VWVortex.com - Tesla 1400 Mile Road Trip Starts Now - Ask Me Anything!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Results 26 to 50 of 84

    Thread: Tesla 1400 Mile Road Trip Starts Now - Ask Me Anything!

    1. Member Tommietank's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 6th, 2009
      Location
      Burlington, VT
      Posts
      2,218
      Vehicles
      2017 BMW i3, 2018 Clarity, 2019 Model 3
      05-10-2019 10:58 PM #26
      I am hunkering down for the night at a hotel. I chose it because it's a destination charger. 3 of them outside providing free level 2 power. All I want is to wake up and go with a full charge. The car has been flawless really and the nav/trip planner in the car is all you need. I truly feel this type of travel can be adopted by most drivers in America.
      Slow Car Fast

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Geriatric Member spockcat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 4th, 2003
      Location
      West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Posts
      40,590
      Vehicles
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 17 Escape, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      05-10-2019 11:21 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post
      I am hunkering down for the night at a hotel. I chose it because it's a destination charger. 3 of them outside providing free level 2 power. All I want is to wake up and go with a full charge. The car has been flawless really and the nav/trip planner in the car is all you need. I truly feel this type of travel can be adopted by most drivers in America.
      How far did you get?

    4. Member Tommietank's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 6th, 2009
      Location
      Burlington, VT
      Posts
      2,218
      Vehicles
      2017 BMW i3, 2018 Clarity, 2019 Model 3
      05-10-2019 11:27 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      How far did you get?
      Just south of Richmond VA. Looks like a solid 14 hours tomorrow and I'd like to be home by 10pm. Totally doable I think!
      Slow Car Fast

    5. Geriatric Member spockcat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 4th, 2003
      Location
      West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Posts
      40,590
      Vehicles
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 17 Escape, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      05-10-2019 11:41 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post
      Just south of Richmond VA. Looks like a solid 14 hours tomorrow and I'd like to be home by 10pm. Totally doable I think!
      Did you have a backup plan for charging if the stalls at the hotel were already occupied with other Teslas, ICE’D, inoperable or some combination thereof? A nearby supercharger in the morning? Maybe just level 1 charging from some random outdoor plug?

    6. Member Tommietank's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 6th, 2009
      Location
      Burlington, VT
      Posts
      2,218
      Vehicles
      2017 BMW i3, 2018 Clarity, 2019 Model 3
      05-11-2019 08:07 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      Did you have a backup plan for charging if the stalls at the hotel were already occupied with other Teslas, ICE’D, inoperable or some combination thereof? A nearby supercharger in the morning? Maybe just level 1 charging from some random outdoor plug?
      Yes. I planned enough juice to get to the next Supercharger and took a glance at local non Tesla charger locations. With the car, you get a full charging kit including a J-1772 to Tesla adapter. Worse case scenario, plug into the side of a gas station and hand the clerk $5.



      If this guy can do it across Africa, we can do it with real networks here.

      Slow Car Fast

    7. Member Sortafast's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 6th, 2001
      Location
      Atlanta
      Posts
      7,013
      Vehicles
      2013 Charger R/T Road & Track, 2015 Mini Cooper S 4Dr
      05-11-2019 08:34 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post
      Yes. I planned enough juice to get to the next Supercharger and took a glance at local non Tesla charger locations. With the car, you get a full charging kit including a J-1772 to Tesla adapter. Worse case scenario, plug into the side of a gas station and hand the clerk $5
      A lot of Walgreens locations have charge stations.

    8. Geriatric Member spockcat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 4th, 2003
      Location
      West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Posts
      40,590
      Vehicles
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 17 Escape, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      05-11-2019 09:50 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post
      Yes. I planned enough juice to get to the next Supercharger and took a glance at local non Tesla charger locations. With the car, you get a full charging kit including a J-1772 to Tesla adapter. Worse case scenario, plug into the side of a gas station and hand the clerk $5.
      The hotel you were at would have been a better solution for a 110V plug. They probably have outdoor plugs for Christmas lights and stuff. They would have understood your need for charging. And you would want to charge overnight at 110V as it would take that long to get to a full charge. Last thing you want to do is spend 4 to 8 hours at a gas station charging at 110V as you watch ICE after ICE come and go in 5 minutes each.

      Quote Originally Posted by Sortafast View Post
      A lot of Walgreens locations have charge stations.
      We have a lot of Walgreens locally. I've never seen that here.

    9. Member Mike!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 17th, 2002
      Location
      Ontario & Ohio
      Posts
      19,645
      Vehicles
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      05-11-2019 11:45 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      We have a lot of Walgreens locally. I've never seen that here.
      https://www.plugshare.com/location/7704

      There’s some anyway. Guess it’s more up to the person running the store than anything else. I see there’s a random L2 plug at a Kohl’s in Lakeland and there’s certainly no consistent network at Kohl’s across the country that I know of.

    10. Geriatric Member spockcat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 4th, 2003
      Location
      West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Posts
      40,590
      Vehicles
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 17 Escape, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      05-11-2019 01:30 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      https://www.plugshare.com/location/7704

      There’s some anyway. Guess it’s more up to the person running the store than anything else. I see there’s a random L2 plug at a Kohl’s in Lakeland and there’s certainly no consistent network at Kohl’s across the country that I know of.
      There is actually one at a Walgreens on the map much closer to me. But the last check-ins were from 2017 and they all said the plug was locked in the holster. It has a 1.4 rating compared to the 9 rating on the location you gave. They should drop stuff like this off the map or allow you to search by access ratings.

    11. Member OOOO-A3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 19th, 2004
      Location
      NAT HLA & WATRS
      Posts
      8,742
      Vehicles
      2013 Volt
      05-15-2019 10:38 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post
      Just south of Richmond VA. Looks like a solid 14 hours tomorrow and I'd like to be home by 10pm. Totally doable I think!
      How did the rest of the trip go?

    12. Member Tommietank's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 6th, 2009
      Location
      Burlington, VT
      Posts
      2,218
      Vehicles
      2017 BMW i3, 2018 Clarity, 2019 Model 3
      05-15-2019 11:16 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by OOOO-A3 View Post
      How did the rest of the trip go?
      It went well! Very uneventful and long. Arrived home as predicted at 1230am. A few takeaways from this trip:

      1) EVs are ready for prime time driving including long trips. And by EVs, Teslas due to the network. I didnt need or use any other trip planning app outside of the in car navigation as it works extremely well. The timing of the stops actually coincided well with my bladder capacity so most stop were very welcome.

      2) I wish I had autopilot or even basic active cruise control. I drove the 1400 miles with basic cruise control constantly adjusting speed as needed. I might be the first to do such a long Tesla trip without AP!

      3) The biggest learning that anyone reading this should note is that you DO NOT need a huge battery in an EV. The new Model S gets 370 miles of range but you certainly pay for that. 300+ miles in the Model 3 is around a $10k differential compared to my 240miles. This comes down to about 2 more hours of total charging across 1400 miles of straight driving. Seeing how often I'll drive that I'll save the $10k. Heck even something more reasonable like Burlington VT to Seaside Heights NJ is a difference of about 20 mins in charging. Oh yea, and I also save about 450lbs off the car without the bigger battery and AWD. At some point OEMs and consumers will realize that with a good network, massive range is not needed.


      Now some pics. Superchargers were well located for the most part. Some good rest areas and one in Paramus NJ at an actual Tesla store. Got to poke around the cars for a bit. Even walked into the service area that Saturday. Missing are the usual oil smells from a normal shop.



      Model X is on my wishlist. Such a cool vehicle.



      here she is at home. What punny license plate should I get?

      Slow Car Fast

    13. Member Strange Mud's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 20th, 2017
      Location
      Small Town CT
      Posts
      787
      Vehicles
      2017 GTI
      05-16-2019 06:25 AM #37
      thx for this...cool idea to thread

      I wonder how much doing this in cold/hot temps where you really had to use climate control
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      You're supposed to poop in a sock drawer, not sock in a poop drawer.

    14. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 23rd, 2005
      Location
      Columbus, Ohio
      Posts
      13,388
      Vehicles
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      05-16-2019 09:43 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post
      1) EVs are ready for prime time driving including long trips. And by EVs, Teslas due to the network. I didnt need or use any other trip planning app outside of the in car navigation as it works extremely well. The timing of the stops actually coincided well with my bladder capacity so most stop were very welcome.
      Having recently rented a Model S 90D for a 250 mile trip, I definitely agree. Didn't even come close to running low; range anxiety was just completely absent. Whenever I can hopefully buy a long range EV, it's going to be a tough decision whether I want to get something with 300 miles of range or if the 240 that seems so common (3, Niro, Bolt) would be fine now that fast charging is becoming ubiquitous.

    15. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 22nd, 2014
      Location
      Houston
      Posts
      296
      Vehicles
      2012 Accord, 2012 Escape, 69 (nice) Beetle
      05-16-2019 09:58 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post


      here she is at home. What punny license plate should I get?
      MISUGRL miss you grill

      NOGRILZ and then a big grin emoji with gold teeth

    16. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 23rd, 2000
      Location
      Shepherdstown, WV
      Posts
      22,158
      05-16-2019 10:13 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post
      It went well! Very uneventful and long. Arrived home as predicted at 1230am. A few takeaways from this trip:
      Awesome that you made it so easily and thanks for posting about it



      The biggest learning that anyone reading this should note is that you DO NOT need a huge battery in an EV. The new Model S gets 370 miles of range but you certainly pay for that. 300+ miles in the Model 3 is around a $10k differential compared to my 240miles. This comes down to about 2 more hours of total charging across 1400 miles of straight driving.

      We fall into the weird use case that 240 ideal miles doesn't work for us. GF dismissed the bolt due to that range, and I haven't even brought up an SR model 3. Her mom is 218 hilly miles from us and my parents are 238. Factor in bike rack, dogs, luggage we go from a trip we make many times a year without stopping to have to stop in a car that only gets 240 in ideal cases. Winter when range goes down mixed with peak holiday travel would mean a 3.5 hour stopless drive turns into many more hours if we have to wait for an open charge slot. 2 hours more on a 1400 mile trip reasonable. 2 hours more on a 3.5 hour trip not reasonable.



      I 100% agree for most people not regularly taking a trip at the edge of that range it's fine. We happen to be that weird case that range really makes a simple trip into a complicated one.


      My parents have a 220 outlet in their garage ( I wired for a welder years ago) and her mom has 220 available too (dryer in basement with garage access). If we can get there on a 300 mile range car near depletion Friday night we'd be able to leave by Sunday afternoon just fine. I did the math on her doing 110 at her mom's in the bolt assuming she'd have to stop each way for a boost in the middle and it just filled her up I think. She can commute all week on a 240 mile car though, which would be awesome for her to not worry about daily charging.

      Heck even something more reasonable like Burlington VT to Seaside Heights NJ is a difference of about 20 mins in charging.
      First time reasonable and a Jersey shore location have been used in the same sentence?

      Says guy who's next trip is Cape May...
      Last edited by chris86vw; 05-16-2019 at 11:54 AM.

    17. 05-16-2019 10:18 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by tommietank View Post


      here she is at home. What punny license plate should i get?
      stdrang

      Then there's this:
      https://markets.businessinsider.com/...9-5-1028200681
      Last edited by ice4life; 05-16-2019 at 10:20 AM.
      Current Vehicles
      2019 Volkswagen Jetta SEL-Premium
      2018 Dodge Journey Crossroad 4
      1990 Mercedes-Benz 500SL

    18. Member Tommietank's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 6th, 2009
      Location
      Burlington, VT
      Posts
      2,218
      Vehicles
      2017 BMW i3, 2018 Clarity, 2019 Model 3
      05-16-2019 10:45 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
      We fall into the weird use case that 240 ideal miles doesn't work for us. GF dismissed the bolt due to that range, and I haven't even brought up an SR model 3. Her mom is 218 hilly miles from us and my parents are 238. Factor in bike rack, dogs, luggage we go from a trip we make many times a year without stopping to have to stop in a car that only gets 240 in ideal cases. Winter when range goes down mixed with peak holiday travel would mean a 3.5 hour stopless drive turns into many more hours if we have to wait for an open charge slot. 2 hours more on a 1400 mile trip reasonable. 2 hours more on a 3.5 hour trip not reasonable.

      I 100% agree for most people not regularly taking a trip at the edge of that range it's fine. We happen to be that weird case that range really makes a simple trip into a complicated one.
      Interesting. Question though. Have you plugged your math into abetterrouteplaner.com or Tesla's Trip Planner? Without prying where your parents live, I mapped your profile listed town of Sheppardstown to Cape May, 230 miles. Using a standard range Model 3, you'd need to stop once at the Newark DE charger for 11 minutes. Call it 20 with all the extra weight. Seems reasonable but I understand not wanting to stop at all.

      https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?pla...6-b3a51594bac2


      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      Yea just as predicted. This is one reason I pulled the trigger when I did. I didnt think that base price would last forever. Combine that with the shrinking tax credit, it was the cheapest time to buy a lower trim Model 3. And as it turns out, it's still feature filled.
      Last edited by Tommietank; 05-16-2019 at 10:50 AM.
      Slow Car Fast

    19. Member Mike!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 17th, 2002
      Location
      Ontario & Ohio
      Posts
      19,645
      Vehicles
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      05-16-2019 10:52 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
      We fall into the weird use case that 240 ideal miles doesn't work for us. GF dismissed the bolt due to that range, and I haven't even brought up an SR model 3. Her mom is 218 hilly miles from us and my parents are 238. Factor in bike rack, dogs, luggage we go from a trip we make many times a year without stopping to have to stop in a car that only gets 240 in ideal cases. Winter when range goes down mixed with peak holiday travel would mean a 3.5 hour stopless drive turns into many more hours if we have to wait for an open charge slot. 2 hours more on a 1400 mile trip reasonable. 2 hours more on a 3.5 hour trip not reasonable.
      Is waiting for an open charge slot a thing in WV as opposed to a Bay Area urban charger though?

      Seems to me like a 20 minute top up at any one of 7 Superchargers in WV (or whichever other direction you're going) would cover off your use case. It's not like the Bolt where the charging rate is low and CCS stops are few and far between. 20 minutes is enough for a 50% range top-up on a Model 3 SR+.

    20. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2002
      Location
      Toronto, Ontario, Canada
      Posts
      6,901
      05-16-2019 11:23 AM #44
      What a great thread. Thank you, Tommietank, for sharing a real-life experience.

      We've been considering a smaller Kia Soul EV as a replacement to our daily driver but this thread is getting us to feel more confident that we might even be able to replace our primary full-size SUV with something like a Tesla X in the near future.

    21. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 23rd, 2000
      Location
      Shepherdstown, WV
      Posts
      22,158
      05-16-2019 11:53 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      Is waiting for an open charge slot a thing in WV as opposed to a Bay Area urban charger though?

      Seems to me like a 20 minute top up at any one of 7 Superchargers in WV (or whichever other direction you're going) would cover off your use case. It's not like the Bolt where the charging rate is low and CCS stops are few and far between. 20 minutes is enough for a 50% range top-up on a Model 3 SR+.
      My house is about a half mile from the MD border, after that for either of those trips we never touch WV again. Why make an ignorant assumption that we'd never be leaving the state to visit family, especially someone who shows two locations and likely isn't "from" both of them? Are you also some how mistaking me for someone anti EV?


      We would be traveling to pittsburgh and NJ, some trips BOTH. Fuel stations on the PA turnpike or just off 81/78 etc can have 20 minute waits for GAS during weekend travel. Don't touch the NJ turn on these trips but I've seen those backed up over 30 minutes. Just stopping for the last cheap gas in NJ (if we don't wait 20+ minutes at costco near my parents) on the way back home is usually at least 15 minute delay, an EV that required no stop at all would actually be an improvement.


      I realize my case isn't common. I replied to someone bolding that you DO NOT NEED more than that range, but that range actually significantly alters, in a negative way, 2 trips we make many times a year. He is correct we don't NEED that range.. but it makes a stopless trip into one with stops/delays.

    22. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 23rd, 2000
      Location
      Shepherdstown, WV
      Posts
      22,158
      05-16-2019 12:04 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post
      Interesting. Question though. Have you plugged your math into abetterrouteplaner.com or Tesla's Trip Planner? Without prying where your parents live, I mapped your profile listed town of Sheppardstown to Cape May, 230 miles. Using a standard range Model 3, you'd need to stop once at the Newark DE charger for 11 minutes. Call it 20 with all the extra weight. Seems reasonable but I understand not wanting to stop at all.

      https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?pla...6-b3a51594bac2

      Cape may will actually be going to my parents first which are in Piscataway NJ. We haven't done any calculators at this point since the GF isn't buying just yet (waiting until after july first for state car tax reasons ) She wants an EV but making it to her moms without stopping is one of her requirements, she refuses to pay for what a SR+ would be for a car, she thrifty.

      Again it isn't necessarily that stopping is bad, it is that right now we don't stop at all unless we really really have to on these two trips we do several times a year, a 3.5 hour trip doesn't require stops. A 20 minute delay is not BAD, but isn't something to ignore as far as our requirements go.


      Yes 2 hours on 1400 miles (Call it 20 hours of driving) isn't huge. But adding 1 hour on 7 hours of driving cuts into a quick weekend trip. I agree that you don't NEED more than that range, but you can't simply dismiss it for everyone because it worked in your single use case when I show it doesn't work for my single use case.

    23. Member Mike!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 17th, 2002
      Location
      Ontario & Ohio
      Posts
      19,645
      Vehicles
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      05-16-2019 12:23 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
      My house is about a half mile from the MD border, after that for either of those trips we never touch WV again. Why make an ignorant assumption that we'd never be leaving the state to visit family, especially someone who shows two locations and likely isn't "from" both of them? Are you also some how mistaking me for someone anti EV?


      We would be traveling to pittsburgh and NJ, some trips BOTH. Fuel stations on the PA turnpike or just off 81/78 etc can have 20 minute waits for GAS during weekend travel. Don't touch the NJ turn on these trips but I've seen those backed up over 30 minutes. Just stopping for the last cheap gas in NJ (if we don't wait 20+ minutes at costco near my parents) on the way back home is usually at least 15 minute delay, an EV that required no stop at all would actually be an improvement.


      I realize my case isn't common. I replied to someone bolding that you DO NOT NEED more than that range, but that range actually significantly alters, in a negative way, 2 trips we make many times a year. He is correct we don't NEED that range.. but it makes a stopless trip into one with stops/delays.
      "or whichever other direction you're going"
      I didn't assume ****. You didn't give any info outside of 200 miles and hilly, so I looked around for what you'd be up against.

      You hypothesized ("assumed," even?) that you'd be adding "hours" to a 3.5hr trip. I just don't see how that's possible in a Model 3, even the SR. I do see how it'd be possible in a Bolt.

      https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?pla...1-2d41e91852f1
      Shepherdstown to Pittsburgh is a 7min, $1.30 top-up off the Turnpike in an SR+ at an 8-stall Supercharger.

      https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?pla...c-ed3daf4a22b2
      Shepherdstown to Piscataway is a 12min, $3.15 top-up in DE at a 12-stall Supercharger.

      Pittsburgh to Piscataway is two turnpike stops.
      https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?pla...5-f9577a88791c
      ~45mins charging on a ~344mi ~6hr drive isn't a nonstop, no fillup drive, but not bad either. Doing it in one 17min stop in an LR is better, of course, but it doesn't make an SR+ outside your use case either.
      https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?pla...0-d8273ee3224b

      Just trying to be helpful in sharing how short and convenient the charging can be, since it seemed like you thought it would take longer than it actually will. I don't really think your use case is that uncommon. Lots of people take 4-8hr each way road trips a few times a year. I'm just impressed how convenient even a shorter-range Tesla is for that due to the Supercharger network and its speed.
      Last edited by Mike!; 05-16-2019 at 12:27 PM.

    24. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 23rd, 2000
      Location
      Shepherdstown, WV
      Posts
      22,158
      05-16-2019 12:40 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      ...ignorant rambling.
      Drive from far end of PA to NJ on a holiday weekend and let me know how those 7 minute charges go, you can't even get gas in 7 minutes on a friday evening non holiday weekend sometimes. I hate cite sanjosewhatever that Musk apparently fired but they can be HOURS just to get to the charge stall right now on busy weekends on busy routes. I'm traveling VERY busy routes on VERY busy weekends, so having to stop and charge is something I absolutely must consider.

      Shepherdstown to piscataway via Delaware is a 3-4 hour delay for traffic alone. There are places to stop on the route any sane person would take though, and the fact that site keeps showing routes through that part of MD and Delaware show some major flaws in their algorithms that I hope they work out. That site is probably responsible for murders and divorces.


      AGAIN all I did was point out that there ARE instances where over 240 miles of range do in fact make a HUGE difference in ones trip. So to simply say after a single trip over the course of many days that 2 hours is not a big deal, I'm pointing out that 240 miles of range can be a problem for some. I realize if I Say 300 miles is all I need that someone else might really need 350, so I'm not saying my need for 300 is all anyone needs either.

      I understand how quickly EVs can be charged, I understand there are charge stations. We wouldn't be considering a GAS car that only had 240 miles of range because of the trips we take frequently.

    25. Member Mike!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 17th, 2002
      Location
      Ontario & Ohio
      Posts
      19,645
      Vehicles
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      05-16-2019 12:55 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
      AGAIN all I did was point out that there ARE instances where over 240 miles of range do in fact make a HUGE difference in ones trip. So to simply say after a single trip over the course of many days that 2 hours is not a big deal, I'm pointing out that 240 miles of range can be a problem for some.
      You really haven't shown how 240 miles of range is a "problem" though, or a situation where 300 miles is a "need" instead of a "want." Or substantiated that there'll be lines for Tesla Superchargers at busy travel times at the places you're near just because there's lines for gas at the same time.

      What is the "HUGE" difference you're claiming exists?

      ...I actually have some examples in places I drive where there are Supercharger coverage gaps (Maine, Nova Scotia, etc.) where 300 miles truly does make a real difference over 240. I'm just not seeing what issue you're describing for your use case, which is in a well-covered area.

    26. Member The_Real_Stack's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 18th, 2016
      Location
      Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Posts
      1,206
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      05-16-2019 12:58 PM #50
      Cool thread.

      I was surprised, I was at Disney World last week, and when I went out to retrieve our rental car in the hotel parking lot, right near my car (so giant lot, small sample size) there were two Teslas, a Model X with MN plates and a Model 3 with CT plates. I was surprised a trip to Orlando was feasible for them in those cars, really cool to see.



      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      And you would want to charge overnight at 110V as it would take that long to get to a full charge.
      LOL, when I had a Model X for the weekend, charging overnight in my garage with 110 netted me like 10% of range, going from ~28% to ~38% (or 18% to 28%? I don't remember) overnight (~8PM - 9AM?) 110 charging is slooooowwwwww
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 57
      Last Post: 12-14-2009, 12:27 PM
    2. What car would Jay Leno take on a 3000 mile road trip??
      By Peloton25 in forum The Car Lounge
      Replies: 54
      Last Post: 08-17-2003, 08:19 PM
    3. Safe to drive my new 03 jetta 1.8T on a 1300 mile road trip?
      By nosoup4u in forum Golf IV & Jetta IV
      Replies: 34
      Last Post: 08-09-2003, 04:22 AM
    4. Just finished 1500 mile road trip... It's a much nicer ride than my 02 Jetta 1.8T.
      By Latex in forum GTI 337/20th Anniversary/Jetta GLI Forum
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 07-10-2003, 11:21 PM
    5. Replies: 12
      Last Post: 09-09-2002, 08:23 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •