New C7 or old C7, pick your poison!

• $35k 2014 3LT Z51

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • $45k 2019 1LT stingray

Votes: 28 60.9%

The C7 conundrum, which would TCL buy?

5K views 63 replies 39 participants last post by  Cabin Pics 
#1 · (Edited)
So I've been thinking about a place to sink some money while I wait for the truly tasty mid model deals on a JLU, and in doing so, I ended up taking a look at the used C7 corvette market (as I am wont to do). I noticed two things:

1.) nicely equipped, 3LT Z51 cars are out there with ~60k miles for $35k. Woo!

2.) NEW 1LT cars can be had for about 13k more, maybe even less with some extra negotiatin' :eek:

So, as they say in here, or as one guy says at least, what WOOD you do? pocket the 10k and get more goodies, but at the cost of 5ish years and 60k miles, or go with the brand new bare bones model?

vs

(yeah, I know much like the mario twins, "they look the same")

edit: typo'd my poll options, so... pretend I put the right price

See less See more
#5 ·
This was helpful to me since I get confused between trims and packages:

Corvette Stingray (Base)

Stingray 1LT Coupe (Base)
– 6.2L V8 Engine (455hp & 460lb-ft torque)
– Rear Wheel Drive
– Dual Exhaust w/3-Inch Polished
– Z51-Style 5-Split Spoke Aluminum Wheels (Front – 19”x 8.5”) (Rear – 20” x 10”)
– Carbon-Fiber Removable Rood Panel
– High-Intensity Discharge Headlamps (HID)
– Chevrolet MyLink 8-Inch Touchscreen w/BOSE 9-Speaker Audio System
– GT Bucket Seats w/Mulan leather seating surfaces
– Driver Information Centre w/reconfigurable 8-inch colour display
– Dual-Zone automatic climate control
– Power tilt/telescope steering wheel
– Keyless open & start
– Body-colour removable carbon fiber roof panel
– Drive mode selector w/five modes
– Bluetooth, OnStar & OnStar 4G LTE w/built-in WiFi
– 4-wheel ventilated braked w/ABS & panic brake assist

Stingray 2LT Coupe (Everything included in 1LT, plus…)
– Heated & ventilated seats
– Power seats w/power bolsters & lumbar support
– 2LT seat trim, console, armrests & instrument panel trim
– Heads-up display
– Curb view front camera
– BOSE 10 speaker audio system
– Heated, power outside mirrors
– Memory package for 8-way seats & steering wheel
– Universal Home Remote
– Frameless inside mirror
– Theft deterrent system

Stingray 3LT Coupe (Everything included in 1LT, plus…)
– Upgraded MyLink touchscreen display w/NAVigation, Apple CarPlay & Android Auto
– Performance Data Recorder
– 3LT trim, seats, console, door armrests & instrument panel
– Perforated Nappa Leather seats
– Custom leather-wrapped interior package w/leather-wrapped upper instrument panel,
door trim, and console storage cover
– Sueded Microfiber-Wrapped upper interior package w/headliners, visors, trim above windshield,
rear window, A-pillar trim & area around quarter window
———————————–
Corvette Z51

Stingray 1LT Z51 Coupe (Everything included in Stingray, plus…)
– 19-inch front & 20-inch rear wheels w/Michelin Pilot Sport ZP tires
– Performance brakes (up from 12.6 inches to 13.6 inches)
– Slotted rotors w/black-painted calipers
– Dry sump oil system
– Unique suspension, shocks, springs & stabilizer bar
– Performance exhaust w/4-inch tips (brings power up to 460hp)
– Performance gear ratios
– Electronic limited slip differential
– Rear differential cooler, transmission cooling & Aero package

Stingray 2LT Z51 Coupe
(Same as 2LT package on base Stingray)

Stingray 3LT Z51 Coupe
(Same as 3LT package on base Stingray)

#13 ·
as the owner of a non-Z51 C7, i'm curious why so many people think the Z51 package is a must. I can only see thinking of that as a requirement if regular track events were on the radar.

i've owned many other cars that i think enthusiasts would approve of (WRX, Miata, SS, Cooper S) and obviously my base C7 is miles ahead of any of those.

i ended up with a low mileage 1LT with warranty remaining for $37k. the only options i found myself wanting were the performance exhaust (went aftermarket instead) and the front camera (i back into spots more often). I added the front splitter but kind of enjoy the cleaner look without the large rear spoiler.

#19 ·
Just know this about a Z06 LS7 valve issues. I'm not sure if it was addressed/fixed/updated by the time the Z/28 came out though, but then again we're not talking about Camaros...just trying to be helpful here.

#35 ·
Just know this about a Z06 LS7 valve issues. I'm not sure if it was addressed/fixed/updated by the time the Z/28 came out though, but then again we're not talking about Camaros...just trying to be helpful here.
The LS7 valve issue was never fixed from GM.
Whether its a Z06 or 427 or Z/28, the heads need to be fixed.

With that said I almost jumped on a Z/28 for 38k but found it too late as it had sold. The LS7 is a monster of a motor. With the right cam and headwork they can put down 550-600whp sound plenty pissed off at idle:thumbup:

But I agree that the C7 is leaps and bounds better than the C6 in refinement. So if you are going to live with it everyday the C7 is the better choice.
My coworker bought a base C7 in 2014 and drives it all the time. Even the base car is a hoot to drive on the street and 35k is pretty damn good for a car like this.

#23 ·
The Pedantic Lounge. Weird thing is I misspelled conundrum and I guess it autocorrected to that, which... really? I was dealing with the kiddos so I didn't double check. OR maybe I WANTED to talk about aluminum oxide!

To clear things up, this would be a holdover purchase until JLUs get cheaper, at which time it would be swapped out for said jeep. I wouldn't be buying both. I've never owned a V8 and the best wrapper for said engine is a 'vette IMO. $45k is my ceiling and the more I think about it, I'd lose ~$3k in taxes on that purchase, and I doubt the new car would appreciate.

a mid-mile C6Z that hasn't had the head work done yet is probably the best financial bet, then remove the heads and send them to a local shop to be bulletproofed. If I bought well I could probably come out ahead, or at least not lose too much with taxes and reg. I need to find a deal on a Z like that one canadian TCLer did. Problem is I just like the C7 more =/

Also, where are the deals on new stock 2017s? I haven't seen any but I might be looking in the wrong place.

#25 ·
TBH for that difference I wouldn't consider anything but a new one. 60k miles might be nothing on a Camry, but it's a bit for a sports car.

If the new ones went for sticker it'd be another story, but dealers are struggling to move the new ones with the mid-engine coming out and that's an opportunity.

#29 ·
Truth.

This blue 2017 Grand Sport gallery at Car and Driver always makes me drool.

#41 ·

#36 ·
Both of them are great cars for the money.

Now, back to money. If it's my money then I'm buying the Z51.

#39 ·
I'd buy whichever used C7 is the best deal. No reason to eat the depreciation on the new car- they haven't changed all that much since they came out and the magnaride programming changes can be done to the older cars.

I'd get the 2LT or 3LT for the better interior; I'd also get the Z51 for the better suspension and the eLSD.

If you're really going to track the car, you'll need better brakes, mod the dry sump with a bigger tank and when that's not enough, think about coilovers and aero, in that order. Better suspension dampers make a big difference although the magnaride dampers are pretty decent for stock.

#40 ·
Nice conundrum! What a fun post.

I would say... get the used Z51. But I recommend you try to split the difference and splurge for a used Grand Sport! Pops had a C6 Grand Sport. It's such a pretty car, added enough over the base car to justify the price tag and on that generation, the colors you could get were phenomenal. He had Jetstream Blue. Really pretty. I can only imagine how much faster and nicer the C7 would be.

The way I see it a new C7 is only buying you 'peace of mind' that he hasn't been trashed. But these are Corvettes, c'mon, they can take 99% the beatings any owner is going to give them, and 99% of those owners aren't going to rile them up at all. So I think it's a moot point. Save the money, you're relying on the car to NOT depreciate that much, that new base C7 is going to be worth $35k the moment you drive it off the lot - why pay the dealership for the privilege.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.