Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Front door lock assembly, for emergency entry key

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      07 Passat Wagon 3.6, 01 BMW 740iL, 03 GMC Sierra 4x4, 02 Audi TT Roadster
      05-15-2019 01:42 PM #1
      The lock cylinder on the driver's door would not operate with the plastic key, so I removed the unit.
      On the B6, there is an additional screw just below and right of the torx twenty that releases the cylinder.

On inspection, it is a different style than previous (B5,5.5) that can be repaired or cleaned.

Four drift pins hold the two body halves together. Not wanting to destroy the housings, I stuck it back in the door.
      I will pull one from the p'n'p yard and disassemble and see if it is a repairable unit. My concern is removing the tiny drift pins
      after splitting the housings.

I'd like the ability to get in the car should an electrical fubar prevent the fob from performing.

Stay tuned....

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      Passat 08 jetta 01 jetta 98 240sx
      05-15-2019 01:50 PM #2
      There is a whole tutorial with pictures about disassembling the lock and door in passatworld

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
      DO YOU SPEAK DAS AUTO?

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      05-15-2019 05:23 PM #3
      Just went through a few dozen pages on PW. Most are disassembly of door and latches, lock removal etc. Been there and done it.

I am looking for a disassembly process (if possible) for the B6 lock unit, the one for the plastic key. The B6 07 I have has a lock
      assembly that has 2 body halves, drift-pinned together. The latch arm, spring, retention cap are all 'captured' in the two bodies then
      pinned together.

My lock has a buggered tumbler spline. Turns a fraction but no further. From what VW told me the plastic keys are cut and keyed to the VIN.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      05-19-2019 08:47 PM #4
      Pulled a lock from a black wagon in the LKQ yard. Popped the cover, removed the rubber caps on the door side.
      Removed the lower bolt (has an extended shoulder) and turned the release clamp bolt out 10 turns while holding the
      door handle out. A few more turns it came out, total of 14. Just don't remove it all the way, just enough to pull the lock.

This design is a one piece unit, consisting of two halves pinned at 4 locations.

Use a pin punch of the appropriate size and knock the pins in, gently and only as far as the tabs they pin.
      You can now separate the halves. Basic structure is the same as any lock, spring loaded tumblers, return spring,
      load spring and barrel.

Inspect the parts. You likely have a worn tumbler that is preventing the cylinder from turning. Insert the key fully,
      and find the culprit. I had one that just wouldn't cooperate, so I pulled that one and its spring and filed another down slightly.

Insert the cylinder in one half and check that it rotates with the key. MAKE SURE you preload the cylinder against its seat to simulate
      the spring preload when assembled. Reassemble the parts and insert into one half of the shell.

The two outer most pins can be punched back out and grabbed with needlenose pliers. The two short ones you'll have the dig out of the tiny channels
      protecting them from falling inside. Have a sharp eye, they are tiny.

Place the second shell in place and squeeze to engage the tabs in their locations. Try the lock before putting the pins back.
      All good? Put the pins in, knock the with the punch JUST enough to engage both housings, insert in the door and check it.
      Last edited by oldroller; 05-19-2019 at 08:50 PM. Reason: typo