VWVortex.com - Pros/Cons: Q40 vs. Q50 (3.7)?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pros/Cons: Q40 vs. Q50 (3.7)?

Vehicles
      2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport
      05-07-2019 01:30 PM #1
      How I'm looking at these two:

Q40: Older ICE, no sport package (need older, higher miles G37 for that), solidly reliable, way harder to find in a config that I would accept.

Q50: More modern inside and out, not as fun to drive (?), more muted (literally), up to date but possibly finicky ICE? (would be irritating).

Any other helpful insight?
      Next car desires subject to change... Perpetually.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '17 Accord Sport SE 6MT & '15 INFINITI QX60 Family Truckster
      05-07-2019 01:58 PM #2
      I too need to do some homework on the Q50. I've been eyeballing them, but from what I read, they are not all they are cracked up to be. Again, I'm naive on this platform, so research is needed before I go test drive one. But I do like the looks.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      '13 Optima SX-L, '11 MKX, '06 ER-6N
      05-07-2019 02:08 PM #3
      Depends what you want. On balance for a daily driver I think the Q50 will be much better. I don't think there's much of a price difference at this point. Just get it properly equipped.

My personal pick would be a RWD S hybrid... for you I'm thinking the regular RWD S without the virtual steering would be it.

5. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-07-2019 02:14 PM #4
      The Q50's infotainment system is maddening. The only thing that's worse in my experience is an early version of CUE.

There'd be no way I'd spend as much as a used Q50 costs to live with that.

Vehicles
      Ghetto35, Lifted AWD Prius
      05-07-2019 02:20 PM #5
      You can still find 50k mile 2013 G37S sedans out there.

Between those two, it's a tough call. The Q40 drives better from a car person perspective and has more intuitive/reliable/better (if older) infotainment, but the Q50 is more modern, comfortable, and efficient. What's your budget? Q50s really tanked in value, and they fixed a lot of the issues with the infotainment in later years. The 2014 Q50S 3.7 that I drove (CPO, 40k miles, under $20k) was really disappointing. Horrible road noise (tires, likely), terribly slow infotainment/rear view camera, and it just felt worse to drive than my '07 G35S. On the other hand, I had a 2015 base model 3.7 as a loaner a few years ago, and I thought it was pretty nice. Much smoother than the V36 cars I've driven. I'd take the standard advice and go drive one of each and see what fits better. I'd look for a 2015 Q50 instead of a 2014 though.

The hybrid is an interesting option, but it requires DAS, and it's not the smoothest hybrid system out there.

Vehicles
      1975 280Z/2012 Maxima SV/2012 Chevy Cruze eco
      05-07-2019 02:44 PM #6
      On the fence as well on my next car. Nissan's V6 FWD CVT does the job but leaves a lot to be desired. I driven G35/37 Q40/60, one q50 got me spooked with traction/stability control. Merging over patched potholes under power and it took over. It was a simple lane change and it freaked out. Only happened once of the 6-8 rentals with these chassis. A member on here has a family member how has/had one and said it was spooky. The 3.0ts are fun!

8. Senior Member SIR ANDROID184's Avatar
      Vehicles
      S2 ROCCO / G35X
      05-07-2019 04:02 PM #7
      If looking at Q50 look for as late in 2014 or 2015 and newer. The 3.7's have issues with oil valley gasket. For some reasons seems the 350's and q50's are most affected by this.
      Car might even have been fixed under warranty if you want to check the car fax. Other wise as far drive train....there's not much that's goes wrong with them.

My g35x is at the end of it's life.....and am wanting a q50 as well but also looking at g37xs
      CoolWater VAG Club D.H.S Dub Historical Society
      Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.

Vehicles
      05-07-2019 06:56 PM #8
      Budget would roughly be $20k-ish. (This would be a replacement for the leased Elantra, so I'm at least a year out still from any shopping.)

Hmm, thought the oil valley thing was resolved from the 2012 model year onward. But yeah, it's not likely to be an issue at this point.

I do like the idea of the VR engines but honestly future plans mean I want to (try to) get off this near endless car payment treadmill I'm on and I'd be more comfortable with something tried and true out of warranty.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      05-07-2019 07:03 PM #9
      VQ will run forever and ever as long as you feed it oil and tons of gas

11. Member
      Vehicles
      13 Infiniti M37 Sport, 03 MB C230 Kompressor
      05-07-2019 07:44 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      VQ will run forever and ever as long as you feed it oil and tons of gas
      I have the VQ37. Not a smooth or quiet engine compared to others.. Not efficient also as I get 17-18MPG. Get's pretty raspy after 6K rpm. However, the engine is pretty reliable and can be lots of fun when pushed hard.

Vehicles
      05-07-2019 08:09 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by VarianceVQ View Post
      Budget would roughly be $20k-ish. (This would be a replacement for the leased Elantra, so I'm at least a year out still from any shopping.)

Hmm, thought the oil valley thing was resolved from the 2012 model year onward. But yeah, it's not likely to be an issue at this point.

I do like the idea of the VR engines but honestly future plans mean I want to (try to) get off this near endless car payment treadmill I'm on and I'd be more comfortable with something tried and true out of warranty.
      For $20k in a year, you can probably get whatever 3.7-powered Infiniti you want. I'd guess a low-mile 2015 CPO Q50S would be easy. I agree about the long term ownership with the VR. They seem to have more issues than the VQ.

The gas mileage isn't really that bad, considering it's a 328 hp, 3,500+ lb sedan. The Q50 loaner I drove had a lifetime average of 23.x and apparently can get 30 or a little more on the highway. The 3.7 is also a fair bit smoother in the Q50 vs. G37. The one other thing that I remember about the Q50 is that it felt a little bit cheaper than the G35/37.

13. 05-07-2019 08:36 PM #12
      I've had a Q50 for the past 3 weeks for work (rental, Hertz president is awesome...I had a Dodge Hellcat a few weeks ago, but that's another post ,short version is the Dodge is un-drivable in the rain if your foot knows only the floor). The Q50 really is a nice driving car on the highways and city streets. I can't speak to the performance on the twisties but as far as a daily driver it's pretty damn nice.

That said, the ICE sucks. Every time you start the car, the screens both revert to the menu. You have to click buttons and dials to make it show the radio stations. And you have to do this EVERY damn time. If this were my daily, I'd try to find out of there is a hack for that.

When I look at the car, it looks so anonymous. It's just a blob and to me, it has zero presence. The coupe is another story. But this is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

In 3 weeks, I've driven 3 different ones well over 1K miles combined. 2 of them had the 2.0T and the one I'm currently has the 3.0T AWD. The 3.0T definitely feels stronger but I wouldn't say that it feels THAT much stronger. The 2.0T is plenty sufficient for daily driving and has plenty of kick to pass slower cars.

The interior doesn't feel especially special to me. It feels like a gussied up Nissan -- which it is. The dual screens are stupid. The bluetooth works fine. All in all, it's a decent car. There are other cars out there that feel just as nice and are cheaper (Honda Accord 2.0T). It's not something that trips my trigger but it is an ok daily driver if you like the way it looks and can live with the infotainment, then by all means go for it.

By the way, I've driven the Q40 as well. Of the 2, I'd take the Q50.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      05-08-2019 07:05 AM #13
      For people who have driven the G and Q... did the Q loose the G's substantial feeling? One thing I remember about my G was that it felt solid. Part of that might have been the coilovers... but even **** like the doors had a certain heft to them that mainstream cars don't. That's not worth 10+ MPG and the inability to run regular but there are some things that are lost. I think the S models all have the VLSD as well which does make a difference... no such luck with the Accord unless you swap from the Si/CTR. But I can't remember if I've ever peg legged my Optima, especially now with my new wheels/tires

Might as well look at Lexus GSs and AWD TLXs too, though both of them have even worse ICEs than the Q50

Vehicles
      A Fancy Nissan
      05-08-2019 09:09 AM #14
      Not quite the same, but I will say that my 2018 Q50 Red Sport is objectively the best car I have owned. It's not the nicest, the coolest, most luxurious, or my favorite, but it is the best all around car I have owned.

I can only surmise that the infotainment in the earlier Q series vehicles has been substantially improved or the complaints are way overblown because other than lacking car play the infotainment in my car leaves nothing to complain about.

Motors...well the only reason I went with this vehicle is because of the 400hp version of the 3.0t and laughable lease in comparison to S4's and M340i's when I was looking (basically half the cost). So I cannot comment on the Q40. The 3.7 however has been around since the G days and is an adequately fun motor to run around with although somewhat harsh when compared to say a BMW I6 motor.

