Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: Cars that changed your opinion

Vehicles
      Riced BMW, P71
      05-13-2019 07:20 PM #1
      I've always been against front wheel drive. All my vehicles have been all or rear wheel drive, and the only fwd experience I had was in a base model mk6 jetta, and a 2018 Civic Si. Neither car turned my opinion around. However, last weekend I helped install coilovers on my friend's friend's Acura RSX Type-S, and I got a turn behind the wheel. Great car, a ton of fun, kinda quick. I'm not sure I would like it at the limit on a track, but for street purposes it was a blast.
      What cars turned your biases around?

(We raised the coilovers to a reasonable height after this picture)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      1962 Lincoln Continental
      05-13-2019 07:33 PM #2
      A 6 speed manual mini cooper s. I always thought they were such silly little boutique cars that likely weren't that fun to drive. I was incredibly wrong. TONS of fun at legal speeds in that thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by uncleho
      Before you take the tact of denigrating a group, you should empathize with the situation/history and understand the facts. It might not make for great debate on forums, but it helps with personal awareness.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie
      Empathy isn't hard. You don't have to feel what other people feel to be understanding or trust that not everyone has the same perspective.

Vehicles
      2005 Corvette Z71, 1998 Corvette
      05-13-2019 07:43 PM #3
      Miata

Thought I was into girls but I drove one and found out I wasn't
      Instagram: calederoo

#FREEPATRIKMAN

5. Member
      Vehicles
      E46M3,E60M5,E821M,F80M3CS,GT4
      05-13-2019 07:50 PM #4
      Some context first. From the early 60's to 1994 or so car imports were not allowed in Mexico. This meant that for many years the only brands available were Chevrolet, Chrysler, VW, Nissan and Ford because they manufactured locally. And with a limited model selection.

Born in '73, I grew up in a world where the most luxurious ride was a Ford "Grand Marquis". And the "sports cars" were things like a Dodge Shadow, a Thunderbird or a semi-castrated GTI.

Enter BMW. My dad got work at the firs importer. I knew next to nothing about the brand. Suddenly, the E36 325i was on offer here. At prives that the local market had never seen. Here was a compact car costing 2X or more than the previous "top luxury". Or 3-4x more than a VW Jetta.

I had been a Mooar fan all my life. And had some love for VW having had an '86 Jetta (called Atlantic here).

So my first thoughts on the 3 series was that it was a ludicrously overpriced Jetta. I didn't care much for it.

One day, my dad brings home a 325i. I beg for the keys and he lent it to me.

Took it out an entire afternoon.

After driving it, let's say I was impressed. I remember how I told my dad: this car is worth every penny. It was an eye opening experience after all the crap I had been driving for years.

Right then and there I was converted to BMW fandom that lasts to this day.
      ///M Fanatic
      '05 E46 M3 6SPD, '08 E60 M5 SMG, '11 E82 1M 6SPD, '16 GT4, '18 F80 M3 CS

Vehicles
      M44/40F20CS65
      05-13-2019 08:14 PM #5
      The Model S is the most recent one. It's not that I didn't like EVs or the concept of EVs, but I came into it thinking it's more of a golf cart, but the amount of torque compared to other EVs was impressive. And then low CG and lack of body roll was really impressive.

Vehicles
      1998 Cabrio | 2001 M3
      05-13-2019 08:34 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by MexicoCityM View Post
      Born in '73, I grew up in a world where the most luxurious ride was a Ford "Grand Marquis". And the "sports cars" were things like a Dodge Shadow, a Thunderbird or a semi-castrated GTI.
      Haha. My friend is a little older than you and he is from Cuauhtémoc but he says the same thing. A "real rich" family he worked for had an LTD that most could only dream of.

8. Nobody messes with me. Not. 😂 ChillOutPossum's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra, '88 Mitsubishi Jeep CJ3B
      05-13-2019 08:36 PM #7
      I used to think Mitsubishis were lame. Then I bought a Jeep.

9. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      05-13-2019 08:47 PM #8
      Bangkok taxis which are almost exclusively 10+ year old Toyota Corollas gave me a new respect for the car. If a Corolla can survive that long as a taxi in Thailand given the extreme weather, harsh roads, and questionable maintenance, they can survive anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

10. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      05-13-2019 08:48 PM #9
      From the time I got my learners permit I only drove RWD cars. Learned how to drive hard in RWD cars. Hated FWD cars, even though my only real experience with them was Gran Turismo, or taking my sisters Acura Legend around.

Then I drove this (stole the image but same car):

LOVED IT! I had such a blast throwing that thing down my favorite road. Had to learn how to move FWD cars around, but holy crap that little car was amazing. Overcook entry, trail brake, get the tail to come around, and then hammer the gas.

I learned that don't trash talk a car, or even worse, a drivetrain before driving it. I'm just glad that 18 year old me wasn't stubborn enough to change his ways. I had so much fun driving it that I ended up buying one.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Vehicles
      16v I4, Supercharged V6, Gas drinking V8, High revving V10
      05-13-2019 10:02 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by CaleDeRoo View Post
      Miata

Thought I was into girls but I drove one and found out I wasn't
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      E46M3,E60M5,E821M,F80M3CS,GT4
      05-13-2019 10:15 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by cityjohn View Post
      Haha. My friend is a little older than you and he is from Cuauhtémoc but he says the same thing. A "real rich" family he worked for had an LTD that most could only dream of.
      LTD was baller lol.
      ///M Fanatic
      '05 E46 M3 6SPD, '08 E60 M5 SMG, '11 E82 1M 6SPD, '16 GT4, '18 F80 M3 CS

Vehicles
      2016 VW GTI-S 4-door MT LP
      05-13-2019 10:36 PM #12
      A MK4 Jetta VR6, and golf III, made me a convert from a Honda fan in my teen years.

The S-197 Mustang made me fall in love with the idea of a muscle car. Owning one changed that for me (just wasn’t practical enough for me - shocker I know) I sold it in 6 months, after the initial thrill wore off.

Buying my wife’s Grand Cherokee made me not hate SUV’s, and removed some of my prejudice around American cars (I’m aware it’s essentially a 2 generation, 10 year old, ML chassis). It’s quiet, handles well, looks good, and doesn’t compel me to drive the way all the performance oriented cars I’ve owned. It does everything I ask it to, perfect, and in comfort. Plus, It relaxes me, and the older I get, I appreciate that.

I honestly don’t know what will replace my MK7 GTI, but for the first time ever, I don’t know what is next, but I think I have finally outgrown the hot hatch thing. Something I would not have said before the Jeep
      Last edited by hybridhondahatch; 05-13-2019 at 10:40 PM.

14. 05-13-2019 11:14 PM #13
      96’ Corvette Limited C4 LT1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      '08 Acura TL
      05-13-2019 11:18 PM #14
      I've always been a fan of the Mazda3, but I never realized how much better it is to drive than other compacts until I drove one as a rental. And that was the outgoing model.

I always liked the BMW E39 as well, but once again, you can't fully appreciate just how well they drive until you actually drive one! It was a 530i M-Sport, and despite having over 100K at the time, was still great to drive.

As for the RSX, I've always wanted to see how they drive. I never warmed to the styling (unlike the other Acuras of the '00s), but in a way feel like I missed out on them.
      Last edited by Lifelong Obsession; 05-13-2019 at 11:24 PM.

Vehicles
      1977 MGB, 1980 Citation, 1987 LTD Crown Victoria, 1995 Geo Tracker, 1999 F-250 7.3, 2007 Prius
      05-13-2019 11:29 PM #15
      Here's an odd one as an answer to this specific question - the GMT360 GMC Envoy. Prior to a friend of mine moving to Hawaii about eight years ago and tasking me with selling his truck, I was firmly of the opinion that GM stuff in the modern era was 100% execrable mediocrity slapped together out of rubbermaid tubs and roofing nails, but spending a week with that thing warmed my cold heart considerably. It is almost certainly a circumstance of my expectations being so low that mere competence would wow me, but to this day I like them, and would own one as a 2nd vehicle.

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      05-13-2019 11:44 PM #16
      I know the RWD Caddys are good -- but I got one of these as a rental and expected it to drive like a W-body Impala* with the dead steering, gravelly engine and meh suspension combined with a squishy, loose, creaky large-tolerance interior that felt like an old Bonneville.

I was surprised to find that it had a willing, revvy engine and cracked off shifts at nearly 7000 RPM, and nicely-assembled, tight interior with high quality materials. I was most impressed with the magnetic suspension that kept it flat when throwing it hard onto an on- or off-ramp while doing a really nice job soaking up all the bumps and potholes around town at low speed. Overall it was much more pleasant and competent than I was expecting. I would never own one but it was a great rental for loading up family, going out to dinner, etc.

*The old Impala was actually kind of fun in its last year or two when it got the DOHC 3.6-liter and 6-speed -- same boring chassis but I wasn't expecting it to move like it did and rev out to 7000 when the pushrod ones were getting wheezy at 5000.

Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Vehicles
      Fusion Hybrid
      05-14-2019 12:06 AM #17

rented one of these (Cadillac CTS4 3.6)- the Automatic really did a great job of mimicking shifting like a manual in sport mode.
      PRESS HARD; YOU ARE MAKING 4 COPIES.

Vehicles
      2003 S2000, 2008 Lexus GS350, 2015 Lexus GX460, Kawi Z125
      05-14-2019 12:12 AM #18
      e46 M3 really changed my opinion of BMWs for the better. i still can't get past the joke level reliability, but man that was one sweet ride when it all worked.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

Vehicles
      torque and no torque
      05-14-2019 07:26 AM #19
      Drove a new Camaro and thought it was garbage (2010). Have driven 17+ Mustangs and they're really good but didn't fall in love. Then I rented a Challenger and just fell in love with the stupid thing. I never would have thought that out of the three pony cars, that would be my favorite. I like the 4-door even more. The whole character of those cars, even with the 5.7L, is fun-loving. They handle better than they should and are amazing road trip cars.

21. 05-14-2019 08:02 AM #20
      I always swore I'd never own a German car because reverse is on the left. First time driving one, it was a friend's BMW. We were stationed in Groton for Sub school, and one night he decided he wanted Micky D's but was too ****faced to drive himself. I volunteered cause I knew how to drive manual. As soon as we get in, I go to put it in first and he goes "No no no, that's reverse dip****. I thought you said you could drive stick." Blew my ****in mind.

Now I'm on my second VW and I love these little bastards.
      Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kirk, The Final Frontier
      Damn it, Bones, you're a doctor. You know that pain and guilt can't be taken away with a wave of a magic wand. They're the things we carry with us, the things that make us who we are. If we lose them, we lose ourselves. I don't want my pain taken away. I need my pain.
      Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Cat!!!! View Post
      Ban GHB

Vehicles
      12' CTS-V
      05-14-2019 08:49 AM #21
      My CTS-V. I thought I was going to be getting into a semi-boring ride when I decided to go with the automatic.
      Boy oh boy was I wrong. I am definitely a fan, and can only imagine A) How much they've improved over the last 7 years and B) how a DSG feels in other cars.
      The past vehicles.
      93' Camaro-Sold, 87' Cabriolet-Sold, 87' Scirocco 16v-Sold, 85' Scirocco 8v-dead, 13' Jetta-dead, 87' Scirocco 16v-dead ,99' Acura TL-Sold, 80' Scirocco, DERPKOTA!, 13' WRX
      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      Hell, you know those ancient cave paintings in France? I betcha those animals were really half the size that the hack scribbler drew.

05-14-2019 09:05 AM #22
      3rd gen Toyota Prius: I was firmly in the "pile on and hate the thing" crowd, but after my family got one and I drove it I had to admit that from a utility, economy, and even (sort of) fun perspective, they really ARE that good. That they have earned a reputation for near-indestructability only burnished the case for us, and we bought a 2012 Prius 3. We really enjoyed it, too.

Tesla Model 3: I am not one for buying hype. I was a very big skeptic on the appeal, but I watched the Model S earn rave reviews. Then one afternoon, we were near a Tesla gallery, and I called to see if they had a Model 3 Performance available, and they did.

Driving that car has completely reformatted what I think a car can be, and I am excited for EVs to take over the world.

I encourage anyone who has not driven one to go drive a Tesla...ANY Tesla.
      Matt
      2018 Toyota Highlander SE AWD, Midnight Black Metallic/Black
      2018 Volkswagen Golf R 6-speed, Lapiz Blue/Titan Black
      2018 Four Winns H210 / 5.3L Volvo Penta V8 300 / DPS-A Duoprop drive

Vehicles
      Manual Avant
      05-14-2019 08:00 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Maximum_Download View Post
      3rd gen Toyota Prius: I was firmly in the "pile on and hate the thing" crowd, but after my family got one and I drove it I had to admit that from a utility, economy, and even (sort of) fun perspective, they really ARE that good. That they have earned a reputation for near-indestructability only burnished the case for us, and we bought a 2012 Prius 3. We really enjoyed it, too.

Tesla Model 3: I am not one for buying hype. I was a very big skeptic on the appeal, but I watched the Model S earn rave reviews. Then one afternoon, we were near a Tesla gallery, and I called to see if they had a Model 3 Performance available, and they did.

Driving that car has completely reformatted what I think a car can be, and I am excited for EVs to take over the world.

I encourage anyone who has not driven one to go drive a Tesla...ANY Tesla.
      I agree 100% with this.

On the prius, I know many on here hate it, but its an AMAZING daily driver, smooth, quiet, great economy, and because its a hatch you can fit tons of stuff in it as well. Toyota REALLY overengineered it in a good way as well. In Chicago before uber and lyft became common, it was common to either get a prius or camry hybrid cab. I was in a camry one time it I could clearly see multiple lights on the dash, and the mileage which was at 150k. In contrast I have been in Prius cabs with over 300k, which felt tight as a drum, with no lights on.

With the tesla, one drive and I was sold.

I love ICE cars for fun, and such, but electrics are amazing for daily duty