VWVortex.com - They say Golf is unreliable.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: They say Golf is unreliable.

Vehicles
      19 GSW 4Mo, 6sp.
      04-29-2019 03:08 AM #1
      WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot?

Many I've spoken with exclaimed, VW no way! It is unreliable. Some begin with, "I've had terrible experience with." I'd ask to elaborate on specifics, but nothing coherent would be said.
      I don't get it.
      Is it DieselGate that has exhausted enthusiasm among American consumers or simply, " It ain't domestic," hence it is unreliable poo?

I'd like to know!

Cheers...
      How hard can it be!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      R36 4Motion Wagon, MK6 Jetta SEL, 5N2 Tiguan SEL 4Motion
      04-29-2019 03:25 AM #2
      Everyone has different experiences and opinions with different brands of domestic and or foreign vehicles.

When it comes to VW, if you take care of your care, VW will take care of you. Just don’t cut corners on maintenance, repairs, mods, retrofits, and all is good.
      Current: R36 4Motion Wagon, MK6 Jetta SEL, 5N2 Tiguan SEL 4Motion

Past: MK2 GTI 16v, MK4 GTI VR6, MK4 Jetta, B3 Passat GLX Wagon VR6, B3 Passat GLX Sedan VR6, B3 Passat GL Wagon 16v, B3 Passat GL Sedan 16v

Vehicles
      19 GSW 4Mo, 6sp.
      04-29-2019 06:09 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by nycdub2 View Post
      Everyone has different experiences and opinions with different brands of domestic and or foreign vehicles.

When it comes to VW, if you take care of your care, VW will take care of you. Just don’t cut corners on maintenance, repairs, mods, retrofits, and all is good.
      I've had terrible experience with JEEP Renegade.

When asked, I say as a brand Jeep is awesome, but it has issues.
      I am not bashing Jeep as a brand, unlike people I've spoken with bash VW.

weird!
      Last edited by MidnightGSW; 04-29-2019 at 06:13 AM.
      How hard can it be!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      '04 330i ZHP
      04-29-2019 06:49 AM #4
      I haven't owned a VW yet, but had two BMWs and people say the same thing about BMWs. Mine definitely had a fair amount of issues that you think a car shouldn't have, like having to replace the entire suspension and cooling system by 90k miles.

But I didn't mind cause I loved the cars. If it was a Honda Accord or Dodge minivan that was just an appliance, I'd have been pissed.

My buddy traded in his 1994 GTI for a 2008 GTI, partly cause it was leaking water through the back windows. The new GTI leaked water through the back windows, lol. That kind of crap turns peopel off the brand.

7. 04-29-2019 07:44 AM #5
      I don't like this sort of question, because individual opinions really don't matter. To answer your questions you first need to re-ask it: what does the data say about Golf long term reliability? In the US, get your hands on something like Consumer Reports' bi-annual long term survey reliability ; the survey is sent to something like 2MM car owners with close to 800K respondents, it's the biggest long term reliability study in the US and the second largest census next to the US census.

With the above said, MY10-18 had below average reliability (this is for the Golf non AT, GSW, GTI variants) with MY17 having higher than average reliability. The data is statistically significant and represents a varied base.

Hope the above answers your question.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      17 Alltrack 05 Dakota 91 318iC 89 325i 80 D150 SWB 76 Rabbit
      04-29-2019 07:49 AM #6
      VW has had a number of reliability issues over the years that still haunt them.

1.8T sludge issues, failing coil packs, window regulators, etc.

Get stranded a couple times in your new VW for failed coil packs and you will swear them off.

We had 2 B5 Passats in the family. Both bought new. One ate coil packs, left my Dad stranded multiple times. The other ate it's engine at 90k miles.
      VW told my in-laws to **** themselves. Neither of them will ever buy another VW. They thought we were crazy when we got the Alltrack.

Vehicles
      19 GSW 4Mo, 6sp.
      04-29-2019 08:57 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Dawg90 View Post
      I haven't owned a VW yet, but had two BMWs and people say the same thing about BMWs. Mine definitely had a fair amount of issues that you think a car shouldn't have, like having to replace the entire suspension and cooling system by 90k miles.

