VWVortex.com - 2019 GLI 35 6MT engine stalling when stopping.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2019 GLI 35 6MT engine stalling when stopping.

Vehicles
      '19 GLI
      09-18-2019 06:42 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by joshsee View Post
      I read this thread before but didn't have any issues until today.

After revving through the gears a little hard than normal, the first full stop I came to it happened, stalled the car.
      I had the car in neutral 20-30 ft prior to the full stop. The revs just gradually died, before I could realize what was going on.

Later today, on my way home the same thing happened. I pulled around a corner and shuffled through the gears, revving to about 4300-4800 per gear. Then the very next stoplight. STALL in neutral.

I was so frustrated. and almost got rear-ended because once again I wasn't expecting the car to just drop off at the street light.

My car only has about 400 mi on it and its not bad gas because I put premium in it a few days ago.

Do you guys think it's worth it to take it to the dealer if its a known issue? Or just contact them?
      If you have an issue take it in, that is what warranty is for. IF you can some how SAFELY get video of the issue to show them in case they blow you off even better. The more documented cases as a whole the more likely VW may be to fix these issues people are having.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
      16 Jetta Sport 1.8T 5spd
      19 GLI 35th 6spd
      88 Corvette 13.8 @ 101mph
      18 Ducati Monster 821

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 GLI Autobahn 6MT
      09-18-2019 08:33 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by joshsee View Post
      ... I pulled around a corner and shuffled through the gears, revving to about 4300-4800 per gear. Then the very next stoplight...
      Where was this done??! 4800 RPM in 3rd gear in the GLI is pushing close to 70 mph...

EDIT: Oh, wait. 4800 RPM in 3rd is actually 77 mph. Even just 4300 RPM would still be 69 mph. Where can I go drive like this on city streets? Sorry for the digression, I'll wade back out now...
      Last edited by rsbaker; 09-19-2019 at 12:59 PM.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Eurovan, 2003 Jetta GLI, 2019 Jetta GLI
      09-22-2019 08:28 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Dstark18 View Post
      I believe I have found the issue. I’m a vw tech and when you take the vehicle out of transport mode with the scan tool after it has come off the truck it asks if the Pr codes (PRCode: 7L2 = With deceleration cut-off
      PRCode: 7L6 = Start/stop system with regenerative braking
      PRCode: 7L7 = Regenerative braking with 12.5 V
      PRCode: 7L8 = Start/stop system with regenerative braking) are present in the vehicle. These or codes are only for auto trans so if the tech was in a hurry or didn’t care too check for pr codes and just selected yes. Then the car is coded for start stop. Bring your vehicle to the dealer and have them switch into transport mode then switch back out and when it asks if those or codes are present select no.
      Dstark18---

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing this. My dealership performed the Pr code removal that you suggested. I went from stalling pretty much every other day, often several times a day, to not stalling once in 6 days/170 miles. I am confident that my car is cured. Can I buy you a beer?

To anyone out there with a stalling GLI, please send your dealership this info. It 100% cured my car. Back to happy driving.

5. n00b
      Vehicles
      2019 Jetta GLI S
      09-24-2019 12:40 AM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by mediumbluemetalic View Post
      Dstark18---

...My dealership performed the Pr code removal that you suggested. I went from stalling pretty much every other day, often several times a day, to not stalling once in 6 days/170 miles. I am confident that my car is cured....
      Did you tell the dealer it may be the PR codes? and how long did it take them to fix the issue? I cannot be without a car during the week and the weekend my local dealer only has their oil changing guys.

BTW really happy that this fixed your car hoping that's the same issue with mine.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      09-24-2019 12:59 AM #55
      I told them about the Pr-codes. I actually emailed the instructions from the forum. It took maybe 3 minutes. I stood outside by the car while it was hooked up to their laptop.

If your car has a rough idle and/or stalls while moving, this probably won't fix it (but try 93 octane gas if that's your problem). If your car only cuts off at complete stops and has a smooth idle, or if it still stalls with 93 gas, I suspect it's the Pr-code issue like my car.

My only hesitation is that my car reached 1,000 miles around the same time that the codes were reset, and some people say their cars stopped having problems at 1,000 miles. I really don't think that my car fixed itself. The day before the codes were reset, it stalled 3 times. But I suppose there's the off chance that the mileage, not the codes, fixed it. But again, I'm prone to believing the codes were the problem.

Someone in the Golf7 forum berated me when I posted my success and said he was informed by VW that Pr-codes are not the issue. But I went from stalling multiple times every other drive to no stalls in 7 days. That's gotta be worth a try.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

7. 09-24-2019 03:02 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by mediumbluemetalic View Post
      I told them about the Pr-codes. I actually emailed the instructions from the forum. It took maybe 3 minutes. I stood outside by the car while it was hooked up to their laptop.

If your car has a rough idle and/or stalls while moving, this probably won't fix it (but try 93 octane gas if that's your problem). If your car only cuts off at complete stops and has a smooth idle, or if it still stalls with 93 gas, I suspect it's the Pr-code issue like my car.

My only hesitation is that my car reached 1,000 miles around the same time that the codes were reset, and some people say their cars stopped having problems at 1,000 miles. I really don't think that my car fixed itself. The day before the codes were reset, it stalled 3 times. But I suppose there's the off chance that the mileage, not the codes, fixed it. But again, I'm prone to believing the codes were the problem.

Someone in the Golf7 forum berated me when I posted my success and said he was informed by VW that Pr-codes are not the issue. But I went from stalling multiple times every other drive to no stalls in 7 days. That's gotta be worth a try.

I was relying what Dstark18 had emailed me. When I saw it pop up, I went to research it since I was not aware of it as a possible cause. He then stated he needed to update his original post since it was a deadend.

When the cars are put back into transport mode and the Pr code switched, are the "ECU adaptations reset"? The stalling going away after that takes place would point back to one of the temp fixes were dealers reset the adaptation values in the hopes of fixing the problem. If that is happening, you might be seeing the differences that transport mode going on/off is forcing on the ECU, not the difference of the Pr codes being different.

Anyways, the investigation the NHTSA and the ODI are performing and requesting information from VWoA about will yield information on whats actually going on behind the scenes.

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '19 35th GLI M6
      09-25-2019 07:48 PM #57
      Car stalled for the first time on the way home from work today. 414.1 miles. Was not driving spirited or anything. Never had a hiccup out of my car yet. Was doing at least 35mph, probably closer to 40 and was coming up on a red light so I put my foot on the clutch and put it in neutral to coast and I felt a bit of a shudder, looked down and my tach was at 0. Oil temperature was 212F (just reached that temp as my drive isn't very long) so it wasn't like it was steady at that temp for some time. Planning on calling the dealer and informing them that this happened and if it occurs much more I will need a loaner until this is fixed.

Considering my car was going the speed it was, I think this has nothing to do with start/stop.

Also, to the previous guy that is confident his car is fixed, I wouldn't jump to conclusions so soon. With the way mine failed it seems like this could be a software issue with the way the computer is learning/adapting to the driving conditions and something is causing it to die when warmed up. Since yours was recently re-flashed it is still relearning.

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '19 35th GLI M6
      09-25-2019 08:24 PM #58
      Forgot to mention fuel: whatever was in the tank from the dealer was run until about 1/3 tank. Put in about 5.5 gallons of 3 week old (probably right around that length of time) 93 octane. That was on Sunday. I've driven probably 100 miles since then.

10. 09-27-2019 08:56 AM #59
      I just traded my RLine in on Wed for a GLI Autobahn. It just started doing this. But, when I start it back up it just dies. Car was in reverse - I was backing into a parking spot. Cant keep it running. Didnt do this at all yesterday. 120 miles on the car.

I had to catch a train for work. I will mess with it more tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by MisterRoy; 09-27-2019 at 11:45 AM.

11. 09-28-2019 04:50 AM #60
      Just another follow up. I put about 15/16 miles on the car after filling up with premium (93) and no stalling. My stalls werent as smooth as others here have indicated here or on Reddit. The car would stumble when stalling. Also, it would stumble and stall right after restarting.

Thinking back when I took delivery of the car it had 61 miles on it and 1/4 tank of gas. (I am sitting around 140 now) Maybe what was in the tank was bad and filling it up with fresh gas helped? I am unsure how much gas is in the car when shipped in from Mexico. Just something to consider.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      09-28-2019 06:25 AM #61
      Thought I'd update you guys... I'm now at 400ish miles and 12 days without a single stall. Previously, I was stalling every other day I drove the car, often 2-3 times per drive.

I've had the car for about a month, so now I'm nearing the point where I've almost had more days without a stall than days with stalling. It's quite hard to deny that something has changed, whether it's the start/stop codes, the 93 gas refills, or the mysterious 1,000 mile self-healing car.

I hope everyone else finds some temporary solution too while we wait on VW for a real fix. Again, if you're having a rough idle, this fix won't help you... Try 93 gas and cross your fingers. If your stalls happen only when the car is stopped and with a smooth idle, this fix is worth the 5 minutes it takes the dealership to reset the software. Even if it doesn't help you, it's worth 5 minutes to try it.

13. 09-28-2019 11:05 AM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by Dstark18 View Post
      I believe I have found the issue. I'm a vw tech and when you take the vehicle out of transport mode with the scan tool after it has come off the truck it asks if the Pr codes
      PRCode: 7L2 = With deceleration cut-off
      PRCode: 7L6 = Start/stop system with regenerative braking
      PRCode: 7L7 = Regenerative braking with 12.5 V
      PRCode: 7L8 = Start/stop system with regenerative braking) are present in the vehicle.
      These pr codes are only for auto trans so if the tech was in a hurry or didn't care to check for pr codes and just selected yes. Then the car is coded for start stop. Bring your vehicle to the dealer and have them switch into transport mode then switch back out and when it asks if those or codes are present select no.
      So, can this be used to permanently disable start/stop on vehicles with automatic transmissions?

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Honda Civic SI(gone), 2003 A4 1.8T 5MT, 1987 Porsche 944(gone), 2006 VW Passat 3.6 Sport 2 (Dai
      09-28-2019 02:54 PM #63
      Well today my motor locked up at 1,030 miles. I heard it knocking as I was on the highway so decided to pull over. Briefly after pulling over it shut off and would not start back.

I only had mine stall once at 400 miles

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

15. 09-28-2019 08:26 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by chrisjackd View Post
      Well today my motor locked up at 1,030 miles. I heard it knocking as I was on the highway so decided to pull over. Briefly after pulling over it shut off and would not start back.

Yikes! Getting a new engine or car?

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Honda Civic SI(gone), 2003 A4 1.8T 5MT, 1987 Porsche 944(gone), 2006 VW Passat 3.6 Sport 2 (Dai
      09-28-2019 08:51 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by MisterRoy View Post
      Yikes! Getting a new engine or car?

New engine? Idk how I would go about getting them to give me another car

17. 09-29-2019 11:04 AM #66
      New engine? Idk how I would go about getting them to give me another car

Since the car is so knew I wasnt sure how they would handle it.

18. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th
      09-30-2019 10:33 AM #67
      I took delivery of a GLI 35th anny on 9/28/19. I'm 150 miles in without any of the stalling issues. It's gotta be the setup that was messed up by accident
      1974 VW Thing 4MT
      1996 Toyota 4Runner SR5 5MT
      2018 Subaru Impreza Sport Hatch 5MT
      2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th 6MT

19. 09-30-2019 02:49 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by SnowB View Post
      I took delivery of a GLI 35th anny on 9/28/19. I'm 150 miles in without any of the stalling issues. It's gotta be the setup that was messed up by accident
      Many on the GTI side have had stalling kick off at 0 miles, 500 miles, 1000 miles and upwards of 3000+ miles. Keep an eye on it

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      09-30-2019 04:46 PM #69

They better not dick you around and make you wait for a new engine without a loaner. Hopefully they just replace it. However, when it comes to bureaucracy, VWofA has become synonymous with your local DMV the past 5 or so years.

21. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '19 35th GLI M6
      10-02-2019 09:11 PM #70
      Exciting. My car stalled once right around 400 miles and hasn't since. Think I'm around 600 or so, now. Certainly hope mine doesn't blow up at 1000.

22. 10-03-2019 09:08 PM #71
      Got 6-speed 35th gli on the 25th sep. stalled once at around 400-450 mile mark during a road trip. Symptoms consistent with everyone else. Just discovered this thread.

23. 10-04-2019 11:57 AM #72
      I have an Autobahn 6 spd bought 8/30. No stalling with 2400 miles on it now.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      10-04-2019 10:28 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by 35thGLINoob View Post

Also, to the previous guy that is confident his car is fixed, I wouldn't jump to conclusions so soon. With the way mine failed it seems like this could be a software issue with the way the computer is learning/adapting to the driving conditions and something is causing it to die when warmed up. Since yours was recently re-flashed it is still relearning.

I've gone 500 miles over the past nearly 3 weeks without a single stall. Previously it stalled every other time I drove it, often 2-3 times per day. I've taken the exact routes that caused the car to stall fairly reliably before, and nothing. Maybe it'll come back. For now I'm quite satisfied that I don't have to stare at the tach every time I stop anymore.

25. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '19 35th GLI M6
      10-04-2019 10:34 PM #74
      Awesome man

Vehicles
      '19 GLI
      10-05-2019 05:31 AM #75
      Just figured I would update. I have a 35th 6spd I took delivery early June, I hit 5k miles yesterday and it has never stalled, not even once.
      16 Jetta Sport 1.8T 5spd
      19 GLI 35th 6spd
      88 Corvette 13.8 @ 101mph
      18 Ducati Monster 821

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123