VWVortex.com - 2003 MK IV GTI 20TH AE starting issues....please help!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2003 MK IV GTI 20TH AE starting issues....please help!

1. 05-04-2019 11:01 AM #1
      So I just bought my first VW a few months ago, a 03 GTI 20TH AE . My problem started off by the car not wanting to start but not sounding like it was actually turning over. While stranded in the parking lot and doing a quick search I came across someone saying to place the key in the drivers door and turn in back and forth then holding it in the unlocked position (I believe) for 30 seconds. As weird as this sounded to me I tried it because what else was I going to do... I had no tools with me. Low and behold it worked!!! Now my issue is that I get the same thing but it is actually turning over but will not start. There is no smell of fuel as if it is flooding out after several attempts. I have been able to eventually get it started every time after several attempts. I am not sure how long I will be successful in doing this and don't want to get stranded somewhere. So any ideas? Am I looking at a fuel pump issue? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2014/VW/Passat
      05-04-2019 11:15 AM #2
      Do you hear the pump priming when you open your driver side door? You should be able to hear the pump turn on. If you don’t it could possibly be a bad pump. Then I would spray starting fluid into the intake manifold and see if it starts up. If it does I would check fuel pump relay, fuel pump, and fuel filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. 05-06-2019 09:23 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by 2008_FaSt View Post
      Do you hear the pump priming when you open your driver side door? You should be able to hear the pump turn on. If you don’t it could possibly be a bad pump. Then I would spray starting fluid into the intake manifold and see if it starts up. If it does I would check fuel pump relay, fuel pump, and fuel filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I will keep this in mind the next time it happens. Much appreciated!

5. 08-06-2019 08:59 AM #4
      UPDATE: After this issue becoming more often and the car stalling on me at freeway speeds, I done some further research. That research led me to change out my crankshaft position sensor. I have not have any issues since. Thanks to the folks here on VW VORTEX!!

6. 09-05-2019 01:09 AM #5
      This sort of thing was happening to me a bit ago to. The clip for the camshaft sensor is missing and it was unplugged and would cause the car to have a very hard time and long time starting. Glad to here you figured it out!