VWVortex.com - Anybody ever lock their keys in their car?!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody ever lock their keys in their car?!

1. 05-13-2019 09:29 AM #1
      It happened to me, which I didn't think was possible. I was getting done with a photoshoot and had the key in my bag. I walked near the back of my car, opened the hatch and put the bag in the back then closed the hatch. I proceeded to talk to my client and about two minutes later the horn beeped indicating it had locked. I then went over to my driver side door to put my hands in the handle to unlock with no success. I ended up calling the police to break in my car. Lesson learned: You CAN lock your keys in your car even with a push button start.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 05-13-2019 09:31 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Xandernfs View Post
      It happened to me, which I didn't think was possible. I was getting done with a photoshoot and had the key in my bag. I walked near the back of my car, opened the hatch and put the bag in the back then closed the hatch. I proceeded to talk to my client and about two minutes later the horn beeped indicating it had locked. I then went over to my driver side door to put my hands in the handle to unlock with no success. I ended up calling the police to break in my car. Lesson learned: You CAN lock your keys in your car even with a push button start.
      I disabled the Automatic Lock in the car section of the infotainment screen. Now the car will not lock without me locking it first!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 .:R
      05-13-2019 09:46 AM #3
      That’s why I use car-net! Unlock from any device.

2016 Oryx White Mk7 Golf R -- Built motor 586whp/487wtq/CTS BOSS600/PrecisionRW MPI w/ 1300cc injectors/IMS LPFP/UM DSG-ECU-Haldex/AWE DP & Uni IC/SuperSprint Exhaust/VWR600 Intake/FluidAmpr

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 05-13-2019 09:49 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by soulrider4ever View Post

To each their own. I removed that ****er the first day I got the car! I never want a black box in my car(s).

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Golf R
      05-13-2019 09:53 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by soulrider4ever View Post

Fug dat. I'd rather call someone to get the thing broken into.

8. 05-13-2019 10:08 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by zllekk View Post
      To each their own. I removed that ****er the first day I got the car! I never want a black box in my car(s).

How did you remove our disable it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9. 05-13-2019 10:12 AM #7
      I disabled the Automatic Lock in the car section of the infotainment screen. Now the car will not lock without me locking it first!

Ooo, good tip!

But, if you have already locked your car and you go around to the back, open the hatch (which doed not unlock Any doors) throw your keys in the trunk and close it, it auto locks instantly.

I'm pretty sure I did the same thing as the OP, I just happened to be home with my spare set.

10. 05-13-2019 10:12 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by KsR_808 View Post
      How did you remove our disable it?

I randomly came across a post here or on another forum a month before I took delivery and knew I wanted get this out. You do lose functionality of the in the car! Search is your friend.

11. 05-13-2019 10:19 AM #9
      I randomly came across a post here or on another forum a month before I took delivery and knew I wanted get this out. You do lose functionality of the in the car! Search is your friend.

Are you afraid VW / CarNet is reporting your driving to the authorities?

Not judging, just curious as I have had several cops come out of no where with lights on after I had a little fun. By the time they got to me I was going slow, so all 4 times they just shut thier lights off and slowed down after they passed me. I feel like it's too much of a coincidence. I'm wondering if one of my GPS devices is reporting me.

12. 05-13-2019 10:40 AM #10

Are you afraid VW / CarNet is reporting your driving to the authorities?

Not judging, just curious as I have had several cops come out of no where with lights on after I had a little fun. By the time they got to me I was going slow, so all 4 times they just shut thier lights off and slowed down after they passed me. I feel like it's too much of a coincidence. I'm wondering if one of my GPS devices is reporting me.

No not all. I just don’t like the tech! I am not a conspiracy theorist. It’s literally a black box recorder right behind the digital cockpit! Its more like an after the fact piece of tech.

13. 05-13-2019 10:41 AM #11
      No not all. I just don’t like the tech! I am not a conspiracy theorist. It’s literally a black box recorder right behind the digital cockpit! Its more like an after the fact piece of tech.

Ahh ok. I am. LOL. Tin foil helmet on.

14. Member
      05-13-2019 10:41 AM #12
      stupid question, but since your bag with the keys in it were in the rear hatch. Why didn't you just open the rear hatch?
      It would have been closest to that opening thinking the keys were on you, much like how if your passenger tries unlocking their door even though are standing beside the drivers side door - theirs wont unlock

15. 05-13-2019 10:44 AM #13
      Ahh ok. I am. LOL. Tin foil helmet on.

Haha I won’t judge ya

16. 05-13-2019 10:44 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy_H View Post
      stupid question, but since your bag with the keys in it were in the rear hatch. Why didn't you just open the rear hatch?
      It would have been closest to that opening thinking the keys were on you, much like how if your passenger tries unlocking their door even though are standing beside the drivers side door - theirs wont unlock
      He probably did. Keys need to show up as outside the perimeter of the car.

Think about it this way... Your in your car with your key. Car is off and locked. Do you want a serial killer to be able to open your door and stab you 76 times? I didn't think so.

Key needs to be OUTSIDE the car to unlock it. Safety reasons.

17. 05-13-2019 11:15 AM #15

You'd think that opening the hatch would be the obvious choice. Every door was locked, including the hatch.

Vehicles
      2018 Golf R
      05-13-2019 04:35 PM #16
      You'd think that opening the hatch would be the obvious choice. Every door was locked, including the hatch.
      I'm going to have to try this tonight because I've thrown my jacket (with keys) into the hatch many times, even when the car locks - and I think all is lost - the moment I pull the VW logo, the lights flash and the hatch opens.
      To be clear, so I can recreate this scenario - with a spare key available to me (but far away in the house) - your car was locked (for some time like during your photo shoot), then you walked up to your hatch and pulled the logo to open the hatch (never touching your keys or unlocking the doors), tossed your bag in the hatch, closed the hatch, and walked away?
      If that's true then the programming of your car might be different, because in the scenario I described above, my car won't lock itself - it'll flash when I close my hatch but I can always open it again by pulling the logo (the rest of the car does remain locked).
      2018 Golf R | Indium Grey Metallic
      Website | Instagram | Photo Album

19. 05-13-2019 04:39 PM #17
      You should have got one of these...

https://youtu.be/U9IhrMExnzM

20. 05-14-2019 05:15 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by gcmak View Post
      I'm going to have to try this tonight because I've thrown my jacket (with keys) into the hatch many times, even when the car locks - and I think all is lost - the moment I pull the VW logo, the lights flash and the hatch opens.
      To be clear, so I can recreate this scenario - with a spare key available to me (but far away in the house) - your car was locked (for some time like during your photo shoot), then you walked up to your hatch and pulled the logo to open the hatch (never touching your keys or unlocking the doors), tossed your bag in the hatch, closed the hatch, and walked away?
      If that's true then the programming of your car might be different, because in the scenario I described above, my car won't lock itself - it'll flash when I close my hatch but I can always open it again by pulling the logo (the rest of the car does remain locked).
      I agree with you , mine does the same thing. I can lock the doors and put the key in the truck and still be able to open the hatch but not the doors. He must have different settings.

21. Member
      05-14-2019 10:23 AM #19
      He probably did. Keys need to show up as outside the perimeter of the car.

Think about it this way... Your in your car with your key. Car is off and locked. Do you want a serial killer to be able to open your door and stab you 76 times? I didn't think so.

Key needs to be OUTSIDE the car to unlock it. Safety reasons.

how does it know it's outside vs inside? are the doors made of lead?

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Golf R
      05-14-2019 11:06 AM #20
      Same way triangulation works with A-GPS on cell phones. There is an array of sensors that can triangulate a fob. This technology has been around for years, maybe even decades.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 .:R, '14 Q5 TDI S-Line
      05-14-2019 11:18 AM #21
      I've locked my keys in the trunk before. Had keys in my golf bag. Opened the hatch, tossed my bag in, closed it and it beeped indicating that it locked. Had I opened my car door first the trunk wouldn't have automatically locked.

24. 05-14-2019 11:21 AM #22
      Good tip, I honestly assumed it wouldn't be able to lock like that.

I'm a carnet user though thankfully. No tin foil hat here.

Vehicles
      GTI
      05-14-2019 12:36 PM #23

The ECU also records the latest data in the event of an accident so there is still a record of what happened if something bad was to occur.

Also for the other poster Car-Net doesn't send any data back to authorities if you are speeding if they did you would have to agree to that in the TOS and also they could just mail you tickets all day long.

Vehicles
      2018 Golf R
      05-14-2019 10:14 PM #24
      OK so I've tested it and recorded the results (sorry I'm not good at this and don't have my gimbal haha).
      I've confirmed we can indeed lock our keys in our cars...if you keep the setting to "Lock Automatically" turned on.
      Video: https://cloud.box.com/s/kug8izz55eeq...3p8aaadgi2i6g2
      2018 Golf R | Indium Grey Metallic
      Website | Instagram | Photo Album

27. 05-15-2019 02:51 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by idriveastick View Post
      Same way triangulation works with A-GPS on cell phones. There is an array of sensors that can triangulate a fob. This technology has been around for years, maybe even decades.
      ^ That.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast