VWVortex.com - Hill Start Assist disable on 2019 GLI 35?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hill Start Assist disable on 2019 GLI 35?

1. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2019 VW GLI 35 (Canada) | Pyrite Silver
      04-28-2019 01:16 AM #1
      Does anyone have some insight on how to disable the Hill Start Assist on the 2019 GLI? I have found it quite annoying as it is slow to disengage on hill starts. Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Honda Civic SI(gone), 2003 A4 1.8T 5MT, 1987 Porsche 944(gone), 2006 VW Passat 3.6 Sport 2 (Dai
      04-28-2019 09:10 AM #2
      I've tried with vcds and have had no luck. It's made me stall a few times.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 VW Jetta S, 2007 BMW R1200R
      04-28-2019 10:12 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by chrisjackd View Post
      I've tried with vcds and have had no luck. It's made me stall a few times.
      I'm also interested here, and feel the same about this "feature." Would you be more specific?

Were you able to connect VCDS to the car? What cable or connector did you use? Once connected, could you access the car's Control Modules?

Did the navigation within the car's computer look the same as it does in this webpage? The webpage describes a Golf Mark VI, a different model and year, but I suspect our Jettas and that Golf have the same sort of hill hold/hill start assist.

Could you navigate to the last page, and uncheck the "Hill Hold" checkbox?

Thanks!
      Last edited by fudgeripple!; 04-28-2019 at 10:48 AM.
      David
      Santa Cruz CA

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Honda Civic SI(gone), 2003 A4 1.8T 5MT, 1987 Porsche 944(gone), 2006 VW Passat 3.6 Sport 2 (Dai
      04-28-2019 12:11 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by fudgeripple! View Post
      I'm also interested here, and feel the same about this "feature." Would you be more specific?

Were you able to connect VCDS to the car? What cable or connector did you use? Once connected, could you access the car's Control Modules?

Did the navigation within the car's computer look the same as it does in this webpage? The webpage describes a Golf Mark VI, a different model and year, but I suspect our Jettas and that Golf have the same sort of hill hold/hill start assist.

Could you navigate to the last page, and uncheck the "Hill Hold" checkbox?

Thanks!
      I was using Hex-Net vcds. The module isn't the same as the mk6. The only option I found was where the threshold could be changed to "early" vs normal or late. I changed mine to early and honestly, not much difference.

Hill hold in other VW/Audi's isn't as aggressive as the mk7 Jetta IMO. It's much more tolerable and doesn't cause me to stall or ride the clutch.

7. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2019 VW GLI 35 (Canada) | Pyrite Silver
      04-28-2019 12:48 PM #5
      This information is quite helpful. Thank you. I may ask the dealership to adjust it to the earlier setting to see if it helps me at all.

Other manufacturers seem to have methods of disabling the HSA... Why VW hasn’t made an effort to be more amenable to drivers wanting an authentic feel baffles me.

Ugh

8. Member
      Vehicles
      04-28-2019 03:50 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by VancityGLI View Post
      This information is quite helpful. Thank you. I may ask the dealership to adjust it to the earlier setting to see if it helps me at all.

Other manufacturers seem to have methods of disabling the HSA... Why VW hasn’t made an effort to be more amenable to drivers wanting an authentic feel baffles me.

Ugh

Let me know if you're able to get your dealer to help. I've asked mine and they immediately shut me down.

I've got 4 dealerships to choose from so I'll gladly spend my money elsewhere.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      04-28-2019 08:41 PM #7
      chrisjackd, thanks for the greater detail. I'm sorry our cars don't have the same easy-to-defeat hill hold as on the earlier ones.

My dealer was unresponsive when I asked about a much less serious matter — the automatic door locking at 10 mph, noisy and unnecessary IMO. I expect them to take the same "No, it's a safety feature" with the hill hold.

There's a pretty good indy shop locally. If I get frustrated enough with this I'll go have a talk with them. Perhaps they'll be more amenable than I expect the dealer to be. I'd be willing to pay for some shop time if they think they can make it go away.
      David
      Santa Cruz CA

Vehicles
      19 GLI 35th Canadian
      04-29-2019 02:18 PM #8
      can you disable the auto locking in the car settings on the infotainment? I leave it on as I'm used to it and it doesn't bug me.

As for the auto hill hold, I actually am thankful I have it. I haven't driven manual in 5 years and it's saved me twice! But I also got a very steep hill with a set of lights atop it on my commute to work and I used to ebrake hold that one previously as it is pretty hard to get started on that one.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      04-30-2019 10:35 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Wiredin View Post
      can you disable the auto locking in the car settings on the infotainment? I leave it on as I'm used to it and it doesn't bug me.
      The infotainment screen on my US-spec S doesn't present this option, but Carista does and I used that to turn it off.
      David
      Santa Cruz CA

12. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 GLI 35th
      10-15-2019 08:29 PM #10
      Has anyone gotten any further with this? I've owned my car a week and stalled it more times than I stalled my last car in 2.5 years. Every hill results in either a stall or tire sequel and burnt clutch. I'm regretting the purchase at the moment.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 GLI Autobahn 6MT
      10-15-2019 08:59 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Dj1001 View Post
      Has anyone gotten any further with this? I've owned my car a week and stalled it more times than I stalled my last car in 2.5 years. Every hill results in either a stall or tire sequel and burnt clutch. I'm regretting the purchase at the moment.
      It's a very poor implementation to be sure (and several other threads here discuss at length if you want to search).

I have finally gotten used to it after 3 months. I suggest just being aware of when you are on a hill and then when starting to launch just lightly slipping the clutch until you feel (and even perhaps hear) the hold release, and then continue with your launch. The hold can't be "overpowered" that I have discerned, so the approach that seems to work the best for me is to just wait for it to let go.

14. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 GLI 35th
      10-15-2019 09:09 PM #12
      I was looking at the Carista device and noticed a BETA page for VW MQB vehicles. In the beta features they list "Hill Assist - Enable/Disable"

My carista is on the way and I have sent over the required info to join the beta program.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      10-15-2019 09:11 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Dj1001 View Post
      I was looking at the Carista device and noticed a BETA page for VW MQB vehicles. In the beta features they list "Hill Assist - Enable/Disable"

My carista is on the way and I have sent over the required info to join the beta program.
      Interesting! Please report back if it works. I'd gladly buy Carista again to accomplish this.
      David
      Santa Cruz CA

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '19 35th GLI M6
      10-15-2019 11:18 PM #14
      So I'm willing to be flamed on this one, but I'm thinking this is a collective group that isn't understanding how it works, although I have very limited data on my end as it's quite flat around here. Per the owners manual, there are a few stipulations that need to be met for hill hold to release, one of them being throttle application. It seems to work pretty well for me when I've tried it, but if you left off the brake with the clutch down, if you blip the throttle, hill hold seems to release and the car rolls backwards. I'd like to see others try this and see if it works for them as well.

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 GLI 6-Speed Autobahn Pure Gray
      10-16-2019 08:22 PM #15
      There has been a lot of discussion about this here, and I was about to say what you describe is wrong but then I checked again myself. Here's my observation:

On my driveway which has a very slight incline, hill assist does kick in - if I've got the clutch pedal down and let off the brake, it will hold for 2 seconds, then release.
      1. If I let off the brake and also start to let up the clutch pedal, it will keep holding for 2 seconds.
      2. If I let off the brake and also blip the throttle, it will keep holding for 2 seconds.
      3. If I let off the brake and give it throttle while letting up on the clutch pedal, it will release without holding for 2 seconds (this surprised me).

What's interesting is this is exactly how the parking brake will auto-release - it won't do it on clutch or brake alone but will release with clutch+throttle.

I feel like I've done the same thing on a hill with a greater incline and #3 didn't seem to work - it felt like I still had to wait 2 seconds before it would let me go.

I thought I understood this but now I'm wondering if the amount of incline is also a factor. I did press the brake firmly when checking (as opposed to only applying enough brake pressure to stop from rolling backwards.) Maybe hill assist isn't as "dumb" as we've been thinking, but is tuned to hold too aggressively on greater inclines.

18. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 GLI 35th
      10-16-2019 09:43 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Devore42 View Post
      There has been a lot of discussion about this here, and I was about to say what you describe is wrong but then I checked again myself. Here's my observation:

On my driveway which has a very slight incline, hill assist does kick in - if I've got the clutch pedal down and let off the brake, it will hold for 2 seconds, then release.
      1. If I let off the brake and also start to let up the clutch pedal, it will keep holding for 2 seconds.
      2. If I let off the brake and also blip the throttle, it will keep holding for 2 seconds.
      3. If I let off the brake and give it throttle while letting up on the clutch pedal, it will release without holding for 2 seconds (this surprised me).

What's interesting is this is exactly how the parking brake will auto-release - it won't do it on clutch or brake alone but will release with clutch+throttle.

I feel like I've done the same thing on a hill with a greater incline and #3 didn't seem to work - it felt like I still had to wait 2 seconds before it would let me go.

I thought I understood this but now I'm wondering if the amount of incline is also a factor. I did press the brake firmly when checking (as opposed to only applying enough brake pressure to stop from rolling backwards.) Maybe hill assist isn't as "dumb" as we've been thinking, but is tuned to hold too aggressively on greater inclines.
      I spent about 20 minutes going back and forth in my driveway. I was not once under any circumstance able to get the brake to let the car roll before the ~2.5 second timer expired. I even revved the car to near 4000 and let the clutch out aggressively. This resulted in the engine bogging, then the vehicle lurching forward with some wheelspin and a nice toasty clutch. This one feature has over come all of the positives of the car and leaves me just wishing I had not gotten the Manual.

19. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 GLI 6spd
      10-16-2019 10:40 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Devore42 View Post

On a steep hill and at a red light, I clutch to neutral, lift off the brake until the car rolls back just a bit. I then reapply the brake gently enough to just hold the car, shift to 1'st gear when the light turns green, release the clutch and apply throttle....just like normal. The hill hold does not intrude.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      10-17-2019 11:24 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by 35thGLINoob View Post
      So I'm willing to be flamed on this one, but I'm thinking this is a collective group that isn't understanding how it works, although I have very limited data on my end as it's quite flat around here. Per the owners manual, there are a few stipulations that need to be met for hill hold to release, one of them being throttle application. It seems to work pretty well for me when I've tried it, but if you left off the brake with the clutch down, if you blip the throttle, hill hold seems to release and the car rolls backwards. I'd like to see others try this and see if it works for them as well.
      No flame, but this isn't correct.

If HH engages (it doesn't on very slight slopes), HH will disengage if either of the following conditions occur:

a) It times out. This takes 2 - 3 seconds;

or

b) The car moves forward under power because the driver has engaged the clutch (even partially). My experience is this also requires a bit of throttle.

Adding throttle alone (i.e., no release of the clutch) does not release the HH.

I'm getting better at it, but I still wish it could be disabled.

EDIT: In Post #23 below, LennySmalls suggests that HH is implemented differently in different Jetta models. This seems unlikely to me. If true, however, it may explain why we can't seem to agree on how it works on our cars. Mine is a manual-shift S.
      Last edited by fudgeripple!; 10-18-2019 at 11:01 AM.
      David
      Santa Cruz CA

21. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 GLI 6-Speed Autobahn Pure Gray
      10-17-2019 12:05 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by fudgeripple! View Post
      b) The car moves forward under power because the driver has engaged the clutch (even partially). My experience is this also requires a bit of throttle.
      Yeah - this is how it worked for me when trying it on a very slight incline on my driveway (described above a couple posts up). I was really surprised by this because I don't think hill assist released with throttle/clutch when I tried this on a steeper incline on my daily drive to work. I'm going to check that steeper incline again... right now I'm suspecting it works differently based on the amount of incline.

22. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '19 35th GLI M6
      10-17-2019 08:05 PM #20
      I tried the throttle blip again myself and it didn't work - hill hold stayed engaged. I've without question had it disengage before the timer went up, also without having to overpower anything. It must be a combination of throttle and clutch. Will test out again sometime but the specifications for how it engages as well as disengages are somewhere on the owners manual. I saw it and I do remember throttle application being one of the things to disengage it. The only time I've ever noticed it not disengage is if I only dragged the clutch without giving it throttle as well.

Vehicles
      1999 Passat GLS, 2000 GTI GLX, 2001 BMW 325i, 2010 Golf TDI, 2014 Tiguan S, 2019 Jetta S
      10-18-2019 04:30 AM #21
      In a Youtube review of Jetta S, a VW engineer on the Jetta development team in Germany said the following in the comment section:

Hill hold is standard, holding the car for a couple of seconds - that’s intentional to help starting on steep hills. It’s always on, even on leveled roads, so the driver can rely on it and is never uncertain if it kicked in or not.
      Therefore, if you are not stalling the car on the level ground, but are on an incline, it's because you're not using the throttle and the clutch the same way. In another word, even on an incline, you should get the car moving in the same way as if the car is on level ground.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOWXDVOunRQ and read the comments from Fabian R.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 GLI Autobahn 6MT
      10-18-2019 09:12 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by epc View Post
      In a Youtube review of Jetta S, a VW engineer on the Jetta development team in Germany said the following in the comment section:

...It's always on, even on leveled roads...
      This does not agree with what I have observed, but I'll check it out again. On very gentle slopes, my car will roll (slowly) immediately upon lifting off the brake with no application of throttle or lifting of clutch.

Certainly on a downward grade, the hill hold is most definitely not "on".
      Last edited by rsbaker; 10-18-2019 at 09:20 AM.

25. n00b
      Vehicles
      2019 GLI 35th Edition 6MT
      10-18-2019 10:50 AM #23
      There is a lot of misinformation in this thread or there are different configurations of the software.

I drive a route every day where hill hold is activated every single time at two points. I have spent countless events documenting how it works. My vehicle is absolutely a timed event. No amount of clutch/gas pedal manipulation will deactivate it. Period.

Also, the VW engineer must have worked on some other vehicle or the Jetta S hill hold is very different than the GLI. On the GLI, it is NOT always engaged. I can easily demonstrate this with neutral coasting and clutch-in at stops. The vehicle will not engage hill hold and the car can easily roll after coming to a complete stop. It requires a certain degree of angle to activate (my driveway has a slight angle and it never activates).

I have never owned an automatic car. I've been driving standard transmission vehicles for 30 years. The hill hold is a very poorly implemented feature.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 GLI Autobahn 6MT
      10-18-2019 11:43 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by LennySmalls View Post
      ...I drive a route every day where hill hold is activated every single time at two points. I have spent countless events documenting how it works. My vehicle is absolutely a timed event. No amount of clutch/gas pedal manipulation will deactivate it. Period.

The hill hold is a very poorly implemented feature.
      My car works *exactly* the same way. You wait for the time to elapse. Period. Otherwise your either burn the clutch with an abrupt lurch when the hold finally does release or stall if you apply what would otherwise be a reasonable amount of throttle.

And, I agree.

Perhaps the incline sensor could be disabled as a way turn off the hill hold?
      Last edited by rsbaker; 10-18-2019 at 11:56 AM.

27. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      19 GLI Autobahn 6mt
      10-19-2019 10:29 PM #25
      I have been trying to disable this for awhile. I’ll admit I haven’t put as much effort into as I would like. However if I find a coding string that works I will immediately share it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast