Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: New Track Pad

Vehicles
      04 R32//05 TReg V8 sold//06 A3 2.0T//2012 F150 Eco
      04-15-2019 05:23 PM #1
      Only ever used XP10's - no real complaints other than the noise, feel like 90% of the other cars don't produce as much squeal as I do.

Curious if there are any recommendations that have worked well for people that maybe don't scream as much? Honestly I'm fine with it because I don't drive them on the street, but also don't know if there is a better option out there.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 VW R32
      04-15-2019 05:55 PM #2
      My car had ECS yellows up front when I bought it. 75% life left. Rear pads were unknown no names that were about cashed. I replaced them with yellows. So far (street use) I am happy. Will hopefully have an autocross session within the month. No complaints and when I was bedding them I feel like they stopped very well from 60.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

4. Administrator David@vwvortex's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '04 R32/83 Rabbit GTI/13.5 Jetta GLI
      04-15-2019 06:38 PM #3
      For only track? Hawk DTC's I've been using for awhile now. Track only though. They scream when cold, but they are track pads so I don't even listen. I'm slowly trying G-Loc brakes out. I did a trackcross season and did pretty well. They are high torque pads(one I used) so I like that grab and bite.

Problem I had w/the DTC's is they burn bright.. meaning they are great pads, but don't expect a ton of life out of them. End of the day.. that's a track pad for you so I don't fault Hawk.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      04 R32//05 TReg V8 sold//06 A3 2.0T//2012 F150 Eco
      04-16-2019 08:50 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Sturrrt View Post
      My car had ECS yellows up front when I bought it. 75% life left. Rear pads were unknown no names that were about cashed. I replaced them with yellows. So far (street use) I am happy. Will hopefully have an autocross session within the month. No complaints and when I was bedding them I feel like they stopped very well from 60.

Be curious how those yellows do with track abuse. My only experience with the ECS pads was back in college when I was sick of cleaning my wheels all the time. Went with whatever their low dust compound is (green?) was not happy with them at all, felt borderline unsafe to me honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      For only track? Hawk DTC's I've been using for awhile now. Track only though. They scream when cold, but they are track pads so I don't even listen. I'm slowly trying G-Loc brakes out. I did a trackcross season and did pretty well. They are high torque pads(one I used) so I like that grab and bite.

Problem I had w/the DTC's is they burn bright.. meaning they are great pads, but don't expect a ton of life out of them. End of the day.. that's a track pad for you so I don't fault Hawk.
      Interesting on the DTC's. I use HPS for street and have been happy with them, someone recommended the HP+ for track but that is barely a step up from the HPS so I wasn't really considering Hawk. Which DTC are you using? How many events do you typically get out of them?

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 VW R32
      04-16-2019 09:30 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Kstyle View Post
      Be curious how those yellows do with track abuse. My only experience with the ECS pads was back in college when I was sick of cleaning my wheels all the time. Went with whatever their low dust compound is (green?) was not happy with them at all, felt borderline unsafe to me honestly.
      Like I said, the fronts already had yellows and I did 2 auto cross and 4 rally cross I think. They seemed pretty good? And matching the rears I would think only makes them better

8. 04-16-2019 09:42 AM #6
      my XP10s got significantly quieter after putting some Permatex brake glue (can't remember the name) between the pads and caliper

I remember it being purple. I think its this

Vehicles
      MKIV Supercharged R32, MKI Atlas SEL 4Motion
      04-16-2019 04:43 PM #7
      I've done a few track days and really like Ferodo pads. Pretty quite for an aggressive track pad.

https://www.ferodoracing.com/product...e-pads/ds2500/
      You just gotta keep livin' man........L-I-V-I-N

10. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Corrado SLC/2010 JSW TDI/2002 Jetta 1.8t
      04-16-2019 08:14 PM #8

Interesting on the DTC's. I use HPS for street and have been happy with them, someone recommended the HP+ for track but that is barely a step up from the HPS so I wasn't really considering Hawk. Which DTC are you using? How many events do you typically get out of them?
      I have Hawk HPS for street as well, and was using HP+ for track. HP+ is a noticeable step up from HPS. Only noisy when cold, as with most aggressive pads makes a mess on wheels. Last year switched to G-Loc. Definitely step up from Hawk. Better bite, no fade even when used real hard. G12s are noisy when cold but they offer some slightly less aggressive pads that are quieter.

11. Administrator David@vwvortex's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '04 R32/83 Rabbit GTI/13.5 Jetta GLI
      04-16-2019 09:01 PM #9

Maybe 4 days or so(2 track events). Yellows I have as a back-up, but those aren't that great from what I've seen(REALLY bad wear).

I don't care about the dust for the track. I have the new Hawk Ceramic 5.0 pads on my GLI with Golf R brakes. Did one day for giggles in the GLI and they held up well.. the GLI not so much, but it's also not really a track car.