Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: I bought a 911s on BaT

Vehicles
      '91 Porsche 964, '95 Mercedes E320, '04 Porsche Boxster, '17 Subaru Outback 3.6R
      05-20-2019 01:44 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Car_Guy View Post
      I just looked them up, very cool LED option for older 911s. At about $2K per set, I'll have to wait to see if I'm keeping this one for a long time or modifying and selling with a couple years.

There are also the Audette drop-in LED buckets. I made a version of those for my 964. Another option (if you're hands-on) is a projector fitment kit that provides a very nice shroud that fills in the bucket.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      Fastdubs of CNY
      05-20-2019 02:18 PM #52
      Saw your links in the BaT thread. I, for one, am Jealous of your garage space, not just the cars. A true dream garage.
      Last edited by MK5CNY; 05-21-2019 at 01:46 PM.
      His: 18 Tiguan Ltd DBP, 2.0T Tipronic (18k): 18" (RML) 1552 Snowflakes
      Hers: 07 MK5 CW 4dr,2.5L std (147k) GTI dampers/DG Springs
      Daughter's: 13 B7 UG Passat 4dr, 2.5L Tiptronic (87k)

Vehicles
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      05-20-2019 02:30 PM #53
      Missed this thread somehow. Congrats. I appreciate that you share the details with us. It's both fun and educational. Looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

05-20-2019 03:09 PM #54
      I just looked them up, very cool LED option for older 911s. At about $2K per set, I'll have to wait to see if I'm keeping this one for a long time or modifying and selling with a couple years.

[IMG]https://9elevenheadlights.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/RAVEN-GUN-METAL-1-fixed.jpeg[/IG]
      They also now offer fluted lenses, which look super slick

2019 Toyota Tacoma
      2015 Triumph Street Triple
      2019 Honda Super Cub

6. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-20-2019 03:40 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
      There are also the Audette drop-in LED buckets. I made a version of those for my 964. Another option (if you're hands-on) is a projector fitment kit that provides a very nice shroud that fills in the bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by TooFitToQuit View Post
      They also now offer fluted lenses, which look super slick

The ones on the green car are a nice mix (appearance wise) of old/new tech, but the ones on the red car nail it. You have to look twice to realize that it isn't old buckets, and that's how I personally like it. As long as they're as effective, that's just about perfect.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

7. Senior Member
      05-20-2019 03:55 PM #56
      First congrats on the purchase, a friend has sent the link to this early on and I was drooling over the potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      The ones on the green car are a nice mix (appearance wise) of old/new tech, but the ones on the red car nail it. You have to look twice to realize that it isn't old buckets, and that's how I personally like it. As long as they're as effective, that's just about perfect.
      Also this.

I love the tech of a modern light but the crystal clear lens just doesn't work on everything. Even something as basic as my jeep the clear glass lights can make a nice actual quality aftermarket light seem cheap due to the lack of fluting.. even if the fluting would make it function worse it just needs it sometimes for the look.

Like the compromise on the green car a lot, the red car I think looks much much better, but man that green car seems to nail function and form.

Vehicles
      2013 GTI/9-5 Aero SportCombi/993
      05-20-2019 04:53 PM #57
      Congrats Dave!

Pepita sounded great when I first read your post but then I saw that it's running ST seats with that nice almost OEM-ish fabric. Now I'm conflicted .

This:

vs.

This:

Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

9. 05-20-2019 05:03 PM #58

These can be rather jarring except for particularly styled cars, the other fluted lens options posted work much better with most Porsches.

Vehicles
      2013 GTI/9-5 Aero SportCombi/993
      05-20-2019 05:08 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by chopWet View Post
      These can be rather jarring except for particularly styled cars, the other fluted lens options posted work much better with most Porsches.
      Agreed. Works on cars with very extreme mods only. The fluted stuff (which I did not know existed until today) is awesome, however. Despite all this fancy advanced lighting tech for the G-body cars, I still think that a set of regular Euro lights looks perfect, especially with chrome trim rings on a car with chrome window trim, like this one.
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

11. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-20-2019 05:45 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      Agreed. Works on cars with very extreme mods only. The fluted stuff (which I did not know existed until today) is awesome, however. Despite all this fancy advanced lighting tech for the G-body cars, I still think that a set of regular Euro lights looks perfect, especially with chrome trim rings on a car with chrome window trim, like this one.
      All of that.

12. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-20-2019 05:53 PM #61
      On a hotrod or restomod 911? I think the first versions are fine. But the fluted lens versions would be okay as long as they don't diminish light output or pattern.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      The NATO garage: 3 British, 2 German, 2 American.
      05-20-2019 06:34 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      Congrats Dave!
      Pepita sounded great when I first read your post but then I saw that it's running ST seats with that nice almost OEM-ish fabric. Now I'm conflicted .
      Yeah, I've gone through the same mental math... I have always loved the pepita, but after looking at original RS seats, I have come to appreciate the near-OEM look the builder went with here. Which would be fine... I could keep it as is and just fix the headliner and I think the interior may be great for now. We shall see when it shows up. The think I like about the pepita option is that it would match teh silver exterior nicely.

14. Member
      05-20-2019 07:17 PM #63
      Congrats! Look forward to checking it out someday. Looks like something I'd love to own someday

15. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      05-20-2019 07:19 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by dubjager View Post

That's what I have and I just love it. At certain angles you can see the projector but not all and I like that it looks stock!
      Love everything about this.
      Instagram - efrie004

Vehicles
      '12 Ford Explorer, '02 EJ251 Outback
      05-20-2019 07:24 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      x2 That looks super clean and handsome
      <<<--Between the Evergreens-->>>
      between.the.evergreens <---my IG

Vehicles
      Present: 991.1 GT3 Past: ND MX-5, GVB STI
      05-20-2019 07:28 PM #66
      Congrats, Dave! Another 911 to the garage.

Vehicles
      '91 Porsche 964, '95 Mercedes E320, '04 Porsche Boxster, '17 Subaru Outback 3.6R
      05-20-2019 09:19 PM #67
      Thanks. While they could be better, they’re still far far better than the stock H5s. Funny enough I used Beetle buckets and lenses. I had to use shorter adjuster screws and longer mounting screws, but it all fits nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
      Like the compromise on the green car a lot, the red car I think looks much much better, but man that green car seems to nail function and form.
      Dubjager’s or mine? Or rather, both? Projectors look excellent on his.

19. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      05-20-2019 09:53 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

20. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-20-2019 09:57 PM #69
      Thanks.

While they could be better, they’re still far far better than the stock H5s. Funny enough I used Beetle buckets and lenses. I had to use shorter adjuster screws and longer mounting screws, but it all fits nicely.
      Really? Did you have to remove the rivet for the exposed mount that accepts the screw? I always wondered if that was possible.

Vehicles
      1991 911, 2014 SQ5, 2016 allroad
      05-21-2019 09:22 AM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by SWeaty View Post
      x2 That looks super clean and handsome
      thanks guys. I love these lights and the pricing was right (about $800 if I remember correctly)

Thanks. While they could be better, they’re still far far better than the stock H5s. Funny enough I used Beetle buckets and lenses. I had to use shorter adjuster screws and longer mounting screws, but it all fits nicely.

Dubjager’s or mine? Or rather, both? Projectors look excellent on his.
      I love yours too! I love how incognito the projectors are!

Anything, including 2 maglites are better than the H5s, I am shocked how bad the stock US lights are.

Dave- can't wait to see what you do with this car. I had my eye on this as my wife (!) was talking about how it would be nice to add another aircooled 911-- but there's just no way to have another car right now. Glad it is going to you so I can see what you do with it!

The previous owner of my 964 contacted me a few years after purchase wondering if I'd be interested in selling and I felt so bad telling him there was no chance. Wife is due in 5 weeks and the plan is to take the baby home in the 964!

Vehicles
      1991 911, 2014 SQ5, 2016 allroad
      05-21-2019 09:44 AM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
      What do they charge? I see their website is 'under construction'
      Hey Chapel so sorry- just saw this. About 600 if I remember correctly.

his email is [email protected] if you want to reach out (no affiliation, just a happy customer!)

Vehicles
      12 XC70 T6 | 09 Silverado
      05-21-2019 10:39 AM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by dubjager View Post
      Hey Chapel so sorry- just saw this. About 600 if I remember correctly.

his email is [email protected] if you want to reach out (no affiliation, just a happy customer!)
      wow, that's CHEAP for something that looks that good.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      The NATO garage: 3 British, 2 German, 2 American.
      05-24-2019 09:44 PM #73
      OK, so it is a week later and the car arrived today! Short story is this: I think I got the bargain of the year. I love this thing, it is an amazing hoot to drive! But first... how we got here.

The BaT auction closed on Thursday May 16 at 1:30 pm. Within an hour I was on the phone with the seller getting things squared away. Amazingly nice guy, super helpful, he just wants the transaction to go well and for me to love the car. By the next day, Friday morning, I have wired him the money and he immediately confirmed it arrived by 1:00 pm his time, less than 24 hours after the auction closed. He placed all the ownership documents in FedEx on Friday and I had them Saturday morning. Friday afternoon, I called US Luxury Shippers (Jackie, great guy) and they arranged a super-nice high-end enclosed trailer (used for Pagani, Lambo, etc). I had quotes from $2100 to $3400 to move this car from CT to CA, and this one was smack in the middle, but with a known truck and an involved shipper. Since they had a good rep, did lots of high-end cars, i decided too go with it. Within a couple hours. they then arranged to pick the car up the very next day. How cool is that?!? The truck arrives on time, at noon in Connecticut on Saturday May 18. Photos and video are taken, car is inspected and off it goes. They promise me the car by May 25 (one week) and nicely enough, they contact me several times along the way to give me updates. Five days later, they call me and tell me it will be delivered on Friday May 2 between 8 am and 10 am. Sure enough, the car shows up at 10 am (driver calls me 30 minutes in advance) and we arrange a drop off point under the freeway not far from me.

Here's what I see once the trailer opens up (the driver explains that this is a $400K top-of-the-line trailer!).

I'll post some videos later, but the trailer and driver were great,a nd we get the car down with no issues. She cranks right up and
      "BRRAAAAAP"
      Wow, that's a nice introduction to this car. Probably going to be too loud for CA, and I'll [post more later on my efforts with regard to emissions (it's moving along).

So, I drive the 1/4 mile to my house and I'm absolutely in love. The steering is far lighter than my 1985 Turbo. I don't sense a lot of push in the corners, but I'm not moving too hard. The engine sounds great, and the exhaust is fun. The interior is far better than I thought, it really is perfect (except for the headliner).

So, I get her into the garage and settle her in with the rest of the crew. My first job: replace the yellow headlamp lenses with the clear ones that the seller included in the sale. More to come, but for now, just here ya go...

Vehicles
      16v I4, Turbocharged V6, Gas drinking V8, High revving V10
      05-24-2019 09:49 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

Vehicles
      2014 Ford Focus ST, 2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Ti Sport
      05-24-2019 10:04 PM #75
      That’s flipping awesome Dave. Can’t wait to see what the future holds for it (and for some video footage )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast