Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: I bought a 911s on BaT

1. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      09-18-2019 01:30 AM #326
      That’s awesome! Love that he was excited that you reached out to him.

I also agree on the whole GT vs sports car thing with your 930 vs the S. For canyon carving I’d personally take your S, and for a trip to LA I’d grab the 930. On the roads I like, I’ve found found that I just have a hard time getting in a groove with a turbo Porsche.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. #TeamAkane. Donate to help a wonderful family kick cancers ass
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      JK & B9
      09-18-2019 10:22 PM #327
      Love reading your updates! Do you have something in mind to replace the 930?

4. Member
      Vehicles
      The NATO garage: 3 British, 2 German, 2 American.
      09-19-2019 02:34 AM #328
      Quote Originally Posted by Hufeisen View Post
      Love reading your updates! Do you have something in mind to replace the 930?
      Thanks! The replacement for the 930 is this silver 911S! They are somewhat duplicative in their purpose and utility, so I don’t need both. No other purchases in view, but tbh, I never saw this 911S on the horizon, either.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      11-07-2019 10:24 PM #329
      Applied for and received DMV approval to repurpose these old plates from 1977 onto the car, to complete the proper period-correct vibe.

6. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      11-07-2019 10:31 PM #330
      Very nice touch.
      Instagram - efrie004

Vehicles
      E39 M5 | 987.2
      11-08-2019 02:12 AM #331
      Subtle. I like subtle.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 Volt, '86 BMW 325E
      11-08-2019 02:22 AM #332
      Really cool! Does the DMV enforce you to then annually attach the year-correct sticker or do you keep the 1977 sticker there forever?

9. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      11-08-2019 07:43 AM #333
      I love that.

We aren’t a front plate state, so I have a 1966 “municipal owned” front license plate. But it’s not the same thing and not nearly as cool, especially compared to the well known classic California plates.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

10. Member
      Vehicles
      11-08-2019 04:57 PM #334
      Quote Originally Posted by kickapoo View Post
      Really cool! Does the DMV enforce you to then annually attach the year-correct sticker or do you keep the 1977 sticker there forever?
      You are required to have the original final yeast sticker in order to use/repurpose the plate, but then you put the new year sticker on there once it has been approved. In my case, I am keeping old sticker on the front plate and the new sticker on the back plate. See the new sticker on the rear photo.

Vehicles
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      11-08-2019 05:02 PM #335
      Looks great Dave!
      -Noah
      Corrado SLC || TT 225QC || 996 GT2 Widowmaker Project || 997 Turbo ||
      "Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      11-08-2019 05:18 PM #336
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Car_Guy View Post
      You are required to have the original final yeast sticker in order to use/repurpose the plate, but then you put the new year sticker on there once it has been approved. In my case, I am keeping old sticker on the front plate and the new sticker on the back plate. See the new sticker on the rear photo.
      I think they make some sort of cream for that now.

Love the Porsche, BTW.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Vehicles
      2013 5.0 F-150 1966 MGB 1988 VW Fox Wagon
      11-08-2019 05:19 PM #337
      The Silver 911 looks great. I had the pleasure to be a passenger in a mid-80's Turbo 911 a few months ago. It was an experience.
      (sheriff)Early, I though you said this was a drug possum.
      (Early) Sure, I drug him from the ditch.
      (sheriff) I wish you told me that before you sold him to me.

Vehicles
      08 Infiniti Guido35x, 74 Datsun Z
      11-08-2019 05:43 PM #338
      People that say the 930 feels like a tractor are expressing, more emphatically, what I’ve said here about heavier steering feel.
      To touch on this point, I think the biggest issue is most people don't get the opportunity to really see the car's great qualities.

For a few reasons. They don't take them on a proper high speed track. I don't mean a tight winding track, I mean high speed long corners, average speeds around 90mph for the lap.

They don't get proper instruction or enough seat time to really learn the configuration and the car's characteristics.

Yeah on the streets the cars feel heavy in the steering, slow below the boost threshold and overall kind of heavy with large sways in weight transfer.

Start dancing with one over 100mph on a proper race track gently applying weight onto the front tires with the brakes, transitioning that weight over to the outside cornering tires, planting it back onto the rear wheels and feel the steering get lighter in your hands as the boost hits.

It's a really connective euphoric driving sensation.

Anyone who says "they're tractors" hasn't had enough seat time or instruction in one. They also don't have the balls to drive the car where it needs to be to feel right.

And I don't even claim to have any amazingly superior driving skills, there's still A LOT left in the car for a more skilled professional driver compared to me. I've got a lot of seat time in both street and race versions of the 930 and my preference is honestly the feeling of the weight transfer of a factory street suspension. Makes you hyper aware of your inputs and so smooth.

If you can learn to drive a 930 well then most other cars feel very compliant and tame in comparison. And your "seat of the pants" driving feel gets tested so much that you develop a real heightened feel overall.

I am friends with a driver who races BMW E36 & 46 prepped cars. He hauls ass and is a hell of a driver in a street car or race car, he places well in any race he enters.

He learned on a 930, ended up building it over 650hp on EFI by the time he was done with it. He STILL credits that car for his driving abilities, and he misses it often and speaks fondly of it.
      Last edited by Cousin Eddie; 11-08-2019 at 05:46 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      11-08-2019 07:22 PM #339
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      I think they make some sort of cream for that now.

Love the Porsche, BTW.
      Ha! I’d go correct that to “year” but now I like it better.

16. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      11-08-2019 07:35 PM #340
      I'm a big fan of having period correct plates and put period correct black plates on both of our older cars. Not sure you need the '77 sticker on the front plate though as front plates never had stickers. If you want to be really crazy like me, you could find a period correct Porsche dealer frame from your favorite location. I chose Felton VW/Porsche in San Rafael which would have been the nearest dealer to my hometown back in the '60's but closed in 1985.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

17. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      11-08-2019 10:05 PM #341
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      To touch on this point, I think the biggest issue is most people don't get the opportunity to really see the car's great qualities.

For a few reasons. They don't take them on a proper high speed track. I don't mean a tight winding track, I mean high speed long corners, average speeds around 90mph for the lap.

They don't get proper instruction or enough seat time to really learn the configuration and the car's characteristics.

Yeah on the streets the cars feel heavy in the steering, slow below the boost threshold and overall kind of heavy with large sways in weight transfer.

Start dancing with one over 100mph on a proper race track gently applying weight onto the front tires with the brakes, transitioning that weight over to the outside cornering tires, planting it back onto the rear wheels and feel the steering get lighter in your hands as the boost hits.

It's a really connective euphoric driving sensation.

Anyone who says "they're tractors" hasn't had enough seat time or instruction in one. They also don't have the balls to drive the car where it needs to be to feel right.

And I don't even claim to have any amazingly superior driving skills, there's still A LOT left in the car for a more skilled professional driver compared to me. I've got a lot of seat time in both street and race versions of the 930 and my preference is honestly the feeling of the weight transfer of a factory street suspension. Makes you hyper aware of your inputs and so smooth.

If you can learn to drive a 930 well then most other cars feel very compliant and tame in comparison. And your "seat of the pants" driving feel gets tested so much that you develop a real heightened feel overall.

I am friends with a driver who races BMW E36 & 46 prepped cars. He hauls ass and is a hell of a driver in a street car or race car, he places well in any race he enters.

He learned on a 930, ended up building it over 650hp on EFI by the time he was done with it. He STILL credits that car for his driving abilities, and he misses it often and speaks fondly of it.
      All of this.
      Instagram - efrie004

11-08-2019 11:36 PM #342
      Cool that they are doing YOM registrations on the blue plates now. I have a set of yellow 56 plates on my 58 bug and I have black and yellows on my 63 ghia.

If you decide to build a motor for that thing let me know, I've got a buddy that runs the mechanical side RuF NA and can put together a sweet motor for you.
      All Hail Andy?

19. Member
      Vehicles
      11-09-2019 02:00 AM #343
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      I'm a big fan of having period correct plates and put period correct black plates on both of our older cars. Not sure you need the '77 sticker on the front plate though as front plates never had stickers. If you want to be really crazy like me, you could find a period correct Porsche dealer frame from your favorite location. I chose Felton VW/Porsche in San Rafael which would have been the nearest dealer to my hometown back in the '60's but closed in 1985.
      Yeah, you don’t need them on front. My point was that instead of just putting them 2020 sticker over the old sticker, I just keep the 77 sticker up front. You must have the old sticker at the DMV to repurpose the old plates, but after that, they don’t care. As you know, Many people use a small bracket they put on their back plate to show both old and new.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      11-09-2019 02:01 AM #344
      Quote Originally Posted by whalemingo View Post
      Cool that they are doing YOM registrations on the blue plates now. I have a set of yellow 56 plates on my 58 bug and I have black and yellows on my 63 ghia.

If you decide to build a motor for that thing let me know, I've got a buddy that runs the mechanical side RuF NA and can put together a sweet motor for you.
      I also like that they allow the blue plates now because they are actually serm more rare than the 1963-69 Black plates. Mainly because of the “new” personalized black plates they allow, which I dislike. I also like the 6-digit blue and yellow because it only existed from late 1969 to 1980, so it’s “soooo 70s”. From 80-82 the blue plates went to 7 digits before changing to white background in 82.

Vehicles
      BRZ
      Yesterday 06:08 PM #345
      Applied for and received DMV approval to repurpose these old plates from 1977 onto the car, to complete the proper period-correct vibe.

Yes! Not many people know you can do YOM plates all the way up to 1980. Love it.

Also, this appears to be a very early "narrow letter" plate. Apparently starting with the WLA series they switched from the old style wide letters to the new style narrow letters.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314