VWVortex.com - The New "Supra" and What it Means for the Car World.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The New "Supra" and What it Means for the Car World.

1. Junior Member
      05-14-2019 06:54 PM #76
      I like it well enough. I'll wait until any kinks are worked out and they toss a manual in it. Also, I'll wait and see what the c8 Vette offers because if I can get a mid-engine flat-plane V8 with a manual sign me up if the price is even semi-reasonable.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
      2018 Golf R 91 Blue - Build #papasmurfr

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500 Sport, 2005 Saab 9-5 Aero,1988 Supra
      05-14-2019 06:59 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by MossEisley View Post
      I like it well enough. I'll wait until any kinks are worked out and they toss a manual in it. Also, I'll wait and see what the c8 Vette offers because if I can get a mid-engine flat-plane V8 with a manual sign me up if the price is even semi-reasonable.

Chevy is already over charging for a fricken Blazer. How much do you really think a mid engine Corvette is going to start at?

Vehicles
      2019 MINI Hardtop
      05-14-2019 06:59 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by MossEisley View Post

You won't get either with the C8 especially the manual. It will be DCT only. FPC might come later but even that's a long shot.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 RAV4 Hybrid, MK5 Jetta
      05-14-2019 07:11 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by Canaletto View Post
      Why? Another "sports" car with no manual transmission, a turbo-charged engine, and electric steering isn't really bringing anything exciting to the market, IMHO.

People will forget about this car the second that the mid-engined Corvette hits the market.
      30 years ago guys would say stuff like this:

''Another "sports" car without body on frame construction, a fuel injected engine, and no recurcilating ball steering rack, isn't really bringing anything exciting to the market, IMHO.''

It was just as annoying then as it is today. Get with the times.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      AWD German Hatch
      05-14-2019 07:15 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by Dubveiser View Post
      Get with the times.
      Why would I do that when "the times" are giving me worse cars?

05-14-2019 07:49 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by alfafan View Post
      One generation of the Supra is legendary. Not the ones that came before it.
      Not even one whole generation, to be honest. Firstly, the MKIV was mostly sold as non-turbo models and I recall for a very long time that it was quite expensive to turbo a non-turbo model and not have it blow up afterwards or destroy the (weaker) transmission if you did build up the engine significantly. So of the rare turbo versions of the MKIV, only 93-95 were OBD-I, which was the hot version. Of those, only 2991 in total among all 3 years, slicktop and targa were the 6-speed manual.

By 96, the manual was gone, though it returned for 97 and 98 but the slicktop (lighter and more desirable) was discontinued. So they managed to sell just 1047 more 6-speed models for a grand total of 4038 6-speed, twin turbo models across all years and both OBD-I and OBD-II. I'm not even going to get started on how basically none of them were genuinely legal since the #1 Supra mod was to remove the catalysts back then, but whatever. They were cool cars. My brother-in-law had a 94 6-speed twin turbo with the so-called BPU+ upgrades and I got to drive it around town a few times and we took it to Willow Springs too. Very fun car, but basically it was only fun in manual and only fun in turbo, and only easiest to legally mod in OBD-I form.

So like... 3000 of the 11,000+ MKIV Supras were the "legendary" ones, and honestly even of those, it was only the modded ones that were kind of a big deal. Does any of that matter? I don't know, maybe to some. Maybe it's revisionist history by people who don't want to admit how not-special the majority of Supras have been. I kind of just don't care. I'm excited that there's a new one and that it's shown to be a pretty good performer in a straight line as well as a great handling car.

Plus, we all know that even an 800hp MKIV still runs 12s in the quarter, so I guess that means even the brand new ones are just as quick in a quarter mile race?

8. Member
      Vehicles
      '13 Optima SX-L, '11 MKX, '06 ER-6N
      05-14-2019 08:04 PM #82
      30 years ago guys would say stuff like this:

''Another "sports" car without body on frame construction, a fuel injected engine, and no recurcilating ball steering rack, isn't really bringing anything exciting to the market, IMHO.''

I don't think anyone said this actually

And the fact that pony cars remain popular and relevant- the Rustang is the top selling coupe in Germany- speaks to real demand for the old school. It will be a watershed moment when big V8s and stickshifts die.

My biggest gripe is Toyota had the components to make something truly unique, and instead they rebodied a BMW. Turbo or V6 86, cut down IS/RC, cut down LC, take your pick. I don't buy their claims that it couldn't be done in house. The Supra has always been a cobbled together parts bin endeavor.

Vehicles
      2014 Mazda3 Sport GS - 1982 Honda CB750K
      05-14-2019 08:29 PM #83
      not if the "times" can't even offer a manual

i don't get it; why build an almost great car, and then stop?
      Last edited by worth_fixing; 05-14-2019 at 08:41 PM.
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/286588.png
      Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.

10. Junior Member
      05-14-2019 08:32 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by alfafan View Post
      Chevy is already over charging for a fricken Blazer. How much do you really think a mid engine Corvette is going to start at?
      60-80k for the base if I had to just guess unless they really change their price point. I do know it sounds crazy, but that's the hope.

Last edited by MossEisley; 05-14-2019 at 08:42 PM.

11. Junior Member
      05-14-2019 08:35 PM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by JustinCSVT View Post
      You won't get either with the C8 especially the manual. It will be DCT only. FPC might come later but even that's a long shot.
      I mean they have a patent in so there is a hope. I wouldn't buy the Vette the first year regardless with this level of overhaul.

Honestly same with the supra with the collaboration and it just being such a different car than what Toyota has given us.

Last edited by MossEisley; 05-14-2019 at 08:40 PM.

05-14-2019 08:57 PM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by worth_fixing View Post
      not if the "times" can't even offer a manual

i don't get it; why build an almost great car, and then stop?
      What cars do you believe compete with the Supra and come in manual transmission?

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      05-14-2019 09:07 PM #87
      Anyone who wants an $80k Supra is just delusional. Who in their right mind would pay that when a Cayman, or F-Type, or Corvette, or M3/M2 or any other number of blue-blooded sports cars cost the same? No real customer is walking past a Porsche dealership to hand a Toyota dealer the same cash.

IMO, a GT86 with real power is exactly what the Supra should be. I’m not really into the new Supra, but that’s more because it is A) ugly and B) occupies a part of the market I’m not in (GT350 all day at this price point for me) but I can still admire it for being the right thing IMO. An $80k Supra would be as popular as a losing lotto ticket. Us sports car enthusiasts should just be happy there are new sports cars to buy; yelling at the ones that do come out for not being exactly what you want is silly in this time when Toyota “should have” just came up with another crossover if it was doing the financially produce they thing. Be glad they didn’t.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

14. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      05-14-2019 09:07 PM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      What cars do you believe compete with the Supra and come in manual transmission?
      Cayman
      Instagram - efrie004

Buy my E46 sport springs. H&R part # 29485 - PM for details.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      05-14-2019 09:09 PM #89
      I think a better question is what cars compete with the Supra that don't come with a manual?

Its official benchmark (Cayman) does

As does nearly every other coupe/sports car of similar performance and price (V8 pony cars, NISMO 370Z , M2 Comp, Corvette Stingray, F-Type V6?)

Only one I can think of that doesn't is the TT... which probably isn't coming back for another generation, not ironically

Vehicles
      #81 SM 1.6
      05-15-2019 08:44 AM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      And a $5K literbike will wipe the floor with everything

Used vs new comparisons outside of someone shopping within a budget were, are and always will be horse****.

(And a Z does compete with a 20 year old Corvette )
      wait what?

not at anything that matters. bikes are terrible in corners.

the only thing the supra has that a c6 isnt better at .... is a warranty. for less than half the price.
      Quote Originally Posted by VigorousZX View Post
      In their unquenchable thirst for world domination, the aristocrats tax peoples time so as to keep its cattle viewed populations forever in servitude. They have gone as far as brainwashing and banning the western world that marrying your first cousin is forbidden and results in retardation... and thus have disturbed human evolutionary densities because broken families are easier to control and will better fall into debt slavery.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      05-15-2019 08:50 AM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      wait what?

the only thing the supra has that a c6 isnt better at .... is a warranty. for less than half the price.
      Takes aim...fires....and a miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

18. Member
      Vehicles
      05-15-2019 08:56 AM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      wait what?

Everything is terrible in corners if you don't know how to drive

And if by terrible you mean slower, unless you're racing what does it matter?

19. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2017 MINI Clubman JCW, 2015 VW GTI Autobahn, 2017 MINI Cooper
      05-15-2019 09:14 AM #93
      Cayman and Corvette.

Vehicles
      #81 SM 1.6
      05-15-2019 09:15 AM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      Takes aim...fires....and a miss.

Everything is terrible in corners if you don't know how to drive

And if by terrible you mean slower, unless you're racing what does it matter?
      neither of these posts are counter points.

lol
      Quote Originally Posted by VigorousZX View Post
      In their unquenchable thirst for world domination, the aristocrats tax peoples time so as to keep its cattle viewed populations forever in servitude. They have gone as far as brainwashing and banning the western world that marrying your first cousin is forbidden and results in retardation... and thus have disturbed human evolutionary densities because broken families are easier to control and will better fall into debt slavery.

Vehicles
      mk4 futura 1.8T GTI, mk6 CW GTI, awd outlander sport
      05-15-2019 09:29 AM #95
      What The New "supra" Means In My World: no manual, no care. AND, it's ugly and no longer has a rear seat to boot. I'd rather purchase an M2... 405hp 3.0L I6, RWD, usable rear seat and trunk, manual, long beach blue. You can get used ones with low miles in the low 40s now.

if i was going to purchase a supra, I'd do what (i think) most (enthusiasts) would do, go buy a manual mk4 TT. CSB: My buddy has a 9.69sec 1100+hp one. total sleeper except for the hooziers. oooowwweeeee!
      praise the lowered
      ¡save manuel!

Originally Posted by George Bluth >>
      It's so obnoxious when VW Golf/Jetta owners comment

Vehicles
      17 Focus ST2, 90 RX7 vert, Mazdaspeed Miata, montego NA8 .
      05-15-2019 09:31 AM #96
      Still impressed about what you get for 50K, even though I'd rather spend that on a 440i or 2 series.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      This is what happens when you're sick af and slam Monster every morning for breakfast.
      Hey, I slam monster every morning (sometimes two) and I've been fair to the Supra.

Now BuickMW on the other hand....!!

Nope, elbows too pointy
      Didn't you say before you'd rather buy a 370Z than this? At actual sticker price??

Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      If your first choice for Asian performance cars is the 370Z over this - because reasons - then I don't know what to tell you. This car is much better in every way unless you're that tied to a manual transmission specifically in Asian cars. You can do with your money as you wish, but if those are your reasons a hell of a lot of car guys are going to give you one of these.
      Yeah, I don't understand it either, and I'm as critical of BMW's reliability as much as anybody.

The 370Z is severely outdated and a terrible value at most trim levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Very much this. I'm well acquainted with that era of Toyota's history and while the MkIV was a big leap from the also-cool Supra MkIII, it wasn't what people now think it was. The MkII was the coolest, btw. Disagree? Then feel free to be wrong.
      The MK2 certainly looks the coolest, and I nearly bought one on at least 3 occasions. The MK3 was an improvement in most ways, but was 500 lbs heavier than the MK2 or the marshmallow known as the Z31 300ZX, and the 7M had the reliability of neither (head gasket issues due to incorrect head bolt torque, wiring harness issues).

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn1.8t View Post
      Well, technically Magna Steyr.

Not many Magna Steyr dealerships around though
      So the Supra is the successor to this?

Last edited by 88c900t; 05-15-2019 at 09:36 AM.
      Typical forum guy with busted third-hand cars.
      Quote Originally Posted by Kiyokix View Post
      I like this guy, I like this guy a lot.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

23. Member
      Vehicles
      B6 S4 Avant
      05-15-2019 09:34 AM #97
      I think a lot of the bellyaching about the new Supra would have been addressed had it not came with such polarizing styling. The MK4 Supra is still arguably bland but beautiful. I don't think this new Supra will visually age as well.

24. Member
      05-15-2019 09:35 AM #98
      And the fact that pony cars remain popular and relevant- the Rustang is the top selling coupe in Germany- speaks to real demand for the old school. It will be a watershed moment when big V8s and stickshifts die.
      I'm going to ask for a source on this. When it debuted in 2016 it may have been for one month sales but year to year, I don't believe it.
      19 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4 6MT JCW Tuning Kit
      18 BMW X3 M40i
      17 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription P*

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      05-15-2019 09:43 AM #99
      Question: Why does the new Supra have to "mean" anything?

26. Member
      Vehicles
      05-15-2019 09:48 AM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by 88c900t View Post
      Didn't you say before you'd rather buy a 370Z than this? At actual sticker price??
      Yes, a 370Z Sport is like 80% of the car for 60% of the cost. And that spare change can go pretty far in addressing its issues while retaining its strengths (Nissan reliability, manual transmission, IMO much better looks)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast