VWVortex.com - I bought a flagship Audi with 200k+ miles that is old enough to vote - AKA laugh at my poor decision making skills
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I bought a flagship Audi with 200k+ miles that is old enough to vote - AKA laugh at my poor decision making skills

Vehicles
      '67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '01 S8, '13 CC
      06-10-2019 09:16 AM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by jddaigle View Post
      What kind of differences are you finding? Stronger clips? More screws as opposed to clips or friction fit? I'm always curious what makes any given manufacturer's high-end cars different from its lower-end models under the skin.
      As an example, the door panel on a 2001 Jetta is held in with 9 clips and the door panel falls apart if you look at it the wrong way. 2001 S8, door panel has 10 clips (only one more), but feels like you could run over it with a car and it would be fine. It's easily twice as heavy as the VW door panel (probably more like 3x). Clip design is very different (more robust). The mk4 has cheesy spring type clips, but the Audi uses more secure post type clips. Additionally, the Audi has seals that seals the door panel to the door. Definitely don't have that in the mk4. And the Audi has it's own speaker enclosure for the door speakers. VW just uses the door shell for the speaker enclosure.

Also on the topic of door differences, window regulator design is different. VW holds the glass at the bottom with clamps and everything is assembled in place (glass in the door, regulator in the door, tighten clamps, etc) and relies on the clamps and friction in the track to position the window. Audi also clamps the window to the regulator at the bottom, but the sides of the class are bolted into a track to position the window, and the entire thing comes out of the door as an assembly with the window frame. An example below from eBay.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      74 R90/6, 957, 914
      06-10-2019 10:42 AM #52
      Previous owner to the previous owner here, I sold this S8 to Buddy. Super glad that it's holding up pretty well. here's a pic from when I owned it in Minnesota.

Vehicles
      '81 Sportruck, '82 Jetta Diesel
      06-10-2019 11:19 AM #53
      My buddy has several of these, he manual swaps them. I have always loved these cars.
      DCIVW
      CE.

Vehicles
      2001 S8 // 2004 .:R32 // 2009 Tundra
      06-10-2019 07:07 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by OptimusGlen View Post
      Previous owner to the previous owner here, I sold this S8 to Buddy. Super glad that it's holding up pretty well. here's a pic from when I owned it in Minnesota.

Car has held up so good my man.. Wish i could of kept it.. got a truck and i don’t need 3 cars and 2 daily drivers otherwise i would of held onto it for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2001 S8 // 2004 .:R32

Vehicles
      '06 Toyota Land Cruiser
      06-10-2019 11:26 PM #55
      It's impossible for me to read your thread without reminiscing about my old '02, they're such cool cars and the seats were about perfect.

Good luck with yours (I was able to escape without transmission problems), and here is a pic of mine for old time's sake.

Vehicles
      06-12-2019 09:35 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by OptimusGlen View Post

Do you happen to have a record of what you replaced on the car? I know Buddy mentioned that you did the timing belt and thermostat and whatnot, but curious if you remembered what all you replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by dubdaze68 View Post
      My buddy has several of these, he manual swaps them. I have always loved these cars.
      Assuming I keep the car long enough (I tend to either keep cars 6 months and not do much with them or keep them for years and dump tons of money into them), then a manual swap would be on the to-do list eventually. Who is your friend?

Quote Originally Posted by aging_fleet View Post
      It's impossible for me to read your thread without reminiscing about my old '02, they're such cool cars and the seats were about perfect.

Good luck with yours (I was able to escape without transmission problems), and here is a pic of mine for old time's sake.
      Looks good! I was amazed how comfortable the car is. It was 1,100 miles home and I felt like I could have done it again when I got home. My wife's new Subaru, for comparison, the seats start to get uncomfortable after about a half hour.

Vehicles
      '81 Sportruck, '82 Jetta Diesel
      06-12-2019 10:59 AM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post

Assuming I keep the car long enough (I tend to either keep cars 6 months and not do much with them or keep them for years and dump tons of money into them), then a manual swap would be on the to-do list eventually. Who is your friend?
      I'm not even sure if he still even uses Vortex at all, and can't remember his last user name to even check, but he is jonfarthammer on Instagram. Not sure if this link will work. It did not.

Last edited by dubdaze68; 06-12-2019 at 11:02 AM.
      DCIVW
      CE.

9. Member
      06-12-2019 11:14 AM #58
      I'm tempted to manual swap when my S6 trans takes a dump...either that or a full rebuild with street-sauce torque converter.
      I hear the manual swap ones put down 25-30whp more
      -------------------------
      02 S6 Avant
      73 914 2.0 - 2.7 conversion in progress
      64 356 SC / 65 Ducati Falcon 80
      99.5 A4 2.8 Q Tip - RIP taken out by a tree 19.5 after buying

Vehicles
      Clownshoe, Tesla 3
      06-12-2019 11:28 AM #59
      I want you both to know good luck, we're all counting on you.

Another Ronin fanboy, manual swap, hit the gym, lawyer up, etc etc. Had a buddy with a D2 S8 and man what a sweet ride. Always wanted one. I love the way the transmission downshifts as you slow.. one of the few autos that felt like it was actually in the right gear ready for action.

No good way from Greenville to Chattanooga? Round here that's considered damn near a straight shot
      Dash cam people suck. Don't be a dash cam person.

Quote Originally Posted by Dravenport View Post
      this thread is a mess, I can't tell if it's full of trolls or idiots and I'm not sure it matters

Vehicles
      06-12-2019 12:31 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by dubdaze68 View Post
      I'm not even sure if he still even uses Vortex at all, and can't remember his last user name to even check, but he is jonfarthammer on Instagram. Not sure if this link will work. It did not.

Added him to my following list.

Quote Originally Posted by JMURiz View Post
      I'm tempted to manual swap when my S6 trans takes a dump...either that or a full rebuild with street-sauce torque converter.
      I hear the manual swap ones put down 25-30whp more
      Advanced Automation will sell you a full swap kit for your S6 to make it a bolt in thing. No reason not to do it.

https://advancedautomotion.com/shop/...cltumisk3t8vi5

Quote Originally Posted by smoothsix View Post
      I want you both to know good luck, we're all counting on you.

Another Ronin fanboy, manual swap, hit the gym, lawyer up, etc etc. Had a buddy with a D2 S8 and man what a sweet ride. Always wanted one. I love the way the transmission downshifts as you slow.. one of the few autos that felt like it was actually in the right gear ready for action.

No good way from Greenville to Chattanooga? Round here that's considered damn near a straight shot

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123