VWVortex.com - #MondayMotivation : Amazon saids 'Quit your job and we'll help you start delivery business'...
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

View Poll Results: Amazon saids 'Quit your job and we'll help you start delivery business'...WOOD YOU?

Voters
    27. You may not vote on this poll
    • No, I WOOD not.

17 62.96%
    • Yes, I totally WOOD.

3 11.11%
    • Yes, but only as a second job...

4 14.81%
    • I have another way this will backfire...

2 7.41%
    • Does this mean you'll deliver my package in your S3, Uber Wagon?

1 3.70%
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: #MondayMotivation : Amazon saids 'Quit your job and we'll help you start delivery business'...

Vehicles
      Audi S3, BMW 3er GT, BMW X3, and a Toyota Appiiance
      05-13-2019 11:44 AM #1

NEW YORK (AP) — Amazon, which is racing to deliver packages faster, is turning to its employees with a proposition: Quit your job and we'll help you start a business delivering Amazon packages.

The offer, announced Monday, comes as Amazon seeks to speed up its shipping time from two days to one for its Prime members. The company sees the new incentive as a way to get more packages delivered to shoppers' doorsteps faster.

Amazon says it will cover up to $10,000 in startup costs for employees who are accepted into the program and leave their jobs. The company says it will also pay them three months' worth of their salary.

The offer is open to most part-time and full-time Amazon employees, including warehouse workers who pack and ship orders. Whole Foods employees are not eligible to receive the new incentives.

Seattle-based Amazon.com Inc. declined to say how many employees it expects to take them up on the offer.

The new employee incentive is part of a program Amazon started a year ago that let anyone apply to launch an independent Amazon delivery business and provided $10,000 in reimbursements to military veterans.

The program's expansion is part of the company's plan to control more of its deliveries on its own, rather than rely on UPS, the post office and other carriers. Startup costs start at $10,000 and contractors that participate are able to lease blue vans with the Amazon smile logo stamped on the side.

Overall, more than 200 Amazon delivery businesses have been created since it launched the program last June, said John Felton, Amazon's vice president of global delivery services.

One of them is run Milton Collier, a freight broker who started his business in Atlanta about eight months ago. Since then, it has grown to 120 employees with a fleet of 50 vans that can handle up to 200 delivery stops in a day. It has already been preparing for the one-day shipping switch by hiring more people.

"We're ready," says Collier.
      Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

05-13-2019 11:46 AM #2
      saids

Vehicles
      Present: 991.1 GT3 Past: ND MX-5, GVB STI
      05-13-2019 11:56 AM #3
      I mean, this is an opportunity for those that are looking for work.

I've been seeing lots of these type of delivery persons lately; lot of them are young folks, too.

Vehicles
      2006 Ford Fusion 2.3 Turbo, 2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid
      05-13-2019 12:54 PM #4
      $10,000 to start your own delivery business. To become a 3rd party contractor to Amazon, so you are responsible for your own healthcare and 401k, and not Amazon.

In order for this to be a deal, you would have to be working somewhere that doesn't give you those basic benefits, so you wouldn't be missing them.

Granted, this is a better deal than Flex, but 10k to get going with a fleet in 3 months seems rough.
      Last edited by Egz; 05-13-2019 at 12:58 PM.

6. 05-13-2019 01:03 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Egz View Post
      ... To become a 3rd party contractor to Amazon, so you are responsible for your own healthcare and 401k, and not Amazon.
      THIS... how long until Amazon "independent contractors" strike?

IG: nogripracing

Vehicles
      2002 VW Golf, 1996 BMW 328i
      05-13-2019 01:05 PM #6
      In order for this to be a deal, you would have to be working somewhere that doesn't give you those basic benefits, so you wouldn't be missing them.
      It seems like the job you have to quit would already be with Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by article
      The offer is open to most part-time and full-time Amazon employees, including warehouse workers who pack and ship orders. Whole Foods employees are not eligible to receive the new incentives.

Vehicles
      2009 Nissan GT-R, 2017 Porsche Cayenne S
      05-13-2019 01:07 PM #7
      Oh boy, it has always been my dream to become a UPS driver.

/s
      DWA since 1999

05-13-2019 02:48 PM #8
      $10,000 to start your own delivery business. To become a 3rd party contractor to Amazon, so you are responsible for your own healthcare and 401k, and not Amazon.
      Don't forget all these other great benefits of being an Amazon independent contractor:
      • No paid sick time
      • No paid vacation time
      • Working overtime without pay
      • Having to source and pay for your own business insurance
      • Having to pay a CPA to file your business taxes or learn how to do business taxes yourself
      • Paying an extra 7.65% of your income in SS & Medicare taxes
      • No workers comp if you get hurt at work

Sign me right up!

Honestly though, this is the human cost of the race to the bottom that Amazon is pushing for.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 S2K, '18 GSW, '18 CX5 GT
      05-13-2019 05:19 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by NoGrip61 View Post
      THIS... how long until Amazon "independent contractors" strike?
      Won't take long. Then they'll all be unemployed and broke once the drone delivery is perfected.

I also foresee a court case in which amazon gets sued for firing an independent delivery contractor for carrying packages for another business.
      Expose your cracks and love will fill them.

11. Nobody messes with me. Not. 😂 ChillOutPossum's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra, '88 Mitsubishi Jeep CJ3B
      05-13-2019 05:22 PM #10
      Not that I really care about the little people, but not shopping with Amazon HAS let me sleep better at night.

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Vehicles
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 17 Escape, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      05-13-2019 08:56 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Nubbin View Post

/s
      According to our old UPS delivery guy in CT (last saw him 7 years ago) they make quite good money and have really good benefits. It may not be a dream job but for someone with just a high school education it probably can be pretty good.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 MINI R55S; 2018 Mazda CX-5 GT
      05-13-2019 09:19 PM #12

Granted, this is a better deal than Flex, but 10k to get going with a fleet in 3 months seems rough.
      It's still awfully ****ty of them. Basically trying to turn their delivery workforce into contractors relieving themselves of having to deal with niggling things like "workers benefits" with start up money as the carrot, while that lost cost is probably a fraction what they would have to pay in actual benefits to a equivalent job to your average mail carrier or UPS/Fed Ex delivery driver.

Vehicles
      15 Rav4
      05-13-2019 10:29 PM #13
      Very tempting to become a slave of Bezos, but do they let you make left turns?
      test test Maki says "hello"

05-13-2019 11:27 PM #14
      I guess it is better then getting RIF from Amazon, but hell no I don't want to be a independent freight shipper. Your entire livelihood rests on your delivery metrics, and a situation out of your control could see you not only fired, but stuck with a delivery truck loan.

If Amazon wants to replace USPS, and Fed Ex , they have the money to do it right, and hire people to do it.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 MINI R55S; 2018 Mazda CX-5 GT
      05-14-2019 12:33 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      Very tempting to become a slave of Bezos, but do they let you make left turns?

17. Member
      Vehicles
      05-14-2019 06:11 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Nubbin View Post

/s
      Union. Great benefits. Easy to transition from driver to management if you have the right disposition. Holiday season overtime gets many tenured drivers easily into 6 figures. You could do worse

18. Member
      Vehicles
      05-14-2019 06:21 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by HI SPEED View Post

If Amazon wants to replace USPS, and Fed Ex , they have the money to do it right, and hire people to do it.
      Will never happen. They don't want the benefits overhead to "do it right". They've plucked some management from ups, but ups drivers aren't leaving their union protection to work for bezos.

Fedex ground is independent contractors. Some of those companies with established fleets have switched.

Amazon already negotiated the lowest rates usps and ups have ever offered to any customer. Every year they want lower rates and more volume via air. Then they turn around and say "not good enough anymore".

19. 05-14-2019 08:17 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      Honestly though, this is the human cost of the race to the bottom that Amazon is pushing for.
      Why I don't use Amazon for anything summed up neatly enough.
      Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kirk, The Final Frontier
      Damn it, Bones, you're a doctor. You know that pain and guilt can't be taken away with a wave of a magic wand. They're the things we carry with us, the things that make us who we are. If we lose them, we lose ourselves. I don't want my pain taken away. I need my pain.
      Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Cat!!!! View Post
      Ban GHB

Vehicles
      2015 Passat "Limited Edition"
      05-14-2019 08:36 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by MAC View Post
      Will never happen. They don't want the benefits overhead to "do it right". They've plucked some management from ups, but ups drivers aren't leaving their union protection to work for bezos.

Fedex ground is independent contractors. Some of those companies with established fleets have switched.

Amazon already negotiated the lowest rates usps and ups have ever offered to any customer. Every year they want lower rates and more volume via air. Then they turn around and say "not good enough anymore".
      Not much different than companies like WalMart and Target: "we will buy 8,000 cases of widgets a month, we will pay $X per case freight paid, you figure out how to make the numbers work."

Vehicles
      2019 VW Atlas SEL R-Line, 2000 911 Carrera, 2005 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro
      05-14-2019 09:15 AM #20
      Amazon. Great company to own stock in. Terrible company to work for.

Vehicles
      2018 Golf R, '96 993
      05-14-2019 10:40 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
      Not much different than companies like WalMart and Target: "we will buy 8,000 cases of widgets a month, we will pay $X per case freight paid, you figure out how to make the numbers work."

This, you should read about Walmart and Vlasic's gallon jar of pickles. https://www.fastcompany.com/47593/wa...-you-dont-know
      2018 Golf R , '96 993
      past:2004 Passat 4Mo, 1.8T, stick
      '96 Audi S6, forced to sell, F. U. nh emissions
      '87 VW Quantum syncro wagon, got me into quattro,
      '85 GTI, 17 yrs , 280k miles, '75 Nova (first car)

05-14-2019 11:37 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
      "Fallacy of relative privation (also known as "appeal to worse problems" or "not as bad as") – dismissing an argument or complaint due to the existence of more important problems in the world, regardless of whether those problems bear relevance to the initial argument. First World problems are a subset of this fallacy"

Just because retail is tough doesn't mean we should give Amazon a free pass to engage in practices that are harmful to workers. Even Walmart and Target employees get better treatment than Amazon in fact, because those employees are paid hourly, get sick time, are covered by workers comp if they get hurt at work, may be eligible for benefits, and the company pays their half of the 7.65% SS/Med tax which an Amazon independent contractor has to pay on their own. Honestly, I think Amazon is just treating their customers well and using that good image to basically be the Avon lady, convincing an endless number of people that they need to run their own small business without telling them the reality of how hard and how low paying it's going to be.

What Amazon is doing to its workers, or sorry - "independent contractors" - is objectively worse for workers than being an employee at Walmart or Target.

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Vehicles
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 17 Escape, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      05-14-2019 11:40 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      "Fallacy of relative privation (also known as "appeal to worse problems" or "not as bad as") – dismissing an argument or complaint due to the existence of more important problems in the world, regardless of whether those problems bear relevance to the initial argument. First World problems are a subset of this fallacy"

Just because retail is tough doesn't mean we should give Amazon a free pass to engage in practices that are harmful to workers. Even Walmart and Target employees get better treatment than Amazon in fact, because those employees are paid hourly, get sick time, are covered by workers comp if they get hurt at work, may be eligible for benefits, and the company pays their half of the 7.65% SS/Med tax which an Amazon independent contractor has to pay on their own. Honestly, I think Amazon is just treating their customers well and using that good image to basically be the Avon lady, convincing an endless number of people that they need to run their own small business without telling them the reality of how hard and how low paying it's going to be.

What Amazon is doing to its workers, or sorry - "independent contractors" - is objectively worse for workers than being an employee at Walmart or Target.
      Gig economy. That is what it is today.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI SE
      05-14-2019 12:49 PM #24
      I know a fair amount of people who are part of the "side hustle" economy.
      I'm sure that most of them would want one good paying job with benefits, but a lot also enjoy the flexibility of the side hustle life.
      I think bartenders, who make most of their money Thurs-Saturday nights would be extremely well suited for this sort of thing.
      It also seems to be a perfect alternative revenue stream for Uber/Lyft drivers.
      This would also be good for someone who wants to start their own business AND gets medical bennies from their spouse.

Vehicles
      LS & Bags...
      05-14-2019 01:00 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by masa8888 View Post
      Amazon. Great company to own stock in. Terrible company to work for.
      /thread.

pretty much the truth. im on the stock side, so im biased.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast