And how did VW repair them.
First, I got under the car and saw that it does have a new differential. The date code was 2018, where my car was built in November 2016. I then looked up to see where they drilled the holes. Near the back are two mounting bolts that sit less than 1/4" from the floor brace of the trunk. I could not see the holes, but my cell phone could. From the photos, the holes were bare metal, no paint, sealant, etc. I removed everything from the trunk and found two holes in the floor. The VW approved seal kit was two pieces of electrical tape covering the holes, that is all. I removed one piece and could see the hole plainly. Again, no paint, just bare metal from the hole saw they used to open it up. The hole measured 1.07 inches, so my next project is to find a rubber plug that size and some sealant. I plan on fixing it right my self. I realize that in Florida rust is not a problem. But where these holes are is a good place to catch salt grim from northern roads. Right now we are considering moving back north, where snow and salt will be a problem. Needles to say, VW did not live up the my expectations on the repair. I do not seem to be able to add photos, or I would. If someone would inform me on how to do it, I will be glad to show the VW repair.