VWVortex.com - I bought a flagship Audi with 200k+ miles that is old enough to vote - AKA laugh at my poor decision making skills
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I bought a flagship Audi with 200k+ miles that is old enough to vote - AKA laugh at my poor decision making skills

Vehicles
      '67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '01 S8, '13 CC
      05-24-2019 02:46 PM #1
      I've always thought that D2s looked absolutely amazing, but could never bring myself to consider one because of the perceived risk of buying an older car that was so expensive new and the cost of ownership. Then a local friend of mine bought one last year with a bad motor. And another with a bad transmission. Suddenly, having access to a potential parts car because a real possibility...

So I started passively looking at D2s again. Looked at one locally that was enormously overpriced and not in amazing shape. I didn't buy it, but driving it made me want one even more.

Then Osin34 (Buddy) mentioned in a thread on here that he was selling his. Only problem... he lives 1,000 miles from me.

So I hemmed and hawed about it and would go re-read the whole ad every few weeks thinking about it and the logistics of getting it home. Looked at another D2 in the meantime, but ultimately passed on it as well. Finally just bit the bullet and sent Buddy a message, asked a bunch of questions, and made a deal. My son is 9, and I figured it would be a good father/son experience for the two of us to fly up and drive the car back. So that's what we did. Took a longer way home to go through Vermont, Massachusetts, CT, NYC, Philly, and DC on our way home. Total trip was just over 1,100 miles.

So we got on a plane.

We flew up to Albany, NY and Buddy picked us up there since there wasn't an airport of any decent size closer to his house in West Rutland, VT. I had checked the weather before we left SC and it was supposed to be cold and raining. Imagine my surprise when we landed and the pilot said it was 32 and snowing. We aren't used to that in SC.

Got back to Buddy's house and took a look at the car, looked at all the documentation, and signed the papers. Stopped to get some dinner on our way to the hotel that I had booked for the night. Looked through a lot of the documentation for the car before going to bed. It was bought as a CPO car by the 2nd owner.

Next morning we woke up to this.

This place was right down the street from our hotel and looked interesting, so we stopped here for breakfast before starting out on our journey. It was FANTASTIC.
      http://vtsugarandspice.com/

Passed this cool, little bridge on our way out to I-91 and stopped for a picture.

Made it to Massachusetts, then Connecticut. (I stopped taking pictures of the signs after this because some of them were not particularly convenient to stop next to)

Drove through the Lincoln Tunnel in NYC on our way to Philly, where we made a real quick stop (after everything touristy was closed, unfortunately). Then stopped for dinner in Baltimore before making it to our hotel for the evening just north of DC. Got up the next morning and did the tourist thing in DC. My son had never been before, and he thought it was cool.

I neglected to take a picture of the first fuel stop in North Haven CT, but we stopped in Gainesville VA for our second fuel stop, and our third (and final) fuel stop was in Gaffney SC. Averaged 21.5 mpg on the trip. Not too bad.

That was almost 2 months ago now... I'll try to keep this thread updated as time goes on.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2012 A6 3.0T, 2013 BMW 128i
      05-24-2019 02:57 PM #2
      Congrats! That looked like a fun trip. I hope the car holds up and treats you well, I am a fan of those older A8s/S8s and wanted one for a while, debated getting one before picking up my A6. 135k on it now and hope to hit 200k with it... fingers crossed.

Vehicles
      M44/40F20CS65
      05-24-2019 03:02 PM #3
      Love it. Congrats. One of my favorite Audis of all time. Enjoy it and best of luck.

5. Member
      05-24-2019 03:06 PM #4
      Rutland huh, funny I have a good friend from college up there. Pretty country up there and have marble for the sidewalks and curbs

I fully approve of this car! It's the big brother to my S6 Avant
      -------------------------
      02 S6 Avant
      99.5 A4 2.8 Q Tip
      73 914 2.0 - 2.7 conversion in progress
      64 356 SC / 65 Ducati Falcon 80

6. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      05-24-2019 03:13 PM #5
      Looks like a fun trip! My college buddy lived in Rutland for awhile when he was flying for Cape Air. His FB feed was always plants, flowers, streams etc. He claimed there was nothing else to do there other than hike and take photos.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Vehicles
      '19 Tesla Model 3P, '15 BMW i3 BEV, '01 Lotus Elise S2
      05-24-2019 03:17 PM #6
      Congrats, also love the timeless design that adorn Audi’s form that era.

And to add an anecdote of sorts. There’s an elderly man down the street from here that’s driving one just like yours, and I’m always wondering when I see him if he’s a retired samurai too

Are you ... now?

flick
      r
      | Listen to No Agenda!

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdog View Post
      The internet has gotten significantly better since Russians started buying video cameras.

Vehicles
      '13 Volt, '05 330ci ZHP, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      05-24-2019 03:22 PM #7
      Nice score! Those are my second favorite large luxury sedans, right behind the E38. I'd love to have one on air....

"Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection"

Vehicles
      the kidney people wouldn't take it
      05-24-2019 04:17 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Looks like a fun trip! My college buddy lived in Rutland for awhile when he was flying for Cape Air. His FB feed was always plants, flowers, streams etc. He claimed there was nothing else to do there other than hike and take photos.
      Rutland's airport is hilarious. It's a house with a bar upstairs and the TSA checkpoint is the back door they use to let you out onto the airstrip. Last I tried to fly out of there on Cape Air the arrival/departure screen was busted and the gate agent was away so nobody knew we had no incoming flight to pick us up.

Eventually we all got on a van to go to Boston.
      call it potatography

Vehicles
      2017 Jetta S 5MT
      05-24-2019 04:23 PM #9
      This car has the Ronin bonafides.
      Sent from my basement using two tin cans and a string.

Vehicles
      '92 Jetta 2.1L 16V '08 Mazda3 GT '19 Ram Sport
      05-24-2019 04:50 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyD View Post
      This.

InstaGram J92Jcarpic 100% Stance Free

Vehicles
      Tacoma, MKV GTI, 951
      05-24-2019 05:54 PM #11
      I've got a buddy in the Charlotte area who has 2 D2's that he's looking to get rid of cheaply if you're looking for some parts cars. IIRC they're both in great shape and run, but have lost second gear (as they do).
      Lower-IT
      // DROP // DRAG // DESTROY
      OpenRoadTuning

13. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      05-24-2019 06:39 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by turbo_nine View Post
      Rutland's airport is hilarious. It's a house with a bar upstairs and the TSA checkpoint is the back door they use to let you out onto the airstrip. Last I tried to fly out of there on Cape Air the arrival/departure screen was busted and the gate agent was away so nobody knew we had no incoming flight to pick us up.

Eventually we all got on a van to go to Boston.
      Hahaha. Oh man. That’s fantastic. One of those stories that pisses you off while it’s happening but it makes for such a great story later on.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Vehicles
      '19 GLI
      05-24-2019 07:59 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyD View Post
      YES!

Love the car, also love your son's shirt!
      16 Jetta Sport 1.8T 5spd
      19 GLI 35th 6spd
      88 Corvette 13.8 @ 101mph
      18 Ducati Monster 821

Vehicles
      '14 WRB Frontier, '13 Mazda3, '10 Mini Clubman, '08 Outback, '98 M3, '91 GTI
      05-24-2019 09:13 PM #14
      Love the car! Cool story too, it's pretty awesome that you were able to make those memories - bet he never forgets that trip!

Maybe I'm a crazy person, but I think you could do a LOT worse than a D2 S8. More than a few moons ago, an intern at one of my old jobs (a kid who was barely in college, didn't come
      from a lot of money either) bought a D2 S8 for $2k. A few months later, the car developed the telltale rattle at startup (hydraulic tensioners were going) and he let it go too long, and one day they went on startup and the car ate a couple valves.

He actually got very lucky as there wasn't much damage to the head or pistons, so all he had to do was replace a few valves and guides, and off he went. He drove that car for about 5 years (we kept in touch) until just a few years ago. I was amazed that he was able to keep that car going without it ruining his life. Towards the end the transmission was getting soft (another known issue) but it never blew up on him.

D2 S8's have a soft spot in my heart. Ronin is one of my favorite movies of all time.
      Selling 2 6-speed cars with roughly 120k on them - ads will be posted soon

1) 2008 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 6-speed sedan - 115k
      2) 2013 Mazda3 iTouring 6-speed hatchback - 121k

Vehicles
      14 s4 6mt
      05-24-2019 09:39 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Helltime View Post
      YES!

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg Dee-Lux View Post
      There’s an elderly man down the street from here that’s driving one just like yours, and I’m always wondering when I see him if he’s a retired samurai too
      Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      D2 S8's have a soft spot in my heart. Ronin is one of my favorite movies of all time.
      this x5, only on TCL would we see Ronin and Roadkill content in the same post. just happened to rewatch Ronin again last week, still one of the greatest car chase movies after all these years.

Vehicles
      7 Speed RGASM
      05-24-2019 09:42 PM #16
      Nice story, and great car to pick up.

I have yet to meet an Audi I didn't like (and that includes the problematic 100s my Dad kept buying in the mid-late 70s).
      2018 Golf R - mine, mine, all mine.
      2017 Golf Alltrack SEL+Tech - Son #1. In a galaxy far, far away
      2014 Dodge Durango Limited AWD - Wife's
      2004 Acura TSX - Son #2. The sax-mobile
      1967 Chevrolet Corvette - I promise to get this car back on the road in 2018....

Vehicles
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      05-24-2019 09:43 PM #17
      Congrats! Super awesome.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

19. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      05-24-2019 10:03 PM #18
      Nice car and cool story.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

Vehicles
      2013 5.0 F-150 1966 MGB 1988 VW Fox Wagon
      05-24-2019 10:12 PM #19
      That's a neat car you bought. Maybe I'll see it if I ever get to a C&C here soon.
      (sheriff)Early, I though you said this was a drug possum.
      (Early) Sure, I drug him from the ditch.
      (sheriff) I wish you told me that before you sold him to me.

Vehicles
      Present: 991.1 GT3 Past: ND MX-5, GVB STI
      05-25-2019 02:03 AM #20
      Nice! Congrats on the acquisition, and thanks for sharing the trip with us. Must be quite the experience to go through with your son!

Vehicles
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      05-25-2019 05:59 AM #21
      I was SO hoping when I saw your thread title that you were talking about Buddy's S8.

I bought his R32 leather seats from him around this time last year and he told me he was thinking of selling. I've been watching his FS thread languish and even sent a link to Crispyfritter at one point.

Buddy is an awesome guy and I am sure the car will serve you well. Did you get to see his R32?

Anyway, great car, great trip, great story for you and your son. In for updates.

Also I am so glad you got to eat at Sugar & Spice. One of my favorite breakfast places of all times. We stay at Killington for my daughters birthday weekend every year and going to Sugar & Spice is one of the highlights every time. They even put a candle on her chocolate chip pancakes.

Vehicles
      05-26-2019 04:20 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Lawn_Mower View Post
      I've got a buddy in the Charlotte area who has 2 D2's that he's looking to get rid of cheaply if you're looking for some parts cars. IIRC they're both in great shape and run, but have lost second gear (as they do).
      PM'd.

Quote Originally Posted by Helltime View Post
      Thanks! He absolutely loves Roadkill. We went to the final day of drag week last year and he got to talk with Finnegan for a little bit and even sat in Blasphemi. We're planning to go back for a couple days of drag week this year.

Quote Originally Posted by mike in SC View Post
      That's a neat car you bought. Maybe I'll see it if I ever get to a C&C here soon.
      Hopefully so! I took the rabbit truck yesterday because I was took some wheels with me. Maybe next month!

Quote Originally Posted by Meroving1an View Post
      Nice! Congrats on the acquisition, and thanks for sharing the trip with us. Must be quite the experience to go through with your son!
      It was a fantastic experience. That was really the only way I could justify it in my mind. (It's not like I really needed a 4th car to have to work on, haha)

Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      I was SO hoping when I saw your thread title that you were talking about Buddy's S8.

I bought his R32 leather seats from him around this time last year and he told me he was thinking of selling. I've been watching his FS thread languish and even sent a link to Crispyfritter at one point.

Buddy is an awesome guy and I am sure the car will serve you well. Did you get to see his R32?

Anyway, great car, great trip, great story for you and your son. In for updates.

Also I am so glad you got to eat at Sugar & Spice. One of my favorite breakfast places of all times. We stay at Killington for my daughters birthday weekend every year and going to Sugar & Spice is one of the highlights every time. They even put a candle on her chocolate chip pancakes.
      His R32 was super sweet. I was a bit jealous. Sugar & Spice was amazing! I would 100% go back if I was in the area again.

Vehicles
      05-26-2019 04:49 PM #23
      One of the first things I did with the car was look into the A/C. It never blew cold as long as Buddy owned it (and living in VT, I would guess it's easy to get by without it). A/C is pretty much a requirement here in the south, though... There was a receipt from about 10 years ago where the compressor was replaced. I figured what the hell and just filled the system. It works, but it's not as cold as I would like. Probably should have pulled a vacuum on it before filling it. Oh well. I'll take a better look at it eventually.

Also picked up the missing brackets from the valve covers from my friend with the parts car in order to run the engine covers over the valve covers.

Went on a weekend trip to Chattanooga for a couple car shows. From Greenville, there's no great way to get to Chattanooga. You either have to go down to Atlanta and back up, up to Knoxville and then down... Or just take country highways through the mountains, which is what I prefer to do. Taking highways 64 and 74 through the mountains adds about an hour to the drive to Chattanooga, but it is SO much nicer. Stopped along the Ocoee River in the Tennessee Valley Authority for this picture.

Got to have a nice talk with a police officer the next morning. Turns out that somebody stole the license plate off of my car in the hotel parking lot that night. Luckily the nice officer just wrote me a warning and said that if I got pulled over again to just show the warning to the next officer.

One common issue with Audis is that they use plastic bushings on the sun visors, and the plastic will disintegrate, causing the sun visor clip to not actually hold onto the sun visors. A little bit of clear tubing fixed that right up.

Unfortunately, while Buddy had the car, somebody ran into the car in a parking lot, which resulted in a broken mirror on the passenger side. Buddy wasn't adventurous enough to attempt the replacement and epoxy'd it in place and wrapped it with electrical tape to keep it in place. It worked for the time being, but my son knocked into it walking by it and broke the epoxy loose. I wasn't sure about leaving it with only the electrical tape holding it in place, so I picked up a replacement mirror from the parts car. Replacing it was an adventure. Everything was way more robustly designed than I'm used to working on VWs.

Also grabbed the front plate delete panel off of the parts car, as well. If I didn't know, I would probably never notice that it's actually Ming Blue rather than Black.

Already have a few goodies sitting on a shelf for the car, but those will be used at a later date as funds allow.

Vehicles
      2018 Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD
      05-26-2019 05:36 PM #24
      Surprised you couldn’t get a flight into Burlington VT or Lebanon, NH (also a Cape Air airstrip). Hope you made it to Hill Farmstead while you were up there. Congrats on the car, hopefully it lives a long life in the south.

05-26-2019 05:41 PM #25
      I figured I’d chime in and tell you I’m proud of you.

Seriously, these are great cars and really do stand up to age and miles well. I enjoyed mine, and I see the current owner also enjoys it too.

Chris
      | 2017 Elantra | 2018 JLU Sport | 2003 Mercedes S55 AMG (for sale) | 2001 BMW 740 iL | 1974 SuperBeetle | 1962 Ford Unibody | The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast