Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I bit the bullet...

Vehicles
      ‘17 R DSG LSG // ‘19 Tiguan S 4Motion with DAP
      06-06-2019 09:03 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by vw_nc_dude View Post
      I am somewhat in between getting an Arteon or a Golf R. Can you list pro/cons of having one or the other?
      Honestly, they’re very different animals altogether. I loved my R, bought it brand new in 2017, had APR stage 1 low torque tune and it was face melting fast. I have a 90mi roundtrip commute, and sometimes the R wasn’t exactly the most comfortable commuter car, although it was fun as hell. I test drove the Arteon just for the hell of it, and I loved it. It’s big, it it doesn’t feel as big as it actually is. Having DCC is a plus, I loved it in the R. I honestly don’t mind the 8 speed Aisin as much as I thought I would. The Arteon is definitely no slouch either, it can scoot.

I would say it depends on what you’re looking for- fast/nimble/small go R. Comfortable, quick, drop dead gorgeous go Arteon!
      '17 R LSG//DSG//DAP//APR Stage 1 Low Torque
      ‘19 SBM Tiguan S 4Motion with DAP

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      MK7 GOLF 1.8TSI
      06-06-2019 10:10 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by chrisMk6TDi View Post
      Honestly, they’re very different animals altogether. I loved my R, bought it brand new in 2017, had APR stage 1 low torque tune and it was face melting fast. I have a 90mi roundtrip commute, and sometimes the R wasn’t exactly the most comfortable commuter car, although it was fun as hell. I test drove the Arteon just for the hell of it, and I loved it. It’s big, it it doesn’t feel as big as it actually is. Having DCC is a plus, I loved it in the R. I honestly don’t mind the 8 speed Aisin as much as I thought I would. The Arteon is definitely no slouch either, it can scoot.

I would say it depends on what you’re looking for- fast/nimble/small go R. Comfortable, quick, drop dead gorgeous go Arteon!
      Thanks much for the feedback. I have a 60 miles round-trip commute and was thinking the same. Looks like the Arteon is a great choice. Also, I could save some serious money if I go with the SE 4motion when compared to the Golf R.

4. 06-06-2019 10:41 PM #28
      Well done👌🏽

Vehicles
      2018 Tiguan SEL-P, 2015 Jetta 1,8T Sport
      06-07-2019 01:14 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by chrisMk6TDi View Post

Have never owned an R, but this sounds spot on to me.
      2018 Tiguan SEL-P Platinum Gray

Vehicles
      ‘17 R DSG LSG // ‘19 Tiguan S 4Motion with DAP
      06-07-2019 07:34 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by vw_nc_dude View Post
      Thanks much for the feedback. I have a 60 miles round-trip commute and was thinking the same. Looks like the Arteon is a great choice. Also, I could save some serious money if I go with the SE 4motion when compared to the Golf R.
      No problem! Also, on my commute in this morning I averaged 32.1mpg... that’s about +2 over the R! And, I can still beat most midsize family sedans off the line
      '17 R LSG//DSG//DAP//APR Stage 1 Low Torque
      ‘19 SBM Tiguan S 4Motion with DAP

7. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 Alltrack SE, '15 Passat TDI SEL
      06-07-2019 10:43 AM #31
      man, 90 mile round trip of premium, even at 32 mpg (which I'm guessing was on par with the Golf R?) that adds up quite fast.

Our TDI Passat SEL will be kept for a few more years, hopefully they have the Arteon kicking around in 2022 and are a bit more efficient. 300 torques will be mighty tough to let go.
      '15 Passat SEL (NOS bought April '17 w/ 60 miles on the clock)
      '17 Alltrack SE

Bought back: '10 Jetta TDI sedan manual, '12 Passat SE (roof and Nav)

8. 06-07-2019 11:02 AM #32
      I had a MK7 R as well before I got the Arteon and both do drive similar in a way.. Plus the Arteon has the R engine =) So I will surely be getting the APR Stage 1 as well when it comes out.. I wasn't sure I could live with the Aisin tranny from the DSG, but I actually enjoy the smoothness of it.. and it shifts fast enough for me in this style of car.. I won't be racing the thing anymore..

9. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 Alltrack SE, '15 Passat TDI SEL
      06-07-2019 12:01 PM #33
      best of luck pushing the trany with increased power. I wonder if it's the same one used in the 2.0t 4mo Atlas APR played with.
      '15 Passat SEL (NOS bought April '17 w/ 60 miles on the clock)
      '17 Alltrack SE

Bought back: '10 Jetta TDI sedan manual, '12 Passat SE (roof and Nav)

Vehicles
      2014 CSG GTI
      06-07-2019 03:39 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by dubonaire_B4 View Post
      This trend is not isolated to the Arteon, VW, or cars etc. This is the world we live in today. Everything people say and point out is negative. You see it all over these forums indeed but you'll see it all over social media and in your local coffee shops, schools and neighborhoods as well. We're all guilty of it at times I suppose but, we live in a world of haters and I'm afraid that there's no change in sight.
      ^^^^ You took that thought right out of my head; totally agree. It's almost like a feeding frenzy of gleefully negative people hating on whatever just because they can.

Anyway, back to the OP, that is one gorgeous car. I actually prefer its looks to the Audi A5; for me personally, it's a bit larger of a car than I would want. To each his own. Congratulations on your purchase, hope you enjoy it!
      2014 CSG GTI

11. Member vdubs kopfschuss GLI's Avatar
      Vehicles
      i just want ALL the cars...
      06-07-2019 04:28 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by bradst3r View Post
      I had a MK7 R as well before I got the Arteon and both do drive similar in a way.. Plus the Arteon has the R engine =) So I will surely be getting the APR Stage 1 as well when it comes out.. I wasn't sure I could live with the Aisin tranny from the DSG, but I actually enjoy the smoothness of it.. and it shifts fast enough for me in this style of car.. I won't be racing the thing anymore..
      one thing to remember, this 8 speed the Arteon has is built for comfort. while it has the quickness it needs to be sporty and fun for the Arteon, it just doesnt need the abruptness of a DSG.
      this Arteon has GT designs written all over it. VW wants you to accelerate with refinement, they dont want you to feel the speed. they just want you to put your foot down and know it is going faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldog12 View Post
      best of luck pushing the trany with increased power. I wonder if it's the same one used in the 2.0t 4mo Atlas APR played with.
      the Aislin 8 speed transmission is actually better at handling torque and horsepower than the DSG. we wont have any problems with it, unless someone goes high torque/hp numbers but at that point that should be expected.
      90 G60 stage IV BBM Corrado SOLD :: 97 BMW 328i - full SCCA spec - SOLD :: 05 MINI Cooper S - full SCCA spec - SOLD :: 12 GLI SE - non-sunroof - static slammed that everyone thought i was riding air - SOLD :: 16 GTI SE DSG.LP - APR stage I+ SOLD :: 16 Tiguan R-Line 4Motion SOLD :: 18 Tiguan SE 4Motion SOLD :: 17 Jetta GLI SE - SOLD :: 19 Atlas SEL 4Motion - Wife's Daily :: 19 Arteon SEL-P R-Line 4Motion - Daily

Vehicles
      VW - CC , 2009 , 2015 , Volvo 2007
      06-07-2019 06:31 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by vdubs kopfschuss GLI View Post
      one thing to remember, this 8 speed the Arteon has is built for comfort. while it has the quickness it needs to be sporty and fun for the Arteon, it just doesnt need the abruptness of a DSG.
      this Arteon has GT designs written all over it. VW wants you to accelerate with refinement, they dont want you to feel the speed. they just want you to put your foot down and know it is going faster.

the Aislin 8 speed transmission is actually better at handling torque and horsepower than the DSG. we wont have any problems with it, unless someone goes high torque/hp numbers but at that point that should be expected.
      Just as in the Arteon ~
      I recently purchased (( 2018 EX-L 2.0 10-speed )) 9 Months ago - well there was talk and Speculation about TQ. Load with stage 2 Tunes or E85 Tunes , Please do all the Necessary Research ..

I Found 10 Speed being used in other Models and Versions , Trans is made good old USA in GA ..

Two Other 2019's uses , had much Higher Tow Rating of 2000lbs & 3500lbs , so just wait and see where else 8 speed Trans Turns Up ..

I couldn't Hold Out any longer on My New Buy the Arteon was to Late to Market for Us ..

The Honda Accord 2.0l 10 speed will stomp it , but I just didn't Buy for Performance , some Minus's compared to VW , Trunk Storage and usage Not as Good , it also seams some Oil Use is Normal for these Motors as they have Piston
      Cooling - Running Oil through Pistons , Very Light Oil 0-20 required , so I use 5W-20 and Touch of Lucas - seems much better .

My CC used No Oil , Trunk was Huge and Shape took way more Items , Oh and Pulled the Lever the Seats Go Down - Honda's Do Not - ask Me Auto Manufactures are just getting El Cheap-O
      No Metal Trimmed Buttons which were Super Nice on CC , None on the Honda Accord EX-L Upper model Mind You ~
      Looks like those got Dropped on CC's Replacement also , and it also look like there will be a lot of Hood Damage with any Little Fender Benders ..

Looking @ Compression Ratio's - will Tell You a lot about the Two Motors , and I'm sure everyone Remembers Why VW - went from 9.8 back to 9.4:1
      You have to take into Acct. Hond'a were running 11.8:1 , so the Piston Cooling & Special New Piston Shape - may just allow them to get away with the Higher Compression - Still Testing ..

Just My 5 Cents ~ That's ~ Nickel Alloy by the way .
      Dan

13. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Corrado, 06 GTI, 15 Sportwagen TDI, 17 Alltrack
      06-09-2019 07:09 PM #37
      I don't hate the Arteon and hope VW sells a bunch of them. But I would never consider buying one. I have been driving VWs since 1972 and never bought a sedan. Every one of them has had a rear hatch of sorts and manual transmissions. Traditional VW purchasers are looking for fuel, space, and cost efficiency. They aren't looking to buy luxury sedans, that is the purpose of Audi.

Vehicles
      2019 Arteon SE 4 Motion, 2012 CC R Line, 1993 Corrado SLC, 1973 Ford Capri
      06-09-2019 07:55 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by lschw1 View Post
      I don't hate the Arteon and hope VW sells a bunch of them. But I would never consider buying one. I have been driving VWs since 1972 and never bought a sedan. Every one of them has had a rear hatch of sorts and manual transmissions. Traditional VW purchasers are looking for fuel, space, and cost efficiency. They aren't looking to buy luxury sedans, that is the purpose of Audi.
      Having owned a Scirocco, GTi, Corrado, Jetta, Passat, CC & and now a new Arteon over the last 35 years, I would think I might be considered a traditional VW purchaser, yet somehow I don't seem to fit any of your definitions of a "Traditional VW purchaser"

15. Member
      Vehicles
      MK7 GOLF 1.8TSI
      06-09-2019 08:44 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by vdubs kopfschuss GLI View Post
      FWIW, I had a 6-speed DSG in my MK6 Golf 2.0TDI and now a 6-speed Aisin in my MK7 Gold 1.8TSI. The Aisin is actually pretty good in sport mode. In fact, I always drive in sport mode now since the MPG impact for me is minimal.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Passat 4MO Wagon, 6sp manual and 1.8T swap. 05 Golf 2.0
      06-12-2019 07:15 PM #40
      The 8sp auto has identical gear ratios as the 8sp in the new Tiguan. The only difference is a lower final drive in the Arteon and shorter tires. The Tiguan turns about 2K at 75mph, what does the Arteon run at 75mph? The Tiguan is happy anywhere from 1600-2000 rpm with little lag, how about the Arteon? I could not find the CD of the Arteon (I've see .26-.30), but the Tiguan is .35. The B5 wagon is supposed to be .29 with the sedan at .27. The sedans got much better mpg than the wagons (easily 10%).
      2019 Tiguan SE 4Mo Orange, temporarily stock. 2001 Passat 4Mo wagon, 1.8T/6sp swapped, Konis, coilover sleeves, A6Q H+R Race springs.
      2005 Golf GLS, 2.Slow, Auto, GTI suspension, sways.
      2001.5 Passat GLX V6, stock. (son#1), 2000 Passat GLS V6 fwd Tip wagon, stock (son#2)

Vehicles
      2018 Tiguan SEL-P, 2015 Jetta 1,8T Sport
      06-12-2019 08:47 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by lschw1 View Post
      But, the Arteon IS a hatch back.
      2018 Tiguan SEL-P Platinum Gray

18. 06-13-2019 10:45 AM #42
      New to VW ownership, just picked up Arteon SE 4M. I get to drive it once in a while as my better half keeps on telling be how nice it is to drive and how well it performs. Test drove a BMW along side the Arteon. VW rode better and didn’t feel so heavy.

I was Leary if the 2.0L Turbo after driving Audi A6 where the turbo lag was horrible. VW got the engine management for this one spot on.

Wish I could get some for my fleet!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12