VWVortex.com - Trying to do Stage 2 in a Rush
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Trying to do Stage 2 in a Rush

1. 05-13-2019 09:24 PM #1
      Got myself a 2016 Golf R Mt to replace my DSG 13 Gti.

On a budget to get everything done quickly so far CTS have given me an excellent price on all the parts I need

Downpipe (catless)
      Intake
      Intercooler
      Turbo Inlet pipe

I was also going to get a resonator delete and mate it to the stock catback system, I would retain the valved exhaust until I can later upgrade Remus Valved Exhaust. my question is if I get the pop and bang tune will the car be reasonable in regular mode then only pop and bang in race mode? I was assuming it would quieten the car down as I like the option of having less noise when there are alot of cops around lol. If it makes no difference I could just get a full turbo back system.

Then there is also the decision of if I should go with the APR St2 or go with some other St2 tuner

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf R base 6spd
      05-13-2019 10:38 PM #2
      drop the intake and do an aFe filter/snowguard removal. I bought most of the parts before I did stage 2 which took around 6 months to get everything.

4. 05-13-2019 10:57 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by brennonshepherd View Post
      drop the intake and do an aFe filter/snowguard removal. I bought most of the parts before I did stage 2 which took around 6 months to get everything.
      Unfortunately the original airbox was not present on the car when I got it

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2015 LB MK7R
      05-14-2019 07:55 AM #4
      I am protuned and was given the option to only have pop and bangs in sport mode, so I imagine any tuner can set it how you like. I even had control over how loud they were.

Vehicles
      16 Golf R Oryx 6spd
      05-14-2019 08:35 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfR2019 View Post
      Got myself a 2016 Golf R Mt to replace my DSG 13 Gti.

On a budget to get everything done quickly so far CTS have given me an excellent price on all the parts I need

Downpipe (catless)
      Intake
      Intercooler
      Turbo Inlet pipe

I was also going to get a resonator delete and mate it to the stock catback system, I would retain the valved exhaust until I can later upgrade Remus Valved Exhaust. my question is if I get the pop and bang tune will the car be reasonable in regular mode then only pop and bang in race mode? I was assuming it would quieten the car down as I like the option of having less noise when there are alot of cops around lol. If it makes no difference I could just get a full turbo back system.

Then there is also the decision of if I should go with the APR St2 or go with some other St2 tuner
      Manual right? You are going to need to upgrade the clutch before stage 2. I would do a clutch after ECU and before a DP/Intercooler. Southbend Stage 3 Daily is what I would recommend...

Pop and bang tune being reasonable is kind of subjective. I mean some may say yes and some no.

Since you are a manual then I would select a tuner that offers launch control and no lift shifting. But maybe you don't care about those...United Motorsport, Cobb and Eurodyne are the only ones I know that offers those for the MK7.

Good luck.
      Instagram: @miamibournes_golfr
      Golf R Build
      United Motorsport Tuned @28psi 6MT (Launch Control & No Lift Shift)

Vehicles
      2015 GTI; 2003 Saab 9-3 SS
      05-14-2019 09:56 AM #6
      tune
      ic
      dp
      tires

that's all you need
      ED Moose ECU tune / ED DSG Stage 2 tune / Tomioka IHX475 Turbo / IE Intercooler / MAP cat+res Downpipe / Autotech HPFP / Precision Raceworks 450 LPFP

Vehicles
      2003 VW GTI 1.8T, 2017 VW Golf R MT
      05-14-2019 11:54 AM #7
      Clutch before anything
      2003 GTI 1.8T Nimbus Grey GIAC Tuned
      2017 GOLF R Deep Black Pearl United Motorsports Tuned

Vehicles
      1984 GLi 20v, '16 M3, '85 Golf, '17 R
      05-14-2019 11:56 AM #8
      Clutch first

Rushing means cutting corners means problems. Get Cobb or maestro so you can grow as you need and be protuned. Why rush anything?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
      :HOMEGROWN MOTORSPORTS:1:4.9 SuaSponte #13Dead Rabbits. Ungluck on IG. MKIforLife
      Quote Originally Posted by .Ant View Post
      What vegeta said.

Vehicles
      05-14-2019 11:57 AM #9
      Seriously, slow down man. Read, research, go look and ride in other cars.

:HOMEGROWN MOTORSPORTS:1:4.9 SuaSponte #13Dead Rabbits. Ungluck on IG. MKIforLife
      What vegeta said.

Vehicles
      2017 Golf R w/DCC
      05-14-2019 12:02 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta Gti View Post
      Clutch first

Rushing means cutting corners means problems. Get Cobb or maestro so you can grow as you need and be protuned. Why rush anything?

this x1000
      2017 DCC 6MT Lapiz Blue - APR Intake, AEM dry flow filter, APR DP, IE IC, RS7 plugs, Fluidampr Pulley, SB stage 3 daily, CTS turbo blanket, 034 Motor mounts, 034 dogbone insert, 034 rear subframe inserts, EM Lowering Springs, EM RSB. Cobb AP and Custom Drift Office Tune making 355whp/390wtq on 92 pump gas.

13. 05-15-2019 08:44 PM #11
      Seriously, slow down man. Read, research, go look and ride in other cars.

Surprisingly I have had many many late nights reading thru this forum, I ended up ordering all those parts from CTS so mechanically the mods will already be setup for stage 2, I already know the clutch will be shredded as soon as I go stage 2 and last night I came across someone local who said they could change out the clutch for a pretty decent price so I am going to be buying a clutch pretty soon. So yes a Manual Transmission cant wait to get back to it, As fast as the DSG is for someone who has driven standard vehicles since driving it feels like a giant version of Gran Turismo.

The reason I was trying to get it all accomplished quickly is I work alot of hours and picked up a Golf R with very light front end damage, my job kindly offered to get everything done for me but at the same time dont want it hanging around the shop whilst I spend time sourcing parts hence pretty much ordering everything needed from CTS mostly for the intercooler and intake. I also know if I dont get the work done fairly quickly something will come up and my set aside $$$$ will disappear never to be seen for months lol.

I am not 100% set on the APR tune deff seeking alternative options, does the Protune produce a similar output of 400 odd hp like the Hi torque Stage 2 apr tune? Having the ability to drive through upscale neighborhoods without being pulled over is deff a plus

Vehicles
      2003 VW GTI 1.8T, 2017 VW Golf R MT
      05-16-2019 01:17 AM #12
      In that case all you need is a intercooler and downpipe these are the most common essential mods you need to be stage 2 on most tunes. Everything else you can do now, later, or in the future. time. As long you have clutch in that progress you are good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2003 GTI 1.8T Nimbus Grey GIAC Tuned
      2017 GOLF R Deep Black Pearl United Motorsports Tuned

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R, 15 Q3
      05-16-2019 07:18 AM #13
      Since you need this car and don't want it just sitting around, get your clutch now or you will not be able to drive the thing. Install the DP when you have the transmission and subframe out for the clutch and your life will be much simpler. The IC is somewhat on its own but if your front end is trashed, perhaps the OE IC is toast too? In that case, you'll need the new unit immediately. Don't get stranded, upgrade the clutch now.
      Parting out 2014 Passat SEL TDi (sold back to VW).... // Ed's Option 2 headlights // Monster Mats // CarGo mat w/ blocks // OEM springs LINK

16. 05-16-2019 08:31 AM #14
      Do yourself a favor and go UM. Don’t rush things though....spread it out after researching.

Vehicles
      05-16-2019 09:20 AM #15
      Cobb or maestro.... Cobb is the better choice

If you're questioning whether a protune is as good or better regarding anything.... you haven't researched enough. I'm not talking just about in the vw world either. The ve worked is soooo far behind in tuning yet we have some of the most intelligent ecu's.

What vegeta said.

18. Member
      05-16-2019 11:21 AM #16
      IMO from experience

intake - free mods as mentioned
      JB - cheap solution
      clutch - move towards a more aggressive tune
      downpipe - move towards a more happier tune
      intercooler - move towards an even more happier tune
      tune - and get money back from JB

19. 05-17-2019 01:15 AM #17
      Cobb or maestro.... Cobb is the better choice

If you're questioning whether a protune is as good or better regarding anything.... you haven't researched enough. I'm not talking just about in the vw world either. The ve worked is soooo far behind in tuning yet we have some of the most intelligent ecu's.

Being honest one thing I did not really research was the actual tune, I looked into what mods were required and what I could budget for so I could get everything done

All my parts arrived from CTS today as well as my metal oil pan from USP, got like 85% of the parts now to get it back together

I did find out the previous owner had already deleted the resonator, looks like its welded okay and not leaking but its going to be replaced by the CTS downpipe and resonator delete for a cleaner look even though no one will probably ever look under there

Not sure I lined up the exhaust on the floor correctly, looked up a couple of videos and install looks like a bit of a PITA with the driveshaft in the way

Vehicles
      2017 Golf R w/DCC
      05-17-2019 06:28 PM #18
      x2 for a protune, using cobb or whatever else. I went with a cobb AP with a dyno protune, the numbers my car put down were higher than what a APR stg 2 HO with meth put down and on less boost. remember that APR numbers are crank numbers and only a best "guestimation" of what you might put down. you won't know without getting on the dyno. if you can, i highly suggest getting a baseline dyno run before mods, and then after mods/tune so you know what you've actually added to the car.
      2017 DCC 6MT Lapiz Blue - APR Intake, AEM dry flow filter, APR DP, IE IC, RS7 plugs, Fluidampr Pulley, SB stage 3 daily, CTS turbo blanket, 034 Motor mounts, 034 dogbone insert, 034 rear subframe inserts, EM Lowering Springs, EM RSB. Cobb AP and Custom Drift Office Tune making 355whp/390wtq on 92 pump gas.

21. 05-17-2019 08:55 PM #19
      Being honest one thing I did not really research was the actual tune, I looked into what mods were required and what I could budget for so I could get everything done

All my parts arrived from CTS today as well as my metal oil pan from USP, got like 85% of the parts now to get it back together

I did find out the previous owner had already deleted the resonator, looks like its welded okay and not leaking but its going to be replaced by the CTS downpipe and resonator delete for a cleaner look even though no one will probably ever look under there

Not sure I lined up the exhaust on the floor correctly, looked up a couple of videos and install looks like a bit of a PITA with the driveshaft in the way
      Moistner...

22. Yesterday 03:40 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by scmarchy View Post
      x2 for a protune, using cobb or whatever else. I went with a cobb AP with a dyno protune, the numbers my car put down were higher than what a APR stg 2 HO with meth put down and on less boost. remember that APR numbers are crank numbers and only a best "guestimation" of what you might put down. you won't know without getting on the dyno. if you can, i highly suggest getting a baseline dyno run before mods, and then after mods/tune so you know what you've actually added to the car.
      Wow thats interesting, what did this set you back though? I assume protune is more expensive then getting the APR stage 2 which if I understood the guy correctly will cost me approx $1300. I am not really in it to build an insane machine but going from my daily driver gti (probably only 220bhp or so) into a 400bhp Golf R will be more then enough for me. There arent honestly to many places to enjoy the car around Houston anyway as im from Europe I enjoy corners and handling more then just going for a straight line drag.

To answer all the previous posts I decided on a DKM Stage 3 twin disk Clutch, seems like great value and have very good reviews, depending on who I find to install this I might do the DP at the same time as it does look like a real pain getting it out with everything in the way but we will see

23. Yesterday 08:00 AM #21
      Wow thats interesting, what did this set you back though? I assume protune is more expensive then getting the APR stage 2 which if I understood the guy correctly will cost me approx $1300. I am not really in it to build an insane machine but going from my daily driver gti (probably only 220bhp or so) into a 400bhp Golf R will be more then enough for me. There arent honestly to many places to enjoy the car around Houston anyway as im from Europe I enjoy corners and handling more then just going for a straight line drag.

To answer all the previous posts I decided on a DKM Stage 3 twin disk Clutch, seems like great value and have very good reviews, depending on who I find to install this I might do the DP at the same time as it does look like a real pain getting it out with everything in the way but we will see
      Just go UM. UM > All

Vehicles
      2017 Golf R DSG
      Yesterday 03:25 PM #22
      X 3 on Cobb Accessport ProTune. Get from [email protected] Equilibium tuning he is one of the best out there.
      2017 Golf R
      K&N intake, Wagner Intercooler, 034 Downpipe, Cobb Accessport with [email protected] OTS stage 2 ECU/TCU tune, eibach pro-kit, cts turbo inlet pipe, 034 dogbone motormount insert.
      Stock - [email protected]
      Cobb OTS stage 1+ - [email protected] [email protected] Stage 2 OTS - [email protected]

25. Today 12:48 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by CmlapisMK7R View Post
      X 3 on Cobb Accessport ProTune. Get from [email protected] Equilibium tuning he is one of the best out there.
      After finding his post and reading thru 13 pages of posts I see people saying nothing but good things about ED so good call on that, Even comes out cheaper then what I was quoted locally by about $400 + taxes which is obviously win win situation