VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Low Beams not working when everything else is.

2K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Trio1.8 
#1 ·
Look, I know that there are a million posts about this topic but i cannot find the answer. I purchased an aftermarket headlight assembly with angel-eye LEDs and HID lowbeam headlights. When i had gotten done with wiring everything together, I turned on the lighting assembly. First the driving lights (the LED angel lights), they worked fine; then I turned on the lowbeams, they worked fine as well.. for maybe 5 seconds. They abruptly turned off so I assumed that a fuse had been blown; I checked all headlight fuses and they were fine. Then i swapped the headlight switch (the big one to the left of the steering wheel) and it didnt fix the lowbeams. I then hooked up a volt meter to the wiring harness of the headlights and individually checked each signal output, the only ones not working were the lowbeams. Now i can only assume that the wiring or switch is compromised. Help me please before i go and spend $150 plus on mechanic who will tell me that a wire is loose.

Ps. I know that the HID bulbs for the lowbeams are not blown because i wired them into the driving lights wires for diagnostic purposes and they worked fine. All of the functions on the assembly work besides the lowbeams.

#2 ·
Update

Was driving home from work tonight (with my highbeams on) when a stopped me at a light to tell me that my brake lights arent working as well. Hmm, i believe that these two must be linked; something is probably preventing the lights from coming on.

#4 ·
I checked at the headlamp connector. I turned on every swtich in the cabin individually and then checked the wiring diagram to see it the wires matched up. (im using a wiring diagram off of the first google photo in this search "wiring harness vw jetta repair 2 index listing of wiring diagrams 1968 vw beetle wiring diagram" ; the diagram matched perfectly) And the blue wire, 2 (LB), is the only wire that does not output voltage when i do turn on the specified switch (the lowbeams) No matter what i do i cannot get power to that wire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.