VWVortex.com - Potential problems with 2012 EOS 2.0T DGS w/ 120k miles
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Potential problems with 2012 EOS 2.0T DGS w/ 120k miles

1. 05-04-2019 11:27 PM #1
      Hi guys,

My wife currently drives a jetta 2.5 with 110k which has been good to us(N/A 2.5 + AT is a good combination) but EOS has been her dream for a while and it looks we found a nice high mileage EOS in the area.

This is a one owner car and has no issues except a few dings and scratches. It looks good and drives perfect. My impression is it was a highway vehicle most of the time.

However, 122k miles seem high (although those are reflected in the price and I had a rock solid G35 with 166k miles on it). I'm a DIY kind of person but I don't really want to buy myself a project car.

What issues should I expect granted car seem to be in good condition? Despite many negative comments about DSG I actually enjoyed it in EOS and I personally think it's a good combination of engine and transmission (I almost think my 328hp 3.7 would benefit from DGS comparing to 7AT which I have now). But how reliable are they especially considering mileage? Should I expect DSG/turbo to explode? Can they make to 200k miles?

any comments appreciated.

thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2019 Volkswagen Arteon SEL-Premium (non R-Line)
      05-13-2019 12:43 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by kinetek View Post
      Hi guys,

My wife currently drives a jetta 2.5 with 110k which has been good to us(N/A 2.5 + AT is a good combination) but EOS has been her dream for a while and it looks we found a nice high mileage EOS in the area.

This is a one owner car and has no issues except a few dings and scratches. It looks good and drives perfect. My impression is it was a highway vehicle most of the time.

However, 122k miles seem high (although those are reflected in the price and I had a rock solid G35 with 166k miles on it). I'm a DIY kind of person but I don't really want to buy myself a project car.

What issues should I expect granted car seem to be in good condition? Despite many negative comments about DSG I actually enjoyed it in EOS and I personally think it's a good combination of engine and transmission (I almost think my 328hp 3.7 would benefit from DGS comparing to 7AT which I have now). But how reliable are they especially considering mileage? Should I expect DSG/turbo to explode? Can they make to 200k miles?

any comments appreciated.

thanks.

I'd be more worried about the DSG- If it has not been properly serviced (and it needs plenty of service), you can run into high-mileage issues, and it is anything but cheap. Maybe you can find a manual version. They are rare, but more solid for long term.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 Grand Cherokee Overland, '09 Tiguan SE, '09 Tiguan SEL 4motion, '03 Boxster S, '82 quattro 20V
      06-12-2019 02:32 PM #3
      At that mileage I would have the cam timing chain and tensioner checked. If it has the old tensioner, the tensioner, chain and guides should be replaced. If it has the new tensioner, check how far out it is adjusted. If more than five "notches" are visible, the chain should be replaced. This check can be done through the inspection plug on the lower front timing cover. You can also check the timing chain for wear/stretch by looking at the cam adaptation value in measuring block 93 with a VAG specific scan tool like VCDS or OBD Eleven. If the value is more than -5 (new is 0 to -.5 or so), then the chain is worn and should be replaced. Early (pre '13) engines with jump timing at around -6 degrees and later ones with the different updated guides can get to -8 degrees, but they will jump time too and bend valves.

While some people think because these engines use timing chains you do not need to worry about them. NOT true. That is why I have my Eos as the timing chain was worn and jumped at 76k. I have now repaired nine CCTA engines. Seven of these had timing chains jump and I can only attribute two of those to the timing chain tensioner. The last one that I did had the old version tensioner changed at 110k miles, but not the chain and at 115k the chain jumped, bending all the intake valves and basically totally the car.

Personally, I like the DSGs, although my Eos is a stick. I had a GLI with one and at over 175k it never had an issue. It had also had routine service, which I think is key.