VWVortex.com - Alternatives to replacing a failed EVC "luggage rack" cap
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Alternatives to replacing a failed EVC "luggage rack" cap

1. 04-12-2019 01:39 PM #1
      The plastic "cap" (aka front fascia for pop-top) on my eurovan camper underwent catastrophic failure while at 65mph. The whole piece separated itself from the mounting brackets & flew over the top of the van. And was promptly smashed to small bits by a following car. Winnebago has always referred to this as a luggage rack, but I've never seen anyone use it that way, and the 'engineering' on the piece is very much wanting.

A replacement from Winnebago is $729 plus shipping, so likely $800. For a lot less than that I'm thinking I could have a custom piece made out of aluminum, & attached to the original brackets. Has anyone done anything like this, & have pics to share?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 04-15-2019 05:10 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by sdu[email protected] View Post
      The plastic "cap" (aka front fascia for pop-top) on my eurovan camper underwent catastrophic failure while at 65mph. The whole piece separated itself from the mounting brackets & flew over the top of the van. And was promptly smashed to small bits by a following car. Winnebago has always referred to this as a luggage rack, but I've never seen anyone use it that way, and the 'engineering' on the piece is very much wanting.

A replacement from Winnebago is $729 plus shipping, so likely $800. For a lot less than that I'm thinking I could have a custom piece made out of aluminum, & attached to the original brackets. Has anyone done anything like this, & have pics to share?
      If you made extra of your aluminum replacement, I'm sure they would get sold. I read often of EVC owners losing their storage fairing above the cab. Usually repairing it and reusing.