Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCF - Educate me

1. 04-15-2019 03:21 PM #1
      Nice looking car, not M4 drivers level but appears to be a great highway cruiser.

What's the reliability?
      What are the downsides?

These things are a pretty decent deal when found used and are definitely a consideration currently.
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      Makes me proud to be an American in some perverse way. **** your terrorist, I've a honey boo boo outside.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

04-15-2019 03:28 PM #2
      They're as reliable as any other modern Lexus. I wouldn't call it a highway cruiser though. It's not quiet and the ride isn't particularly cushy but overall I like them. Styling is too extreme for me to consider purchasing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      '13 Optima SX-L, '11 MKX, '06 ER-6N
      04-15-2019 03:34 PM #3
      Why not a GS-F? Only 70lb heavier, probably drives 99% the same, but is 5x more practical. I guess it depends what you want/why you like the RC-F. I think the RC looks better than the GS but it's not small or light enough to warrant the worse usability.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Subaru Outback & 2017 Subaru Outback
      04-15-2019 03:34 PM #4
      I think these look fantastic but I had no idea they make a Track Edition.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Cayman - GT Silver - PDK/PSE/Sport Chrono
      04-15-2019 03:40 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Why not a GS-F? Only 70lb heavier, probably drives 99% the same, but is 5x more practical. I guess it depends what you want/why you like the RC-F. I think the RC looks better than the GS but it's not small or light enough to warrant the worse usability.
      I think the GS-F looks terrible in the front-end compared to the RC-F. Taking an already bold statement that is borderline good in the RC-F and smooshing it and stretching it in the sedan form. The proportions in the grill are all wrong - and it juts out like an underbite in the middle of it...

My boss had an RC350 F (not quite apples to apples, but close). He was very happy with it and took it on plenty of trips.
      Ride is noticeably harsher than a normal Lexus "cruiser" (stiffer suspension + low profiles). Reliability will be good like all Lexus'.
      No idea what fuel economy is like - probably not amazing for a heavier V8.
      ASP.NET / C# Software Engineer

2017 718 Cayman - GT Silver - PDK/Sport Chrono/PSE
      2016 Golf R 6MT - Deep Black Pearl - SOLD!

7. Member
      Vehicles
      04-15-2019 03:45 PM #6
      I agree that the RC-F looks better. But not good enough to basically be a 2 seater.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 GTI, '18 F22, '13 E88, etc.
      04-15-2019 03:49 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      But not good enough to basically be a 2 seater.
      Depends on if you care. I've got a two-seater coming on purpose.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      Fancy Accord, 'Reliable' Family Truckster, Plug-in Bulldog
      04-15-2019 04:07 PM #8
      On paper there's a lot out there that performs better with the same badge cachet, or has the same perf but "worse" badge etc.

In the real world, they're well built, reliable sporty GTs that should hold their value pretty well. great sounding NA V8. I was down on them when they first came out, but now I'd have a hard time picking up a european competitor if I didn't need a man pedal. Guy I work with has one and I always find myself admiring it in the parking lot.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Lincoln MKZ AWD
      04-15-2019 04:23 PM #9
      A used one for 50% off seems like an amazing value in a GT car. I want one.

11. 04-15-2019 07:25 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
      A used one for 50% off seems like an amazing value in a GT car. I want one.
      That's what has me interested in them.

They're easily in the mid 40s for a 14/15 with lease mileage on them. They'll seat 4 in a pinch. they look good, not great, just good, and they have some performance chops.

More I think about what I want, it's a reliable GT with some performance chops.

I'd kill for a 3rd pedal, but there's really nothing out there in 2dr cpe form as a GT with a 3rd pedal that's something i'd feel comfortable putting 100k miles on and not having to do any crazy maintenance to.
      Makes me proud to be an American in some perverse way. **** your terrorist, I've a honey boo boo outside.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 CTS-V Wagon 6MT
      04-15-2019 07:36 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Nourdmrolnmt View Post
      That's what has me interested in them.

They're easily in the mid 40s for a 14/15 with lease mileage on them. They'll seat 4 in a pinch. they look good, not great, just good, and they have some performance chops.

More I think about what I want, it's a reliable GT with some performance chops.

I'd kill for a 3rd pedal, but there's really nothing out there in 2dr cpe form as a GT with a 3rd pedal that's something i'd feel comfortable putting 100k miles on and not having to do any crazy maintenance to.
      B8.5 RS5. Solid, high revs, nice interiors, priced right around 40k

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
      2012 CTS-V Wagon 6MT w/ Recaro package - Stock. For now....
      2012 C63 AMG - P31/Eurocharged V5/Loaded option car -SOLD
      2011 Audi S4 6MT- Heavily modded -SOLD
      Co-Founder Momentum Nutrition LLC
      momentum-nutrition.com

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R, 2017 Miata RF
      04-15-2019 09:50 PM #12
      Fantastic cars. I'm personally going GS-F for my wife, but the RC-F is wonderful. It is a great blend of luxury and performance. The car is quiet in Eco mode, but gets really loud in Sport and Sport+ when the extra induction flap opens up. Rear leg room isn't great, but it's no worse than the ATS, IS-F or XE. Headroom is better than most cars in the class if you do not get the moon roof due to no choptop design or ridiculous rake in the rear.

There really are no reliability issues other than the leather creasing and the Lexus infotainment system being awful. If you buy one, I would retrofit AA/CarPlay ASAP. Also, the TVD is insanely expensive to purchase if it fails ($10,000+).

Edit: Also, no to the RS5. I'm sorry, but documented oil burning issues, sensor failures, electronic niggles, window regulator issues, DCT maintenance and carbon build-up problems equals a hard no to me. Just get the car that's RWD and built to a higher standard. Also, that interior is yawn inducing. It reminds me of my Golf R.
      Last edited by unhappymeal; 04-15-2019 at 10:03 PM.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 CTS-V Wagon 6MT
      04-15-2019 10:11 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by unhappymeal View Post
      Fantastic cars. I'm personally going GS-F for my wife, but the RC-F is wonderful. It is a great blend of luxury and performance. The car is quiet in Eco mode, but gets really loud in Sport and Sport+ when the extra induction flap opens up. Rear leg room isn't great, but it's no worse than the ATS, IS-F or XE. Headroom is better than most cars in the class if you do not get the moon roof due to no choptop design or ridiculous rake in the rear.

There really are no reliability issues other than the leather creasing and the Lexus infotainment system being awful. If you buy one, I would retrofit AA/CarPlay ASAP. Also, the TVD is insanely expensive to purchase if it fails ($10,000+).

Edit: Also, no to the RS5. I'm sorry, but documented oil burning issues, sensor failures, electronic niggles, window regulator issues, DCT maintenance and carbon build-up problems equals a hard no to me. Just get the car that's RWD and built to a higher standard. Also, that interior is yawn inducing. It reminds me of my Golf R.
      Where are these oil burning issues? I own one and itll burn a quart in 5k miles of abuse which is about standard.

No electronic problems on mine nor have I seen many on forums.

DSG service is not cheap this is true.

2012 CTS-V Wagon 6MT w/ Recaro package - Stock. For now....
      2012 C63 AMG - P31/Eurocharged V5/Loaded option car -SOLD
      2011 Audi S4 6MT- Heavily modded -SOLD
      Co-Founder Momentum Nutrition LLC
      momentum-nutrition.com

Vehicles
      17 GTI Sport
      04-15-2019 10:26 PM #14
      GS-Fs have been on my bargain radar for a while now, and given I'm a sucker for fast four-doors, I haven't looked into the RC-Fs too much until now. But WOW - yeah these are a bargain. I think I could get over the looks to have a big, comfy, Japanese-reliable, fast V8 coupe for the same price as a new loaded Mustang GT.
      Current | Mk7 GTI
      History | C7 Z51 | GT86 | 987.1 | S197 | 987.1 | W126 | EM1 | GVR4

Vehicles
      12' CTS-V
      04-15-2019 11:01 PM #15
      It sounded freakin' awesome at Long Beach last year.
      That's the only opinion I have.
      I love the car.
      The past vehicles.
      93' Camaro-Sold, 87' Cabriolet-Sold, 87' Scirocco 16v-Sold, 85' Scirocco 8v-dead, 13' Jetta-dead, 87' Scirocco 16v-dead ,99' Acura TL-Sold, 80' Scirocco, DERPKOTA!, 13' WRX
      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      Hell, you know those ancient cave paintings in France? I betcha those animals were really half the size that the hack scribbler drew.

Vehicles
      Various POSes in good mechanical condition
      04-16-2019 12:47 AM #16
      I went on a hard drive with one that had headers and a Borla exhaust. It wasn't amazing in the corners but sounded really, really good.
      "No manual, no care."

Quote Originally Posted by davewg View Post
      It wasn't just about the top of the dash. Or stroking it. It was just the overall feel inside the cabin. Everything was fine until you looked at the dashboard.

04-16-2019 01:01 AM #17
      I like that this color is available.

2018 Fiat 500e eSport - Pompei Silver
      2008 Audi TT Coupe 3.2 VR6 Quattro 6MT - Ibis White

19. Member
      Vehicles
      04-16-2019 07:32 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by ENV² View Post
      B8.5 RS5. Solid, high revs, nice interiors, priced right around 40k

I can't think of one thing the RS5 has on the RC-F outside of its badge and looks (if that matters to someone)

04-16-2019 08:00 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene View Post
      I think the GS-F looks terrible in the front-end compared to the RC-F. Taking an already bold statement that is borderline good in the RC-F and smooshing it and stretching it in the sedan form. The proportions in the grill are all wrong - and it juts out like an underbite in the middle of it...

I personally was always more partial to the GS-F. I see what you mean, and the first time I saw it, I was also not immediately sold on it. But over time it grew on me. It fits the style and character of the car. The exterior of the car is elegant and stately. It would be a good sleek anonymous black car for some kind of discrete services, or some other. I was personally considering a GS, mainly because that interior is nearly unparalleled... but the rear seats not folding down killed it for me.

As far as the RC goes, what I don't like is how the headlights somehow have this vertical segment (at the inner "bulb") halfway down to the DRL's. It ruins the line of the front end IMHO.
      Current: 2019 BMW X3
      Past: 2015 Lexus CT200h, 2008 Mazda MX-5, 2006 Opel Vectra, 1999 Renault Safrane, 1998 Golf Mk IV, 1985 Golf Mk II
      Gasoline | Hybrid | Diesel

Vehicles
      A Fancy Nissan
      04-16-2019 09:47 AM #20
      I think the GS-F and RC-F are both underrated vehicles. I see probably 3-5 M cars for every F car, which I prefer not seeing my vehicle everywhere I turn.

I'd go for it, in fact pending the state of the market in two years when my lease is up these cars are on the short list.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Current: 18' Infiniti Q50 Red Sport
      Prior Vehicles: 13' E92 335i M-Sport l 04' E46 330ci SMG l 04' MKIV GLI 1.8t 6spd

22. 04-16-2019 11:01 AM #21
      It appears there are not Track Package RC-Fs on the usual sites. Track Package gets you the TVD.

I’m really trying to find out what’s most important on this car.

Also, how do you retrofit AA/CarPlay to them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. Member
      Vehicles
      04-16-2019 11:10 AM #22
      It appears there are not Track Package RC-Fs on the usual sites. Track Package gets you the TVD.

CarPlay retrofit: http://www.beatsonicusa.com/blog/?p=48

The Performance Package gets you a carbon fibre roof (no moon roof) and the TVD. Car and Driver finds it's faster and requires less steering angle in the slalom with the TVD. The flip side is it's a $10,000+ part to replace if it fails and some prefer the Torsen because it makes the car more tail happy.

The Track Package is new and gets you more carbon fibre body panels, new forged wheels and a titanium exhaust.
      Last edited by unhappymeal; 04-16-2019 at 11:31 AM.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      Fancy Accord, 'Reliable' Family Truckster, Plug-in Bulldog
      04-16-2019 11:21 AM #23

Track pack is also a relatively new thing right? like maybe this MY or the previous?

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Lincoln MKZ AWD
      04-16-2019 11:22 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Zembla View Post
      I was personally considering a GS, mainly because that interior is nearly unparalleled... but the rear seats not folding down killed it for me.
      I keep forgetting that Lexus did that. I guess I'd only be interested in the RC350, not the RC-F. Sad!

26. Member
      Vehicles
      04-16-2019 11:30 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by zmt2 View Post
      Track pack is also a relatively new thing right? like maybe this MY or the previous?
      Sorry, there was a typo on my end. I meant to say the Performance Package gets you the TVD. I am not sure about US configurations, but it was always available. In Canada it was like this:

2015 (launch year): Base model (standard: Torsen LSD, Mark Levinson, Moon roof), TVD (optional: $7,000), Carbon Fibre package (optional: delete moon roof, $5,000), Forged Wheels (optional: $3,000)
      2016 - 2019: Base (standard: Torsen LSD, Mark Levinson, Moon roof), Performance Package (optional: includes TVD, forged wheels and carbon fibre package, delete moon roof, $7,700)
      2020: Base (standard: Torsen LSD, Moon roof), Performance Package (optional: includes Mark Levinson, TVD, forged wheels and carbon fibre package, delete moon roof, $11,000), Track Edition (optional: includes Torsen LSD, carbon ceramic brakes, aero kit, carbon fibre package, exclusive carbon fibre hood, titanium exhaust and forged wheels, delete moon roof, $34,950)

If you are not finding models with the TVD, it means most buyers either wanted the moon roof or didn't want to pony-up another $8k for the performance options.
      Last edited by unhappymeal; 04-16-2019 at 11:32 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast