Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Not detecting HD AM stations

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Tiguan SEL-P
      05-13-2019 08:39 AM #1
      The radio detects HD FM stations but not HD AM. I'm sure there is at least one station in my area (WBZ Boston 1030) that broadcasts in HD. I checked the settings and the box to enable HD is checked for AM. With FM, the HD icon on the top left is shown all the time but only lit for HD stations. With AM the icon is not shown at all. I tried a rescan of local stations a couple of times with no change. I cannot determine if no AM station is broadcasting in HD, the HD AM signal is just not strong enough, or if there is a defect in the infotainment system. Anybody observed this or have a suggestion?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 05-13-2019 09:19 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by noka648 View Post
      The radio detects HD FM stations but not HD AM. I'm sure there is at least one station in my area (WBZ Boston 1030) that broadcasts in HD. I checked the settings and the box to enable HD is checked for AM. With FM, the HD icon on the top left is shown all the time but only lit for HD stations. With AM the icon is not shown at all. I tried a rescan of local stations a couple of times with no change. I cannot determine if no AM station is broadcasting in HD, the HD AM signal is just not strong enough, or if there is a defect in the infotainment system. Anybody observed this or have a suggestion?
      I'd say the best way to get the answer is to call the station itself but in the brief research I did on AM-HD is that no-one really bother and when they do the technology of AM broadcasting doesn't really allow for any significant difference between normal and HD. AM stations usually also use a sub-channel of a related FM broadcast station.
      This appears to be the case with WBZ and they use the FM 1079.9 HD sub-channel HD-2 for their alternate feed.

https://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bi...line_id=n35014
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WBZ_(AM)

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Tiguan SEL-P
      05-13-2019 10:43 AM #3
      Calling the station is not helping yet, since I cannot reach anyone who might know. I remember getting the HD AM signal on my previous car, although I do remember it would go in and out quite frequently. Nevertheless, when it did receive HD AM, the audio quality was noticeably better.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Tiguan Highline
      05-13-2019 10:59 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by noka648 View Post
      Calling the station is not helping yet, since I cannot reach anyone who might know. I remember getting the HD AM signal on my previous car, although I do remember it would go in and out quite frequently. Nevertheless, when it did receive HD AM, the audio quality was noticeably better.
      In my experience, the range on HD AM is limited. I could only pick up one (sometimes) in my previous vehicle, so I don't even bother at this point.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Tiguan SEL-P
      05-13-2019 11:07 AM #5
      Understood and there are far fewer AM HD stations compared to FM HD. I was just trying to determine if there was a defect or not. Otherwise, I don't really care. I wouldn't be very happy if AM HD started to take off and I had a defective radio that I could have had fixed under warranty. I guess it wouldn't be an easy thing to test unless I had a known good signal to inject .

8. 05-13-2019 12:41 PM #6
      I live in a "major market" and I am able to pick up AM HD, but only for very limited times in limited areas.

There is nothing really noteworthy about AM HD. It does have a moderately better sound (due to the codec used), but because the bandwidth is so tight sound quality is not as good as that of the HD FM side and you will likely not be getting any Station ID or metadata transmissions either.

I wouldn't be very happy if AM HD started to take off
      I don't think this will ever be an issue.