Personally, for around $20K, you can get a CPO 328i that is going to be an all round nicer and newer car. I got my friend into a 2016 328i w/ ~25K miles for about $25K last year. I'd go that route over a Q40 or 3.7 Q series car.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Current: 18' Infiniti Q50 Red Sport
      Prior Vehicles: 13' E92 335i M-Sport l 04' E46 330ci SMG l 04' MKIV GLI 1.8t 6spd

16. Member
      Vehicles
      05-08-2019 09:17 AM #15
      https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...rranty-claims/

I was also very disappointed with the F30 dynamically. Only upside is gas mileage

Vehicles
      A Fancy Nissan
      05-08-2019 10:45 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...rranty-claims/

I was also very disappointed with the F30 dynamically. Only upside is gas mileage
      Any details on what the alleged defect is? We talking something similar to the HPFP issues of the N54 or something more sinister considering full rebuilds/replacements are mentioned in the article?
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Current: 18' Infiniti Q50 Red Sport
      Prior Vehicles: 13' E92 335i M-Sport l 04' E46 330ci SMG l 04' MKIV GLI 1.8t 6spd

18. Member
      Vehicles
      05-08-2019 11:11 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by GLI Dan View Post
      Any details on what the alleged defect is? We talking something similar to the HPFP issues of the N54 or something more sinister considering full rebuilds/replacements are mentioned in the article?
      Long and short of it seems to be that early N20/N26 timing chains stretch and eventually either jump teeth or fail. No biggie, they changed the part number and all seems to be well with later models. However with the early models BMW is trying to ignore it.

Oddly I think Audi 2.0Ts from the same period have a similar issue.

So the 2.0T and 4.4T from BMW are no good. Only turbo engines I'd look at from them would be the post N54 6 bangers.

05-08-2019 11:21 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by GLI Dan View Post
      Timing chain. Either get a late 2015+ or find one that's had the chain replaced.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Vehicles
      05-08-2019 02:12 PM #19
      At any rate, I'm lamenting the four cylinder creep into cars that used to have more (and gas prices creeping back up), so I want to be back behind the wheel of a V6 while I still can.

Vehicles
      Manual Avant
      05-08-2019 04:50 PM #20
      Im sorry but why the hell did infiniti ever change over to this stupid as hell Q naming system!?!?!

rant off, thats it.

22. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      05-08-2019 05:01 PM #21
      I end up in a lot of Infinitis as they tend to pop up in the Emerald Exec at National quite frequently. This car can be summed up in an Excel function...=AVERAGE(All upscale sedans).

The Q40 is a car that dates to 2006. Even if you get one that's just a couple years old, do you really want to buy a car that's half way to being eligible for antique plates?
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

23. Member
      Vehicles
      05-08-2019 05:09 PM #22
      I'd rather do old that works than new for the sake of new that doesn't

Vehicles
      08 Infiniti Guido35x, 74 Datsun Z
      05-08-2019 05:32 PM #23
      For how little difference there is between the 3.5/3.7 cars and the 5spd being regarded as the better transmission, I found that bargain V36 sedans (07-08) were the way to go.

You can buy them for easily half the price and it's 85% of the same car/experience as the later G37 sedans and Q cars.

Just my opinion. I got my 75k mile 2008 G35x sedan for $8K CAD, that was almost two years ago. Two owner car.
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

Vehicles
      05-08-2019 08:17 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      For how little difference there is between the 3.5/3.7 cars and the 5spd being regarded as the better transmission, I found that bargain V36 sedans (07-08) were the way to go.

You can buy them for easily half the price and it's 85% of the same car/experience as the later G37 sedans and Q cars.

Just my opinion. I got my 75k mile 2008 G35x sedan for $8K CAD, that was almost two years ago. Two owner car.
      Yeah, that was also my conclusion back in '15 when I bought my '07. I was shopping for a $25k G37S and ended up with a $12k G35S. It drove better. This was also my conclusion when I was shopping for a replacement last month. Aside from looking more current and having less miles (which can be very important, sure), nothing new/newer in the class really made a case for itself.

If you get the right package (tech), you can even get one with modern features like adaptive cruise and adaptive headlights, and you can add carplay and AA to the factory infotainment system for $600. For the amount of money you can save on a slightly older car, the slightly low MPG and premium fuel requirement is irrelevant. A newer, more efficient car will take years and years to make up for it, if ever. Finding a low-mile, non-beat G35 is going to be hard though. The G37 will give you some updates like a higher-res infotainment system, slightly better highway MPG, and probably some other stuff that I don't know about.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      small car that does it all, incredibly reliable too
      05-08-2019 08:35 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Jettavr666 View Post
      Im sorry but why the hell did infiniti ever change over to this stupid as hell Q naming system!?!?!

rant off, thats it.
      What's worse is the Germans as in BMW and Mercedes who gave you a good idea of what was under the hood when you spotted a 450SL or a 320i. But then again Infiniti's numbers have become as much of a guessing game too now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast