VWVortex.com - At least it was after Cincy...
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: At least it was after Cincy...

Vehicles
      broken things
      06-07-2019 08:31 PM #1
      Encouraged, nay, EMBOLDENED, by the 1,100 mile trip to Cincy, I decided to drive to work today. 70s all day, gorgeous sunshine, glorious drive.

Took it for a spin at lunch, loving life.

Worked a little later tonight, heading home for family dinner.

Driving home, car stopped DEAD. Tach dropped to zero, not a stall, just abrupt like a switch was flipped.

See this happened once on the way home from Cincy. Thought it stalled, so I downshifted to jump start it.

Nothing. Just engine braking.

Weird.

Came to a stop on the shoulder. Turned key off, turned key on. Right back to life.

Now waiting for a tow truck home. Glad now and not in the middle of Ohio.

I’m thinking coil or plug wires. But maybe ignition switch? I remember fairly catastrophic failure of that in my 16V.

Anyway, pics while the sun goes down.

Last edited by scirocco*joe; 06-08-2019 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Fix the pix!
      1981 Scirocco 5MT
      2017 Golf Alltrack 4MO 6MT

Philadelphia, PA

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      06-07-2019 09:42 PM #2
      Could be many things, but I'm betting ignition switch.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

4. Member
      Vehicles
      81 S, 84 GTI, 86 16V, 92 Cabby
      06-07-2019 09:54 PM #3
      Agreed, easy fix, and if you can get the car to stall by jiggling the switch, that's the best diagnosing technique I know of.

Marlene, Luke's Passat, and the Stepchild all did this, not the others. Not sure why, but I've heard heavily laden key chains even in the remote past can contribute to failure, not sure if that's true.

BTW, why the tow if it came back to life?
      It's hard for me to know exactly what these things cost me. I'm guessing a LOT, but I like them, so that's that.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 06-07-2019 11:09 PM #4
      I had an Audi do this. I was low on gas and thought I just ran dry. Turned out to be old spark wires that dry rotted at the distributor. Coworker shoved the wire down and the car started right up. I then changed the wires.

7. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      06-08-2019 02:39 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      That's what I was thinking. Cheap easy fix.

Also, nice front license plate.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

Vehicles
      85 Scirocco
      06-08-2019 09:22 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by scirocco*joe View Post
      Encourage, nay, EMBOLDENED, by the 1,100 mile trip to Cincy, I decided to drive to work today. 70s all day, gorgeous sunshine, glorious drive.

Driving home, car stopped DEAD. Tach dropped to zero, not a stall, just abrupt like a switch was flipped.

See this happened once on the way home from Cincy. Thought it stalled, so I downshifted to jump start it.

Weird.

Came to a stop on the shoulder. Turned key off, turned key on. Right back to life.

I’m thinking coil or plug wires. But maybe ignition switch? I remember fairly catastrophic failure of that in my 16V.

1. Ignition Switch (your 16v taught me this!)
      2. Loose black wire on the coil (actually rather common)
      4. Distributor hall sender
      Last edited by TheTimob; 06-08-2019 at 11:14 AM.

Vehicles
      broken things
      06-08-2019 10:54 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by echassin View Post
      BTW, why the tow if it came back to life?
      It came back to life on the drive home from Cincy. However, I wasn't as lucky on the drive home from work.

Pics for proof. First tow for the green bean in my entire ownership.

Really nice driver, had a lovely conversation on the way back home. Took great care with the hook up and strapping it down. Would happily use them again - Jonathan from Select Recovery in Philadelphia!

When I pulled the wire from the coil to the distributor, it looked a little crusty, but serviceable. When I tried to reconnect to the coil, it wouldn't push back in - I could see the a ring of clean red at the top of the coil where the boot should overlap. Looking at the wire shroud inside the boot, it was almost like it was a little swollen. I tried whittling it down a bit to see if it would work and got it to click in, but that didn't fix my issue. I guess I will have to replace the plug wires too, but it was worth a shot.

Thankfully, as I pushed the car off the main road, there was a side street to tinker with the car safely. The smell was pretty rough - caught between a refinery and a port-o-john storage yard.

Thank goodness for the nice sunset over the refinery structure.

Off to go place some parts orders from my friends!

1981 Scirocco 5MT

Philadelphia, PA

Vehicles
      broken things
      06-08-2019 10:58 AM #8
      Rereading my post from the side of the road, I can understand Eric's confusion. Here is the timeline:

Philly, present day:
      Encouraged, nay, EMBOLDENED, by the 1,100 mile trip to Cincy, I decided to drive to work today. 70s all day, gorgeous sunshine, glorious drive.

Flashback to Ohio:

Weird.

Flash forward to present day in Philly:

Ended up getting home safely around 9:45.
      Last edited by scirocco*joe; 06-08-2019 at 11:04 AM.
      1981 Scirocco 5MT

Philadelphia, PA

11. 06-13-2019 12:11 AM #9
      I read the title of your thread, and as I'm opening it I see the pics of the Green Bean being loaded onto a rollback (cue flashbacks)...
      My heart drops and I'm thinking OMG PLEASE NO, NOT ANOTHER ONE!

Whew!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by echassin View Post
      Marlene, Luke's Passat, and the Stepchild all did this, not the others. Not sure why, but I've heard heavily laden key chains even in the remote past can contribute to failure, not sure if that's true.
      My BFF that's a VW Master Tech always swore that the heavy laden key chains accelerated their demise. None of his keyrings have more than a few on them, to this day.
      Quote Originally Posted by LT1M21Stingray View Post
      That's what I was thinking. Cheap easy fix.
      Also, nice front license plate.
      Indeed it is.
      Quote Originally Posted by TheTimob View Post
      1. Ignition Switch (your 16v taught me this!)
      Count me in the "ignition switch" camp. As far as the being flaky/intermittent...Granted completely different design, I just had a 944 one fool me for MONTHS until I finally nailed it as the culprit (after eliminating all the other usual suspects )

So have you figured it out yet?

OH and ABOUT your thread title:

Last edited by DiezNutz; 06-13-2019 at 12:19 AM.
      no one cares what you think in real life...
      how do you figure the internet makes it any better.

Vehicles
      broken things
      06-13-2019 02:21 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by DiezNutz View Post
      I read the title of your thread, and as I'm opening it I see the pics of the Green Bean being loaded onto a rollback (cue flashbacks)...
      My heart drops and I'm thinking OMG PLEASE NO, NOT ANOTHER ONE!

Whew!!!!
      Sorry for the freak out session, Eric! Yes, he's safe and sound at home, but currently immobile.

My BFF that's a VW Master Tech always swore that the heavy laden key chains accelerated their demise. None of his keyrings have more than a few on them, to this day.
      Ever since the ignition switch died in my 16V I have been a convert to that thinking. I did that for the 16V and for the Mk1 since I bought it in 2011. I have three keys on this chain: ignition, ???, fuel filler. I guess I can remove the ??? key to cut weight even more.

Thinking about it for a while, it's probably due. The 16V was produced in ~1987 and it failed in ~2009, so that makes ~22 years of service.

The Green Bean was produced in ~1981 and it failed (most likely) in 2019, so that make ~38 years of service. Probably compounded by the hot start issue, which sometimes requires 3-10 starting sessions to blow the excess fuel out.

Count me in the "ignition switch" camp. As far as the being flaky/intermittent...Granted completely different design, I just had a 944 one fool me for MONTHS until I finally nailed it as the culprit (after eliminating all the other usual suspects )

So have you figured it out yet?
      I ordered the switch and some other maintenance items (spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor) I have been thinking about doing from Potterman on Saturday. Things should arrive today or tomorrow and Father's Day weekend will be for wrenching! And maybe a motorcycle ride if I can fit it all in...

Thanks for your vote!
      1981 Scirocco 5MT

Philadelphia, PA

Vehicles
      5 x Scirocco 1, 2 x Golf 1, 1 x cabrio 1
      Yesterday 08:36 AM #11
      Ignition switch fer sure maybe look at doing the lock barrel as well if its pretty loose.
      If it aint a Mk1 then it's a donor....
      Brownrocco resto thread....http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f55/...esto-2339.html
      Blueroc build... https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...y-from-America

14. Yesterday 01:32 PM #12
      Sorry for the freak out session, Eric! Yes, he's safe and sound at home, but currently immobile.

I had a and calmed right down.

I have three keys on this chain: ignition, ???, fuel filler. I guess I can remove the ??? key to cut weight even more.
      you'll be fine with only those. He was really talking about the keyrings on top of keyrings on top of keyrings, with various fobs and trinkets... looking like a janitor's knot of keys.

...Probably compounded by the hot start issue, which sometimes requires 3-10 starting sessions to blow the excess fuel out.
      Sounds like it's vapor locking and ya need a new FPA...

Quote Originally Posted by roccodingo View Post
      Ignition switch fer sure maybe look at doing the lock barrel as well if its pretty loose.
      no one cares what you think in real life...
      how do you figure the internet makes it any better.

Vehicles
      broken things
      Today 12:21 AM #13

I had a and calmed right down.
      Good to know!

[QUOTE=DiezNutz;113444657Sounds like it's vapor locking and ya need a new FPA...

[/QUOTE]

Sure, go ahead and make that suggestion *after* I buy <cough cough> worth of parts from Parts4VWs.com last week!

I guess I should be glad it is only $157 instead of <gasp, howl!>

https://parts4vws.com/collections/vo...cts/431133441c

I thought I had a Scirocco so as to not spend Porsche amounts of money!?

However, new ignition switch arrived today, so I am aiming for a tech day tomorrow to swap out the switch. And plug wires. And spark plugs. And distributor. And rotor. And maybe calipers, carriers and discs.

I love Father's Day weekend.

1981 Scirocco 5MT

Philadelphia, PA