VWVortex.com - Anti theft devices for the R
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Anti theft devices for the R

1. 05-11-2019 12:09 PM #1
      What is everyone using to protect their cars? I’ve watched how easy it is to hack the key fob. The club seems antiquated. Car alarms only annoy those nearby and don’t necessarily work to stop thieves.
      So I’m just curious what you all are using that is affective?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2016 LSG R 6MT/DCC/NAV
      05-11-2019 02:56 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by DesertRat47 View Post
      What is everyone using to protect their cars? I’ve watched how easy it is to hack the key fob. The club seems antiquated. Car alarms only annoy those nearby and don’t necessarily work to stop thieves.
      So I’m just curious what you all are using that is affective?
      i've always wanted to put this on my neighbor's car

https://www.amazon.com/Oanon-Wheel-C...pe=all_reviews

4. Member
      Vehicles
      1999 Passat gone 2008 R32 gone -2016 Golf R
      05-11-2019 03:52 PM #3
      A manual transmission.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R Tech/DSG
      05-11-2019 04:05 PM #4
      Insurance.

The fob isn't "easy to hack" by your average car thief and those that have the technology to pull it off (if it even exists commonly in the wild beyond click-bait news articles) aren't interested in an econobox like our cars.

Leave the anti-theft devices to old men with Toyota Echos (strangely, the most common car I see around here with a steering wheel lock).
      Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta Gti
      I lose brain cells coming in here everyday.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Golf R
      05-11-2019 04:54 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by isoprene View Post
      Insurance.
      +1

8. 05-11-2019 05:37 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Isoprene
      Insurance.
      This^

But because I believe the key fob is easy to hack. I'm under the impression the technology is widely available and affordable through DIY and 'Builder' supply shops. I bet the average car thief today knows more about hacking key-fobs than they do about bypassing key ignitions... I also believe most car thieves in my area are young, but I don't know that. Also park your car outside of range of your keyfob, if your keyfob is out of range I think they have to use more brute force hacking methods that require more time.

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R Tech/DSG
      05-11-2019 07:16 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by jakeyjohn1 View Post
      Also park your car outside of range of your keyfob, if your keyfob is out of range I think they have to use more brute force hacking methods that require more time.
      If one is concerned about the technique hyped by the media which is the RFID repeater method then just keep your fobs in a small metal container at home. Something as simple as tinfoil will block the signal (I wrap a key in tinfoil and hide it in my car when I go on road trips in case I lose my primary key).
      Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta Gti
      I lose brain cells coming in here everyday.

Vehicles
      '18 Golf R DSG DBP
      05-11-2019 07:58 PM #8
      I keep my key fob in this after I lock the car. It does theoretically leave a window where they could grab it as I'm getting out of the car, but short of me putting it in there after I drive off there's not any other way. Plus if you do that, you can't lock the doors when you turn the car off since it won't let you lock yourself out. I used to think the car wouldn't let you drive off without the fob, but I think I did something accidentally once without it there and it didn't stop anything which greatly disappointed me. What happened to cars that if you don't have the fob and hop in and try to put it in gear it prevents you or just turns the car off?

If anyone wants to buy that RFID blocker, just beware that it's kind of big. I thought it was going to be like the size of my fob but it's big enough that my guess is they intended you to stick your whole wad of keys in there. Either way, tested thoroughly and that one works well. Besides that, eh that's about it. Some of the alarm systems do have the cutoff if so concerned. I wanted one to replace that terrible factory alarm, while admittedly who knows how effective they really are the factory panic (and I presume this is what goes off if you try to get the door open without the key) is so overly polite unless you visually saw it you'd never even hear it.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2107 Golf R, DSG
      05-11-2019 08:33 PM #9
      Autowatch Ghost probably is the most foolproof but unfortunately not sold here in the US:

https://www.autowatch.co.uk/veh-sec/ghost-2-menu

Vehicles
      '18 Golf R DSG DBP
      05-11-2019 09:25 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by MDLBC View Post
      Autowatch Ghost probably is the most foolproof but unfortunately not sold here in the US:

https://www.autowatch.co.uk/veh-sec/ghost-2-menu
      Mk7's have a much higher theft problem in the UK though, no? Not saying it wouldn't be nice, but probably why it's offered there and not here.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2107 Golf R, DSG
      05-11-2019 09:28 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by EvilR View Post
      Mk7's have a much higher theft problem in the UK though, no? Not saying it wouldn't be nice, but probably why it's offered there and not here.
      Agreed. Just having a hatchback is probably all of the protection we need (and a manual).

Vehicles
      '18 Golf R DSG DBP
      05-11-2019 11:02 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by MDLBC View Post
      Agreed. Just having a hatchback is probably all of the protection we need (and a manual).
      Yeah, seems hatchbacks aren't the usual targets here. I don't think most car thieves are looking for specific cars, just whatever is easiest to take.
      https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorz.../#7365a3995258

Of the cars listed there, most are run of the mill and a lot of them are older. Even for newer, it's lots of super popular cars. I figure most car thieves aren't going to spend time learning how to steal a car they're unlikely to come across when they can find a dozen F-150s, Civics, or Altimas instead. And of the overall stats, I bet 50% are from the the owners being idiots and leaving their keys in the car or something. Locally, every time the police report car break ins it's people pulling door handles and the car owner not leaving their doors locked...wouldn't call that breaking in personally. And some leave their damn key in the glove box or something...I had an F-150 previously, with that door code on the side you could in theory leave your key in the thing and just lock and unlock it that way but it's such a stupid lazy thing to do and lets people steal the thing easily since the fob is in the car. I had a reinforced lockbox conversion with a combination lock in my center console to keep valuables safe in case someone broke into the truck since it was high risk.

If your car is not as popular or a manual, they're deterrents. Also not leaving valuables visible or any signs you have something worth breaking in to steal. Some woman left her wallet in her Land Rover and was shocked someone broke out the window and took it. Some people are just not smart enough for their own good. Does make me curious what the true theft stats are, of the fob hackers and hotwire kind.

15. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Golf R
      05-12-2019 05:33 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Urlik View Post
      A manual transmission.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wApqm7VYlno

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Golf R, 2012 GTI Autobahn
      05-12-2019 09:12 AM #14
      I don't know about the Mk7, but the Mk7.5 has a clever and effective security feature - if you lock the door with the fob, then tap the dimple on the door handle the car will only unlock with the fob.
      Last edited by AquilaTDI; 05-12-2019 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Spelling

Vehicles
      17 Civic LX, 16 Golf R, 91 B2600i
      05-12-2019 09:37 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Urlik View Post
      A manual transmission.
      QFT

The flip side being....
      Man killed because carjacker is mad over manual transmission

Which is nicely balanced out by all of the hits you get when googling manual transmission thwarts or similar.....I recall one Jalopnik reported on.

Dinsmore said she threw her car in neutral at an intersection, opened the driver's side door and jumped out.
      If you are going at a speed that causes you to run off the road before ESC can provide any assistance, you may not experience the benefits of ESC

18. Member
      05-12-2019 09:53 AM #16
      Every car has a high theft rate in the UK. I swear I hear of 1 or 2 R or RS being stolen every week via the Facebook pages.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 VW MKIV Golf Gti 1.8T
      05-13-2019 10:40 PM #17
      I've had a Ravelco anti-theft device the past 10 yrs. It's a mechanical device, so don't have to worry hacking. Installer will come wherever you want to have it installed. Takes around 7hrs but if you look in your engine compartment youll never guess where it is attached to.

www.ravelco.com

20. 05-14-2019 12:05 PM #18
      Unfortunately this is true. The criminals usually break into peoples houses and get the keys. We are not lucky enough to be allowed guns. :-( Autowatch Ghost is popular among performance car owners but for some reason it is not certified so insurance companies won't lower our premiums. Old style steering wheel locks will hopefully make the criminals look for easier pickings.