VWVortex.com - My 'impromptu' review of G20 BMW 330i...so much improved, it's like another car!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My 'impromptu' review of G20 BMW 330i...so much improved, it's like another car!

Vehicles
      Audi S3, BMW 3er GT, BMW X3, and a Toyota Appiiance
      05-16-2019 10:15 AM #1
      Waring: Potato pics ahead.

So while my 2016 328i GT in the shop for 'variety' of issues, dealership gave me a 2019 BMW 330i loaner while the car is being serviced. It's a brand new car and I decided to do a 'impromptu' review as I just picked up an Audi S3. So, here's what I found:

Pros
      -Handling has much improved over F30. It's precise and immediate. Reminds me a lot of E90...even E46
      -Steering feel and feedback is vastly improved, though not at E46 level yet (which I also had)
      -Plenty of power: 245hp, but merging and passing on highway is not a problem.
      -Throttle response is quick, specially under sport mode.
      -Interior ergonomics has improved greatly. Get the Virtual Cockpit Pro for bigger nav screen and modern looking digital gage.
      -User experience is much better than F30. It's both intuitive and easy to use. iDrive be dam*ed.
      -Built quality is vastly improved-now BMW can now go neck and neck with Audi and Merc in terms of materials and workmanship.
      -Safety gear like Lane Keeping Assist and Frontal Collision avoidance system are standard.

Cons
      -Gigantic BMW grill taken off the new 7 series. Just terrible (look at the potato pic below).
      -Pleather seats really feel cheap. Even cheaper than the F30's pleather seats. Why couldn't they get Mercedes MB-tex in here?
      -Virtual Cockpit Pro looks pretty cheesy and looks half-baked. BMW has a lot of work to do here.
      -While interior quality has improved vastly, there are still Mitsubishi-grade cheap plastics in many places
      -HVAC controls are so small, I need glasses to see them
      -Driver aids are set with the most sensitive settings from the factory. Make sure to tone it down when you get the car delivered

So, I'e been enjoying the car so far. I was really angry with BMW USA for my 328i GT issues (that's for another thread), but the dealership remedied that by giving me a 330i loaner. BMW has done enough homework on G20 to not only make it more tech-savvy, but stuck to the original formula to redesign the G20 3er. This car is so good that G20 3 series might proved to be a turning point for BMW. G20 330i is fast, quick, and athletic in a way E46 used to be. Only major gripe that I had was the overly sensitive lane keeping assist system. It was so aggressive it literally 'pushed' car back into the lane a few times. Make sure to set it a the 'minimal' sensitivity so you don't run over deep potholes. In conclusion, if you are shopping for a near-luxury European sedan, put BMW 330i on the list. If you keep your options down low, you will get a quintessential German sports sedan with all the modern tech, and I dare say...a class leader.

Great job BMW. G20 330i is a fantastic car. Now fix mine right!

To start off, this is decently equipped 330i with decent amount of options, not fully loaded (it's a loaner car).

The rear 3/4 view is the absolutely stunning. The license plate belongs to the dealer. Don't try to look it up.
      Last edited by Uber Wagon; 05-16-2019 at 10:22 AM.
      Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      Now: 2016 GTI PP Autobahn; Then: 2006 A3 Sport 6MT
      05-16-2019 10:35 AM #2
      I know this is a review of the 330, but I gotta say, the new M340i is a really compelling package, especially for those considering a C43/S4 class vehicle. Buyers are just now starting to post their reviews, and outside of some questionable design choices on the front of the car, this thing seems to really check all the boxes.

This might be the first 'modern' BMW to catch my dollars...

Vehicles
      05-16-2019 10:40 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Travis Grundke View Post
      I know this is a review of the 330, but I gotta say, the new M340i is a really compelling package, especially for those considering a C43/S4 class vehicle. Buyers are just now starting to post their reviews, and outside of some questionable design choices on the front of the car, this thing seems to really check all the boxes.

This might be the first 'modern' BMW to catch my dollars...
      I would totally splurge on a M340i. Like I said, the G20 is easily the class lead right now imho. I drove a M240i before I purchased a S3. BMW does really great straight six engines (naturally aspired and turbocharged). Just judging by the 330i's dynamics, the next gen M3 is gonna be absolutely epic.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      E46M3,E60M5,E821M,F80M3CS,GT4
      05-16-2019 10:41 AM #4
      I haven't driven it yet. Glad you liked it, especially the handling improvements. C/D wasn't thrilled with a 330xi they recently tested. But euro reviews have been in line with yours.

I hope I get to test it soon.
      ///M Fanatic
      '05 E46 M3 6SPD, '08 E60 M5 SMG, '11 E82 1M 6SPD, '16 GT4, '18 F80 M3 CS

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      05-16-2019 10:43 AM #5
      The 330i is only 245hp? I had to look it up. I didn't know that the 330i is the base model now. Wow.

EDIT: So the 3 series only has 2 engines now and there is a $14k delta between them. Jesus...
      iain

Vehicles
      05-16-2019 10:43 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by MexicoCityM View Post
      I haven't driven it yet. Glad you liked it, especially the handling improvements. C/D wasn't thrilled with a 330xi they recently tested. But euro reviews have been in line with yours.

I hope I get to test it soon.
      You'll love the G20. I really think BMW has a best seller on their hands.

Vehicles
      05-16-2019 10:45 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      The 330i is only 245hp? I had to look it up. I didn't know that the 330i is the base model now. Wow.
      Yep, it's a 2.0L turbo four banger. Another thing I forgot to mention was 330i's exhaust. It sounds sporty and that diesel clatter like sound found on F30 when idling, is gone.

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      05-16-2019 10:47 AM #8
      It's better, but looks too Japanese to me, especially from the rear. The interior is on trend but I think it will look really dated in a few years, and there's way too much of that brushed nickel trim.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Vehicles
      05-16-2019 10:50 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      It's better, but looks too Japanese to me, especially from the rear. The interior is on trend but I think it will look really dated in a few years, and there's way too much of that brushed nickel trim.
      I'm not too keen on G20's styling either. But man, its fun factor is through the roof.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      Fancy Accord, 'Reliable' Family Truckster, Plug-in Bulldog
      05-16-2019 10:52 AM #10

EDIT: So the 3 series only has 2 engines now and there is a $14k delta between them. Jesus...
      Been that way for a while now, no? 320i isn't a different engine iirc, just state of tune. also the M340i usually gives you more standard equipment than just the bigger engine.

I really wish they'd kept the manual around for the G20. My E90 was still my favorite all around do anything car, and I'd love to have the modern version of that someday.

Vehicles
      05-16-2019 10:54 AM #11
      It used to be only about $7K difference for extra 2 cylinders. But no matter what, G20 M340i is closer in performance to M3 now. And that difference is a lot more.

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      05-16-2019 10:57 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by zmt2 View Post
      Been that way for a while now, no? 320i isn't a different engine iirc, just state of tune. also the M340i usually gives you more standard equipment than just the bigger engine.
      I meant different engine option, not entirely different engine.

And there is no 320. It's 330i/xd and M340i/xd. That's it. The cheapest 3 series starts at $40k which really means ~$48k with competitive options.
      iain

Vehicles
      A Fancy Nissan
      05-16-2019 10:59 AM #13
      The simple fact that you reference the E46 several times makes me very excited.

I'm doing BMW's Ultimate Driving Experience this saturday, I was already excited to drive the new 3er, now I'm like a child the night before Disney.

Along with the S3/RS3, a M340i is on the top of my list...I was just a little sticker shocked by the $63K figure when I spec'd one out. I'm hoping the lease deals will make sense in two years time. I'll try and make a thread on the UDE after saturday and my review of tossing this thing around....heres to hoping they have M340's available, but realistically expecting just the 330's.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Current: 18' Infiniti Q50 Red Sport
      Prior Vehicles: 13' E92 335i M-Sport l 04' E46 330ci SMG l 04' MKIV GLI 1.8t 6spd

05-16-2019 11:02 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Uber Wagon View Post
      Yep, it's a 2.0L turbo four banger. Another thing I forgot to mention was 330i's exhaust. It sounds sporty and that diesel clatter like sound found on F30 when idling, is gone.
      See, this is my beef with this class of car. I drove a C300 and the engine and transmission are just rough for this class of car, not to mention the road noise. Yes, I understand that it's "entry level luxury", but the E46 managed to get this right. But if entry level luxury doesn't offer what it promises, what's the point of buying this over a Ford Fusion?

It's good to hear that the new 330 is a return to its roots. For the most part.

Chris
      Last edited by Crispyfritter; 05-16-2019 at 11:04 AM.
      | 2017 Elantra | 2018 JLU Sport | 2003 Mercedes S55 AMG | 2001 BMW 740 iL | 2009 Civic Hybrid | 1974 SuperBeetle | 1962 Ford Unibody | The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

Vehicles
      2011 128i
      05-16-2019 11:09 AM #15
      why don't people understand what potato pics actually are.
      Quote Originally Posted by westopher View Post
      If you want to spend a bunch of money for something to look at, buy a painting. I'll happily drive my car til its worth nothing.
      Quote Originally Posted by JalopnikMatt View Post
      Since my presence has been requested, Beetlejuice-style, I'll address the current controversy:
      Yes, the Prius is the greatest car ever made.

Vehicles
      A Fancy Nissan
      05-16-2019 11:09 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      See, this is my beef with this class of car. I drove a C300 and the engine and transmission are just rough for this class of car, not to mention the road noise. Yes, I understand that it's "entry level luxury", but the E46 managed to get this right. But if entry level luxury doesn't offer what it promises, what's the point of buying this over a Ford Fusion?

Chris
      Come on Crispy, if you really think you would rather have a ford fusion driving the two back to back then the idea of premium vehicles is simply lost on you (which I know it isn't).

I will say however, the entry level 3/C/A4 have really become base spec models. There used to not be a huge disparity between say a 325i and 330i but now the difference between the loaner Uber got and even a better spec'd 330i (let alone the m340i) has become quite large. Spec napa leather and some other goodies and most of Uber's complaints are likely gone.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Current: 18' Infiniti Q50 Red Sport
      Prior Vehicles: 13' E92 335i M-Sport l 04' E46 330ci SMG l 04' MKIV GLI 1.8t 6spd

18. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 GTI, '18 F22, '13 E88, etc.
      05-16-2019 11:14 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Uber Wagon
      -Driver aids are set with the most sensitive settings from the factory. Make sure to tone it down when you get the car delivered
      Definitely agree here. I went to cross a line by a foot or so to give more room to a pedestrian, and because my blinker wasn't on, the thing fought me hard. Supposedly if you steer hard enough it will turn off, but to me it felt like the force to overcome it would've sent me full into the oncoming lane. I know there's a softer setting which we have on my father's G30 and that works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Uber Wagon View Post
      -Handling has much improved over F30. It's precise and immediate. Reminds me a lot of E90...even E46
      I probably disagree here..to me G20 feels like an improvement on the F30 crossed with the stoics of a 5er. Better than the last gen for sure, but if I was set on an E90 it wouldn't do the trick. Does your loaner have M-sport or track handling maybe? I really want to get in an M340i though at some point, that might do the trick.

05-16-2019 11:22 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by GLI Dan View Post
      Come on Crispy, if you really think you would rather have a ford fusion driving the two back to back then the idea of premium vehicles is simply lost on you (which I know it isn't).

I will say however, the entry level 3/C/A4 have really become base spec models. There used to not be a huge disparity between say a 325i and 330i but now the difference between the loaner Uber got and even a better spec'd 330i (let alone the m340i) has become quite large. Spec napa leather and some other goodies and most of Uber's complaints are likely gone.
      I know it sounds silly, but for the money, I'd rather drive a Fusion sport than a C300 for a daily. Yes, I know its not the point of this thread, but you really have to spec them out to get them so they actually feel premium. I guess what I'm saying is that the base models for this class don't really make sense. By the time you add the Napa, technology and lighting package (which the Ford would have in the same price as the base mode 3/C/A4) you're around $50k. Which honestly, I'd be more inclined to buy because I want the things I touch to feel expensive if I'm spending good money.

Chris
      | 2017 Elantra | 2018 JLU Sport | 2003 Mercedes S55 AMG | 2001 BMW 740 iL | 2009 Civic Hybrid | 1974 SuperBeetle | 1962 Ford Unibody | The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

20. 05-16-2019 11:27 AM #19
      This would be my choice in this class.

The only thing I really dislike is the front grille. Note the shiny plastic bit at the top of the grille but below the chrome surround. Just terrible.

The real tragedy is that it is far worse looking in the M340i with the fake pewter colour and weird design choice BMW used for that car's grille.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 GTI, '18 F22, '13 E88, etc.
      05-16-2019 11:42 AM #20
      I know it sounds silly, but for the money, I'd rather drive a Fusion sport than a C300 for a daily.
      Based on recent announcement re: sedans, I'd say that even Ford doesn't agree with you.

Vehicles
      Present: 991.1 GT3 Past: ND MX-5, GVB STI
      05-16-2019 11:48 AM #21
      I encountered one on the road a few days back, and it's a strikingly good looking car, though the 3 have gotten so big I mistaken it for a 5 at first glance.

Vehicles
      '16 Golf R, '08 Z4M coupé, '17 Kawasaki Versys 650
      05-16-2019 11:51 AM #22
      As a past E46 & E90 owner, it just makes me want to cry to see BMW "improving" a car to make it more like the old ones. I will never relinquish my Z4MC. Truly the last of the analog BMW M cars.

'16 Golf R 6MT
      '08 Z4 M Coupé
      '17 Kawasaki Versys 650

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      05-16-2019 12:25 PM #23

Chris
      Quote Originally Posted by GLI Dan View Post

I'm with Crispy. I am not interested in paying $40k+ for a small German car with few features and a 2.0T that is basically a commodity product. If I was going to do that I'd pay $30k for a Jetta/GLI. And then you go 6cyl and with a few options you're well over $50k. Just isn't a good value proposition, unless you're leasing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Vehicles
      05-16-2019 12:35 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      Definitely agree here. I went to cross a line by a foot or so to give more room to a pedestrian, and because my blinker wasn't on, the thing fought me hard. Supposedly if you steer hard enough it will turn off, but to me it felt like the force to overcome it would've sent me full into the oncoming lane. I know there's a softer setting which we have on my father's G30 and that works great.
      This is another reason I went with S3 over S4. Lane keeping assist is good feature to have, but you need to find one that works best for you. For my mom, Toyota's lane keeping assist is perfect as it 'nudges' you gently if you cross over the lane. On my S3, I have blind spot detection (but not assistance), and forward collision braking which benefits my driving styling. Lane keeping assist is not even an options list for S3 and I like that very much. I need a lot of help avoiding collision, not driving drunk. So S3's packaging works for me. I think 3er's aggressive lane keeping assist would've caused my 75 year old mom to have an accident. But she's more a Lexus shopper than a 3er...so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      I probably disagree here..to me G20 feels like an improvement on the F30 crossed with the stoics of a 5er. Better than the last gen for sure, but if I was set on an E90 it wouldn't do the trick. Does your loaner have M-sport or track handling maybe? I really want to get in an M340i though at some point, that might do the trick.
      I agree. G20's steering has improved vastly over F30. The loaner car that I've been driving is a base model with Virtual cockpit and no other options. I can imagine what an M-Sport package on G20 would be like. I have M Sport package on my F30, and it doesn't do much other than purely cosmetic improvement.

At any rate, G20's handling is vastly better, but like I mentioned, it's between E90 and E46. It's still tough to beat E46...it's not there yet.
      Last edited by Uber Wagon; 05-16-2019 at 12:38 PM.

Vehicles
      05-16-2019 12:49 PM #25
      I know it sounds silly, but for the money, I'd rather drive a Fusion sport than a C300 for a daily. Yes, I know its not the point of this thread, but you really have to spec them out to get them so they actually feel premium. I guess what I'm saying is that the base models for this class don't really make sense. By the time you add the Napa, technology and lighting package (which the Ford would have in the same price as the base mode 3/C/A4) you're around $50k. Which honestly, I'd be more inclined to buy because I want the things I touch to feel expensive if I'm spending good money.

Chris
      That's perfectly fine. Fusion sport is a fine car-it has tons more power and AWD to boot than the C300. Its styling even verges on a 'premium' segment. You just don't get called "sir" by your service advisor since it's got a blue oval on the hood. To get C300 to be spec'd out like Fusion sport, you'd be looking at C43 e-Matic. And "C" doesn't stand for "Cheap" if you catch my drift. It all depends on where your priorities lie I suppose.

BMW has always been about performance. This company knows how to build sports sedans, not luxury sedans. Mercedes S-class almost outsells 7 series 10-to-1 ratio. But 3 series is the best seller for BMW. F30 got bigger, softer, and more tech-oriented but it lost its ways since the days of E32. This new iteration of 3 series will undoubtly will put BMW back on top with much improved handling, communicative steering, and immediacy that's not found in modern BMWs. Is it a revival at BMW? I don't think so. They've always built good cars in my opinion, but the new G20 somehow got it better than F30. That's the point.

I just leased a car that reminded me the most the glory days of E32: An Audi S3. Funny how that works, but to each is own.
      Last edited by Uber Wagon; 05-16-2019 at 01:31 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast