VWVortex.com - The “SHHHH” Transmission Noise Investigation - NEED YOUR INPUT
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The “SHHHH” Transmission Noise Investigation - NEED YOUR INPUT

1. 05-10-2019 10:53 PM #26
      This transmission mapping issue can be reduced in SPORT Mode.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 08-05-2019 11:47 PM #27
      KBB noticed same sound on their long term Atlas review status.

Were not crazy after all. Lets see what they will do at their next scheduled service for the 20k milestone.

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/2018-vo...ew/2100005683/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      2018 VW Atlas SEL 4Motion 2018, VW Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG
      08-06-2019 06:32 AM #28
      They will do nothing b/c there is nothing to fix. Good a reviewer has mentioned it though. I'm quite sure VW is well aware of this noise and has looked at it and knows this isn't a problem but just an annoyance.
      2018 Atlas SEL VR6 4Motion - K&N drop-in, deAuto interior, fog, and full tail LEDs
      2018 Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG - Unitronic Stage 1+ ECU/TCU/K&N drop-in+air box/duct mods+block off/CTS TIP+TIH+TMD/034 dogbone insert/Golf R RSB

5. 08-09-2019 01:53 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by worldbestsporting View Post
      This transmission mapping issue can be reduced in SPORT Mode.
      Yes i agree and can confirm putting in S helps, it actually solves the issue for me and makes the drive even better and more responsive.

I really think that this is software map issue, in D and not a mechanical issue, otherwise other cars like the Lexus RX would also have this issue and many other 8 gear Toyotas.

Vehicles
      08-09-2019 08:11 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by mustardketchup View Post
      Yes i agree and can confirm putting in S helps, it actually solves the issue for me and makes the drive even better and more responsive.

I really think that this is software map issue, in D and not a mechanical issue, otherwise other cars like the Lexus RX would also have this issue and many other 8 gear Toyotas.

It still doesn't eliminate that condition of hanging third on a near-stop but yes, seems to downshift more frequently to 1/2.
      2018 Atlas SEL VR6 4Motion - K&N drop-in, deAuto interior, fog, and full tail LEDs
      2018 Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG - Unitronic Stage 1+ ECU/TCU/K&N drop-in+air box/duct mods+block off/CTS TIP+TIH+TMD/034 dogbone insert/Golf R RSB

Vehicles
      Arteon SEL-P
      08-09-2019 11:43 AM #31
      I was driving a 2019 SE Tech for about 1,000 miles while my Arteon was being replaced- It made the shhhh noise almost every time I accelerated lightly from a stop. If I accelerated with more power, it would not make the noise.

Sometimes, our 2019 Jetta would do that as well. But the Arteon does not seem to. It appears to be certain mattings of the Aisin 8 spd.

Vehicles
      08-09-2019 03:05 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      I was driving a 2019 SE Tech for about 1,000 miles while my Arteon was being replaced- It made the shhhh noise almost every time I accelerated lightly from a stop. If I accelerated with more power, it would not make the noise.

Sometimes, our 2019 Jetta would do that as well. But the Arteon does not seem to. It appears to be certain mattings of the Aisin 8 spd.
      What was wrong with your Arteon? Didn't you have an Atlas that went back and a Jetta?

9. 08-09-2019 07:02 PM #33
      I also notice that it could be related the Custom Mode setting that is creating that Ssshhh sound. Drove a different different Atlas today in regular Normal mode D, no issues.

I am going to try again once i get my Atlas SEL-P back, in the shop for the passenger door rattle fix.

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Atlas SEL R-Line 4Motion
      08-09-2019 08:57 PM #34
      Just purchased a 2019 SEL R-Line 4Motion with a build date of 05/2019 and it's also making this noise, hit the gas from a slow roll and it seems to make the "Shhh" sound and lags a bit, press the gas harder and it will downshift and the noise goes away. Almost thought it was fan noise before I saw this post.

This is all in Normal mode.

Vehicles
      2019 VW Atlas SEL Premium, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
      08-12-2019 02:20 PM #35
      Before I got my Atlas last week I thought nothing of the reported SHHHH noise. Now that I have had it for a few days and started driving with the windows down.....holy crap.....calling it a SHHH noise is a bit of an understatement. It's pretty loud and grind-y sounding. It doesn't sound good and is very obvious. I''' do some testing and report back.

12. 08-12-2019 04:48 PM #36
      V6 SEL Premium chiming in. I definitely have heard this. I’d like to see what comes of it

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Atlas SEL R-Line 4Motion
      08-12-2019 09:26 PM #37
      It's more like shaking marbles in a tin can type noise... extremely loud.

Vehicles
      2019 Atlas SEL, 2019 Jetta S
      08-13-2019 09:45 AM #38
      I actually like that noise, sounds like a box truck. I have 0 intentions of having it checked out.

Vehicles
      Arteon SEL-P
      08-13-2019 01:42 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by KarstGeo View Post
      What was wrong with your Arteon? Didn't you have an Atlas that went back and a Jetta?
      It was damaged at the port, and VWofA replaced it via trade assistance (since once again they had zero vehicles which were not already allocated at the port). The Atlas was bought back over the digital cockpit issues. The Jetta was surprisingly solid. This brand just can't seem to build (or stand behind) $40-50k cars to save its life. Cars half the price, they seem to have down.

16. 08-13-2019 02:11 PM #40
      Saw some one Facebook just posted there is an investigation into the Tiguan with regards to the same transmission. It talked about leaks but brought up the noise.

Vehicles
      Arteon SEL-P
      08-13-2019 02:19 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by buickman_86 View Post
      Saw some one Facebook just posted there is an investigation into the Tiguan with regards to the same transmission. It talked about leaks but brought up the noise.
      They were investigating the 2019 Jetta as well with the same transmission. The outcome was pretty sad though as they said the noise was related to the torque converter and "normal operation." There was one internal doc which said it could have been related to an improperly seated TC, but I honestly think it is the way it operates to increase efficiency. An extended lock-up of sorts, which just sounds awful if you happen to hear it under low engine power.

I think they need to do something as it is effecting Jettas, Tiguans, and Atlases. That is basically half of their lineup now..

18. 09-11-2019 10:19 PM #42
      Last service I asked the service advisor about this noise. Really cool guy. He talked freely about common Atlas issues. He said VW is still saying it’s normal. He did say they seem to only get complaints from 4-Motion owners. I thought that was odd. I also told him there is a video online of a guy cutting open the torque converter. He was surprised by that. He knew about sport mode helping reduce the noise. My Atlas actually makes the noise from a stop now. It’s not as noticeable but the noise is there.
      2018 V6 SEL with 4MOTION, Captains Chairs, Deep Black Pearl/Shetland

Vehicles
      09-12-2019 10:56 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by shadytheatlas View Post
      Last service I asked the service advisor about this noise. Really cool guy. He talked freely about common Atlas issues. He said VW is still saying it’s normal. He did say they seem to only get complaints from 4-Motion owners. I thought that was odd. I also told him there is a video online of a guy cutting open the torque converter. He was surprised by that. He knew about sport mode helping reduce the noise. My Atlas actually makes the noise from a stop now. It’s not as noticeable but the noise is there.
      This makes sense to me (4Mo being more pronounced) w/r to what is causing the noise. In the 4Mo vehicles there is more resistance in the drivetrain to overcome (even though it's fwd-biased) and the issue is caused by the tranny map keeping it in too high a gear from slow starts (3rd gear vs. 2nd) causing the t-converter to ahve to work hard to get it going causing the noise. In the 4Mo vehicles, this is more pronounced. I buy it. My neighbor's non-4Mo makes the noise but it is much more muted than mine....she didn't even notice it. This whole issue is sorted with a simple tweak to the TCU tune.

Vehicles
      Arteon SEL-P
      09-12-2019 11:33 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by KarstGeo View Post
      This makes sense to me (4Mo being more pronounced) w/r to what is causing the noise. In the 4Mo vehicles there is more resistance in the drivetrain to overcome (even though it's fwd-biased) and the issue is caused by the tranny map keeping it in too high a gear from slow starts (3rd gear vs. 2nd) causing the t-converter to ahve to work hard to get it going causing the noise. In the 4Mo vehicles, this is more pronounced. I buy it. My neighbor's non-4Mo makes the noise but it is much more muted than mine....she didn't even notice it. This whole issue is sorted with a simple tweak to the TCU tune.
      I'm calling b.s. for one reason: my 19 Jetta was fwd and made the noise, and my 19 Arteon is 4mo and doesn't make the noise. They all have the same granny tranny.

21. 09-12-2019 01:17 PM #45
      I'm calling b.s. for one reason: my 19 Jetta was fwd and made the noise, and my 19 Arteon is 4mo and doesn't make the noise. They all have the same granny tranny.
      Its not BS. And its not all same tranny. Different engine torque curve, different shift mapping, different vehicle weight and possibly even different torque converter turbine components. I wouldnt compare model to model. Stick to Atlas only for this discussion.

Vehicles
      Arteon SEL-P
      09-12-2019 01:59 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Andre VW View Post
      Its not BS. And its not all same tranny. Different engine torque curve, different shift mapping, different vehicle weight and possibly even different torque converter turbine components. I wouldnt compare model to model. Stick to Atlas only for this discussion.
      It's the same Aisin 8 speed on all models:

Also, it is literally the same exact issue on the Jetta, which has been discussed in multiple threads. There's even a class action suit currently, so this is not news by any means. It is entirely relevant to the thread.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-please-advise
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...93the-noise%94
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...ission-anomaly
      Last edited by ice4life; 09-12-2019 at 02:01 PM.

23. 09-12-2019 02:45 PM #47
      It's the same Aisin 8 speed on all models:

Also, it is literally the same exact issue on the Jetta, which has been discussed in multiple threads. There's even a class action suit currently, so this is not news by any means. It is entirely relevant to the thread.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-please-advise
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...93the-noise%94
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...ission-anomaly
      Respectfully, I agree its all an Aisin 8 speed from a high level. Not literally the same though. Different torque ratings, different gear spread and different final drive ratios. And thats the transmission. Torque converters would likely be different. Shift logic would likely be different.

Ive researched in the past (few months back) to see how the Jetta issue relates but it seems the Jetta folks talk about a different sound that happens more after 30mph+ in 3rd or 4th gear. And the Jetta one is more of a grumble sound than the “shhhh” on the Atlas.

Idk. Ive got my 10k service coming up so I will put in my formal complaint then and some formal bitching. And will see what happens. Not going to kill myself over it. I only hear it twice per day and that is at my neighborhood stop sign and thats when I drive it on a weekend. My wife could careless and doesnt even notice.

Vehicles
      Arteon SEL-P
      09-12-2019 02:59 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by Andre VW View Post
      Respectfully, I agree its all an Aisin 8 speed from a high level. Not literally the same though. Different torque ratings, different gear spread and different final drive ratios. And thats the transmission. Torque converters would likely be different. Shift logic would likely be different.

Ive researched in the past (few months back) to see how the Jetta issue relates but it seems the Jetta folks talk about a different sound that happens more after 30mph+ in 3rd or 4th gear. And the Jetta one is more of a grumble sound than the “shhhh” on the Atlas.

Idk. Ive got my 10k service coming up so I will put in my formal complaint then and some formal bitching. And will see what happens. Not going to kill myself over it. I only hear it twice per day and that is at my neighborhood stop sign and thats when I drive it on a weekend. My wife could careless and doesnt even notice.
      Fair enough- At the end of the day, you're technically correct that transmission matting does alter the specifics of a transmission's output. In this case, the noise. I can tell you having owned the 19' Jetta, and having owned the 18' Atlas (plus having driven another 19' Atlas during our 19' Arteon replacement), that the sound is consistent. A wooshing noise from a stop. I know some people were experiencing other noises at 30mph, which was a grinding noise upon taking their foot off the accelerator, but first hand I experienced the wooshing noise from a stand-still as well.

What concerns me more is that VW is hiding under a rock with this issue (no surprise with this brand). As I understand, from an industry standpoint, they do not want to make any mapping changes, as it changes the emissions output of the vehicle and they would have to get the MY re-certified. That is why 2018 Tiguan owners cannot get the mapping flash that the 2019 has as it has a different emissions output. I would not put it past VW trying to avoid a recall due to the emissions changes and their history with dieselgate.
      Last edited by ice4life; 09-12-2019 at 03:04 PM.

Vehicles
      2018 VW Atlas SEL 4Motion R-Line 3.6, 2008 VW Jetta SE 2.5
      09-12-2019 09:08 PM #49
      I've been watching discussions on this issue, and what I keep wondering about all the other cars with the same Aisin 8-speed--Volvos, BMWs, Lexuses, etc. If they don't have the issue and the Atlas (and Jetta) do, that seems to cut strongly in favor of it being a mapping issue as opposed to basic a hardware issue--although I'm sure there's some extent of hardware differences between the VW applications and the transmissions used by other brands, so who knows, that could also be the cause. Anyway, if it is a mapping issue, the EPA theory on why VW won't just re-map it away makes a lot of sense -- there must be significant emissions or certification implications to an OEM re-mapping a transmission and VW is obviously gun-shy about those kinds of risks.

26. 09-12-2019 09:45 PM #50
      One thing I want to try one day is a different transmission fluid. Just a tad thicker. Maybe run Amsoil ATF fluid for these instead of the VW version. Or even run the Toyota World Standard ATF oil. Those are compatible with the Aisin 8 speeds in Toyota and BMW (X1, X3) and others that use the FWD based 8 speed Aisin.

Whos at 40k miles already? Lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast