Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coilover woes...

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Audi A3 Premium Plus S-Line Quattro - Nav and Sunroof - Brilliant Black - APR Stage 2
      05-19-2019 03:26 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by strangetdi View Post

As far as rear adjustment:

"The best way to do the rear would be to take any preload out of the spring, unbolt the shock and thread up or down the lower piece of the shock.

The best and simplest method to setting the rear height is to set the spring perch height first and then adjusting the shock height to ensure proper preload is set into the spring.
      An alternate method that is also correct: let the spring free hang and set the shock height - then crank the preload into the shock after the shock is mounted into the car."
      So I experimented with the rears this morning with the current springs. Very straight forward procedure: All I did was remove the control arm bolt while the spring was supported by the jack, then slowly released it, and removed the spring. I then unbolted the bottom of the shock and turned it so it was extended another inch. Forgot about the auto leveling, but thankfully it not break. Put it all together and went for a test drive. All felt good. I left the spring perch position as it was, thinking that I would release some of the overloading, and the spring would push back up a little...

Nope...adjusting the shock length did nothing. The ride height is still the same, the spring is still in the same compressed position and did not expand even a little, which leads me (and you others) to believe I need stiffer springs, since the current 5kg springs are compressed this low due to only weight, and I think any shock adjustment without stiffer springs will do anything to increase ride height.

Do you guys see anything I did incorrectly or are my assumptions correct?

I requested the new springs last week. I hopefully I get them this week.

I really wanted to put on my summer wheels today. Maybe next weekend.....

Some pics:

Last edited by strangetdi; 05-19-2019 at 07:37 PM.
      2013 Audi A3 Premium Plus S-Line Quattro - Nav and Sunroof - Brilliant Black - APR Stage 2, APR intake, turbo inlet pipe and downpipe, GFB DV+, S3 Matt Chrome Mirror covers, aspherical mirrors, Maxton Design RS3 Rear Spoiler Extension, RS3 Badgeless Grille, P3Cars Vent Multi-Gauge, ORT (Open Road Tuning) RS Spec Coilovers...more to come.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3 2.0T
      Yesterday 03:06 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by strangetdi View Post
      Nope...adjusting the shock length did nothing.

I know this contradicts what ORT is telling you man, but the spring is what sets the ride height. It carries the weight of the vehicle, not the shock. If you had a vehicle with springs and no shocks it would sit at the same static height as if it had shocks. It would bounce everywhere in motion (not to mention be insanely dangerous) but it would sit statically at the same height. A vehicle with shocks and no springs is going to go straight to the bottom of the shock travel. There's a reason you can compress a shock by hand but a spring requires a compressor.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Audi A3 Premium Plus S-Line Quattro - Nav and Sunroof - Brilliant Black - APR Stage 2
      Yesterday 04:59 PM #28
      I hear ya.

ORT is sending 7kg (390lbs) springs that are also 10" long, vs the 5kg, 8.5" springs that they gave me.

FYI, the stock rear springs are 13" long, I don't know the spring rate on those.
      2013 Audi A3 Premium Plus S-Line Quattro - Nav and Sunroof - Brilliant Black - APR Stage 2, APR intake, turbo inlet pipe and downpipe, GFB DV+, S3 Matt Chrome Mirror covers, aspherical mirrors, Maxton Design RS3 Rear Spoiler Extension, RS3 Badgeless Grille, P3Cars Vent Multi-Gauge, ORT (Open Road Tuning) RS Spec Coilovers...more to come.

Vehicles
      Audi A3 3.2 quattro sLine 2008, Lava Gray
      Yesterday 08:22 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by TBomb View Post

I know this contradicts what ORT is telling you man, but the spring is what sets the ride height. It carries the weight of the vehicle, not the shock. If you had a vehicle with springs and no shocks it would sit at the same static height as if it had shocks. It would bounce everywhere in motion (not to mention be insanely dangerous) but it would sit statically at the same height. A vehicle with shocks and no springs is going to go straight to the bottom of the shock travel. There's a reason you can compress a shock by hand but a spring requires a compressor.

TBOMB is right.

I looked at OTR's site. It looks like they re-purpose the same shocks for multiple applications just swapping out perches and mounts. I find this ironic since the only other product they carry are the best coilovers you can get for our cars (Ohlins). You should have a solid 2" of travel both ways on the shocks in front and back or they're too short for the application and you'll run into problems such as very short life. As far as your current perch setup, that's dangerous. I wouldn't run like that for a moment.

What a debacle. As someone with a fairly custom suspension setup I'll say it. You should have just spent the couple extra hundred and gotten a set of H&R or Bilsteins designed for our cars. This thread doesn't instill confidence in OTR or their products. And what is with the threaded shocks the rear, guessing they're front housings which also speaks to OTR's product design.
      Last edited by ceese; Yesterday at 08:25 PM.
      __________________________________________________ _______________
      Anyone who looks at the Audi A3 3.2 DSG and sees an overpriced economy car should not be allowed to play with Rottweiler puppies.
      Robert Farago, The Truth About Cars

6. Member
      Vehicles
      Yesterday 09:01 PM #30
      Thanks for your comments. I certainly have thought what could’ve been with a different non threaded shock set up, but it is what it is and I’m going to make it work, as they actually ride pretty nice.

A closer look on the perch this past weekend, shows that I have over 3/4 inch of threads left, before I would consider it dangerous or not safe. Early on in the thread, I thought it was maxed out, but its not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by strangetdi; Yesterday at 09:08 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12