VWVortex.com - Need Recommendations on a local shop who can help with my RUST issue.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Need Recommendations on a local shop who can help with my RUST issue.

1. 04-19-2019 01:48 PM #1
      Thanks! I have resolved my issue.
      Last edited by Weattleguy1; 07-01-2019 at 06:04 AM. Reason: resolved issue

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      44 cylinders, 19.9 liters
      04-19-2019 02:38 PM #2
      Depends on your wallets' tolerance to get it all handled. As you likely know rust and corrosion issues aren't really a problem here in our area. When cars come in to my shop and even look half as bad as this I let my clients know that this can be a serious issue and to see it through can be a test of patience and investment. I'd say the easiest solution if to find a donor car and get to swapping all the good stuff.
      "For the sake of making this easier, let's just agree that I know everything and am correct."

2016 security breach victim #129,248. Formerly karlorado
      IG @chipan_dougleville

4. 04-20-2019 12:24 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by 7GIRLS3CUPS View Post
      Depends on your wallets' tolerance to get it all handled. As you likely know rust and corrosion issues aren't really a problem here in our area. When cars come in to my shop and even look half as bad as this I let my clients know that this can be a serious issue and to see it through can be a test of patience and investment. I'd say the easiest solution if to find a donor car and get to swapping all the good stuff.
      I do have a budget of about $3k to get the issues fixed. Do you think this could be more expensive based on what you see here? Unfortunately, swapping out isn't an option. My idea is to try to replace a lot of the really bad parts, and treat the frame and any other salvageable pieces with undercoating to prevent further corrosion. What do you think of this plan?

Do you by chance know of any shops that might be willing to help me? I have spoken to a couple of shops and they've all said they just don't have the time to take on a project like this.

Thanks for the response.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      44 cylinders, 19.9 liters
      04-22-2019 11:14 AM #4
      With a budget of $3k you are in solid DIY territory just for what you've shown in pictures, having a competent shop fix everything correctly I'd imagine you'd total somewhere around 6,500-7,000. This issue with rust and corrosion, as I'm sure you're aware, is that you just can't cover it up and it stops that stuff is cancer and has to be fully removed before being treated. Forget about POR15 or other 'rust converters' it's a waste of time and on something as valuable as an R32 you need that work to be spot-on so it doesn't come back to bite you later.
      "For the sake of making this easier, let's just agree that I know everything and am correct."

2016 security breach victim #129,248. Formerly karlorado
      IG @chipan_dougleville

7. 06-03-2019 07:52 PM #5
      Meh. Seen a whole lot worse. First off you need to get the embedded salt out of the rusted areas. Best way to do that if you can is to steam clean the entire bottom of the car. This will help stop the salt from causing any more issues. If the pieces are solid and mostly surface rust. Have them blasted and then powder coated.
      The adjustable arms might be worth buying new. They are more than likely rusted together or the threads are junk. Rust converter or POR15 do just fine. The problem most everyone has is that they don't clean off the worst of the rust that is flaking. POR15 isn't meant to go over clean metal that's not what it's for. Rust converter is just that it converts the rust but again it needs to be done exactly as instructed. Up till a few years ago when we didn't use salt those two items worked fine. Now that we are using salt I've noticed a up tick in failed applications of these products. Not to hard to deduct the main root of the problem SALT still embedded in the metal.