But I didn't mind cause I loved the cars. If it was a Honda Accord or Dodge minivan that was just an appliance, I'd have been pissed.

My buddy traded in his 1994 GTI for a 2008 GTI, partly cause it was leaking water through the back windows. The new GTI leaked water through the back windows, lol. That kind of crap turns peopel off the brand.
      I wish I never sold my 89MY 535 manual. That M30 engine was the smoothest engine I've had.
      It had constant issues with LKM, but after couple of Ebay refurbished LKM, it quit misbehaving.

I do understand all cars have issues, but condemning entire brand seems a bit extreme!
      How hard can it be!

Vehicles
      19 GSW 4Mo, 6sp.
      04-29-2019 09:08 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by joeCR1976 View Post
      I don't like this sort of question, because individual opinions really don't matter. To answer your questions you first need to re-ask it: what does the data say about Golf long term reliability? In the US, get your hands on something like Consumer Reports' bi-annual long term survey reliability ; the survey is sent to something like 2MM car owners with close to 800K respondents, it's the biggest long term reliability study in the US and the second largest census next to the US census.

With the above said, MY10-18 had below average reliability (this is for the Golf non AT, GSW, GTI variants) with MY17 having higher than average reliability. The data is statistically significant and represents a varied base.

I understand your point. I appreciate it.

It just seems to me strange to issue "it's a POO" statement without empirical data sporting it., No one is bashing Ford brand for its diesel engines after International, venerable 7.3 DTI was relegated to archives of history. Ford devised own engine that has had some of most spectacular failures I've had pleasure to whiteness. I still think Ford has one of the strongest following in USA and abroad, despite some questionable automobiles they've produced over the years.
      It actually goes beyond FORD.vs.GMC argument. At least you know your "religion" and your defend it.
      This is new to me, when talking to people and receiving such a staggering reply! Oh, its a VW, it must be crap...

I just thought people would be more cultivated when it come to unfounded bashing.
      Last edited by MidnightGSW; 04-29-2019 at 09:16 AM.
      How hard can it be!

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 VW Tiguan SE 4Motion | 2008 Audi Q7 4.2 Premium (Sold)
      04-29-2019 09:11 AM #9
      Whenever I talk to people they don't say too much about reliability, but what they do say is how they hate the maintenance costs with VWs. $100+ oil changes, paying for maintenance items off warranty at dealer (brakes), etc.

VW's prices are outrageous compared to other "economy cars".

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      19 GSW 4Mo, 6sp.
      04-29-2019 09:14 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by D3Audi View Post
      Whenever I talk to people they don't say too much about reliability, but what they do say is how they hate the maintenance costs with VWs. $100+ oil changes, paying for maintenance items off warranty at dealer (brakes), etc.

VW's prices are outrageous compared to other "economy cars".

I think it just simple lack of due diligence before investing in certain car brands.
      How hard can it be!

13. Member
      Vehicles
      04-29-2019 09:23 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by MidnightGSW View Post
      No one is bashing Ford brand for its diesel engines after International, venerable 7.3 DTI was relegated to archives of history.

Ford is constantly based for its diesel engines.

Vehicles
      19 GSW 4Mo, 6sp.
      04-29-2019 09:26 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by PoorHouse View Post

Ford is constantly based for its diesel engines.
      I mean as a brand overall. I don't hear people say Ford is POO when asked.
      How hard can it be!

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 VW Tiguan SE 4Motion | 2008 Audi Q7 4.2 Premium (Sold)
      04-29-2019 09:41 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by MidnightGSW View Post
      I think it just simple lack of due diligence before investing in certain car brands.
      Yes and no. There's no reason why the golf should have expensive maintenance costs. Not to mention if it has a DSG then that means a DSG flush will be needed as well.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 Golf Sportwagen 5MT, '18 Golf Sporwagen 4MOTION 6MT, Marinoni Genius road bike
      04-29-2019 09:41 AM #14
      Any individual's experience will be anecdotal. I've had numerous VWs, some good, a couple awful. Currently we both own 2 Mk VII Sportwagens with just over 30k km each. A '17 FWD, an '18 4MO, both base models, both manual. Neither one has ever been to the dealer for issues outside their normal service intervals, except that both got dented in parking lots and spent some time in the body shop having the damage repaired courtesy of our insurance company. Perhaps being base models with no panoramic sunroof helps

That said, the list, and the issues:

'99 Mk IV TDI: lemon. Paint quality issues, wiring harness, water pump issue... dumped it at 80k km.
      '04 TDI: no issues, great car, until my wife totalled it at 110k km
      '05 Passat TDI: our longest-lived VW ever, made it to 300k km. Zero issues until 160k km, then old car issues, and the balance shaft chain drive was preventively replaced with a geared unit by VW at around 150k km, VW paid 75%; after 160k lots of issues with CV joints and ultimately a transmission oil cooler line broke and killed the transmission at 297k km. By then the car was too rusty to bother repairing it (mostly due to poor collision repair after being sideswiped by an out-of-control minivan in 2006).
      '07 Passat wagon, 2.0T manual: great car, reliable save for heavy oil consumption, always needed a quart every 2500 km.
      '11 Golf TDI hatchback, manual: a lemon; HPFP, loose subframe bolts, two broken springs, intercooler icing, botched intercooler repair with dealer left me stranded... couldn't wait to see the backside of that car
      '16 Mk VII Golf hatch: replaced my '11 TDI, great car, no issues in 60k km except for some 1st generation Apple CarPlay wonkiness. Traded it for the '18 Sportwagen as we needed a second wagon.
      '13 Golf TDI wagon, manual; great car, no issues, bought back by VW due to dieselgate
      '17 Sportwagen, FWD manual: zero, and I really do mean zero, issues in 33k km; bought with the VW buy-back money.
      '18 Sportwagen, 4MO, manual, again, zero issues in 36k km, great car, love it.

I would say that so far our Mk VIIs have been *by far* the most reliable of the bunch. The 1.8 TSI is a great little engine, gets stellar fuel economy for a gasser, almost makes a diesel redundant. I would buy another Mk VII in a heartbeat.

Vehicles
      19 GSW 4Mo, 6sp.
      04-29-2019 10:06 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by D3Audi View Post
      Yes and no. There's no reason why the golf should have expensive maintenance costs. Not to mention if it has a DSG then that means a DSG flush will be needed as well.

I'd challenge you to perform new Ford Transit 350HD transmission service. It is redonkulus.
      How hard can it be!

18. 04-29-2019 10:43 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by joeCR1976 View Post

I'd agree that data trumps anecdote. I'd also suggest that a respondent pool of "200 to 300 samples" is somewhat limited, and that a failure to fully disclose the methodology is also pretty limiting.

People are fond of blindly following or hating Consumer Reports based on how their particular car fares. I don't fall into that group. As a stats nerd though, I do find there to be some pretty serious limitations--and it's reflected in the data. The biggest problem is that cars are so reliable that the number of necessary respondents needs to become larger in order for the data to be robust. As time has gone on, cars have gotten better--and their error bars have gotten larger.

Their "incorporating past models for predicted reliability" is also just intellectually lazy/dishonest, depending on how you look at it. Again, I don't think it's "worthless". It's a single piece of information. Frankly, I think the collection of anecdotes you'll find on an online forum to be pretty useful as well.

If you were to read CR, you certainly wouldn't have any thoughts that leaking sunroofs were a problem on the GSW/Alltrack. Clearly, this is not true.

19. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2017 VW Alltrack
      04-29-2019 03:26 PM #17
      I'm now driving a 2017 Golf Alltrack that I bought new last summer for $10K off sticker, out the door price. If it were not for the price, I would have skipped the car and bought something else. Problem is, I like small wagons, I like European cars, the way they handle, and the market is pretty scarce on finding those. Until 2004, I had been driving mostly European cars since the 60's.

My first VW was a 99 Passat. Bought it new right after Consumers Reports rated it the best family sedan. I owned that car for nearly 5 years, and 46,000 miles. The warranty at the time was 10 year, 100,000 power train, two year bumper-to-bumper, so what could go wrong. Consumers Reports would later rate the same Passat as one of the worse used cars to buy, due to reliability.

So, what about my Passat:
      Two water pumps failed, replaced under warranty.
      Power steering pump failed, no warranty.
      Turbo control failure, no warranty.
      Engine management computer failure, left my stranded 80+ miles from home, no warranty. ($900)
      Transmission computer failure, would not shift gears, no warranty. ($540)
      Two window regulators failure, no warranty.
      Turn signal/4 way flashier unit, failed safety inspection, no warranty. $125
      Backup light switch in transmission, failed safety inspection. Traded the car in like that because they quoted several hundred dollars to replace.
      Recalled for gas tank issues, could blow up if you have a flat tire.
      Recalled for power brake issues, could lose brakes on cold days.
      Recalled for tie-rod ends, could corrode and cause an accident.

The dealer suggested that I write VW and tell them of my problems, to see if it would do something to offset my expenses. VW called later and told me no. They suggested that I buy a new VW, because they have changed their warranty, and most of those failures would now be covered.

I took their advice, and bought a new car, but a Mazda. I had zero issues with that car, and the mostly Japanese cars I've had since then. (I got on the BWM kick for awhile, and returned to Volvo later on).

Buying my Golf was a gamble. The first time it leaves me stranded, or VW tells me that something is not covered under their warranty, I will walk away from it and never buy another VW product again. The car seems ok right now, except for that whine that I hear in the transmission when I let off the gas at about 60mph. Sounds like an old pickup truck from the 60's with a bad rear-end. My dealer tells me that is normal, they all do it.

I am sorry if this sounds like I am bitter towards VW, but I feel like I've earned that right. I love my new Golf, I love the way it drives, looks, the color, and the ease that I can load my bikes on the roof rails. But, I am no longer a loyal VW customer. VW, and this Golf will have to earn that loyalty back. That said, if I were in the market for another car right now, well I would look at the Golf GTI. I have loved GTIs since they were first introduced.

I only hope VW got it right this time. Consumers Reports rates the new Golf highly, so I have high expectations.

20. 04-29-2019 04:55 PM #18
      The only reason I bought a GSW was the price I got on a LE GSW - this was during the diesel scandal and sales were hurting so they created an LE variant and basically giving cars away. For the $21K I paid for my I'm willing to accept some quality and reliability issues. I would never pay more than $25K for any VW - there's no value proposition.

One thing to note is that CR may give a certain car a great "road test" score (this is a combo of track testing and daily driving by one of their engineers for a few months), but if there is reliability data coming back that isn't good or there's a safety issues, then the car will not be recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by toooldtocare View Post
      I'm now driving a 2017 Golf Alltrack that I bought new last summer for $10K off sticker, out the door price. If it were not for the price, I would have skipped the car and bought something else. Problem is, I like small wagons, I like European cars, the way they handle, and the market is pretty scarce on finding those. Until 2004, I had been driving mostly European cars since the 60's.

My first VW was a 99 Passat. Bought it new right after Consumers Reports rated it the best family sedan. I owned that car for nearly 5 years, and 46,000 miles. The warranty at the time was 10 year, 100,000 power train, two year bumper-to-bumper, so what could go wrong. Consumers Reports would later rate the same Passat as one of the worse used cars to buy, due to reliability.

Engine management computer failure, left my stranded 80+ miles from home, no warranty. ($900)
      Backup light switch in transmission, failed safety inspection. Traded the car in like that because they quoted several hundred dollars to replace.

The dealer suggested that I write VW and tell them of my problems, to see if it would do something to offset my expenses. VW called later and told me no. They suggested that I buy a new VW, because they have changed their warranty, and most of those failures would now be covered.

I took their advice, and bought a new car, but a Mazda. I had zero issues with that car, and the mostly Japanese cars I've had since then. (I got on the BWM kick for awhile, and returned to Volvo later on).

Buying my Golf was a gamble. The first time it leaves me stranded, or VW tells me that something is not covered under their warranty, I will walk away from it and never buy another VW product again. The car seems ok right now, except for that whine that I hear in the transmission when I let off the gas at about 60mph. Sounds like an old pickup truck from the 60's with a bad rear-end. My dealer tells me that is normal, they all do it.

I am sorry if this sounds like I am bitter towards VW, but I feel like I've earned that right. I love my new Golf, I love the way it drives, looks, the color, and the ease that I can load my bikes on the roof rails. But, I am no longer a loyal VW customer. VW, and this Golf will have to earn that loyalty back. That said, if I were in the market for another car right now, well I would look at the Golf GTI. I have loved GTIs since they were first introduced.

I only hope VW got it right this time. Consumers Reports rates the new Golf highly, so I have high expectations.

21. 04-29-2019 05:04 PM #19
      That respondent pool is actually big enough, it's statistically significant and it's better than any data set you can find in the US (on clean well reported data points). There's no secret to their methodology. A recommendation is based on: track testing (see the tests and the weight they assign to each test on their site), 2-3 month daily living/driving that an assigned engineer conducts (there's a log that each engineer works with), and the reliability findings from their bi-annual survey. There's also consideration for crash testing (which isn't done by CR but by the Federal Government) and recalls.

I don't think it's a matter of following CR, but rather just looking at how they evaluate cars - there's really no other car testing program on the planet that is as empirical as the organization. Who are you going to listen to: a few VW owners, JD Powers, online message boards, dealers, etc.?

I'm not sure I understand your point about respondents and good reliability - if the respondent indicates trouble free issues MY to MY then that's good data, regardless of whether there is an issue or not.

Do we know if leaking sunroofs are a problem, statistically? What's the total # of GSW or AT members on this board and what is the number of people reporting a problem? We could quickly figure out if it's significant or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Watts View Post
      I'd agree that data trumps anecdote. I'd also suggest that a respondent pool of "200 to 300 samples" is somewhat limited, and that a failure to fully disclose the methodology is also pretty limiting.

People are fond of blindly following or hating Consumer Reports based on how their particular car fares. I don't fall into that group. As a stats nerd though, I do find there to be some pretty serious limitations--and it's reflected in the data. The biggest problem is that cars are so reliable that the number of necessary respondents needs to become larger in order for the data to be robust. As time has gone on, cars have gotten better--and their error bars have gotten larger.

Their "incorporating past models for predicted reliability" is also just intellectually lazy/dishonest, depending on how you look at it. Again, I don't think it's "worthless". It's a single piece of information. Frankly, I think the collection of anecdotes you'll find on an online forum to be pretty useful as well.

If you were to read CR, you certainly wouldn't have any thoughts that leaking sunroofs were a problem on the GSW/Alltrack. Clearly, this is not true.

22. 04-29-2019 05:17 PM #20
      I have the most unreliable car on the planet. It's a Fiat. So far, this car has had a laundry list of issues. First was a throttle body (replaced under warranty) and the second was the LF wheel bearing (replaced under warranty). My Golf was way more reliable because it was double the reliability. It had the front radar realigned and that's all.

I have been searching other forums from other manufacturers and this is what they all say:
      Honda:
      Love my Honda, it has never broke in over 30 years

Toyota:
      Love my Corolla. The company pays me to just drive it and plus it never breaks.

Subaru:
      Bought a 2017 Outback and it has doubled in value. Thanks Subaru for a car that never breaks and doubles in value every year.

Mazda:
      I used to own a VW and it blew up in 6 months and VW charged me $20K just to change out the water pump. I'm glad I'm with Mazda now.

Kia:
      I got an email from the DPRK. They wanted to pay me $60K for my Rio.

Fiat:
      My 500 broke 6 ft before I crossed the property line at the dealer after I took delivery. They totaled the car and insurance will not cover it.

VW:
      I got a $20K surcharge when I wanted to just test drive the thing. I opened the drivers door and it fell off. I now owe VW $20K.
      Last edited by jjvincent; 04-29-2019 at 05:19 PM.

23. 04-29-2019 05:52 PM #21
      My mother called me few weeks ago. She saw a audi on fire and told me not to buy another audi. Just because she saw a audi on fire and its not reliable. I ask her what makes it not reliable, she had no answer. Thats how these things get started
      hirro

24. 04-29-2019 11:46 PM #22
      I bought new a Pueblo-built 1995 Jetta. As someone else mentioned, it had a 10 yr/100k powertrain warranty, but a meagre 2 yr/24k bumper-to-bumper warranty. I soon figured out why. From 6k miles onward there was never a time that car didn't have a problem. You would fix the new problem and almost immediately another one would surface. If you're not affluent -- which I certainly wasn't at the time -- you just learn to live with things like the cruise control quitting, or learn to fix some of the simpler things yourself, or -- you just live with pieces that don't work or are falling off. That happened an awful lot.

I will say that if the car had a 20 yr/200k powertrain warranty, there wouldn't have been much that VW would have had to cover. The drivetrain was solid other than a failed clutch cable and a few axles replaced.

I vowed I would go back to Japanese cars and never return. Then something funny happened. I was looking for a work car last year, and the best inexpensive used car I could find in the small town I live in (25,000 population) was, believe it or not, a 2002 Passat that was 1-owner and showed 49 service records on the Carfax. I got the car pretty cheap, and I figured since I would have to rely on this car, I better do what I could to make it as reliable as possible. I did a full timing kit and replaced the struts. Eventually it needed some wear items like fuel-injector o-ring seals, vacuum lines etcetera. The thing was very reliable. When I first test drove it, I took it home and parked in my garage and turned the lights out and then turned on the car's instrument panel lights. Every single light still worked, which shocked me after owning that '95 Jetta that was always blowing instrument bulbs. I tried as hard as I could to find fault with the car, but couldn't really find anything. The worst I could say was that it had about half a dozen small door dings, which I've since had repaired because the rest of the car is so pristine. Anyway, I put about 20k miles on it in a year and it never let me down -- and, I'm still driving it as a work car. I've been so impressed with that old Passat that it led me to buy a very low mile 2018 Golf Alltrack a few months ago. It kind of amuses me, but the Passat has a little less wind and road noise than the Alltrack, although the Alltrack's seats and other luxuries more or less make up for it.

To make very long story short, I somehow find myself in another Puebla-built VW, and hope that in the past 24 years they've gotten better at building high-quality cars. So far so good; I'm very impressed by the solidity and build quality of the Alltrack and only hope it lasts into old age as gracefully as my old German-built Passat has and with as few problems.

As an aside, I've had more than a few Subarus in my time, and they can be a mixed bag, with some that are totally trouble-free, and others that eat maintenance and repair money like a, well, uh, European car.
      Last edited by maxeymum; 04-29-2019 at 11:51 PM.

25. 04-30-2019 06:53 AM #23
      As always, the venerable JJVincent illuminates with pinpoint sarcasm and unwavering drops of factual insight. You, JJ, are the king of lexicon, prince of VW.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      04-30-2019 08:02 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by toooldtocare View Post

Similar to my history with Passats.

Wouldn't have considered another VW except that there aren't many AWD wagons with manual trans.
      With the discounts in 2017 it made the car cheap enough to take a gamble on.

Hopefully VW has turned things around and brings us back into the fold.

27. Member
      Vehicles
      93 Passat - 97 Passat - 07 Golf - 07 Jetta - 13 Jetta - 17 Golf R - 18 Alltrack
      04-30-2019 01:26 PM #25
      Just my personal experience, but out of the 7 VWs I've owned over the years, the only 2 that have had ongoing issues with them were both Mk7 Golfs. The experience I've had with my 17 R and now with the 18 Alltrack, I've gotten to the point for the first time in 25 years that I no longer recommend VW to friends and family when asked.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the Alltrack and VW in general, but I honestly do feel that overall reliability and quality control issues have been slipping in recent years.
      Last edited by CDNjetta; 04-30-2019 at 01:37 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast