________________________SRT

6. 12-18-2019 07:20 PM #55
      As the cartoon states "was."

Thanks for reinforcing my point.

7. 12-20-2019 07:32 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by SWeetie View Post
      x eleventy billion
      After watching ep 9 last night, the theatre of people 19+ in age was dead silent. I was certainly underwhelmed by the plot, a director can only do so much to rescue a mess created by multiple writers, directors and film studios.

If I had recommend a new viewer to the whole Star Wars franchise, I would say watch ep 4-6, Rogue One and ignore the rest

Sent from using Tapatalk

Secret underground lair with machine gun turrets
      Vehicles
      392+485=LOL
      12-20-2019 11:23 AM #57
      It is becoming clear to me that Disney never had an overall plan or vision for the SW franchise. JJA tried to make a fan service movie and added a few softball plot points for another writer/director team to follow on (Rey's identity, Ren's motivation, Luke's disappearance, etc...). Johnson came along and tried to be way too clever. I saw in an interview where JJ said he just tried to knit it all back together in a way that made sense. They both made enough mistakes that my family will wait for it to stream.

Oh, and Kathleen Kennedy shares quite a bit of the blame as well.
      Quote Originally Posted by Col. David Crockett
      I told the people of my district, that, if they saw fit to re-elect me, I would serve them as faithfully as I had done; but, if not, they might go to Hell, and I would go to Texas.

Vehicles
      2016 A3
      12-20-2019 11:33 AM #58
      Well, that was a movie.
      "Personally, I believe that 'fairness' consists in the fruits of my labor not being taken by corrupt hacks to redistribute to their cronies in exchange for votes." -- Glenn Reynolds

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 A4 Avant
      12-20-2019 11:44 AM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by wilm13 View Post
      As I stated earlier, Rogue One felt like a Star Wars film, unlike the rest of the house of mouse films.
      Rogue One is possibly my favorite Star Wars film, might have to watch it again soon.

As for episode IX, I'll go see it with my son sometime next week. I don't have high expectations, but as long as I am entertained for a couple hours it's good enough.

Vehicles
      2016 A3
      12-20-2019 11:48 AM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      It is becoming clear to me that Disney never had an overall plan or vision for the SW franchise. JJA tried to make a fan service movie and added a few softball plot points for another writer/director team to follow on (Rey's identity, Ren's motivation, Luke's disappearance, etc...). Johnson came along and tried to be way too clever. I saw in an interview where JJ said he just tried to knit it all back together in a way that made sense. They both made enough mistakes that my family will wait for it to stream.

Oh, and Kathleen Kennedy shares quite a bit of the blame as well.
      I rewatched TFA and TLJ over the last two nights and at the risk of inciting more division and argument, I'll just say -- IMO -- BOTH of those movies are far better than they are commonly thought to be right now. They will hold up, in my view. I'll just stop there.

I don't think TROS is going to be that lucky.

What gets me with respect to KK (and she has a tough job, let's be honest) is ... why didn't she lean on Pixar more? If you know anything about Pixar, you know that they have this very carefully curated and protected process for developing the STORIES of their movies. They workshop story TO DEATH, and it takes them years to come up with a story and characters that are good enough to commit to film. And the result of that is like a 90% (or better) home run rate. Almost everyone agrees, I think -- when they're not locked in mortal combat with each other -- that the problem with the new SW films is the STORY. Why didn't they engage the Pixar story gurus to help with the sequel trilogy? I feel like every mediocre screenwriter who loves SW feels like, oh yeah, I can write for this franchise, but NO. Writing good SW is hard -- you have to get the mix of camp, humor, heart, and myth JUST right or the whole thing sucks. It's not just something you can turn out on deadline and expect it to be any good (which is maybe another problem - the deadline and the speed with which Disney wanted these films out to recoup their investment).

(and no, I don't think George is the answer, and I don't think Dave Filoni is the answer either)
      "Personally, I believe that 'fairness' consists in the fruits of my labor not being taken by corrupt hacks to redistribute to their cronies in exchange for votes." -- Glenn Reynolds

12. 12-20-2019 12:05 PM #61
      It was ok. Many WTF moments, especially in the third act. I got a little verklempt once. All I'll say for now.

Vehicles
      392+485=LOL
      12-20-2019 12:05 PM #62
      W/re to TFA and TLJ, I'll take your word for it. I watched the former three times and each viewing was less enjoyable than the prior. I came out of TLJ underwhelmed and... Revulsion is probably too strong a word, but close to that. I simply can't watch it again, I hated it that much.

I guess Kevin Feige is taking over the property? I love what he did with the first couple phases of the MCU and became less impressed with the more recent outings. Favreau is doing a great job with The Mandalorian and there's talk that he might direct and/or produce the next cycle in the SW franchise.
      I told the people of my district, that, if they saw fit to re-elect me, I would serve them as faithfully as I had done; but, if not, they might go to Hell, and I would go to Texas.

Vehicles
      2016 A3
      12-20-2019 12:11 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      W/re to TFA and TLJ, I'll take your word for it. I watched the former three times and each viewing was less enjoyable than the prior. I came out of TLJ underwhelmed and... Revulsion is probably too strong a word, but close to that. I simply can't watch it again, I hated it that much.

I guess Kevin Feige is taking over the property? I love what he did with the first couple phases of the MCU and became less impressed with the more recent outings. Favreau is doing a great job with The Mandalorian and there's talk that he might direct and/or produce the next cycle in the SW franchise.
      They haven't really said what Feige is going to do, apart from he is interested in producing "a film", or something to that effect.

As far as anyone knows, they haven't given him the keys to the franchise, yet. And I kinda hope they don't -- SW isn't Marvel and I don't know that what it needs is more Marvelization.

Agree that Favreau seems to get it about as well as anyone, right now, IMO.

Vehicles
      392+485=LOL
      12-20-2019 12:21 PM #64
      I would hope that Feige would be smart enough not to Marvel-ize the SW franchise.

Vehicles
      2016 A3
      12-20-2019 12:32 PM #65
      One would hope...

Vehicles
      '12 Ford Explorer, '02 EJ251 Outback
      12-20-2019 01:36 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by naiku View Post
      Rogue One is possibly my favorite Star Wars film, might have to watch it again soon.
      I'm teetering on R1 being my favorite also. I love everything about that movie: Jen Erso's character, knowing she's on a suicide mission, a phenomenal villian in Krennic, the grittiness of battle, the rebel soldiers knowing they're on a one-way trip, the complete destruction of Blue Squadron, the HammerHead Corvette. It's the whole package. Dammit Disney...you had a gem with this movie.
      <<<--Between the Evergreens-->>>
      between.the.evergreens <---my IG

Vehicles
      2016 A3
      12-20-2019 03:13 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by SWeetie View Post
      I'm teetering on R1 being my favorite also. I love everything about that movie: Jen Erso's character, knowing she's on a suicide mission, a phenomenal villian in Krennic, the grittiness of battle, the rebel soldiers knowing they're on a one-way trip, the complete destruction of Blue Squadron, the HammerHead Corvette. It's the whole package. Dammit Disney...you had a gem with this movie.
      That's just it, for me -- it teeters on greatness but never actually tips over into it.

Needed more character development and a re-think on how they portrayed Saw.

And cut the scene with the tentacle monster.

But it's close -- damn close.

Vehicles
      Two fake rich sedans & one non-Prius hybrid
      12-20-2019 03:36 PM #68
      Jesus was that a good looking trainwreck.

I agree wholeheartedly with my viewing buddy who said TLJ should have never happened. This movie could have stretched and split into two films and we would all be much better for it. As it was IX was too much content stuffed into too short a movie with too many questions left unresolved. Almost felt intentional to give room for more ($$$) literature, TV series, and side story films.
      Last edited by 2.0T_Convert; 12-20-2019 at 03:40 PM.

20. Member
      12-20-2019 07:21 PM #69
      Just saw it. I’ll admit, I was underwhelmed. I had such high hopes, but there is just too much crammed in and too many dumb explanations for the sake of explanations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      2018 Atlas SEL R-Line
      12-20-2019 09:34 PM #70
      I had low expectations after that Rian Johnson abortion. I was happy enough with IX. It felt rushed but at least the space horses weren’t as bad as I was expecting.

Vehicles
      2006 Ford Fusion 2.3 Turbo, 2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid
      12-21-2019 10:01 AM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      but at least the space horses weren’t as bad as I was expecting.

The movie was enjoyable. Sure, it had some annoying plot points (like why even bother have the pointy stabby thing that they kept looking for. Could he not remember what was inscribed?), but still was a fun movie to be entertained with. The humor was enough, and not overpowering.

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      12-21-2019 11:24 AM #72
      Have our tickets for Sunday. So we rewatched The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi last night. I have to say... I really liked those 2 movies and I think all the haters totally overblow the negative points. Sure they aren’t perfect, but neither were the originals, it’s just that we were 7 when we saw those so it didn’t matter. (well, at least I was, I'm old)

Looking forward to wrapping up this saga and getting on to new stories.

24. Member
      12-21-2019 12:02 PM #73
      After time to digest, I think when I see it again with my kids I’ll enjoy it more. Also, I saw it in IMAX projected on an omnimax screen...which is cool but hard to keep track of everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      2016 A3
      12-21-2019 05:10 PM #74
      Liked it a lot more on 2nd viewing. On the first night we saw it in Dolby Atmos, which I love, but either we had poor seats or the audio wasn't tuned for the room properly. Saw it in a large-format LIE-MAX today and sound was MUCH better. Caught a lot more of the dialog and a particular scene where hearing the distinct voices is pretty important.

Definitely gets you right in the feels in a couple of spots.

My wife bawled more on the second time around

This popped up in my Twitter feed today and I think there's a lot of truth here --

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...r-wars-1264579

(big spoilers inside)

Vehicles
      2016 A3
      12-21-2019 05:14 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by Egz View Post

The movie was enjoyable. Sure, it had some annoying plot points (like why even bother have the pointy stabby thing that they kept looking for. Could he not remember what was inscribed?), but still was a fun movie to be entertained with. The humor was enough, and not overpowering.
      (but the pointy stabby thing had the thing that let her see the specific thing on the thing where the thing was)

(but still, yeah, I get you -- these McGuffin-y parts of SW are always dopey af)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast