VWVortex.com - Can you remove the headlight assemblies without removing the bumper?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Can you remove the headlight assemblies without removing the bumper?

1. 06-04-2019 04:12 PM #1
      Can you just remove the grill to access the hidden torx screw, or does the entire bumper really need to come off?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      06-04-2019 07:55 PM #2
      There's a lip under the headlight itself so you need to either carefully push the bumper down in front of the headlight, or remove the front bumper (removing the front bumper will make it much easier)
      Fuelly | 2012 GLI M/T | APR Stage 2 | SouthBend Stage 2 Daily | Forge Short Shift / Side Shift | CTS Turbo Intake | GFB DV+ | AWE Tuning Touring Turbo-back | Unibrace UB | CTS Turbo Catch Can | NeuSpeed TOP | ECS Throttle Pipe | ECS Pendulum Mount w/ BFI Stg 2 Insert | I have VCDS if you need it!

4. 06-05-2019 09:57 AM #3
      Thanks, I was afraid of that. Whoever designed this should be forced to travel around the world and change out headlight assemblies for free until they're 100 years old.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW Jetta SE
      06-05-2019 11:34 AM #4
      Its really not that bad. You should be able to get it off in about 15 minutes. Just remember to get all the screws in the wheel wells too.

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta 2.Slow
      06-05-2019 12:38 PM #5
      I got mine out without taking off the bumper.....just tape the hell out of the top corners where the point of the fender meets them or you'll scratch the living crap out of the lens. That little point is sharp as a razor. Ask me how I know...removed mine before I joined this site. Learned a valuable lesson and didn't repeat the mistake on the other side.

As extra protection, slide a credit card in there as a reminder that you'll need to use it again if you're not cautious or liberal enough with the tape application
      "If I learned from my mistakes.....I'd be a genius."
      ----------VCDS Available - Contact me via PM----------

8. 06-06-2019 01:08 PM #6
      Yeah, the bumper is fairly easy to take off. I did it when I put fog lights in. I would just go that route in order to change the head light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Jetta Sport 1.8 TSI
      06-06-2019 01:49 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Seadweller View Post
      Thanks, I was afraid of that. Whoever designed this should be forced to travel around the world and change out headlight assemblies for free until they're 100 years old.
      Not only that, but the lovely designers in Germany make it a HUGE PITA just to change a DRL bulb. A part that needs replaced every 3 years.

The designers needs to fired.

Vehicles
      BMW 330i
      06-06-2019 07:40 PM #8
      You can partially drop the bumper vs fully removing it. Just support it with something underneath to not over-stress or break anything.
      Current: Mine- 2018 BMW 330i + JB4, 2018 Ram Limited Hemi 4x4 | Hers: 2016 Jetta 1.8T SEL

Past: 2014 GLI Autobahn DSG (very modified ), 2013 Jetta SEL (hers), 2012 Passat V6, 2010 Jetta (hers), 2009 GLI DSG, 2005 WRX (very modified )

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Jetta Sport 1.8 TSI
      06-07-2019 09:38 AM #9
      I just ordered a new set of headlights. The Spyder OE Projector on ECS.

Looks like I am going to attempt removing the bumper. Wish me luck.

Vehicles
      2017 Jetta GLI
      06-10-2019 09:55 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Motley01 View Post
      I just ordered a new set of headlights. The Spyder OE Projector on ECS.

Looks like I am going to attempt removing the bumper. Wish me luck.

GOOD LUCK!!!! Post pics when you are done...and can you post a link to the exact product?

And are you staying with halogen or installing LED/HID?

THANKS
      Last edited by ontwowheels; 06-10-2019 at 09:59 AM.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Jetta Sport 1.8 TSI
      06-10-2019 11:30 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by ontwowheels View Post
      GOOD LUCK!!!! Post pics when you are done...and can you post a link to the exact product?

And are you staying with halogen or installing LED/HID?

THANKS
      Thanks man. I will post plenty pics of before and after install. I will be installing the H7 LED's.

Headlights I purchased https://www.ecstuning.com/b-spyder-p...jhvj11-drl-bk/

I just got the 2016 1.8t Sport two months ago. Still have my happy tags on.

Vehicles
      2017 Jetta GLI
      06-10-2019 12:53 PM #12
      Thanks man. I will post plenty pics of before and after install. I will be installing the H7 LED's.

Awesome, good luck and looking forward to the pics. I may do something with my 17 GLI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      2017 Jetta GLI
      06-10-2019 12:58 PM #13

Are you planning on going with the H7 halogen low beams it comes with or upgrading to HID/LED?

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Jetta Sport 1.8 TSI
      06-12-2019 05:20 PM #14
      I got the new headlights. But I cannot get the bumper off. The grill is attached somewhere and I can't find the screw for them. Please help.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Jetta Sport 1.8 TSI
      06-12-2019 05:29 PM #15
      I got the new headlights. But I cannot get the bumper off. The grill is attached somewhere and I can't find the screw for them. Please help.
      Nevermind I just got the bumper off. Watched a youtube vid and saw that there were only clips. I just yanked real hard on it. Also had the disconnect the fog lights.

Will report back after I get the new headlights installed.

Vehicles
      2017 Jetta GLI
      06-12-2019 07:31 PM #16
      Nevermind I just got the bumper off. Watched a youtube vid and saw that there were only clips. I just yanked real hard on it. Also had the disconnect the fog lights.

Will report back after I get the new headlights installed.
      Careful yo!!! lol....good luck.

Think I did see a video where the grill snaps in, but being careful not to break the snaps.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Jetta Sport 1.8 TSI
      06-13-2019 12:30 AM #17
      Ok I was able to complete the install. Not gonna lie this was a fairly difficult and time consuming job. I took my time, ran into a couple issues. Took me about 4 hours. Now a professional mechanic could probably get this done in 2.5hrs.
      These are Spyder OE Style Projector Headlight Set - Black on ECS.

I replaced the H7 halogens with H7 LEDs. Really happy with the results, I'm liking these headlights and the LED DRLs are sweet. Got them all adjusted with light pattern in my garage.

Here are some pics....

Before:

Vehicles
      2017 Jetta GLI
      06-13-2019 06:00 AM #18
      Ok I was able to complete the install. Not gonna lie this was a fairly difficult and time consuming job. I took my time, ran into a couple issues. Took me about 4 hours. Now a professional mechanic could probably get this done in 2.5hrs.

I replaced the H7 halogens with H7 LEDs. Really happy with the results, I'm liking these headlights and the LED DRLs are sweet. Got them all adjusted with light pattern in my garage.
      Awesome, loosk great. For the 16 Sport, where the DRLs just the single bulb? My 17 GLI has "tube" lights? I prefer those over the single LEDs but your final product does look great, certainly prefer the look of the projector housing over the reflector. Certainly a more upscale look over stock reflector.

Well done.

...and, if I go this route I may be pm'ing the crap out of you...so just letting you know...lol.
      Last edited by ontwowheels; 06-13-2019 at 06:05 AM.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Jetta Sport 1.8 TSI
      06-13-2019 01:46 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by ontwowheels View Post
      Awesome, loosk great. For the 16 Sport, where the DRLs just the single bulb? My 17 GLI has "tube" lights? I prefer those over the single LEDs but your final product does look great, certainly prefer the look of the projector housing over the reflector. Certainly a more upscale look over stock reflector.

Well done.

...and, if I go this route I may be pm'ing the crap out of you...so just letting you know...lol.
      Thanks I appreciate that.

Ya the Spyder headlights have two versions, one with light tube LEDs and one with individual LEDs. I just prefer the look of the individual LEDs.

You can hit me up I'd be glad to help.

Vehicles
      '13 2.0L
      Yesterday 05:37 PM #20

Here are some pics....
      I have the same headlights and used LED low beams as well. I want to put LEDs in the high beams, but heard those are difficult to change with the headlights on the car. So I might not bother.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Jetta Sport 1.8 TSI
      Yesterday 06:30 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by ArminRad View Post
      I have the same headlights and used LED low beams as well. I want to put LEDs in the high beams, but heard those are difficult to change with the headlights on the car. So I might not bother.
      Nice! How do you like them, have you had any issues with them. Ya not worth it to use LEDs for high beams, I rarely ever use my high beams.

In a few weeks I will get the fog light LEDs. I should have got them prior pulling the bumper off.