VWVortex.com - Is the Lotus Exige a future classic?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the Lotus Exige a future classic?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      C7 Corvette
      04-15-2019 02:38 PM #26
      geeze that didn't take long to decide on!

congrats and post up some more pictures!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      Caterham 7 Superlight R
      04-15-2019 08:15 PM #27
      The door panels and roll up handles look great but like the sliding windows in my classic Mini, they look great but not so great to use. That said, the electric windows aren't that much better in the Lotus since the drivers door doesn't have a switch for the passenger side. Real PITA when you have harness belts.

Great car though. I have a really nice [modded] Elise coming in a few months, looking forward to it.

Already a classic, though the value will probably plummet once Lotus brings a replacement here

Vehicles
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, Family Truckster
      04-15-2019 08:39 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by MoPho View Post

Already a classic, though the value will probably plummet once Lotus brings a replacement here

Doubtful. The replacement will probably be a very different vehicle. The Exige is hard to replicate.

Vehicles
      Caterham 7 Superlight R
      04-15-2019 09:15 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      Doubtful. The replacement will probably be a very different vehicle. The Exige is hard to replicate.

They don't need to replicate it, they only need to make it "better", which they already did with the current one in Europe.

Vehicles
      a Metro pass.
      04-15-2019 09:36 PM #30
      Suuuuper cool finding one with crank windows and cloth seats. Hot color, too. I have long salivated just to drive one of these but haven't ever had the chance. Hope to see lots of posts about this car.
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Subaru fans chalk their negative experiences up to being part of a smaller brand and character. Something about beards, lesbians, and douche-flutes.

Vehicles
      '17 Volt, '16 RDX, '07 911
      04-15-2019 10:58 PM #31
      This is fantastic, congrats Wimbledon. Love the color. Definitely a classic. Please post a detailed write up on the driving experience asap!

Vehicles
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, Family Truckster
      04-15-2019 10:59 PM #32
      They don't need to replicate it, they only need to make it "better", which they already did with the current one in Europe.

That version can’t be sold in the U.S. unless they somehow get a new exemption.

9. 04-15-2019 11:04 PM #33
      Selling the TT?

04-15-2019 11:46 PM #34
      The newer Exiges (series 3 "S3") certainly have a higher performance envelope than the series 2 ("S2"), with much more power, but they're also heavier and less nimble. In European spec, an S2 weighs 978kg and an S3 weighs 1176kg, with the S3 also measuring longer and wider. Those differences add up to a less nimble car, from what I've read. I think it's tough to say the S3 is better...it depends what you're looking for. I'm interested in Lotus for a nimble and connected-to-the-road experience, so I prefer the version that weighs 200kg less. Others would trade some extra weight for the capability of a 911 GT3.

Quote Originally Posted by kraut_pauer79 View Post
      Suuuuper cool finding one with crank windows and cloth seats. Hot color, too. I have long salivated just to drive one of these but haven't ever had the chance. Hope to see lots of posts about this car.
      Quote Originally Posted by NailsInOurBacks View Post
      This is fantastic, congrats Wimbledon. Love the color. Definitely a classic. Please post a detailed write up on the driving experience asap!
      A detailed write up will be coming soon! While I was there driving the Exige, I also drove an Evora 400 and will post a ton of pictures and impressions on that car as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dhvag View Post
      Selling the TT?
      I keep going back and forth on selling it, but I'm going to keep it for now. I still enjoy every time I drive it, especially when I get to hear the VR6. On that note, dailying an EV has made fun ICEs a bit more special again. I love the Fiat -- it just puts a new perspective on the ICE experience.

I think my end game with the TT is to finally sell it when I can replace it with a later model year (maybe a 2015) V8 Vantage manual in a few years. The V8 Vantage left a real impression on me and speaks to me more than the M3s/Porsches/Mustangs/Evora/etc that I've driven.
      Last edited by Wimbledon; 04-16-2019 at 12:04 AM.
      2018 Fiat 500e eSport - Pompei Silver
      2008 Audi TT Coupe 3.2 VR6 Quattro 6MT - Ibis White

11. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      04-16-2019 12:05 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Wimbledon View Post
      The newer Exiges (series 3 "S3") certainly have a higher performance envelope than the series 2 ("S2"), with much more power, but they're also heavier and less nimble. In European spec, an S2 weighs 978kg and an S3 weighs 1176kg, with the S3 also measuring longer and wider. Those differences add up to a less nimble car, from what I've read. I think it's tough to say the S3 is better...it depends what you're looking for. I'm interested in Lotus for a nimble and connected-to-the-road experience, so I prefer the version that weighs 200kg less. Others would trade some extra weight for the capability of a 911 GT3.
      Only S3 I’ve driven was a Cup, so that was a special experience. I’d imagine road car for road car youre spot on though.
      Last edited by Sold Over Sticker; 04-16-2019 at 12:53 AM.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

04-16-2019 01:31 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Only S3 I’ve driven was a Cup, so that was a special experience. I’d imagine road car for road car youre spot on though.
      That must have been a special experience. I'd like to drive one at some point. I'm thinking I should make a trip to Hethel and enroll in one of their driving experiences while they're still producing the S3.

---

The S1 is definitely a classic...and eligible for import in 6 years!

https://www.seloc.org/articles/guide...e-photo-shoot/

The original Exige, now known as the S1, was derived directly from Lotus’s own race car. The Sport Elise had its own domestic racing championship in the early part of the last decade. The racer donated its dramatic Kamm-tailed bodywork and lumpy K-series engine (which had previously seen service in the manic 340R) to a limited run of road cars produced between 2000 and 2001. With UK road registered numbers now dwindling, it seems hard to believe that Lotus actually struggled to shift the Exige in period.

According to its own figures, Lotus produced 583 S1 Exiges and they’re now considered something of a commodity. Rising values are not dissuading owners from using their cars, though, and the Exige is a regular sight at track days and events across the country. It’s a compelling car, which seems only to become more beguiling with time. As mainstream cars seem ever to remove the driver from the driving process, the Exige hardwires you in – it’s like intravenous motoring.

The S1 is not an easy car to live with and it would take a masochistic temperament to use one on a daily basis. The drive train is race car raw with hacking, lumpy low-rev hostility and shrieking violence higher up the rev range. It gets mighty hot in the cabin and on a committed drive you emerge drenched in sweat from the physicality of it all. Subsequent Exiges have been faster, but none has been more intense.

By comparison, Andy Gates’ gorgeous S2 Exige seems civility personified – though compared to just about anything else on the road it’s still as raw as an open wound. The S2 Exige entered production only three years after S1 Production ceased, yet the car seems from a different age. Though now motivated by a serial production Toyota engine, rather than the VHPD Rover unit in the S1, any thoughts that the Exige might have calmed down prove unfounded.

The Toyota 2ZZ-GE may only displace 1.8l but it revs to a giddy 8,500rpm, higher even than the VHPD. With a distinct cam change ‘kick’ at 6,200rpm it creates a usefully schizophrenic character which thrives on hard driving. The moment the engine hits the high-lift cam the induction note hardens and acceleration changes from brisk to rapid. It’s seriously addictive.

The S2 became an instant hit for Lotus. Combining plenty of the visual drama of the S1 but asking for far less commitment from owners, it has gone on to sales success. Successive models have added superchargers offering greater power, bigger brakes and bodywork revisions. The original, naturally aspirated version still hits the spot perfectly though. This model helped opened the door to new generations of Lotus owners with game-changing performance on and off track, combined with remarkable build and reliability. Oh, and beating a helicopter gunship on TV’s Top Gear did it no harm either.

By comparison, the latest V6 Exige S looks an entirely different car. It’s longer and broader with a thicker-set stance which offers greater presence than its forbears. If ever there is a topic to arouse widespread debate in Lotus circles, it is weight – mostly the accusation of too much of it. The new Exige S breaks the sacred 1,000kg barrier for the first time. Perhaps even worse for Exige die-hards, the new car now dispenses with that crowning bastion of Exige-ness – the roof scoop. While the S1 needed all the cool air it could get to prevent untimely detonation and later S2s needed it to feed to hungry intercoolers, the latest S3 Exige didn’t require one so none was fitted. The horror…

Putting aside these preconceptions, take the new Exige S in isolation and it is an amazing achievement from a small company. The drive train is suddenly more characterful than it ever was in the Evora S, with agitated pops and gurgles on the over-run. That engine is simply mighty, with phenomenal acceleration in any gear at any speed. It delivers you deep into licence-losing territory with terrifying ease. That the chassis is the equal of the engine is nothing short of miraculous. It smoothes out bumps, ridges and crests in a way which must have Rolls Royce engineers scratching their heads. As a driving experience it’s hard to think of anything else short of a Ferrari 458 which could touch it.

Delivery issues have been well publicised online and probably don’t warrant discussion here. Suffice it to say that the works are selling cars as fast as they can produce them; the problem is they’re struggling to produce them fast enough. Still, if the testimonials from owners are as positive as the road tests then this promises to be a massive success for Lotus – and it deserves to be.
      Last edited by Wimbledon; 04-16-2019 at 02:08 AM.

Vehicles
      Caterham 7 Superlight R
      04-16-2019 01:43 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      That version can’t be sold in the U.S. unless they somehow get a new exemption.
      Yes, I know, the point is they already made a more desirable (to more people) car, there is no reason they can't make another. Most people don't want a stripped out light weight toy car with a small high revving engine, they may say they do, but the reality is they don't want to own one, it's like people saying they love station wagons, yet no one buys them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wimbledon View Post

The thing is MOST people would trade some extra weight for the capability of a GT3, most people are seduced by horsepower more than nimbleness, so by most peoples standards it is better. When the S2 first came to the States, people ran out and bought them and then promptly sold them after discovering they were too uncomfortable for them and didn't like folding themselves into it, they also were complaining how they would get blown away on the straights by Porsches and Corvettes. After a year or two, the market was flooded with used ones and new ones sat on the lots, values fell, production of US spec cars slowed drastically. The only reason there is something of a resurgence in them now is because higher mileage ones are going for $25-30k and they appeal to young people wanting an exotic car for not so much money. Easier to deal with daily driving in low comfort when you're in your 20's. But at higher prices it's older people with the money and they start to compete with other used sports cars that are better all rounders.
      I am sure that at some point it will become a "future classic" but if Lotus comes out with a newer one, it will keep the prices down in the short term because those that have the means to spend more will want the newer one. IMO

And you don't need to tell me about the nimble lightweight Lotus ethos, I've owned Lotus cars for over 20 years now and the Elise (which has been in my family since new and is one of the first in the country in 05) will be the heaviest one I've owned ( my super 7 is around 800lbs lighter), I know light and nimble. In fact the reason I am getting the Elise is because I reached the age where I need something more "comfortable" to drive, so that should tell you something about my standards. I am not a fan of the S3

Last edited by MoPho; 04-16-2019 at 01:48 AM.

04-16-2019 01:53 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by KingUnderpants View Post
      Shhhh.... guys, it's my secret track car dream to buy one with engine trouble and swap a Honda K24 in it.
      You might like this S1 for sale in Florida:

https://www.wirewheel.com/2000-Lotus...otorsport.html

2000 LOTUS ELISE MOTORSPORT

HONDA K24 Turbo

Yellow/black & red interior
      1 of only 65 Lotus Elise Motorsport Factory built race cars
      Excellent overall condition
      1 owner car, original Bill of Sale from Lotus Cars USA
      Currently being re-fitted with the original 225 HP Rover "K" Series engine, with Caterham roller throttle bodies
      AP 4 piston front calipers and AP 2 piston alloy rear calipers
      Brake bias adjuster
      Full roll cage
      Dynamic adjustable shocks with remote reservoirs
      Fire system with remote
      Stack dash with data
      Rear view camera
      $59,900

15. Member
      Vehicles
      '13 Optima SX-L, '11 MKX, '06 ER-6N
      04-16-2019 07:34 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      Future classic? It was a classic even when it was being sold new here. Who knows about future value, but I love the idea of these vehicles. Hopefully we'll see new versions of these on our shores at some point in the coming years.
      Yea... if you can afford and enjoy one it's a no brainer

04-16-2019 11:37 AM #40
      Yes, I know, the point is they already made a more desirable (to more people) car, there is no reason they can't make another. Most people don't want a stripped out light weight toy car with a small high revving engine, they may say they do, but the reality is they don't want to own one, it's like people saying they love station wagons, yet no one buys them.

I am not a fan of the S3
      To be clear, I'm still a fan of the S3. Even if it is heavier than an S2, it's still lighter than just about anything else on the road, with reportedly terrific dynamics, and I'd love to drive or own one.

I just can't see Lotus Cars USA offering again another car lighter in weight like the S2 with a naturally-aspirated engine.

Hope you enjoy the Elise!

04-17-2019 12:23 AM #41
      My friend used to live in a apartment building that had relatively deep parking stalls, but not deep enough to tandem park two regular cars. One couple went out and got two smart cars that fit in the spot fine.

Couple years later a military couple got a Elise and a exige and both DD them. Mad respect lol.

I have a picture on my computer some where.

I love these cars for how comically small they are.

18. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      diesels, and an mg
      04-17-2019 01:13 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by g34343greg View Post
      geeze that didn't take long to decide on!

congrats and post up some more pictures!
      no kidding!

Vehicles
      Caterham 7 Superlight R
      04-17-2019 02:03 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by HI SPEED View Post
      My friend used to live in a apartment building that had relatively deep parking stalls, but not deep enough to tandem park two regular cars. One couple went out and got two smart cars that fit in the spot fine.

Couple years later a military couple got a Elise and a exige and both DD them. Mad respect lol.

I have a picture on my computer some where.

I love these cars for how comically small they are.

I lived in condo apartment with a tandem stall for a while, was able to park both Lotus in the single forward spot with a tire on the paint on each side and then put my DD behind them

Vehicles
      Present: 991.1 GT3 Past: ND MX-5, GVB STI
      04-17-2019 11:59 AM #44
      I lived in condo apartment with a tandem stall for a while, was able to park both Lotus in the single forward spot with a tire on the paint on each side and then put my DD behind them

Brilliant

04-18-2019 12:56 AM #45
      Found some S2 Exige factory footage...from nearly 15 years ago now.

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      04-18-2019 08:44 AM #46
      Fantastic!! Can’t wait for the full write up! Congratulations.

04-18-2019 04:07 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Fantastic!! Can’t wait for the full write up! Congratulations.

I am beyond excited for this car. Full write up will definitely be coming.

The dealer updated me today that the starter relay was replaced, serpentine belt was replaced, four brand new tires (the OEM Yokohamas) were put on, car was aligned, and more items will be fixed by early next week. They recently changed all the fluids and installed a new battery too.

After some others items are complete early next week, the car will be shipped cross-country!

I’ve been very impressed with this dealer so far. If everything continues to go well, I’ll give them a shout out in the full write-up thread.

A 2019 Lotus 3-Eleven arrived on their lot yesterday.
      Attached Images
      Last edited by Wimbledon; 04-18-2019 at 04:14 PM.

Vehicles
      #81 SM 1.6
      04-18-2019 04:37 PM #48
      you are gonna lose your ass on it, if you do anything other than leave it under a car cover.

unreliable, terrible parts supply, a front clamshell will total the car, oh, and they make for kinda garbage cars (defrost doesn't work for **** etc etc).

i used to want one, but then i talked to some owners, and wow, they are pretty much total piles of garbage, and honestly, don't drive that much better than anything else.
      Quote Originally Posted by VigorousZX View Post
      In their unquenchable thirst for world domination, the aristocrats tax peoples time so as to keep its cattle viewed populations forever in servitude. They have gone as far as brainwashing and banning the western world that marrying your first cousin is forbidden and results in retardation... and thus have disturbed human evolutionary densities because broken families are easier to control and will better fall into debt slavery.

25. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      04-18-2019 05:27 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      you are gonna lose your ass on it, if you do anything other than leave it under a car cover.

unreliable, terrible parts supply, a front clamshell will total the car, oh, and they make for kinda garbage cars (defrost doesn't work for **** etc etc).

i used to want one, but then i talked to some owners, and wow, they are pretty much total piles of garbage, and honestly, don't drive that much better than anything else.
      I wish we were better strangers.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

26. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      04-18-2019 05:45 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post

I'd recommend you not spend your hard earned money on one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      I wish we were better strangers.
      I LOL'ed.
      Instagram - efrie004

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast