Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toyota's manual transmission take rate

Vehicles
      Present: 991.1 GT3 Past: ND MX-5, GVB STI
      05-15-2019 11:59 AM #26
      And that is why the GR Supra is automatic only at launch.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      05-15-2019 12:02 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      I'm more on this side of the argument as well. I hope toyota removes the manual entirely from the corolla sedan because, who cares? No one buys a corolla for fun---it's a horribly dull car where I have serious doubts that a manual could make measurably better. So I'n surprised by how many people opted for the manual in the HB version. Is this vehicle more exciting to drive than the sedan? I like the styling, but toyota has decent styling across a lot of their lineup.
      I agree that there's not much point of a stick on the outgoing sedan — it's competent all around but not sporty at all — we own one. The hatch is on the new TNGA platform with a multilink rear end and is supposed to drive more like a Civic Sport or Mazda3 from what I've seen so far. The hatch (and the sedan with the manual) only comes with the "big" new engine (2-liter, which is a destroked version of the Camry's new port+DI 2.5-liter) and has automatic downshift rev matching, so it is an order of magnitude more advanced than the outgoing car. Even all the switchgear is new.

The new sedan is on the same platform as the hatch (just with a longer wheelbase) and all trims have IRS. Similar to the new Camry, the car has distinct trim levels with different interior/exterior styling and suspension tuning. The 6MT is only available on the SE which has the sport interior, dual tip muffler and other differences. So it's not like they are limiting it to the super base L trim that no enthusiast would want, or putting it on the XLE which wouldn't make much sense -- they are kind of doing it like Honda with the Accord Sport where it is only offered on the midrange sporty trim (not even on the more expensive XSE, just the SE). I think that is the right way to do it.

I think the hatch looks great but even the sedan SE looks pretty interesting to me

This is like no Toyota in awhile, IMO
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Vehicles
      135i, A6_3.0, XC40
      05-15-2019 12:08 PM #28
      I'd be interested to see the take rate on custom orders vs dealer inventories. I guessing dealers almost never order manuals, and I wonder how many buyers settle for the auto rather than wait to order one that is manual.

05-15-2019 12:09 PM #29
      I'd probably only get a manual if I was leasing. Resale/general ease of sale is much harder with a stick shift car nowadays, especially for mundane vehicles.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Vehicles
      2008 Mazda 3
      05-15-2019 12:11 PM #30
      I guess I shouldn't be surprised that I had to go to two dealers to find a Corolla hatch to try in manual.

Sent from a telephone while driving

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      05-15-2019 12:12 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      I agree that there's not much point of a stick on the outgoing sedan — it's competent all around but not sporty at all — we own one. The hatch is on the new TNGA platform with a multilink rear end and is supposed to drive more like a Civic Sport or Mazda3 from what I've seen so far. The hatch (and the sedan with the manual) only comes with the "big" new engine (2-liter, which is a destroked version of the Camry's new port+DI 2.5-liter) and has automatic downshift rev matching, so it is an order of magnitude more advanced than the outgoing car. Even all the switchgear is new.

The new sedan is on the same platform as the hatch (just with a longer wheelbase) and all trims have IRS. Similar to the new Camry, the car has distinct trim levels with different interior/exterior styling and suspension tuning. The 6MT is only available on the SE which has the sport interior, dual tip muffler and other differences. So it's not like they are limiting it to the super base L trim that no enthusiast would want, or putting it on the XLE which wouldn't make much sense -- they are kind of doing it like Honda with the Accord Sport where it is only offered on the midrange sporty trim (not even on the more expensive XSE, just the SE). I think that is the right way to do it.
      Thanks for the education. I would be surprised in a good way if the current HB and new sedan drive noticeably better than the current sedan. It wouldn't be hard to do, but the last 3 or so generations of Corolla were really all about reliability and durability to the exclusion of everything else. Gotta respect that from the perspective of a mass market vehicle, but it's also why I've always preferred VW products in the lower price ranges. Good to see that Toyota is starting to add a little bit of sportiness into the Corolla. Things seemed to be going that way starting with the current Camry. I like that toyota is not limiting the manual to the base model that no one wants. With the Golf going away in the US, I could be very interested in a manual corolla HB.

Still strongly dislike supra, in case anyone is wondering and would buy a manual HB corolla SE before a supra.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      '13 Optima SX-L, '11 MKX, '06 ER-6N
      05-15-2019 12:22 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      That's too high. Maybe it's a result of early product mix coming from the factory.
      Yea FCA had ambitious manual allocation with the Dart, which I think is a big part of why it died.

Never forget, we aren't manufacturers' primary customers.... dealers are. Cars sitting on lots = money down the drain, so they go for what sells fast, which is NOT cars with 3 pedals, at least in the US. People hate dealers but they do have value in understanding actual customer demand.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI SE
      05-15-2019 12:28 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
      Easy solution: Don't drive thru the ghettos of Baltimore or Chicago. I'll give a free bonus tip and add Detroit to the list.
      I guess I'll add this anecdote as a counterpoint.

I was the victim of a failed "carjacking" in 1991 or 1992, even before there was such a name.

I was in college and a friend had just gotten a new Mitsubishi Diamante (back when Mitsu could credibly market a large premium sedan).
      To show off the car, the friend drove a bunch of us out to dinner in the burbs. We were all living in the heart of downtown Philadelphia, in college.
      We returned to Philadelphia around 10-11 at night, on a well-lit street in a highly populated and buy part of downtown.
      He pulls the car curbside, and we are all chatting for a few minutes, before going our separate ways.
      Suddenly, a very "safe" looking white male, in his 20s, shows up at the driver's window and demands that we all get out of the car.
      We assumed he was a drunk or a prankster, and ignored him. He then opens his jacket to reveal a gun tucked into his waist.
      My friend gets enraged by this and starts arguing with the guy. I'm in the front passenger seat, and I'm doing my best to get my friend to stop arguing.
      As the would-be robber and my friend exchanged words, a group of people came outside of the townhouse we were parked in front of, and the carjacker ran off.

I only tell this story for a few reasons:

1. Don't assume crime is limited to bad neighborhood.
      2. Don't assume carjackers (criminals) fit a particular stereotype.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 GTI, '18 F22, '13 E88, etc.
      05-15-2019 12:39 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      That's too high. Maybe it's a result of early product mix coming from the factory.
      Not enough hatchbacks sold methinks. I'm not sure I've ever seen one on the road, but countless sedans.

05-15-2019 12:44 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Yea FCA had ambitious manual allocation with the Dart, which I think is a big part of why it died.

Never forget, we aren't manufacturers' primary customers.... dealers are. Cars sitting on lots = money down the drain, so they go for what sells fast, which is NOT cars with 3 pedals, at least in the US. People hate dealers but they do have value in understanding actual customer demand.
      But remember, the manual allocation of the Dart was artificially high because they had no automatic transmissions to place on the market. They had the 1.4L/DDCT for the Aero trim and manual for the 2.4L I4. The auto was absent because of them sending Hyundai the wrong specs and then rushing to get this corrected as the Dart launched.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

12. Member
      05-15-2019 01:54 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Rav_VW View Post
      I'd be interested to see the take rate on custom orders vs dealer inventories. I guessing dealers almost never order manuals, and I wonder how many buyers settle for the auto rather than wait to order one that is manual.
      I've never actually seen a custom order Toyota, it was always let's see if we can locate the vehicle you're looking for and have it shipped to the dealer.

They even state that you can't get all combo's in certain markets and the regional offices determine the options and packages. It was next to impossible to find a manual transmission FJ on the East Coast for instance.

http://toyota.custhelp.com/app/answe...ecial-order%3F
      19 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4 6MT JCW Tuning Kit
      18 BMW X3 M40i
      17 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription P*

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      05-15-2019 02:10 PM #37
      https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/commen...rate_by_brand/

US manual take rate by brand.
      ... Using Autotrader's database (doesn't contain every single dealer in the US, but contains a huge percentage of them), I searched for new cars by brand, and then searched for the number of listings with manual transmissions. Then its just some simple math to figure out the percentage of cars sold by each brand with manual transmission.

Brand Total Manual Percentage
      Overall 2,366,055 42,269 1.79%
      BMW 45,854 427 0.93%
      Chevrolet 324,473 4,330 1.33%
      Cadillac 32,212 15 0.05%
      Dodge 54,594 798 1.46%
      Ford 313,916 7,373 2.35%
      Hyundai 96,278 866 0.90%
      Jaguar 7,958 3 0.04%
      Kia 70,427 824 1.17%
      Jeep 175,837 5,726 3.26%
      Mazda 42,226 2,285 5.41%
      Mitsubishi 22,647 252 1.11%
      Nissan 157,016 998 0.64%
      Porsche 9,530 395 4.14%
      Suburu 48,192 6,365 13.21%
      Volkswagen 45,514 2,811 6.18%
      Toyota 221,258 1,662 0.75%

Jaguar is the lowest by percentage, Suburu is the highest. Overall rate is 1.79% of total cars.
      The shift is on: Manual transmissions may be endangered but they're also beloved
      https://www.chicagotribune.com/class...710-story.html

Owners of the Ford Focus RS and Ford Mustang GT 350 must feel the same way. Those performance vehicles only come with manual transmissions for now. The super fun and super smooth Mazda MX-5 Miata has a manual take rate of just under 60 percent, which is one of the highest take rates in the segment, according to Jacob Brown, spokesman for Mazda.
      https://autoweek.com/article/car-lif...-transmissions
      THESE ARE THE MOST (AND LEAST) POPULAR PLACES FOR MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS

The Mazda MX-5 Miata is one of the most popular vehicles purchased with a manual transmission today.

Despite the improvements to modern automatics, we still prefer to row our own gears given the choice. Unfortunately, most modern car buyers don’t agree with our sentiment. CarMax has released some figures on manual transmission buying habits based on data from its dealers. The numbers are pretty depressing for fans of cars with three pedals.

Some interesting tidbits:

• Only 3.7 percent of the vehicles CarMax sells are manuals.
      • In 1995, manual transmission cars accounted for about a quarter of CarMax’s sales.
      • According to the data, drivers in Maine, New Hampshire and New Mexico are about twice as likely to buy a manual car than the average CarMax shopper nationally.
      • New Mexico has the highest rate of manual transmission vehicle purchases at 5.65 percent, followed by Idaho (5.29 percent), Rhode Island (5.16 percent) and Utah (4.94 percent).
      • Residents of Illinois are the least likely to purchase a stick shift, with a take rate of only 2.04 percent.
      • Other states that shun manuals are Mississippi (2.06 percent), Louisiana (2.42 percent) and Georgia (2.71 percent).
      • The CarMax store with the highest sales of manual transmission vehicles is in El Paso, Texas (6.09 percent).
      • Dothan, Alabama (“nice area” - Jim Price) has the next highest manual take rate at 6 percent, beating out Reno, Nevada (5.65 percent) and Albuquerque, New Mexico (5.65 percent).
      • Residents of Birmingham, Alabama, buy the least number of manual cars at a rate of 1.98 percent.
      • Perhaps unsurprisingly, Chicago buys the second least number of manuals at 2.03 percent, tying Tupelo, Mississippi, and just beating out Jackson, Mississippi (2.07 percent).

Before you proclaim the end is nigh, there is a silver lining: Though the manual transmission may be going out of style in mainstream vehicles, three pedals are still a prevalent choice in many of today’s affordable sports cars.

Over half of the Mazda MX-5 Miatas sold in the U.S. are manuals, and 80 percent of Subaru BRZ, WRXs and STIs are sticks. Even the new JL Jeep Wrangler has a manual option. Though the numbers look grim, there is a surefire way to keep the manual transmission alive: Go out and buy one.

Vehicles
      '15 TLX. 13 TSX-W, '01 S2000
      05-15-2019 02:44 PM #38
      The Civic Si and Type-R are manual only, and the manual take rate on the Civic Sport hatch is about 20%. I think Honda is going to make the manual on the new Sport Coupes and Sedans more widely available because of the success of the 6MT hatches.

The 86 is kind of a shocker.

15. 05-15-2019 03:29 PM #39
      You kind of had me until I saw those cheap fabric (is it even cloth anymore?) seats. They look like they came out of a mitsubishi mirage.

I wish the Corolla XSE sedan offered the stick like the XSE hatch. Seems stupid they put it only on the SE sedan. Similar in the past though- you couldn't get a loaded S w/ premium (leather/heat seat version) in manual- it capped out on the S plus.

http://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/...rolla_2014.pdf
      Current Vehicles
      2019 Volkswagen Jetta SEL-Premium
      2018 Dodge Journey Crossroad 4
      1990 Mercedes-Benz 500SL

Vehicles
      15 Rav4
      05-15-2019 04:08 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Karl O. View Post
      The 86 is kind of a shocker.
      The 86 with an automatic is a dog.
      test test Maki says "hello"

Vehicles
      the kidney people wouldn't take it
      05-15-2019 04:14 PM #41
      I keep saying it, but part of this is on dealers making self-fulfilling predictions that nobody wants an automatic.

You want to see manuals return for the last days of internal combustion powertrains? Help get rid of dealers.

The rest is on you to buy new manual cars and teach people to drive stick. You won't do any of those things, you're just going to keep watching manual transmission offerings disappear.
      call it potatography

Vehicles
      2012 Kia Forte EX
      05-15-2019 04:34 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      But remember, the manual allocation of the Dart was artificially high because they had no automatic transmissions to place on the market. They had the 1.4L/DDCT for the Aero trim and manual for the 2.4L I4. The auto was absent because of them sending Hyundai the wrong specs and then rushing to get this corrected as the Dart launched.
      TIL this is why the manual allocation was so high. I knew it was high but and it was baffling for the very reason that the Manual is a niche choice. Wow.

Vehicles
      2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport
      05-15-2019 04:41 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by turbo_nine View Post
      I keep saying it, but part of this is on dealers making self-fulfilling predictions that nobody wants an automatic.

You want to see manuals return for the last days of internal combustion powertrains? Help get rid of dealers.

The rest is on you to buy new manual cars and teach people to drive stick. You won't do any of those things, you're just going to keep watching manual transmission offerings disappear.
      So you think dealers started stocking less and less manuals on the lots:

Because they wanted to have fewer ready choices for people buy and them to make money on?

For fun?

Or because they had manuals on the lots before and it was becoming more and more clear that people weren't interested and they were collecting dust?

I tend to think the last one is most likely.
      Next car desires subject to change... Perpetually.

Vehicles
      Audi S3, BMW 3er GT, BMW X3, and a Toyota Appiiance
      05-15-2019 04:43 PM #44
      I have a perfect meme for this thread...yes I do

Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Vehicles
      the kidney people wouldn't take it
      05-15-2019 05:03 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by VarianceVQ View Post
      So you think dealers started stocking less and less manuals on the lots:

Because they wanted to have fewer ready choices for people buy and them to make money on?

For fun?

Or because they had manuals on the lots before and it was becoming more and more clear that people weren't interested and they were collecting dust?

I tend to think the last one is most likely.

call it potatography

Vehicles
      Present: 991.1 GT3 Past: ND MX-5, GVB STI
      05-15-2019 05:47 PM #46
      Amen.

05-15-2019 06:23 PM #47
      I had a manual transmission Matrix. By far the worst manual transmission I have ever tried. Clutch engagement was super high and the accelerator pedal placement relative to the clutch pedal was downright uncomfortable. I was so happy to get rid of it. I tried a Corolla from the last generation and it was just as bad. My dad's 2001 Corolla is much better. :/ It seems like they do it on purpose to make it bad so people order the auto.

24. 05-15-2019 06:28 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by Uber Wagon View Post
      I have a perfect meme for this thread...yes I do

I have a better one

Current Vehicles
      2019 Volkswagen Jetta SEL-Premium
      2018 Dodge Journey Crossroad 4
      1990 Mercedes-Benz 500SL

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      05-15-2019 06:46 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      You kind of had me until I saw those cheap fabric (is it even cloth anymore?) seats. They look like they came out of a mitsubishi mirage.

I wish the Corolla XSE sedan offered the stick like the XSE hatch. Seems stupid they put it only on the SE sedan. Similar in the past though- you couldn't get a loaded S w/ premium (leather/heat seat version) in manual- it capped out on the S plus.
      I was just trying to convey that it seemed like they were actually trying a little with this generation instead of phoning it in like before.

They look fine to me, kind of like the tweed fabric in a lot of '80s/early '90s Japanese cars.

They're both more aggressive than I was expecting, but the XSE seats are definitely better.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Vehicles
      2017 VW Golf R Oryxweiß 6MT Stage 2
      05-15-2019 07:45 PM #50

I think the hatch looks great but even the sedan SE looks pretty interesting to me.

This is like no Toyota in awhile, IMO

Yeah, I'm pretty surprised by the new Corolla. I'd never had said that before this new gen. I'd probably never buy a non sporty model commuter car, but if I had to, it'd be at the top of my list, along with the civic/Mazda3/Golf. Great looking cars from all angles, nice interior, bulletproof reliable, good manual, what's not to love?

I'm impressed Toyota put so much development $$$ into improving the new corolla, given the shift to cuvs. Good on them

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast