VWVortex.com - They say Golf is unreliable.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: They say Golf is unreliable.

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2017 VW Alltrack
      05-19-2019 02:31 PM #101
      And how did VW repair them.

First, I got under the car and saw that it does have a new differential. The date code was 2018, where my car was built in November 2016. I then looked up to see where they drilled the holes. Near the back are two mounting bolts that sit less than 1/4" from the floor brace of the trunk. I could not see the holes, but my cell phone could. From the photos, the holes were bare metal, no paint, sealant, etc. I removed everything from the trunk and found two holes in the floor. The VW approved seal kit was two pieces of electrical tape covering the holes, that is all. I removed one piece and could see the hole plainly. Again, no paint, just bare metal from the hole saw they used to open it up. The hole measured 1.07 inches, so my next project is to find a rubber plug that size and some sealant. I plan on fixing it right my self. I realize that in Florida rust is not a problem. But where these holes are is a good place to catch salt grim from northern roads. Right now we are considering moving back north, where snow and salt will be a problem. Needles to say, VW did not live up the my expectations on the repair. I do not seem to be able to add photos, or I would. If someone would inform me on how to do it, I will be glad to show the VW repair.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 05-19-2019 04:20 PM #102
      Reading this thread again it is clear the issue is the dealer, I feel fortunate that I have 2 great dealers,one in NE and one in SWFL. Everytime I've had an issue they stepped up and did a fine job of getting the issue resolved in a timely way. Loaners were always available,and an explanation given as to the fix required. That's why I have bgt 5 cars from them. I am sorry that here are poor service people and dealers,it's going to eventually bite them big time.

BTW all of my cars have been good performers and little trouble. Just finished a 1500 mile trip with the TREG TDI which was a joy.

4. 05-21-2019 07:02 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by joeCR1976 View Post
      My point is that you guys gotta lower your expectations. Go get the warranty work done; ask for an explanation and inspect the work. If the work isn't done to your standard, then don't pick up the car - leave it there until they get it right and get a customer service rep from VWNA. If you want to be treated like a king (or queen) at your local dealership go and get yourselves a Lexus, MB, BMW, Audi, etc. (good CX is built into the ownership lifecycle and you pay for it). Buying a $30K Golf ain't gonna get you much at your VW dealership, regardless of what you expect or want.
      I'm not sure if your initial comment is really justified. The expectation when bringing any vehicle in its respective dealership, is that the manufacturer trained expert technicians are going to perform the work properly.

I picked up my car after the turbo was replaced, and the heat shield wasn't put on correctly. Made noise and drove back right away. 2000 km later, my low coolant alert came on. Top it off, continue on, and it continues. Check it out, and they didn't put a clamp back on a coolant hose.

It is not reasonable for someone to perform quality control measures on a procedure performed by "more knowledgeable people."

I have the know how to fix this, as I'm sure most people on here do, but the average person would have had to pay that dealer for putting it back on. Even if they hadn't charged, it's still a large inconvenience.

Some screws for the intake weren't threaded on either.

If you're looking for coffee and espressos, then I agree, go to the local Mazda, BMW, or Mercedes dealerships.

Regardless of where you go though, the expectation is the dealer will perform the work the best. There are a few independent shops who carry more prestige than the dealers, but most do not.
      2015 Sportwagen TSI
      1988 Rx-7
      2000 VFR800

5. 05-21-2019 07:12 PM #104
      Let's make an important distinction here, i'm not saying luxury oem dealer techs do better, but that the CX will be better. You, as the customer, are responsible for inspecting your work. If you're not happy with the work performed (and you have a reason to bring the car back) then keep bringing car back until they get it right.

I'm not sure if i'm understanding your last point, but are you saying that dealers will do better work than a trusted independent? If so, please find an excellent independent for all non warranty work and stick with that person. i will never bring my car to a dealer unless it's warranty work.

Quote Originally Posted by djphonics1 View Post
      I'm not sure if your initial comment is really justified. The expectation when bringing any vehicle in its respective dealership, is that the manufacturer trained expert technicians are going to perform the work properly.

I picked up my car after the turbo was replaced, and the heat shield wasn't put on correctly. Made noise and drove back right away. 2000 km later, my low coolant alert came on. Top it off, continue on, and it continues. Check it out, and they didn't put a clamp back on a coolant hose.

It is not reasonable for someone to perform quality control measures on a procedure performed by "more knowledgeable people."

I have the know how to fix this, as I'm sure most people on here do, but the average person would have had to pay that dealer for putting it back on. Even if they hadn't charged, it's still a large inconvenience.

Some screws for the intake weren't threaded on either.

If you're looking for coffee and espressos, then I agree, go to the local Mazda, BMW, or Mercedes dealerships.

Regardless of where you go though, the expectation is the dealer will perform the work the best. There are a few independent shops who carry more prestige than the dealers, but most do not.

6. 05-21-2019 07:29 PM #105
      You need to look at this from the average consumers point of view.

The average vehicle owner looks into an engine bay and has no idea what they are looking at. To expect the average individual to do a quality control inspection on their vehicle is unreasonable. If there is an immediate issue, than obviously the car goes back. But a small issue that presents itself after 1250 miles, due to faulty workmanship, is not going to be an obvious workmanship issue to the average consumer.

I think it is unreasonable to expect anyone to hoist up their car to inspect the work performed by a dealer. At this point, just do it yourself.

Dealerships boast that their technicians are experts, I.e factory trained service technicians. You and I know that they may not perform work better than honest Joe's repair shop, but there is a degree of trust bestowed on dealers based on those types of claims.

Frankly, customer service is only as good as the person you're talking to.
      2015 Sportwagen TSI
      1988 Rx-7
      2000 VFR800

7. n00b
      Vehicles
      2016 GSW automatic
      05-21-2019 08:05 PM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by CDNjetta View Post
      LOL! What is a "semi-lemon"? A lime?
      Just reliable enough to avoid lemon laws = semi-lemon.

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2017 VW Alltrack
      06-07-2019 03:55 PM #107
      I did trade in my Alltrack after the differential was replaced. I ordered a Mazda 3 Premium with all the bells and whistles, I thought. The sales person assured me the car would have park sensors, it did not. She told me they could add FACTORY sensors if I take this car and I pay an additional $400. I had already upgraded $1,000 to get the premium package and the sensors, and $600 to have the car shipped from another dealer. She then said they would install them at no cost after I started to walk away.

When the car had the sensors installed a few days later, instead of factory ones that illuminate a display, all it had was aftermarket front sensors that sounded an annoying buzz, parked or moving. I was furious, thus complained loudly and angrily to the sales manager. He wanted to know what it would take to get me happy, "I said, install the correct sensors, or return my VW." He told me that even though the literature and owners manual says the sensors are there, they won't be available until the 2020 models come in.

So, today I returned the Mazda 3 and picked up my Alltrack. I also got back a full refund, and TWO free oil changes, in away. They changed the oil to 0w20 when I traded in the car, readying it for resale. I informed that was the wrong oil, it needed VW approved 5w40 oil. After a bit of discussion they sent a guy out to get the right oil, even though the VW dealer was next door. In about an hour I had the car back with the right oil and a new filter.

On their end, they have a dishonest salesperson that thinks people are idiots and will believe anything, a slightly used Mazda 3 (metallic gray with red leather interior and less than 200 miles) and two holes drilled in the front bumper with cheap aftermarket sensors and a buzzer. They also have a very upset, long term customer. The general manager was not very happy with her, but extremely courteous to us, especially after I told them we have been loyal Mazda customers for 26 years, having bough 8 (7 new) Mazdas during those years. He also agreed that he would be upset too.

My Alltrack is home again. I'm not sure what I will do, keep it awhile to see how it performs after I fix the holes the VW dealer drilled in the floor, or trade it in on maybe a Honda Civic lift back. We will see, but driving home today I was rewarded with a really nice driving car, one that felt like it is better built than the Mazda, but with less stuff like memory seats, climate control, etc.

I really do like the Alltrack.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Golf Sportwagen TSi, 2004 Golf GTI 1.8t
      06-10-2019 06:33 PM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by MidnightGSW View Post
      I've had terrible experience with JEEP Renegade.

When asked, I say as a brand Jeep is awesome, but it has issues.
      I am not bashing Jeep as a brand, unlike people I've spoken with bash VW.

weird!
      Actually majority of the jerks i talked to that bash VW for unreliability but yet never owned one, they say it based on what they hear from the internet or other people they heard from and just spreads. My friend who had a 15' Ford Focus ST had way more problems then my 15 Sportwagen he didnt want to buy a VW because he's heard the same for reliability so while he had a chance to buy a GTI around the same time as me he didnt....fast forward 4 years later he saw i was doing dandy in my GSW with almost 100K now he decided to trade in his Focus and got himself a 2019 Rabbit GTI, welcome to the club lol.
      2015 Golf Sportwagen S TSi 5MT in Tungsten Silver
      2004 Golf GTI 1.8T 5MT in Silverstone Gray
      2002 Honda VFR800 Interceptor

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345