VWVortex.com - Sunroof installation
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Sunroof installation

1. 04-15-2019 04:34 AM #1
      I'm restoring a gtx 16v and i want to put in an original sunroof.
      I have a tilt and slide sunroof from a mk2 gti.
      Could anyone help me with the exact measurements?
      So i can place the sunroof in the factory location.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G960F met Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      81 S, 84 GTI, 86 16V, 92 Cabby
      04-15-2019 08:21 AM #2
      The rear lip is 28 5/8" from the rear lip of the roof (that's the sharpest landmark to measure from IMO). Everything else would build on that.

Since the donor is not a Mk2 Scirocco, you won't be able to transplant the entire roof skin. You'll have to weld in the skin surrounding the sunroof as a sort of "patch", and the likelihood of achieving that without warps and a bunch of Bondo seems remote to me. If you are an expert welder, you might be fine, but if not...

Also, there's no guarantee that the curvature of the GTI sunroof matches the curvature of the Scirocco roof skin, hopefully it's close enough.

I wish I'd known about this when we were building the Stepchild, I would have traded shells with you
      It's hard for me to know exactly what these things cost me. I'm guessing a LOT, but I like them, so that's that.

4. 04-15-2019 04:21 PM #3
      Im in the Netherlands so trading would be quite costly.
      Plan is to weld in only the edge of the sunroof and then attach the part underneath the roofskin.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 04-15-2019 09:01 PM #4
      So you actually WANT to put the monstrosity of a sunroof in your car and you have a coupe without it?

I'd pay LITERALLY (and I might do this actually) a thousand dollars to NOT have a sunroof.

I'm no sunroof expert, but I've had this thing out and in and out and in about 5 times now and the friggin thing still doesn't work correctly.

The plastic front guide broke... had to glue it. The plastic wind deflector hold broke... had to glue it. The metal guide tabs broke off of the damn guides completely... got new (rather expensive) stainless guides.

There are no new parts for this roof that I could find.

No new cables, no new rear position tabs or rear position bracket, no new gears. Like everything else on the Scirocco no one makes any parts for it. If you're LUCKY you might find a GTI part that is similar and could work since people seem to make parts for that car.

If I were you and you REAAAAAALY wanted a sunroof (God I have no idea why) I would get a sunroof from a NEW Scirocco... or even a GTI... or pretty much ANY other car that you can get parts for.

Otherwise you're going to spend all this effort to put in a mechanism that I would imagine at best (when new) is finicky as hell and at worst (which is now BTW) has parts on it that are 30 years old, cracked, worn out, and broken with no possibility of new replacement.

Yeah you can buy used parts but you're going to be in the same place as you started... a 30-year-old part that will fail sooner rather than later.

Just my .02 of course I'm a bit biased right now since I just pulled everything out AGAIN on this stupid &^*(*&^ sunroof, and it still doesn't work.
      ------

OH I forgot... you also get the added bonus of it leaking if it rains too hard... so you have that to look forward to when you put it in.... sigh.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      (2) 2005 Acura TLs. 1987 Corvette, 1987 16v Scirocco 1978 Lancia Beta Sedan, 1999 Chevy Tahoe
      04-16-2019 06:33 AM #5
      I feel for you Lmatk. I am not a fan either of the sunroofs and never really was. Same for convertibles. Especially as I’m older and there isn’t much hair left on my head to fly around in the wind ugh. Hope you sort it out at least to the point that it just functions. Good luck. Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Member
      Vehicles
      81 S, 84 GTI, 86 16V, 92 Cabby
      04-16-2019 08:18 AM #6
      I could not have said it better. We have two 16Vs with working sunroofs but we wish we didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Imatk View Post
      So you actually WANT to put the monstrosity of a sunroof in your car and you have a coupe without it?

I'd pay LITERALLY (and I might do this actually) a thousand dollars to NOT have a sunroof.

There are no new parts for this roof that I could find.

No new cables, no new rear position tabs or rear position bracket, no new gears. Like everything else on the Scirocco no one makes any parts for it. If you're LUCKY you might find a GTI part that is similar and could work since people seem to make parts for that car.

... you're going to spend all this effort to put in a mechanism that I would imagine at best (when new) is finicky as hell and at worst (which is now BTW) has parts on it that are 30 years old, cracked, worn out, and broken with no possibility of new replacement.

Yeah you can buy used parts but you're going to be in the same place as you started... a 30-year-old part that will fail sooner rather than later.

OH I forgot... you also get the added bonus of it leaking if it rains too hard... so you have that to look forward to when you put it in.... sigh.
      It's hard for me to know exactly what these things cost me. I'm guessing a LOT, but I like them, so that's that.

9. 04-16-2019 10:35 AM #7
      I gave up mid install last night after the fabric cover got wedged somehow underneath the rails and wouldn't budge forward... of course it budged finally and I smacked the hell out of my thumb against who knows what.

So with a bleeding thumb and a lot of cursing I was out for the evening.

I'll go back again tonight and see if I can at least get the lid back on so I can drive it.

At this point I'm out the 200 bucks for the brackets which is really annoying... since I don't think it's going to work anyway.

So I basically paid 200 bucks to have the same non-functioning sunroof I had before.

Hey OP if you want some brand new stainless brackets let me know

10. Member
      Vehicles
      4 VWs, 1 Buick, 1 Ford & 1 Jag
      Yesterday 12:02 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Imatk View Post
      Otherwise you're going to spend all this effort to put in a mechanism that I would imagine at best (when new) is finicky as hell and at worst (which is now BTW) has parts on it that are 30 years old, cracked, worn out, and broken with no possibility of new replacement.

Mine has never been finicky but I never opened it to show off, just if I wanted to see up above me. It never leaked either and my Scirocco is no stranger to rain. It was my daily driver the first 4 years of its life.

I have never cleaned the drains because I never let them collect debris.

I do plan to buy the billet guides from Tech-53 just because plastic gets brittle from age.

I would take a break and then go back to fiddling with it. I would imagine it's like working on an old VCR. You think you have it all put together right but it just is a little "off" and refuses to work or eats a tape. If you have a manual you are ahead of the game.

Here are the parts that VW Classic makes for it. No, not all the parts you mentioned but VW Classic makes more formerly NLA stuff all the time. As you can see, other VWs use a lot of the same parts:

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts...?cp_baujahr=98
      Last edited by 53PL-50AAA-VW611BAN; Yesterday at 12:50 AM.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      4 VWs, 1 Buick, 1 Ford & 1 Jag
      Yesterday 12:15 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by mk2rocc View Post
      I'm restoring a gtx 16v and i want to put in an original sunroof.
      I have a tilt and slide sunroof from a mk2 gti.
      Could anyone help me with the exact measurements?
      So i can place the sunroof in the factory location.

Did you check the curvature of the Golf Sunroof?

I ask because I just found this on VW Classic and it doesn't show it as fitting any Scirocco:

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts...el-71b6f9.html

I don't know if its the wrong shape or if it's a different size but I would remove the metal part and see if it seems the same or if it's too flat or too curved. You might need to cut and trim the whole area the sunroof slides under and somehow make that match the Scirocco roof.

12. Yesterday 12:12 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by 53PL-50AAA-VW611BAN View Post
      Mine has never been finicky but I never opened it to show off, just if I wanted to see up above me. It never leaked either and my Scirocco is no stranger to rain. It was my daily driver the first 4 years of its life.

I have never cleaned the drains because I never let them collect debris.

I do plan to buy the billet guides from Tech-53 just because plastic gets brittle from age.

I would take a break and then go back to fiddling with it. I would imagine it's like working on an old VCR. You think you have it all put together right but it just is a little "off" and refuses to work or eats a tape. If you have a manual you are ahead of the game.

Here are the parts that VW Classic makes for it. No, not all the parts you mentioned but VW Classic makes more formerly NLA stuff all the time. As you can see, other VWs use a lot of the same parts:

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts...?cp_baujahr=98
      Your link came up with "404 Not found"

Glad your roof works so well... from my experience that's a rarity.

Also those guides replace metal not plastic, they are the skates your roof slides on. The actual metal tabs break.

The plastic parts are a whole other animal.
      Last edited by Imatk; Yesterday at 12:15 PM.